Winston Not Feeling Well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Please say a prayer for my Winston, He's not feeling well. It started around 10:00 pm last evening. We gave him Ovol 3 times and some CC this morning.

He's very uncomfortable right now. I'm trying to get a Vet appointment, of course the closest one to me, the Vet who deals with Rabbits isn't working today. I left a message for another clinic now I'm just waiting for them to call me back.

If I don't hear from them soon I will call the vet we usually go to, but they are an hour from me.

I'm thinking of bringing Vega with me, what do you think of that idea?

Thanks

Susan:(

Hi Susan

It would be fine to bring Vega with you..
How old is Winston?

but besides being gassy what are his symptoms .
is he eating ,drinking, pooping???

Oh dear. Definitely take Vega in--I took Muffin in with Tony when he had a wet nose and it was absolutely fine. When you're in a panic like this, just call every vet you can think of. :fingerscrossed: I hope something can be done for him. Have you tried belly massages and/or a warm rice sock on his belly?

I ended up bringing him to our Vet, good thing to as they felt a "Blockage" (small) in his tummy.

Poor little guy, he's so scared, he really hates being held too. The vet also noticed that his teeth need trimming so she did that. Gosh that was quite the ordeal, it took 3 of us to do it.

She also said he was a bit dehydrated. They are going to do any xray, give him fluids and then figure out what else to do after the xray. Many hundreds of dollars later, which I'm not complaining I'd do anything for our babies.

I did take Vega with me for the ride but I didn't keep her there as I don't want to stress her out. At least she cuddled with him and kept him warm as I noticed he was starting to get a little cold.

He hadn't pooped, ate or peed since last night around 10:00. We did give him the CriticalCare this morning around6:00AM.

Please say a prayer that he will be OK, I'm very worried about him.

Thanks

Oh gosh, poor Winston :( What a worry for you....

Is he still at the vets now? Did they say if he would be coming home today?

I'm thinking of him, I hope he gets better soon!

:hug:

Hope everything goes well with Winston.

When Smitten was in the hospital with the same issue I took Sawyer, her companion, in for visits. It perked both of them up. I always take them both when I go to the vet. Same with Goobie and Woody.

Yes Jen, Winston is still at the Vets. Not sure if he's coming home, that depends on what they find from the Xray. I really hope I can go pick him up later, poor Vega is so lonely with out him. Of course Chris is working today so I had to deal with everything.

I just heard from the Vet, she said that the Xray did show something in his gut. They are doing a type of Barium Xray which they have started. They have given him pain meds and fluids. He hasn't eaten anything yet.

He will have to stay the night. My poor Winston, he's going to be so lonely without his Vega.

She explained that they use the Barium to see if their is movement in the Digestive System. Does that make sense?

Susan

Im so worried about Winston, Susan. He's such a little baby. Please let me know if you hear anything. Had he pooped today do you know?

Well we just heard from the Vets. She said their is a blockage. The barium is getting through but very slowly. They are not sure what is causing it.

She said he ate a small amount of carrot. She also said he would be much better off at home as he is a very nervous bunny. We are picking him up at 1:00 today.

Should they not have given hm some type of Gut Motility drug? I didn't ask but will when we pick him up.

She said to bring him to an emergency clinic if he gets worse this weekend, to which Chris told her that we probably know more than some of the Vets at these clinics.

Lets just say for $700.00 + we are not real happy at the moment, to top all that off we are bringing him back on Monday for a check up, they are going to charge us an additional $50.00.

I can honestly understand why people do not bring their pets to Vets, these prices are just rediculous. I'm not saying we wouldn't bring them in but come on most of these places are in it just for the money.

I will be phoning around next week to all the Vets in our area comparing prices. I will make a list of everything we had doneto Winston to see the difference in prices.

Susan

if he has a blockage they shouldn't have given him a gut motility drug ..but it"s possible that they gave an injection and if he is alright now it probably didn't hurt him.

if this is your regular vet then i cannot imagine that they would not have x-rayed him first before giving a GT drug.
Their are all kinds of blockages .do they think that it is foreign matter (like rug) or a growth or possibly a slowdown with just food and gas in the stomach and intestines.??

Whatever.... he probably should be getting sq fluids.

I agree, sad but true, that the prices for care are so high that it is almost impossible to keep up with them if you have the numbers of rabbits that we have

If they used true barium then barium hardens if it is not eliminated from the system

You might want to ask them how they plan to get the barium out of him?

Now this is info I know from nursing a long time ago so maybe the substance is something like barium but not true barium?

let us know what's going on
is this you regular vets ; I 'm sorry i didn't go back and read it

:pray:Maureen

On a side note, barium feels really odd inside, and is NASTY when passed, so be prepared for that aspect of it. I would also wonder if it is not the same sort of stuff they use in people. I'm not sure how a rabbit gut would cope with that.

I really hope he is ok Susan.

Thinking of you guys.

Back