Adventures in Coexisting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe there are two speed dates happening, or was Megan interested in Raoul too?
I have to admit, usually the potential partners I have in mind for Kash are buns I've already met, but Ferdinand was one of the most handsome buns I've ever seen and I've always wanted a lilac bun and Ferdinand is just so darn close! Lol. I really don't care WHO Kashi picks, as long as he's happy and I get another bun to spoil rotten. XD I worry about finding a rabbit that's a good size match for him, though. Kashi's 7 1/2 pounds, and the closest we have to a bun that big is Caroline, who's actually a whole pound heavier than my boy. I don't want anybunny getting hurt during bonding.

Kitty88 wrote:
Maybe there are two speed dates happening, or was Megan interested in Raoul too?
I have to admit, usually the potential partners I have in mind for Kash are buns I've already met, but Ferdinand was one of the most handsome buns I've ever seen and I've always wanted a lilac bun and Ferdinand is just so darn close! Lol. I really don't care WHO Kashi picks, as long as he's happy and I get another bun to spoil rotten. XD I worry about finding a rabbit that's a good size match for him, though. Kashi's 7 1/2 pounds, and the closest we have to a bun that big is Caroline, who's actually a whole pound heavier than my boy. I don't want anybunny getting hurt during bonding.
I think that size doesn't matter in a bond. We've seen plenty of big NZWs bond with itty bitty Nethie dwarfs. It's important to see how it goes during the speed date. And speed date is somewhat misleading, it's not actually a speedy date as it is a day of meeting potential bond mates. If a date goes well, it can go on for quite a long time to further evaluate the bond potential. Some dates are very short because within seconds it's immediately clear that they don't like each other. So you have some comfort knowing that the bun you take home has a good potential and low risk of breaking out in a violent mess. Don't underestimate the lil buns. They can hold their own. My Toby'll rip ya a new one and he's not shy to let you know he can do it!

I think Megan wanted to see how well the speed date went with Mr. Rabbit and Ferd. And if neither worked out she would try with Raoul, but she wanted to meet Raoul before she brought her bun in for a date. Raoul is totally a love bun... I swear, anyone would be BLESSED to have such a well-mannered, neat, and cute bun.

kirbyultra wrote:
Kitty88 wrote:I think that size doesn't matter in a bond. We've seen plenty of big NZWs bond with itty bitty Nethie dwarfs.
I agree. When Pet_Bunny bunnysat my babes, Shadow got along great with his nethie, Pebbles (R.I.P. little girl :(). Their size didn't seem to matter at all.

10fq96r.jpg

Jan

Aweh, pebbles was like the size of Shadow's head!

I'm thinking I should probably see if I could attend a couple of speed-date sessions. I think Kashi's ready to meet somebunny, though. He's always stealing the shirts I wear to the shelter and taking them back to his cage to sniff intently. Sometimes he decides to take a nap on them, too. XD

Sure.

BTW, is it me or did all your prospective partner buns all get adopted at the same time? LOL! Maybe you should pick some more prospects so more can get adopted! ;)

kirbyultra wrote:
Sure.

BTW, is it me or did all your prospective partner buns all get adopted at the same time? LOL! Maybe you should pick some more prospects so more can get adopted! ;)

LOL, they really did! It was a clean sweep. I think I should start doing a weekly post. Our turnover rate might just improve. XD I actually started laughing when I read the email announcing that Ferdinand, Gracie, AND Lalo all got adopted on the same flippin day. And all the buns that got adopted this week, pretty much, are the buns I've been interested in.

Plus, Claire got moved to Petco! She's a chronic pancake-er. One stroke of the head and she's completely submissive. XD You know, I MIGHT possibly have a weakness for super gorgeous buns like herself....
A870744Clairelores.jpg

LOL.

I never met Claire but I totally have a soft spot for beautiful black bun buns! It would be great if Claire and Kashi bonded. You'd be the only one who could tell them apart :D

You should totally make weekly picks! It cannot be a coincidence that all your picks got adopted ;)

Lol, I really think I would be! There's one noticeable difference, aside from Claire's cute little girly nose and slightly rounded ears: Claire totally has a redhead gene going on. Kashi has pure white guard hairs all over him and so does she, but she also has coppery furs on her thighs and around her butt. Not the most ladylike way to check to see who's who! XD But what a gorgeous pair of beautiful black Satin bunnies they'd make! I'd HAVE to have portraits taken, right?

I still can't believe almost every one of them got adopted! I am very tempted to be superstitious and say that since I've mentioned my boy Skip, almost every other bunny I've mentioned found a new home, and since he's still at the shelter almost two months later, that this means Skipper is the most likely to become Kashi's buddy. I really think this would be one of the most adorable things ever. Skipper is a pure NZW, sooo handsome. And he's still kind of a baby! He's only seven or so months old. And he has the most stunningly perfect litterbox skills! The boy is a machine. I think I found ONE stray poop in his cage last week. He could give Kashi lessons.

Skip actually reminds me of Toby sometimes. He's a master of the DBF, I've actually poked him a couple of times to be sure he was breathing. XD And the reason he reminds me of Toby? Besides being a bit of a little old man, Skipper has the CUTEST FEET EVER. They are absolutely SNOWY white. How can a bun keep their feet that clean?!?! Toby, I can understand. He has a fabulous Leith condo and a pretty living room to run around in and groom himself. Skipper, in a little metal cage surrounded by strange buns and dogs barking and the occasional cat with AIDS sharing a room with him, Skipper's snowy little paws just boggle my mind. XD

Skipper is very young though, and I imagine that he may have recently shed a coat of baby fur. He was adolescent when he was first adopted from us and lived there for a month before coming back -- still, immaculate white feet is quite an impressive thing to pull off for a shelter bun :) :) Besides being housed in a very clean condo and an even cleaner home, Toby is independently a clean freak! He grooms himself every chance he gets, and I suspect it is one of the reasons why he gets tummy upsets more often than the other buns in my home. Anyhow, clean white feet makes me squeal no matter what!

I checked out Claire today after I had dinner nearby Union Sq. I did see her brownish tinge, I know what you're talking about. I am not convinced she is a satin though. She might be a regular black color bun lol. Satins have a very particularly shimmery, shiny, smooth fur. Her coat seems a bit duller. But then again, it could be her diet that has given her a less than wonderful quality of fur. She's bigger than I thought! But has a very girly face.

Jeez, it's been a month since I've posted anything?! :whistling

Anyway, the last two days have kind of been a blur. I've heard so many people go through stasis, and you just don't know how stressful it can be until it's your baby on the vet table. :/ I want to remember the details of this ordeal later on, maybe in the future it can prevent another episode.

So, for the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about how good it would be to have a bunny-first aid kit, since they get sick so darn quick. I lackadaisically decided what I really NEEDED in a kit. Halfheartedly made shopping lists.

I went to the shelter this week to volunteer, and it dawned on me that I'd never taken a bun's temperature, so I asked Jane, who is a vet tech, to give me a basic run through.

On Tuesday night (I kid you not, this actually all happened like this) I was reading some bunny literature, and it suddenly dawned on me that Kashi's daily salads, which were based on Kale and Collard greens, were NOT GOOD. I would never feed Kashi spinach or brocolli for fear of causing gas, but I didn't connect Kale and Collards as having the same effect. I still haven't forgiven myself for not realizing this.

I woke up on Wednesday much later than usual. Which was very odd, because normally Kashi makes sure I'm up bright and early to give him his pellets. I went over to his cage to give him a 1/4 cup anyway, and he didn't move, even though I poured the pellets into his bowl about four inches away from his face. I knew this was WEIRD, so I broke off a tiny piece of a banana chip and offered it to him. He didn't even mouth it, just turned his head to the side. My instant reaction to my bunny behaving a little oddly? Burst into nervous tears and called Dr. Stanzione immediately.

I told the receptionist exactly what was wrong with him, that he was lying in a 'sphynx' with his belly on the floor, avoiding food, and rearranging himself like he was uncomfortable. She told me to bring him in as soon as I could. At times like these, nothing is better than having a wonderful rabbit vet. It was such a relief to talk to people that instantly knew how serious a rabbit not eating is.

We got to Dr. Stanzione's, he ushered us into the room a couple of minutes later, and he examined my boy. Took his temperature, which was 98! Really low. He palpitated Kashi's tummy, felt that it was distended, and took him into the back to get sub-q fluids.

Before we went home, he made sure we had Propulsid, Reglan, and a container of Critical Care. Next came the fun part!

I ran to CVS, bought a digital thermometer, vaseline, a baby medicine dropper set, simethicone, and a bag of rice, and most of Wednesday was spent on the floor, watching him and making sure he was warm. He was supposed to get a dose of each medicine that night, but try as I might, he wouldn't take it. He hated the syringe, wouldn't let me near his mouth with it. I didn't want to stress him any more that night, so I gave up and left him alone with the heated bag of rice and some wet chicory.

The next morning, Helen kindly stepped in and reminded me of a thing called logic, and reminded me that medicine is easily mixed in with Apple-Banana Critical Care. I made up a tablespoon, mixed both medicines in, and offered it on a spoon to see if he'd take it. He didn't seem interested, so I left him alone a bit in his cage with the bowl, came back twenty minutes late, and he was licking it up off the bottom.

His temperature today is still a tiny bit low, and he seems to be pooping a little less. He obviously isn't going to spring back from this right away, but it still bothers me to see him so subdued. It actually seems like his belly is still bothering him. I've been massaging it, and its still a little swollen. I got him to take 1 1/2 cc's of simethicone yesterday, but he's still lying on his belly every chance he can get and he really appreciates belly rubs.

He's also spent a lot of time at Matt's house in the last two days, which has led to surprising discoveries. Kashi LOVES Matt! He tried to follow him out of his room, hopped up onto the bed regularly to check on him. He decided to watch tv with us yesterday and flopped against my leg! He's usually so independent, it was kinda crazy to have him cuddling willingly! And, the absolute cutest thing I've seen, he binkied twice yesterday!!! Matt's room is carpeted and he doesn't get to play on rugs much, but I'm thinking I should get him an area rug in my room since he likes playing on them so much.

I just wish my poor boy felt a little better. I guess I'll keep giving him doses of the motility drugs until he starts perking up. Should I keep giving him daily doses of the simethicone? His belly does look like it hurts him. It can't hurt, can it? Maybe I should have given him a full 2 cc's of simethicone instead of 1 1/2. He IS a big 7.6 pound boy.

Simethicone never hurts, so sure you can give him some until he's better. One of the RO members told me she bonded a lot with her bun when her Toby got stasis. It sure sounds like Kashi has opened up more to the people who care about him.

Don't beat yourself up too much! Nobody is perfect, we all have our duh moments. You should pat yourself on the back for recognizing illness in your bunny so quickly. It really sounds like Kashi went downhill super quick and you wasted no time getting him very crucial medical attention. Good on you.

Hope your big stinker recovers soon!

Thanks, Helen. :)

To be honest, I'm still surprised that I realized he was sick so quickly. I really think it's more than coincidental that I decided to read up on ileus and stasis last week. But he's not woken me up before, or ignored his pellets in the morning. I just had a sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw how he was lying with his belly pressed to the floor and his eyes half closed. And the receptionist that told me to get him in as soon as possible helped, too. Kashi is now getting his Critical Care/medicine mixture spoon fed to him, by the way. XD

I know one thing for sure, as long as I have a bunny, I'm keeping a bottle of simethicone on hand. O_O

Glad to hear Kashi is eating his CC. Both Shades and Baci wouldn't take it willingly, not even the Apple/Banana flavored one. We had to syringe feed them and rub a craisin on the tip of the syringe just to get them to take it in their mouth. They fought us pretty good. Hubby had bite marks on his neck to show!:biggrin2: It is pretty nerve wrecking everytime one of our buns are not feeling well. Glad that you were able to get him to see Dr. Stanzione right away. You may want to include Pedialyte in your emergency kit. We always keep Pedialyte, simethicone, CC, Benebac, and pumpkin in the house. Not fun trying to find them in the middle of the night!

After Baci's first bout with statis, it was hubby who mainly took care of him while I was at work. He hated him during feeding/medication time that hubby felt so bad. However I really think he looks at hubby at the one who "made his tummy feel better," b/c they are like best friends now. Sometimes even I get jealous at their bonding.

Sending good wishes for Kashi to feel better soon. Sounds like he's getting there if he did a binky! Keep us updated.

Thank you for the well-wishes, everyone. Kashi is completely back to normal! It feels like he got better as quickly as he got sick!

I actually ended up not giving him the full course of motility drugs. They helped him loads at the beginning, got his tummy going, but honestly in retrospect, I think he would have made a full recovery after getting the sub-q fluids and daily doses of simethicone. Granted, I DID give him twice daily doses of the simethicone for three days there with the prescribed meds. The motility drugs just made me nervous because of how little we know about them. We're not even sure what parts of their digestive tracts they affect...So as soon as it seemed like he was eating and pooping like he had been before the stasis, I stopped them.

In other news, I think the episode helped us bond a little more! He sure appreciated getting snuggled while he wasn't feeling good. And Matt accepted the fact that he was going to spend two days watching his girlfriend lie on his floor snuggling her bunny boy without batting an eye. I think he finally fully realized that living with me AND my bunnies is a much different situation than living with just me. XD Which is a good thing, since he knows exactly what he'll be getting into when we live together now! Baby gates and hay on the floor and me randomly dropping to the floor on my belly to cuddle my boy are all things that will have to be taken for granted. LOL

It seems weird that this could come out of a serious illness, but Kashi is now a pretty regular binkier! I've been bringing him downstairs to my basement (which is completely finished and has no wires he can get to) for playtime, and we have a long runner carpet in the kitchen area, which takes up more than half of the entire basement (I LOVE cooking down there). Kashi has always enjoyed parking himself on the carpet near me while I bustle around the kitchen, sometimes he'll even loaf right between my feet, which makes taking a highly authentic Irish Brown Bread (aka REAL soda bread with no gross raisins), baked in a cast iron dutch oven, even MORE difficult than it already is to pull a red hot twenty pound pot out of an oven without burning your arms off. But now? He hops up to the carpet, gets himself into position at the very end of it, and takes off sprinting until halfway down the rug, and starts to do little shudder jumps and head tosses!

And we have a new game, too! He'll hop up beside me, and stand up and paw at my knee for a second, and then I turn around and kinda tickle his booty while cooing loudly in a happy voice, and he turns around and does huge binkies away from me! Turns out he's one of those buns that likes being chased.

In a much more serious note, Kashi's bout with stasis has left me feeling more confident in my rabbit-husbandry skills. I don't think I realized how much I've learned volunteering at the shelter until I had to use it. The real reason I'd been thinking about a bunny first aid kit was because I still want to get a partner for Kashi, but was worried about what would happen if the bun got sick, vet bills, how Kashi would react....but after last week, I feel like if he would have had a partner, his illness would have been less stressful, and I fully realized that he really is like my baby, and I don't care HOW long I have to make monthly payments to the vet, as long as he's happy and healthy.

Now I just have to figure out where the heck I'd stick another bun during bonding. And convince my parents that I really should get another bun.

Almost forgot-we had a Oolong style photo shoot, pre-stasis!
(He didn't nibble anything, I promise!)
IMG00231-20101002-1301.jpg

IMG00234-20101002-1301.jpg

LMAO! I love it when bunnies balance stuff on their heads... absolutely adorable!

I'm so glad Kashi's all better. :hearts

Latest posts

Back