Yofi, Anna and the Crew, 2010

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember that episode you had last year. Talk about your post traumatic stress! You must have been in an utter fog while you and your co-worker walked.

After a major trauma like losing your mom or your brother being paralyzed, it seems like your life is forever split into "before" and "after". Since things will never be the same as "before", I think we forget - repress - as kind of a way to accept that "before" is not our life any longer. Oh, Dad remembers a few places they used to go as a family, some family pets, and that he attended a one-room school house (in the 1950's!!) for First grade. But, for him, his beloved older brother has "always"...for as long as HE remembers...been in his wheelchair.

And yes, they were (still are) very close. Dad's the youngest, and they have another brother and sister between him and Uncle Phil. But he says he was always closer to him than their other brother. He always helped out with Uncle Phil, when he was strong enough to help lift him and so forth (as these were the days before automatic wheelchairs and lifts to put a person into their car.) The farmhouse was never fitted with a handicapped ramp, either, which totally mystifies me, but I guess they all just got used to going up and down the steps with the wheelchair. (Can you imagine the kind of trust you would have to have in your helpers, to not panic that they might accidentally drop you, or tip you over, as you went up the steps? Boggles my mind!)

When Dad was old enough to date, he and Uncle Phil would double date - isn't that awesome? This has long since changed, but their other brother, Uncle Ron, didn't want to have a lot to do with Uncle Phil when they were teenagers. He just couldn't handle the responsibility - or the social awkwardness. I'm really proud of Dad, that he stepped up, out of love, to help Uncle get out of the house and have some normal teen age experiences. Uncle Phizzy (I call him :D) has been married 40 years now, is a successful businessman, has 2 grown sons and a grandson. Life has been what he has made of it. As Christians, we believe we will see him whole and walking again in heaven...it's a great HOPE to hold on to!

I love what your dad did for his brother...just imagine how much his love probably changed your uncle, made him stronger, showed to him that he was no different than anyone else. And that love probably helped both of them to become strong, independent people. I think it's just amazing what love can do...the story of your dad and uncle reminds me a bit of "Superman*, Chris Reeve and his wife, Dana. When he became paralyzed she stood by him and encouraged him, and in the beginning, when he wasn't sure he wanted to carry on, she respected whatever choice he wanted to make, but she also made it clear to him that to her, he was still the man he had been before the accident, and her love for him would never change. Your dad (and uncle) sound like pretty remarkable people. :hug:

Interestingly, I think that people who are close to their pets and see them as more than just a pet, can feel that same type of love and can be affected by it deeply. Someone who believes they aren't strong enough to get through the impossible often do so simply through the love of a pet, if they don't find it through their human family. Unconditional love can be a rare thing, but it is truly powerful. :)

Bassetluv wrote:
Interestingly, I think that people who are close to their pets and see them as more than just a pet, can feel that same type of love and can be affected by it deeply. Someone who believes they aren't strong enough to get through the impossible often do so simply through the love of a pet, if they don't find it through their human family. Unconditional love can be a rare thing, but it is truly powerful. :)

So true! There is nothing like being loved "no matter what". I think is so cool that a dog will be all excited to see you when you just went outside for 10 minutes! "I love you!! I missed you! I'm so glad you're home! Scratch me, Pet me!"...all while wagging their whole body. And being needed is a very powerful thing, to know that you can't give up, because your beloved pets are counting on you.

I agree. For some people, pets are literally their lifeline. Being needed is something we all crave, maybe sometimes for a sense of purpose, or to feel loved by someone/something. That's why they can be so treasured, because they give so much without even knowing it.

Speaking of furry critters, I took a few pictures of Yofi a couple of nights ago. I was at the computer and could hear him behind me...he was up on the sofa, 'exploring', as usual. Then suddenly he started darting back and forth in fits and starts, his big ol' ears barely able to keep up with the rest of him. Of course by the time I got my camera he was settling down - sometimes just movement from me will cause him to freeze, as though he feels like he'd better stop whatever he's doing, just in case I catch him in the act. But the photos, while they didn't get him in mid-BANZAII!!, are still cute.

PC086842.jpg

PC076805.jpg

PC076795.jpg

PC076796.jpg

PC076811.jpg

PC076815.jpg

PC076788.jpg

PC076782.jpg

PC076786.jpg

PC076785.jpg

PC076787.jpg

PC086844.jpg

And finally, off to check out the strange rabbit that never does much...

PC086864.jpg

PC086865.jpg

Aww! I want to kiss his big ol' nose! :) Adorable pictures! In the last picture, it looks like you *almost* have a matching pair of bunny statues. ;)

kherrmann3 wrote:
Aww! I want to kiss his big ol' nose! :) Adorable pictures! In the last picture, it looks like you *almost* have a matching pair of bunny statues. ;)

I bought that rabbit a year or so ago...when I walked into the store and saw it, the thing screamed "YOFI" to me. I thought that picture of him mimicking his statuesque likeness kinda neat. ;)

yofi is so adorable I could just squeeze him!

LOL...I wouldn't squeeze him too hard...you never know what would come flying outta the boy!

just love that fifth pic of him. looks like he's posing

What I smile at is the one below it, where he's all head. Last time I took the Yofster to the vet (one he hadn't been to before), the first comment the vet had was, 'What a beautiful rabbit!!' But then the second thing out of his mouth, after staring at Yofi for a couple of moments, was:

"He has a really big head!" When I laughed, the vet said, "No, really...I mean, his head is huge!"

hahaha...he doesn't know the half of it. That head houses one HUMONGOUS bunnay-ego...:biggrin2:

Oh my, if I told Yofi what Daisy thought, his head would swell even larger! ;)

Last evening I was wrapping Christmas gifts so I could send them in the mail shortly...well, Yofi thought this was great fun and decided to join in. He was sorting through the bag of bows, tossing some, tasting others, and then instructing me whenever I cut a piece of wrapping paper too large, apparently...he'd grab an end and *riiiiiip*...half of it would suddenly be cropped.

So toward the end of the evening I had one left to do - my dad's present - and once wrapped, I had to get up to go find some outer boxing for mailing. I was gone for about two minutes, all told; and when I got back Yofi - who had been hopping about the room, trying to help with the gifts earlier - was now sitting in a corner and pretending to be good. I walked over to the Christmas present, which I'd left on the sofa, and found a gift that now sported numerous *nom* marks all along one side...some right down to the box itself. So when my dad receives his present this year, I'll have a bit of explaining to do when he asks why his Hickory Farms smoked cheese assortment is now sporting rabbinous toof dents. :foreheadsmack:

Also got accosted this morning by the same e-lopian nominator. As I sat on the sofa eating a banana, Yofi's banana-dar must have been set to "ON", because he came flying into the room, leapt right up onto the sofa beside me, and *thwumped* himself onto my chest in an effort to seize the tempting fruit. Good thing my arm is longer than his body, because he was stretching up on his tippy-toes trying to get it; and when that didn't work, he switched to Plan B...up onto the back of the sofa, and from there stretching out over the top of my head, all the while that huge nose of his quivering in excitement. If rabbits could drool, I would have been soaked.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
[quote

Daisy thinks Yofi looks dreamy in this picture.:inlove:

PC076811.jpg

[/quote]

:inlove: I think Yofi looks dreamy in this picture too!

Bassetluv wrote:
Also got accosted this morning by the same e-lopian nominator. As I sat on the sofa eating a banana, Yofi's banana-dar must have been set to "ON", because he came flying into the room, leapt right up onto the sofa beside me, and *thwumped* himself onto my chest in an effort to seize the tempting fruit. Good thing my arm is longer than his body, because he was stretching up on his tippy-toes trying to get it; and when that didn't work, he switched to Plan B...up onto the back of the sofa, and from there stretching out over the top of my head, all the while that huge nose of his quivering in excitement. If rabbits could drool, I would have been soaked.
Did you get blinded by the flaps of his big ol' E-lop ears dangling in your face? :p

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Never a dull moment with that bun around. Did he get a piece of banana after all that effort?

Of course, I had to give in and share a little bit with him (otherwise, he wouldn't be speaking to me for the rest of the day). :)

I think Yofi looks dreamy in this picture too!

*Karen, I won't tell him you said that either. That's all I'd need, is a Yofi-ego inflated to ten times its size...:shock:

kherrmann3 wrote:
Did you get blinded by the flaps of his big ol' E-lop ears dangling in your face? :p

LOL...I did get one flapper in my face at one point, but mostly it washis feet on top of my head. I was worrying he'd lose his balance and fall off the back of the sofa! Every so often The Boy thinks he's a cat, because he gets up there and runs across the length of the sofa back. How he hasn't toppled off yet is beyond me. Just the luck of the weird, I guess.

You know, if Cesar Millan ever branches out and decides to specialize in rabbit whispering, I'll be first on the list to call him! Some of the things I'd want him to fix would be:

Yofi running across the sofa back

Yofi stealing fud (or anything that resembles fud), from any source

Yofi head-butting The Cat whenever he's in 'a mood'

Yofi sulking when he doesn't get his way

Yofi scaring the #$%@ outta me when I watch scary movies (has happened a couple of times now)

Yofi trashing his and Anna's digs directly after I clean the cage

Yofi insisting on body massages

Yofi stealing mail and eating it

Yofi thinking (*knowing*) he's the pack-bun leader

Yofi being too cute for his own good

That list should keep Mr. Millan busy for at least 4 episodes of a Rabbit Whisperer show...and somehow, I think after that, he'd quietly retire and go back to dogs. (Of course, then I could always send him a list of *Things 'The Dog' Does*....;))

"Yofi rules and all others drool" seems to be this house's motto. ;)

A few more bunnay pics:

Annadoozer

PC197134.jpg

"Oh, Hai Cat!"

PC197140.jpg

"Hey, Cat? CAT...come bak!"

PC197141.jpg

Checking out the computer chair

PC197143.jpg

"Hey, wut waz that flash? Oh...Hai mom...nope, ai wuzn't touching nuthin'"

PC197144.jpg

Ooops...itch...

PC197147.jpg

The Dog, and her usual look of disgust when bunnies invade her space

PC197135.jpg

A series of pics...The Dog, Anna, and Yof...what I didn't notice at one point (and the reason why The Dog was growling) is that Anna had decided to taste-test Kaya's tail...

PC197209.jpg

PC197207.jpg

PC197213.jpg

PC197208.jpg

Bunny scritches

PC197214.jpg

PC197226.jpg

PC197231.jpg

PC197274.jpg

PC197276.jpg

PC197279.jpg

Anna itch

PC197286.jpg

Ear nommin'

PC197266.jpg

This next set is proof that the Yofster likes to 'sofasurf'. He leaps onto the back of the sofa and hops back and forth, from one end to the other. I have always marvelled at how The Boy does this without falling off...well, that is, until I took these photos. Moments after I took the last pic, I heard scrambling and a *WHUMP*. Yep, Yofi fell. Next thing I knew, he was flying out from behind the sofa, straight into the rabbits' room and into his 'fortress' (the big cardboard box) for safety. For some reason it seems he also blamed me for his own blunder...he wasn't talking to me for about 5 minutes after that. (His memory, however, is thankfully a short one...he was soon back out in the living room 'sploring once again.)

PC197163.jpg

PC197158.jpg

PC197159.jpg

PC197160.jpg

PC197161.jpg

PC197164.jpg

Discovering my purse

PC197130.jpg

Pretending he doesn't notice it ('doo de doo de doooo')

PC197149.jpg

"Hey Anna...check this out!"

PC197310.jpg

"I wunder if dere's enuf munney in here foar karrots?"

PC197309.jpg

AHA! Caught The Boy...mid-nom...

PC197315.jpg

This next picture makes me laugh. Notice that it looks a bit blurred in the middle? I was taking photos and my camera started acting up...wouldn't focus right, would balk at actually snapping the shot...I had no idea what was wrong. Until I looked at the lens. Yofi had approached the camera a few moments earlier ("jest to chek it out") and he had nudged it in the process. So when I finally turned it around and looked, there it was...a big ol' Yofi nose-smudge right in the middle of the lens. D'oh...

PC197324.jpg

'Hai dere'

PC197340.jpg

Anna's 'Merrie Kritmus' pose

PC197375.jpg

And finally, a couple of his royal weirdness

PC197341.jpg

PC197236.jpg

PC197248.jpg

Latest posts

Back