And then there were Four

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blyre

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

While I don't have pics ready, I still wanted to introduce you to my little buns, Speedy and Smokey.

Speedy was born on 6/4/2006 and came into my home on 7/16/2006. She isa Netherlands Dwarf and is a black and white bunny. She is very livelyand loves to be held though not picked up or put down...hehe. She isvery spoiled and is the Queen of the Roost. At least she thinks so.

Smokey was born on 8/7/2006 and came into my home on 10/21/2006. She isthe newest edition to my home and is quickly making her presence known.She is also a Netherlands Dwarf and is gray from nose to tail. She isalready showing an inquisitive personality and has a fondness forrattling her cage bars when she wants out. I think she will prove to bea contender to the title as she has already chased Speedy around thecarpet when the two were introduced earlier in the evening. I hope thisdoesn't prove to be a problem.

Presently, I have their cages side by side so they can get used to eachother and hope to begin bonding them soon. I've never had two bunniesbefore but I already have such love for them both.

I promise to have pictures of my girls soon. :)

Blyre

Hi Blyre!

I'm so happy for you that you are sharing your life with two very special girls now

it was just the saddest thing when i read that you lost your first bunny,a while ago.

But these two girls sound so adorable,and i hope the bonding goes well for you and the girls.

Well of course i will be waiting anxiously for those pictures,we all wanna see!

cheryl

Hi there!

Your two bunnies sound adorable. I love netherlands. I cant wait to see some pics!

Haley and the boys :rabbithop:dutch:bunny19

Tonight I learned what happens when you jump thegun on introducing two rabbits. I tried again to get them acquainted byletting them out and they started fighting again. This time however,they brought their squabble to me and when I tried to separate them, Itook a bite on the inside of my right arm and a scratch on the leftwrist. It appeared to me that Smokey was the aggressor but no matter.

For now, I'm going to seperate the two until I'm sure that they canplay nice together. I checked both buns after their spat and neitherhas any injuries.

Smokey needs time to settle in over here and Speedy needs time to getused to having another rabbit around the house. I'm sure eventually thetwo girls will become friends and keep each other company when I haveto go out.

I'm starting to feel like a single parent here...hehe.

Blyre

Hi! I can't wait to see pics of your little girls.

I'm wondering if they're spayed? It's can be much easier tobond them when those territorial hormones are out of the way.I do hope they learn to like each other!:)

And I want pics!:jumpforjoy:

naturestee wrote:
Hi! I can't wait to see pics of your little girls.

I'm wondering if they're spayed? It's can be much easier tobond them when those territorial hormones are out of the way.I do hope they learn to like each other!:)

And I want pics!:jumpforjoy:
Neither is spayed yet. Speedy is due to go in for it on 12/4 and Smokeyon 2/7 of next year. I just got Smokey last night and I basicallyjumped the gun. As a side note: bunny bites do not feel good....hehe.

I noticed this morning that Smokey is the more aggressive, but I'mchalking that up to being new in the apartment. I'm sure that once shegets settled in, she'll warm up to Speedy. For now, they are onseparate out schedules so I can avoid any serious fights. I want to beable to take my girls to the Vet for NORMAL checkups, not for surgery.

Blyre

I just realized a few minutes ago that byallowing Smokey to interact with Speedy I had not exercized enoughcaution in regards to making sure the newcomer hadn't brought anythinguntoward with her that could be spread to Speedy. I guess I was caughtup in the enthusiasm of having a new bun.

Maybe I'm overreacting in light that I haven't seen anything unusual ineither animal, but I think it might be prudent for me to keep Smokey inher cage for at least 30 days in a sort of quarantine to make sure thatno medical issues arise. I'd rather be safe than sorry and I've alreadylost two bunnies this year and I don't want to take any chances.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Blyre

I think that's probably a good idea. Ikept Fey and Sprite quarantined for 3 weeks when I first got them, butthey were also visibly sick (turned out they couldn't tolerate theirold food). I've usually heard recommendations of quarantiningfor two weeks or so.

naturestee wrote:
I think that's probably a good idea. I kept Feyand Sprite quarantined for 3 weeks when I first got them, but they werealso visibly sick (turned out they couldn't tolerate their oldfood). I've usually heard recommendations of quarantining fortwo weeks or so.

Two weeks sounds more reasonable to me, thanks. I haven't noticedanything unusual about Smokey, except that she's being ratheraggressive toward Speedy. Of course, Speedy is a little bit of aninstigator I'm finding by going over to Smokey's cage and poking hernose in...hehe. I'm sure that Speedy is just trying to be a good andfriendly neighbor, but who knows for certain?

As for quarantine, do you think I should make it a total cageconfinement or is it okay to let her out to exercise so long as I keepSpeedy in her cage?

Smokey has such a strong personality and I love watching her play anddo her rabbit stuff. I also love holding her because her fur is sosoft. On the other hand, she is shedding like there's no tomorrow andthe rabbit brush I have doesn't really seem to do much more than smooththe guard hairs.

I don't care how things work out between the two girls, I am so glad tohave two bunnies in my home. They bring such joy to my life. :)

Blyre

My girls are still fighting when I try tointroduce them so I'm going to err on the side of caution and make surethat they have plenty of space from each other for a while. Their cagesare within sight of each other so hopefully in time they will be usedto each other's presence.

Man, talk about having to clean up rabbit fur! I'm picking up clumpslately that I'm not sure is either from shedding or from recentbattles. I've never seen Speedy get so aggressive before. She actuallygave me a nip earlier when I was using a squirt bottle to break up themost recent fight. Thankfully no one got any serious injuries from thescuffle.

I love both my bunnies and hope that one day they can be friends witheach other. Right now, Smokey is watching Speedy and thumping in hercage. I think I'm moving too fast with getting them together and needto read up on bonding before I go any further.

For now, they'll have to be apart until I'm sure they won't try to ripeach other's fur out. I have about two months before Speedy's spay andat least four months before Smokey's.

I really feel bad when the girls start fighting.

Blyre

Tonight all is peaceful and quiet here at CasaBlyre. The buns are in their beds and winding down after taking turnscoming out and racing around the carpet. I'm taking a slight break fromthe bonding process to let them get a chance to get used to having eachother around.

For the time being, I'm just counting the days until I can move Smokeyinto a larger cage where she can really move around without upsettingher food bowl and truly have a home she can call her own.

I managed to snap a few pics of them last night but I need to sort through them for the better ones before I post them.

Stay Tuned,

Blyre

Sounds like you have got your hands full there - ahhh, the joys of being a bunny parent ;).

They may get more used to each others scent if they are running aboutin the same areas, which might be useful when trying to bond them.Can't wait to see the pics.

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Sounds like you have got your hands full there - ahhh, thejoys of being a bunny parent ;).

They may get more used to each others scent if they are running aboutin the same areas, which might be useful when trying to bond them.Can't wait to see the pics.

Jan
They run in the same area so hopefully that will make a difference.Earlier tonight, Speedy was taunting Smokey in her cage when Smokeynipped her paw. Loud bunny yelps are not fun to hear.

I spoke with my Vet tonight and she recommended that I keep themseparated until they are over the phase when they try to rip at eachother.

I never expected to see such a reaction from two such cute and cuddlycreatures but I'm sure that in due time, they will get used to eachother and at least tolerate having the other around.

Never a dull moment around here....heh

Blyre

Here are some pictures of Speedy:

Speedy4.jpg

"Daddy, what are you doing?"

Speedy9.jpg

"Are you still there? Sheesh!"

And the newest edition to the household, my baby Smokey:

Smokey1.jpg

"Mmmmmmmm....hay....."

I took this one right after her first nail clipping.

SmokeyLayDown6.jpg

"I'm safe from that sharpy thing now...."

I managed to snap these two pics just now:

Speedy12.jpg

"Death to theflashy thing!"

SmokeyInBin.jpg

"Ha! No hay bin can defeat me!"

My girls are always full of surprises, especially when they aren't fighting....heh.

Blyre

SOOOSKA wrote:
Blyre, your Bunnies are lovely. I'm lookingforward to many more pictures of your babies.

Soooska:apollo:
Thanks, I really love my little darlings. I had to raise Smokey's haybin up higher because she kept jumping up into it and I was afraid thatthe metal edges might accidentally cut her.

Tonight, there was less of biting at each other through the cage barswhich makes me feel a bit relieved. I moved their cages to oppositeends of the play area so that they can see each other but don't get asstressed as I think they may have been getting. I'm in no rush to getthem bonded right now. I'd prefer they both get more settled in first.

Blyre

Latest posts

Back