Adventures in Coexisting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be with Jane the whole time, I'm going to be her helper, I guess. When I was emailing her yesterday she sent me her number and told me to call when I'm outside and she'd come and get me.

I'm a little nervous at how I'm going to handle going into the building, to be honest. I've never mentioned it on here, but I have an anxiety disorder and I get SUPER nervous walking into places for the first time. I think the idea of a roomful of bunnies will keep me going. XD

I've been going on petfinder and looking at the ACC rabbits guessing which ones will be there. This is all really making me want to get Chloe's spay done so I can see if she'd like a sister or brother. I'm always on petfinder, it's like a nervous tic, I have to check it every so often. There's a bunny named Samuel who looks just like my little girl, he's sooo handsome. But he's been up for adoption for about six months now. :( I want Chloe to meet bunnies that are having a hard time finding a home when I bring her in. They deserve some happiness, too.

And I KNOW Samuel's still there because he's all black and 'plain' looking...he looks so distinguished in his pictures. Poor bunny. :(

Oh good, I'm glad Jane will take care of you because it is kind of hectic in there at first. Just ignore the rest of the place and run to the bunnies! :) Fast fast fast! That's what I do. If I can make it up there in 1 breath, even better. The smell of the place is sometimes QUITE potent.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15336782 <-- this Samuel? I am pretty sure that the other rescues and orgs that get data from us are not updating the statuses correctly and they post bunnies that are no longer available. Samuel was adopted and returned and quickly adopted again. He was a real sweetie. He was a satin mix too. In Petfinder, Zani's furry friends, stray from the heart and the names in all caps under AC&C are all actually our shelter bunnies. Zanis and Stray from the heart probably help us post in various places including Petfinder and it causes a number of duplication as well as outdated posts -- whoopsie :) Francine is another bun who's long been adopted!

The listings are unfortunately rarely accurate due to "automatic posting" done by the shelter computer system. The bunnies in all caps are all automatic postings and should more or less reflect only adoptable buns (unlike Stray from the Heart and Zani's). But sometimes we have buns who are rehabbing and aren't on petfinder, but they are in the shelter or in foster. You can also find the shelter buns here: http://nycacc.org/adoptions/adoption_search.html

Select all Shelters, rabbits only. And you'll get a big old list. Lucky Lady & Lindsey are at Union Sq Petco. Clark is the only bun at Lex and 86 St Petco right now. If you PM me your email address I'll add you to the group's volunteer distribution list (it's run by Yahoo Groups). Every volunteer sends their update for the day they are assigned so everyone's on the same page.

Oh my goodness! I volunteered in the Rabbit Room for the first time yesterday. So many things happened!

So first off, I managed to pick the HOTTEST DAY OF THE YEAR to take the subway all the way into the city. To be clear, at one point it was 101 degrees out. :grumpy:

I get to the shelter and call Jane to come and get me, and we walk in through Intake, and there's a bunny in one of those glorified guinea pig cages that had just been surrendered. I felt just awful for him, I could see he was shaking with fear from four feet away (and I'm blind as a bat). My first job? Sorting through the only pellets they had, removing all of the corn and kibble crap. I don't understand why they make food for rabbits with 30% food they can't digest. I mean, how much crueler can you be?

So I'm sitting there sorting through pellets, and Mary Cotter strolls in and asks if she can borrow me to bring a Leith condo up to the Rabbit Room! (This is where I realize I'm basically the equivalent of a rabbit fangirl, instantly recognizing her name) So Mary immediately puts me to shame, as she easily takes the heaviest piece and effortlessly gets it past the desk and up the stairs and I follow awkwardly with the lighter piece and still manage to almost die tripping over a cat trap. :rollseyes:

Jane asked Mary to check on a couple of the newer rabbits. One lop was classified as a chryptorchid male (meaning his bunny ballies were on the inside). Mary flipped him over with no protests from the bunny and started clipping at matts he had on his feet. It was crazy! The bunny was so calm while she was basically shearing him, and at one point he started to lick her hand! She also looked at a chubby female lop that had been housed with the male and found a big huge scab over her tail that no one else had spotted. It was great to watch her. I was still sorting the pellets across the room, and she called me over to show me. She carefully removed most of the scab, explained that what I thought was an infection was actually a sign that it was healing nicely, and cleaned and applied Healex to it. Again, the bunny didn't seem to mind, only seemed grateful! I also got to hear alot about how heat during surgery and recovery helps buns bounce back significantly quicker, so I'll be asking Dr. Stanzione if his surgery table is heated. Apparently most are.

Mary had to leave after an hour or so, and then it was just me, Jane, and the bunnies! And they were SO great. In honor of their being the first bunnies I worked with, I'm going to mention each. Because who doesn't want to hear about bunnies? :clapping:

Reba.jpg

Reba! Reba was the first bun I recognized from my Petfinder research. XD I walked up to her cage and offered a finger for a sniff, and she licked my whole hand! Such a sweetie. Reba is TEN AND A HALF POUNDS. Easily the biggest bun I've ever met. XD

Rabby.jpg

This little guy is Rabby. He was the bun that was surrendered while I was there. You can't tell from this picture, but he has the most gorgeous markings! He was pretty chill for all he'd been through, too. He was in a room with dozens of people coming and going, then went to medical to be poked and prodded, carried up to the RR past a ton of dogs who were all barking, and what did he do when we let him out? A big ol' bunny flop.

Raoul.jpg

This bunner is Raoul. Raoul came to the shelter with a big bite on his lip, most likely from another bun. He seemed skittish at first in the pen, but he enjoyed sprinting figure eights through my legs and when I started to pet him, he loafed. I get the feeling he'd really enjoy a nice quiet home.

Jessica.jpg

This little sweetie is Jessica. She's very young, only six months old. She was very curious about me walking up to her cage, and when I let her sniff me, she chinned my hand. XD She had such beautiful big eyes!

This is Frankie, the "chryptorchid". It's in quotations because Mary felt there was a good chance he'd simply been neutered. There were NO ballies in evidence, which would be very rare for an actual chryptorchid. (I know I'm spelling that SO wrong, someone feel free to correct me)

Tosia.jpg

Tosia and
Zuzia.jpg

Zuzia were originally housed with Frankie. They were both adorable, of course. I'm 90% that Tosia was the chunky one with the big scab over her tail. When I first went to say hi to these girls, they were both face first in their box, practicing their synchronized digging. XD

Now I've saved my favorite for last....even though normally I hate to play favorites, I just couldn't help it. No one in the Rabbit Room could.

JESSY.jpg

This is Jessy. Jessy was found wandering the streets in the Bronx, that gray marking on her back is actually a big grease stain. She most likely got it from hiding under cars. Jessy, without a doubt, has the biggest personality of any bun I've ever met. She shredded the paper lining her cage and was doing bunny 500's with a piece hanging out of her mouth. We took her out and put her in the pen, and she wasted not one second in doing laps around the whole thing. I got in with her and she immediately began circling me. I sat down, and she did like five binkies in a row, ran around me a couple of times, then hopped right onto my lap! As if that wasn't friendly enough, she then put her paws up on my chest and gave my nose a little lick! She was the spunkiest little girl ever! List of adjectives used by Mary, Jane, and myself to describe her: Insistent, vivacious, demanding, spunky.....she was just such a character!

I loved all the buns, but Jessy....I wanted to bring Jessy home. XD Jessy would be a fitting princess, indeed. And she would LOVE a cotton tail cottage! She was having so much fin bouncing around her cage and hopping on and off of her box, I know she'd be going crazy from one level to the next.

So basically, I'm a regular volunteer from this point on. XD And it's probably too early to tell, but I think I'm making the right choice in going back to school to be a Vet Tech. Sure, seeing animals that have had horrible things happen to them is incredibly depressing, and you CAN'T save them all, but being able to help SOME, and knowing you do everything you can for them....I think I would be ok if I could do that much for them.

:)

Soooo awesome! It sure sounded hetic, but so much fun! This really pumps me up to volunteer myself (monday!)

Those bunnies are all so adorable..which amazing stories! Zuzisa is sooo cute!

Good for you at doing such an amazing job!

It really was rewarding! I thought I'd be sadder about them all living at the shelter, but they were all in pretty good spirits!

Animal Care and Control was SO hectic. Every two seconds you had to press yourself against the wall to let someone walk a dog past, or carry a cage with cats to a different room. If I was volunteering in the main shelter, I'd probably have PSTD right now. There were SO MANY cats and dogs. :'(

I forgot to mention who Mary Cotter is. XD Mary Cotter is, I believe, the branch president of the NYC HRS. That may not be her title....regardless, as Helen said, she's the Bunny Whisperer! Everybun she touched seemed to calm down and let her do what needed to be done. XD

Btw, doesn't Zuzia look regal in her picture? XD She was like a little queen, so dainty.

Mary is the founder of Rabbit Rescue and Rehab, the NYC chapter of HRS. She is a HRS educator, rabbit enthusiast, animal lover, fountain of knowledge :)

I'm so glad you got so much good exposure on day one! It will be great to hear from you in the emails an stuff for our group :)

Great pic and description of all the rabbits! I would feel sad seeing them at the shelter. I think by the end of the day, they'd probably all go home......with me!

I first heard of Mary Cotter from Kirby's Helen and it was funny when I was talking to the lady from the local shelter about Dr. Stanzione, she commented that Mary Cotter also highly recommend him! Guess Mary is a legend in the rabbit world!

Oof! I've been busy for so long sitting down for longer than a minute or two feels foreign. >.<

So Chloe's Cottage arrived about two weeks ago now. It's been an unprecedented success. I showed a picture of her playing on the roof to a non-bunny friend of mine a couple of days ago, and she asked if I was angry that she'd destroyed it so much already. XD I was quick to inform her that what she was looking at wasn't destruction so much as a major remodeling job, and she looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I sounded so proud. LOL.

In other, BIG news, as most people who have read this blog know, I've been kinda delaying scheduling Chloe's spay. Well, it's been delayed no longer. I'm bringing my baby in to Dr. Stanzione in four short days to have her spay done. I called the receptionist about four times in three days to ask questions about the procedure and the medication they'd have her on afterwards, and I'm fairly sure that the staff at the office now know me as the panicky rabbit-lady. Wait till I drop her off on Wednesday and burst into tears at the thought of leaving her, as Matt drags me out of the building. O_O

It's funny, but even though I've only been to the shelter three times now, four tomorrow, I feel like I'm officially a volunteer. I can make my way around the building without getting lost, and last week I interacted with potential adopters for the first time. I feel like you have to moderate yourself when talking to people considering becoming rabbit parents. I kept thinking of more things they "needed to know" and noticed Jane giving me a 'calm down' glance at one point and slowed down.

The family that came in to see Roberta told us they'd spoken to a really nice lady at a Petco location, and me and Jane realized they were referring to you, Helen. :)

Chloe's spay is, of course, the beginning to my ulterior motives of getting her a partner bun. I have a couple of buns I'd love to have her meet, if they're still around by the time she's ready to meet them.

I've been hearing alot about Lindsey bunny, who resides at one of the Petco locations. She's super friendly and has attempted to bond with at least two other bunnies who are at the same location.

There are also two mini-Satins at the shelter right now, one of whom, Sgt. Pepper (love the name) is like Chloe's mini me! He even has the silver fur sprinkled throughout his coat. He's a real sweetie, too. I don't think he'll last long at the shelter. Last week when we had him out in the pen, he got spooked by all the dog noises and hopped right up onto my lap, and a few minutes later did the same to Jane. There's just something about a bunny begging you for reassurance that's irresistible.

Of course, there is one specific bunny that I have fallen in love with and want to bring home. Ms. Jessy has the biggest personality of any bun I've ever met. She shreds the paper lining her cage and does bunny-500s with pieces of paper hanging out of her mouth, she hops up onto your lap to check you out, she's always very keen on exploring... Every time I see her, she does something else to yank on my heartstrings, you know? I play with her, and I start daydreaming of having her in my home and letting her do laps around the big bunny-proofed basement, or getting her a maze and watching her sprint around it and over it and through it. XD

I've unforgivably forgotten to post Chloe's Gotcha day. It passed on July 17, and I still can't believe I've had her for a whole year! It feels like I've had her for a couple of months, or five years. XD I really can't imagine life without a bunny running around in it somewhere.
Needless to say, I have a ton of pictures to post. :D
DSC03670.jpg

Birthday girl!!! :D
DSC03671.jpg

Birthday girl not so happy....

Oh goodness - those pictures are priceless. Chloe looks adorable (even if she doesn't think so ;)). Happy belated Gotcha day to her!

Sounds like the volunteering is going well. Are you sure you are going to be able to take only one more bunny home????

I will be thinking of you and Chloe when she goes in for her spay. I know it's pretty scary, but I'm sure she'll be just fine, and giving you the Bunny Butt in no time :D

Jan

Happy Gotcha and Birthday for Chloe! What a big beautiful girl :) :)

So you know what the shelter folks are gonna say right? 2 girls in a bond will rarely work, and rarely show great potential during a speed date. But not to say it won't work. The thing is, it sounds like Chloe is a typical girl bun, with lots of personality and lots to say. Jessy might be a bit much for her. They may not get along as a result. Sgt. Pepper (I love that name too) did remind me of Kirby, who's also a mini satin. Sooo cute!! I wonder if it might be a good match?

I've been with Lindsey before when she was at Petco @ 86St. She is very very sweet. She was not happy about Petco for about 2 weeks but eventually settled in and by now has gotten really the hang of people and store noise. She's currently unfortunately at Union Sq Petco, where they're renovating and other rubbish. I went to visit her last week and she was so sad looking. It's very lonely since no customers are venturing downstairs during renovation and they stuck the bun cage in the corner :( I really liked her. She's just like my Toby in appearance! She's young and kind, but she is shy. Another dwarfy looking English Spot like her, Nancy, is currently at Petco 86 St. Nancy seems to be a real sweetheart. She always yearns for attention when she had a boy bun sitting in the next cage :)

I'm glad you like volunteering! I astonished and relieved that we had so many big adoption weekends that we went from 17 to about 7 buns in a matter of 2 weeks. It should be much more manageable for you and Jane in an afternoon :biggrin:

Well, Helen, we had a great weekend, but we're back up to twelve buns. One of whom was adopted out previously and returned because her owner became pregnant and 'could no longer take care of her'. We also had a perfect little black and white Dutch boy dropped off in a pampers box. :/ The Dutch boy was so handsome! He has one blue eye, one brown. So I got to see a Dutch in person, and then a few minutes later we had a last minute transfer from Brooklyn and I got to meet my first Rex.

Between yesterday and today, I've had my fill of angry bunnies. I can only hope to recover in time to deal with Chloe when I pick her up from the office. :ph34r2

Chloe's hormones decided to make their grand appearance a few days before her spay, of course. She's been ignoring her litterbox, nipping, rearranging things with a vengeance (not just in her cage). It doesn't matter how many times I tell her I'd prefer my chair to stay where it was, she persists in attempting to move it.

On top of Chloe being crazy, I saw quite a few behaviors at the shelter that I've never seen before. Skipper, a NZ male, is usually slightly cage aggressive. He's boxed me before. Decided he was going to be a perfect gentleman yesterday. XD
Jessy, on the other hand, has come to the conclusion that she's done with shelter life. I don't blame her. :/ She wasn't exactly thrilled that I was trying to groom her, and attempted to attack the comb a couple of times. Poor girl just wants to relax without thirty dogs barking in the background.
So the first bun I really got attacked by was Dierdra. And I thought I'd already seen angry buns.....Dierdra came into the pen with me and seemed ok. Kinda relaxed, mostly looking around. I noticed clumps of fur coming off of her and picked up the Furminator. In her defense, I should have noticed her tail fly up. I did not, and I deserved what I got. I moved in to comb her and she did let me get a couple of swipes in, and then she lunged for my wrist as it hovered over her head momentarily. I kinda shrieked a little, which did not put me in good books with Dierdra, and she came after me again, so I stood up to give her some space.
This is where I realize I am unforgivably stupid, and must change my ways before entering Vet Tech.
I was wearing knee length shorts and flats. And Dierdra, clever little girl that she was, knew that meant I was vulnerable.
So for the next two minutes, imagine me jigging around an exercise pen, trying to keep my ankles and feet from being chomped while avoiding stepping on poor Dierdra.

I really don't know how Jane managed to not laugh at me.

So after I got back to the Bronx, I had about a million things to do. I got home around two, and collapsed into bed. I woke up this morning and managed to forget that I hadn't showered between the shelter and then, and let Chloe out.

About two minutes later, I was hanging off the third step on the ladder to my bunk beds, with Chloe sitting directly underneath me, glaring at me from the corner of her eye. Her and Dierdra attended the same self-defense-against-stupid-humans class, apparently.

Oh, those crazy, crazy buns. :rollseyes

Dierdra is a feisty one. I wouldn't feel too bad about being chased by her. She hones in on things that happen that annoy her and she goes for it. She is not too much a cuddly bun. She seems to be a more difficult one, but not impossible. You just have to work with her, on her terms and go really slow. I have been on the receiving end of a hard as heck nip from her before.

It is so sad to hear that Jessy is getting impatient and sad about living at the shelter :( Poor girl.

Yeah, Dierdra struck me as a strong personality. I take no attack personally. XD I should have taken the time to watch her for a couple of minutes before pushing the grooming on her.
I feel really bad for Jessy, too. She's been in the shelter for a month and a half now. :( she's even becoming slightly cage aggressive. I think Jessy would be happiest living in a pen. She hates being picked up, loves running around, and she's so playful. I really hope she gets a great bunny home soon, but all the potential first-time adopters get intimidated when they see her. She needs a real bunny person.
Oh, also, I realized I'm woefully in the dark about bonding so Jane gave me a crash course yesterday. I'm not sure why I kept insisting Chloe pick out a girl. I actually have a feeling that if I were to bring her in for a speed date, she'd pick Skipper. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

So today was the day of Chloe's spay. I dropped her off this morning with a container of her hay and pellets for when she woke up and went home to nervously await the phone call from the receptionist telling me she was ok.

Exactly two minutes ago, Dr. Stanzione called me himself to announce that during the surgery, he'd made an interesting discovery.

Chloe is, in fact, a cryptorchid male.

.......Chloe is a male.

Oh dear. Wasn't expecting this one!!!

Although now that I think about it, I suppose Jessy will be a good bond candidate! XD

It also makes those birthday pictures a tad embarassing in retrospect.....

Kitty88 wrote:
Chloe is, in fact, a cryptorchid male.

.......Chloe is a male.

Oh dear. Wasn't expecting this one!!!

Although now that I think about it, I suppose Jessy will be a good bond candidate! XD

It also makes those birthday pictures a tad embarassing in retrospect.....

LOL Oh my goodness, poor Chloe!!! Wow. Well, now you know why you always wanted to get Chloe a girl!

I'm sorry Kitty, but I don't know which of your posts made me laugh more - you being chased around with Dierdra trying to take a chunk out of you, or poor 'Chloe' having to live with the humiliation of his birthday photos :biggrin:

On the plus side :biggrin:- it does seem like a great opportunity to go for Jessy :)

Glad the 'spay' is over and done with !

Jan

In retrospect, Chloe attacking me for smelling like the other buns now makes perfect sense! Also, there was his habit of moving the litterbox over and peeing on the floor where it SHOULD have been....

My poor, poor perfect little prince. XD

Helen: Apparently, I'm psychic! Obviously, I kept thinking of potential girl-mates because I sensed Chloe's masculinity deep down. LOL

Jan: It would appear there is a reason Shadow and Chloe looked so alike, right down to their noses....*facepalm*
I guess Chloe and George have a lot in common. XD Also, Deirdre's attack was completely hilarious. Scary as heck, but when I got out of the pen I had a good laugh with Jane over how well she got her point across. XD

On the awesome side, Jessy and Deirdre can meet my boy in a month! Actually, I really hope Jessy gets a home before that. Poor girl needs to get the heck out of the shelter already.

Chloe Neuter Update:
My poor boy wasn't very hungry when we got home yesterday. I gave him a full bowl of pellets, his litter box was cleaned and filled with fresh hay before he got home (with a couple of old poops so it smelled familiar), and I had a big salad waiting. He only ate a couple of basil leaves and most of a romaine leaf all afternoon and night. He also took a piece of a banana chip from me, mouthed it, and then let it fall, which scared the bejeesus out of me. Chloe isn't the type of bunny to ever let a banana chip slip by.

So this morning, I did what any bunny mom with access to forty bunny-knowledgeable people would do: I sent out a group email describing my poor cryptorchid boy's day yesterday and asked for advice.

Since this morning, he's been doing significantly better. I got him to eat a handful of baby arugala leaves and a couple more pieces of basil, and he had his first post-surgery poop! I actually cheered out loud when I looked in the litterbox and found it. They're irregularly shaped and appear mushy, but he's only eaten greens since the surgery so that's to be expected. He also started eating hay again while taking his poo, so I'm happy about that.

Onto the topic of medication, though. This is interesting. I was given .4 cc's of Buprinex for him, to be given .1 cc per twelve hours. Buprinex is a pretty potent pain reliever. Usually given in injections. Well, my .4 cc's are in gel form, and I apply it to his inner ear with a finger condom, basically.

To be honest, I'm really glad I don't have to inject him. I just feel so bad for him right now poking him with a needle would feel like overkill. Plus it seems like it would be safer to send home pet owners with a gel as opposed to having an inexperienced owner giving their pets injections.

LOL! Chloe is a girl???? Wow, what a surprise that was. Now~ what about the name?

I took Baci to Dr. S last week and we discussed about having him neutered. We were apprehensive b/c of any complications. Hubby more or less grilled Dr. S about his experience and problems arising during/after surgery. He said he has done thousands, not hundreds and he is very confident that Baci will be just fine. So now we just have to schedule a date.

When Shades had her incisor removed, she was also given Buprinex viathe gel form also. Make sure you get rub it in deep enough that he can't lick any of it. It will knock him out most of the day.

Latest posts

Back