Winston Not Feeling Well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winston seems to be almost 100% better.

He's eating well greens and pellets. I started the bunnies on the new hay last week, I really have to watch to make sure they are all eating it. I sure hope they start to eat more, cause it's way cheaper but if they don't then I'll have to look elsewhere for hay. Does anyone on here buy Farmer Daves hay?

He's pooping lots and they are back to his normal colour and size. I would assume this means that the blockage has passed through his GI system.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and prayers. Both helped get all of us through this ordeal.

Susan, Chris, Winston and of course Vega:)

Oh Im so happy to hear that! Winston is like the RO mascot since we all got to meet (and love) him. Its so scary when he's not well.

I have used Farmer Dave and I liked it. It was a tad dusty compared to Kleenmama and APD but definitely good hay.

So glad he's back to normal. It amazes me how much a little change in hay consumption or type can affect their GI systems!

They have definitely got opinionated little body systems!
Glad he's doing better! Poor little guy!

Thank goodness...I was just reading through on the edge of my seat, so I'm so glad and relieved everything is okay now.
Bunny kisses to Winston from us 3.

Btw I get my hay from a farm- it's dust extracted and quite popular with rabbit owners- but it is so unbelievably cheap. And you can just smell it's wonderful. Maybe you could get hay from somewhere like that? A farm somewhere? Really fresh and sweet so ur buns really want to eat it? I find my buns leave non-fresh hay, but attack fresh hay!! So I always have the freshest hay I can find.

So this morning my Dear Winston did not run for his Papaya tablet. Oh boy not again.

We gave him the Ovol, some water and pineapple juice. He is doing some poops but they are smaller than normal. He has eaten a little hay that I hand fed him.

He's moving around quite well, like running away from us when we try to catch him.

I'm praying that it's not the blockage.

I guess I don't understand how a Vet can charge so much, discharge him and they still weren't sure what the problem was.

Susan:(

If it is a blockage it would not be able to dissolve and move through quickly. I would continue to give fluids by syringe preferable baby electrolyte drink (like pedialyte and also give pinapple juice several times per day. give Winston a lot of fluids and also some wet greens

. What needs to happen is for the blockage to soften and pass. he could still have a partialblockage but that can be treated ; it just requires a lot of time and effort.
Sorry that you are going through so much, Susan , and I agree that the vet clinic that he was at was strange.

Susan, I've been through this before. Almost identical situation.

The truth is these things take alot of time to pass. The good news is it was not/is not a complete blockage if he has and is still passing fecals. Even if they are smaller, that is ok. Sometimes with a blockage/mass it takes months to completely break up and dissolve. And some rabbits have slower GI systems than others, so this tends to hit them hardest.

I am not happy either with what your vet has done, and hadn't given you a hint as to why the situation occured. In my experience though sometimes things things just happen, a rabbit develops a partial blockage / mass due to so many factors.

Why don't you try introducing abdominal massage along with your current treatment of hydration, ovol and pineapple juice? Massage the belly by pressing your fingers flat against the body. Put some pressure into him and moved down from the ribcage towards the hindquarters. It feels kind of like you are "smoothing" the belly. This action stimulates the GI tract and also may help in breaking up the mass in his gut. Winston may not like the act of being restrained/held to do this but I have never had a rabbit not enjoy this either. They always end up tooth purring and liking the massage.

I really hope he gets better. I'm sure he will :)it sounds like the worst is behind him.

Jan, Winston seems to be doing ok.

We are giving him the pineapple juice and pedialyte a few times during the day. He is eating greens and pellets.

He is going poops but still not as many as before he got sick.

Susan:)

Is he eating any hay , Susan? Did this start when you changed hay? Are you feeding Farmer Dave's hay and if so what kind
I looked at the site awhile back but never ordered as I think it's east coast hay and thought it would cost more but don't remember why I didn't order it
I know some people on etherbunget it
Anyway just wondering if he doesn't like whatever hay you are feeding him?

Hey Maureen, "is he eating hay?" that's a good question. This started about a week after we changed hay. We actually changedWinston and Vegaback to the original Kaytee hay.

All the others are eating it but they don't eat as much as before, which worries me a little.

This hay was bought from a farmer, "Yay4Hay" is where I bought. Someone on another Rabbit Forum said they bought it and it was really good.

I do find the hay is a lot coarser whith much bigger pieces. Also it's not as green as the Kaytee. I sure hope they start eating more as I bought a 60 pound bale of it.

I was asking about Farmer Dave's hay because I've read about it. Unfortunately I really don't know of a place here in Canada that sells reallgood hay. I've heard such good things about "Kleenmama" hay I wish we could get that here.

Susan:)

Back