Adventures in Coexisting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish you guys could've seen my face when I found out. It was probably priceless. XD

I love Dr. Stanzione. Seriously. I called the clinic about five times with questions about the surgery before yesterday, and I called them early this morning to double check on his medications. They're always happy to help, and do their best to answer all of your questions.

We have new name contestants!

Charlie

Blackberry (after the Watership down bunny!)

Alfie (in honor of his very first name, Fat Al, which was apparently more gender correct than what it was replaced with. >.<)

Coinin (bunny in Irish, also kinda sounds like Chloe)

Noah (because it's cute and I can call him Mr. Noi)

Scully

Yoshi

Pistachio (Chio)

Schroeder

Kashi

Harley

Milo

Toto

Kitty, I wasn't sure how set you were on a speed date with Jessy, but I went to Cindy's office today to grab something and she reminded me that Jessy and Roberta are being transported to another rescue (due to our obvious recently lack of space primarily). :( I think Jessy's probably already gone, but I'm going to the shelter today around 4 to help CR filling in for the normal Friday person. I'll see if Jessy's still there... maybe I'll text you or something. But in any case, lots of eligible girls still! I met Gracie today! Giant angora lop -- she is huge. She puts small-medium dogs to shame! Adorable!!! Squee!

Aweh, I'm so glad she's out of the shelter! She needed some kind of change, she was going stir crazy. I'm sure we'll find a perfect girlfriend for my lil' man. XD

Ohmygoodness did you say Giant Angora Lop?!!?!?

Thanks, Wabbitdad! I follow yours, to, but I tend to be a lurker. XD

How exciting! Does the group tend to try to place angoras with bunny people? Not that anyone interested in rabbits wouldn't be a bunny person....but you get my drift.

Because uh....I spin. I would get the biggest kick out of having an angora.

I just can't wait to bring him in in general. I still can't used to saying 'him'. XD what a strange week.

Kitty88 wrote:
Ohmygoodness did you say Giant Angora Lop?!!?!?

How exciting! Does the group tend to try to place angoras with bunny people? Not that anyone interested in rabbits wouldn't be a bunny person....but you get my drift.

Because uh....I spin. I would get the biggest kick out of having an angora.

I just can't wait to bring him in in general. I still can't used to saying 'him'. XD what a strange week.

YES! Giant. Angora. Lop! Triple cuteness threat! We don't really get that many angoras to begin with, but someone who is experienced with buns and is devoted to grooming often is a definite plus. For some reason we got Gracie, then Wally, and the bunbun who came in today Mr. Rabbit, are all giant angoras. I think Mr. Rabbit might be an angora anyway. Wally is not a lop though. Mr. Rabbit is. Gracie is a girl though. LOL. Your boy bun was so misunderstood!

I've actually been talking to him every morning and I've apologized quite a few times. If only I would've known. My poor lil man. XD

I think it's pretty funny that when I thought Chloe was a girl, I refused to say that I was going to get her a boyfriend, but now that I know he's a HIM, I keep saying that I can't wait to get him a girlfriend. XD

I can't wait to meet Ms. Gracie! She sounds uber cute. I have to make sure I'm ready to handle it. Is Mr. Wally getting fuzzier? Poor little guy. He looks so sad without fur.

Kitty88 wrote:
So the first bun I really got attacked by was Dierdra. And I thought I'd already seen angry buns.....Dierdra came into the pen with me and seemed ok. Kinda relaxed, mostly looking around. I noticed clumps of fur coming off of her and picked up the Furminator. In her defense, I should have noticed her tail fly up. I did not, and I deserved what I got. I moved in to comb her and she did let me get a couple of swipes in, and then she lunged for my wrist as it hovered over her head momentarily. I kinda shrieked a little, which did not put me in good books with Dierdra, and she came after me again, so I stood up to give her some space.
Oh Kitty... Deirdre's back at 86 St so you don't have to worry about her chasing you anymore LOL! If you read my Friday report, you'll know that Deirdre remembers me and she remembers me being a pushover. I let her get away with nipping me. Probably shouldn't, but I like her too much. :rollseyes What I actually don't like is how she is an absolute destruction master of the tallest order. Her cage is always torn to pieces... takes a long time to clean her up.

Kitty88 wrote:
I can't wait to meet Ms. Gracie! She sounds uber cute. I have to make sure I'm ready to handle it. Is Mr. Wally getting fuzzier? Poor little guy. He looks so sad without fur.
Gracie is at Cindy's office. Cindy's boss is awesome. Her boss is a bun lover and keeps her own 2 buns living in the office too. Cindy is allowed to foster about 3 buns at a max at the office. Everyone loves the bun buns there. Gracie is doing well at the office.

Wally is growing back a tiny bit of fuzz on him. It's sooo fun to touch his body because it feels like the softest velvet ever. He looks so silly with no fur on this body, just a poofy head. Poor kiddo.

Ohhh yeaaaah, Jane showed me a picture of her in Cindy's office last week! I knew there was something super familiar about Gracie. She's the big brown cutie, right?

OHMIGOODNESS, I haven't posted in 21 days?!?!?!?!?! Holy crap. Time does have a way of escaping you, doesn't it?

So Kashi was our final name choice. I decided he needed a full name too, so Prince Kashi now has a full title. :D

I'm a HUUUUGE Led Zeppelin fan, you know that 'if you had to pick one band to listen to for the rest of your life' question? Well, I never have to think about that one before answering. So Kashi's new name is Kashmir (off of Physical Graffiti) Underfoot (after Trampled Underfoot, also off of Physical Graffiti). Underfoot was also very loosely based on Frodo's travel name Mr. Underhill from LotR. How much more perfect could you get than a name that's based on both Led Zeppelin AND LotR?? XD

Also, Kashi has completely healed from his surgery! We still have quite a few bald spots going on his little thighs, but his fur that's growing in is GORGEOUS. He's been molting since April at this point. I might actually lose my mind if the fur doesn't stop for a bit soon. >.< So we've started a new get-the-fur-off regime of intensive grooming every other day (so he doesn't try to kill me in his sleep), a pinch of sunflower seeds once a day, and a full bowl of pellets. The bowl of pellets only works out to be about a quarter of a cup more than usual, and Kashi's pretty svelte, so I'm sure this won't cause him to bulk up much at all. Plus he gets his daily salad of his new favorite, kale and escarole.

And now that I've updated....I think a good pic post is in order. In fact, it's time for Kashi's photo debut as a real honest to goodness boy!

DSC03642.jpg

So handsome. :)
DSC03644.jpg

DSC04065.jpg

Kashi chillaxin. He actually has his chin resting on the side of his bed here.

This is NOT KASHI. XD me and Matt went to the Museum of Natural History a couple of weeks ago. We were walking through the Mammalian Hall, and what did we find...
DSC03959.jpg

but a rabbit exhibit!!!

the really scary part? I saw the skeleton before the sign and RECOGNIZED IT AS A RABBIT.
DSC03952.jpg

Also, recognized the fact that this particular bunny, if alive, would probably have needed vet work done on his incisors.
DSC03951.jpg

I then went off on a spiel explaining to Matt exactly how bunnies use their back legs, running on their toes and resting on their heals so that no one part of their feet would be overused.
DSC03953.jpg

And then I turned around, and realized that the reason Matt had been watching me with a slight smirk on his face was because, unbeknownst to me, a group of ten or twelve school kids at the museum on a school trip had gathered behind me and listened to my whole lecture attentively. One of them then raised their hand and asked me a question. LMAO.

In terms of bonding, Kashi should be hormone free in a week. Really, I'm pretty sure he's hormone free right now. I think the fact that his testicles never descended actually limited how many hormones he had flowing through him anyway, but we're waiting the full month and change anyway, to be safe.

I want to bring Kashi in for a bonding session more than anything right now, but I just don't know. I think I'm getting cold feet. I don't know if I have enough space to build a little addition onto Kashi's cage to house another bun during bonding. His cage is 3 panels across, 3 panels high, and 2 deep. I'm thinking I could build some more on so that it's 4 across, so the cage could be separated into two 3 by 3 by 2 spaces. I would be worried in the beginning of bonding that there wouldn't be enough of a separation between them. If somebun poked a nose through and somebun else didn't appreciate the visit, they might get chomped. I wouldn't want anything to happen to either Kashi or the new bunny, especially after seeing poor Raoul's injuries.

So I was thinking, if I built the addition, I could just build TWO walls in the middle of the cage, a few inches apart, so that they could both sniff noses, but no one would get so far through as to be able to bite. Of course, I might get lucky and have Kashi pick out a nice calm bun that will bond to him in a matter of days and remain a perfect gentleman or lady....but I'm not that naive. XD

The buns I'd REALLY like to have Kashi meet in a session right now are as follows: Definitely Ms. Gracie, beautiful GIANT ANGORA LOP girl that she is. :D I'm fairly certain she has her fluff back now, this picture was taken at the shelter post-shave.
Gracie2.jpg

Lalo, a handsome little helicopter lop boy. He is a rambunctious, happy little boy who loves playing, and is always SUPER interested in the other bunnies when they're in the pen. As you might imagine, the lenient bunny-volunteer who found Lalo shredding the paper towel roll through the bars of the pen and let him carry on as Jane snapped a picture was, of course...me. XD Jane thought it was great that Lalo was so interested in playing, and even promised not to tell the other volunteers who the pushover was that let him play with the paper towels. LOL
A868687Lalow-papertowelslores.jpg

Tucker! Tucker is my buddy. He runs around his cage with strands of hay or paper in his mouth like a little puppy, insists on getting nose rubs. Hopped into my lap several times to say hi. He has a great little personality. Although I must admit, I seem to have a soft spot for the destructo-buns. I do worry that he'd be a little on the small side to be bonded with Kashi, since Kashi's a pretty big boy.
A869777Tuckerlores.jpg

Ferdinand. I think he's in foster care right now and I'm not even sure he's available for adoption right now, but good lord, is he a handsome boy! Plus, he's a good size-match for Kash.0
A863545Ferdinand2lores.jpg

Skipper, a NZW boy, has been at the shelter since I started volunteering. I would LOVE to get him out of there and loved up. He actually reminds me of Toby sometimes, with his facial expressions and his perfect little white feet. XD He has AMAZING litterbox skills. He gets a little cage aggressive, but that's in a shelter cage with a hidey box. I'm pretty sure if he had a nice big cage and a couple of hours to run around every day, the boxing would stop. Anyway, if he lived with me he wouldn't ever get picked up out of his cage. Kashi has me trained to just open his door and let him come out on his own terms and I see no problem with that.
ALSO, when Skipper first came to the shelter, his name was Pia and we all thought he was a little girl. So him and Kashi could commiserate.
A855340Pia1lores.jpg

I actually had a dream a couple of weeks ago that I brought Skipper home and introduced him to Kashi, and they circled eachother sniffing intently for a few seconds...then they both stood up on their hind legs, jogging around eachother until they were standing side by side, and started doing a Salt n Peppa dance routine.

I was wondering how you were getting on. I love the new name :).

I think Kashi is even more like Shadow - he is also having a horrendous molt, which seems never ending. And he absolutely loves his kale (but there isn't really much Shadow doesn't love, when it comes to food ;)).

Had to smile about your 'Bunny Lecture' - I bet the kids found it very interesting:)

Jan

Hah! You're in luck! I happen to know that Ferdinand is currently unavailable for adoption. He is a medical foster. But what medical condition, I am not sure.

Lovely choices! I think it's so funny that you think Kashi and Skipper can swap stories and see who can one-up who. I imagine Skipper has an interesting story to tell. There was this rather, um, "interesting" lady and her daughter who adopted one of our most coveted bunbuns. Then about a couple weeks after that, they adopted "Pia" as a very young bun. She brought Pia back for her spay, where it was discovered that "she" got neutered. Without a doubt the bonding didn't go well with the two buns and she returned Pia, and we renamed him Skipper.

Gracie is wonderful. I hope you get a shot at her.

BTW, when I look at Kashi's pics now, somehow it looks more right to me that he is a boy after all. Maybe because he looks so much like my Kirby :) Kirby is also a very handsome bun post-molt. He's sooo soft that I just want to take a bite of his fur when I kiss him.

You know what, Ferd was fostered because he had an abscess. But, this evening at the "meeting" Cindy said that Megan was adopting him straight out of foster. So go figure how this stuff works!!! If you are particularly interested in speed dating with a bun, I'd say you better let Cindy know in advance.

Lol, Lalo got adopted last night too! You know what, maybe I should start making designs on all the buns. It seems to get them into homes faster. LOL.

Although I am a little confused, a group email went out this morning saying Ferdy was at a speed date yesterday. Maybe the potential adopter wasn't aware he's being adopted, like me.

Latest posts

Back