your response determines the babies help, respond now please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight01

Reaction score
as you may know, my hampster had babiesyesterday 6/15/05. its 12:01PM and at 11:59 PM i realized 1 out of hte9 babies has a bleeding toe, its not gushing but should i do somthingabout it or let nature take its course, i just want her babies to beok, i feel as if they r my children too and i want to help god for bidif anything were too happen to one of the babies as well as the mother.what should i do?:?

P.S.- please hurry. i thank you for your time

put a little pressure on it with a kleenex orcotton ball until it clots and stops bleeding. just becareful when removing the kleenex, you don't want to pull off the scabthat should beforming.

SAS

PS: wash your hands thoroughly before doing it, and use a very clean kleenex.

if its just a wound, i would take it to the vet... thats not like a deformity it was born with you cant do anythingabout....if you have an emergency animal hospital around you (if youfeel the bleeding is that severe), you should go. immediately tho youshould wrap up the injury maybe put a cotton ball and then somethingtied around it..pressure will stop some of the bleeding and allow aclot. if you are able to examine the wound and if it seems small enoughyou can also treat it with a septic pencil, or a paste of flour n waterto alleviate some of the bleeding, but only if its not severe...b/c thebaby is so young any blood loss can be traumatic so if you have themeans please do take it to the vet asap ! hope everything goes alright!!

Baby hamsters are very different fromrabbits. I would not touch them because you don't want toupset the mother. If the baby is acting normally and the toeis not bleeding anymore then I would leave it alone. You saidthat it is not gushing so I think that it will stop on its own butsince I can't see it, you have to be the judge.

I would make sure that the toe isn't bleeding anymore. Themother may have accidently bit it off while she was cleaning them.

GOOD LUCK with the babies! Baby hamsters are so fun to watch!

mine never seemed to mind too much.just treat the baby where it is, you don't have to pick itup. i've never had a hampster bite me. (at leastnot for that). of course I could be wrong, but heh, it's justa bite. ;)

thank you all, it was only about 1 minutes untill u guys responded, respond more if u want to, its st ill helping me

thank you all so much! you are all great, !! ^^:)

Unfortunately hamsters aren't always the bestmothers. They often eat their babies. Hopefullythat is not the case here. I would put a little flour on thewound to stop the bleeding. You can treat it with a littleNeosporin.

Jen

yea the bottle is working, she has water on herface now, and shes a lil wet, i dont want her to get sick either?, imsure the baby is fine now, but about the mom, she is biting alot, likeher little plastic house, her metal part of the water bottle, the cageitself

is this normal

a question out of curiosity.

if a mother were to leave a baby out and stop taking care of it, what do i do,

i mean i cant give it refrigerated milk can i? probably not

what do i do if that happens?

The mom is probably just worked up because youwere worked up. Animals can sense that kind of thing, yaknow? She'll calm down.

Jen

yea thats true about animals senses for other thing/people/weather haha

thanks

she actually just stopped and fell asleep, as soon as i started feeling better

thanks everybody!

honestly, i don't remember. she couldbe stressed or in pain. unfortunately, with hampsters, notmuch you can do about it whatever the cause. (ditto if shedecides to eat the babies, although i never had a problem with thatonce they made it through the first 24 hours).

i went from hampsters to guinea pigs (peruvian cavies), which are farmore civilized creatures to breed. they'rebornfurry and theyhit the ground running.mom couldn't catch 'em much less eat 'em.

i've found taking hampsters to the vet a useless endeavour.all the vets i tried just looked at them with great disinterest andshrugged.

good luck with the babies, they will probably be justfine.

SAS

thanks pipp and to everyone else

about that thing with

a question out of curiosity.

if a mother were to leave a baby out and stop taking care of it, what do i do,

i mean i cant give it refrigerated milk can i? probably not

what do i do if that happens?

the refrigerated milk wil probably be bad for the baby, but out of my 13 years of studying animals, i dont know.:ponder:

almost impossible for really young babies --everytime i tried it, they aspirated it and died -- but milk replacerfor kittens is used in emergencies. KMR. Definitelynot cow's milk. and its just a couple of drops every hour.

if she was ill and they were orphaned, best to find a surrogate mother, not bottle feed.

should be fine, though. if they've made it this far, mom will feed them.

SAS

Latest posts

Back