Where are your rabbits from?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in China, where the petindustry(right words?) isn't well developed. Here's how Igot my rabbit: First I had to decide which pet to get. I hadthought about it for several years. I've been teaching here for sevenyears now. I don't especially like dogs, though the Chinese sure have alot of cute little dogs; in addition, people who live in the cityusually have to pay a high registration fee for their dog. I prefercats, but sometimes they bother my eyes. I chose a rabbit, because itis quiet and it can be kept in a cage. I live in a school apartment anddidn't want a pet that might destroy the school's furniture. After Idecided, I asked two of my university students to help me, as myChinese is not that good. It was Sunday afternoon. We asked four taxidrivers before we found one who knew where we could buy a rabbit. Hetook us to a street that has about six pet stores in a row. On Sundaysother vendors come and sit on the sidewalks with dogs and cats andbirds and rabbits to sell. There were four choices for rabbits, butmost of the bunnies looked too young to me. I found two that lookedolder (two months, the lady said), held one for a while, then decidedto buy it. Cost: US $1.25. She's a New Zealand White (the kind ofrabbit a magician pulls out of his hat). I also bought her a largercage and misc. pet things.

Last week I went back to that same pet street and bought another largercagefor her. There were no rabbits there, so I guess they areonly on sale when the vendors come in on Sundays. There is a vet'soffice on the street, too. I had one of my students ask if they knew ofany doctor who did operations on rabbits so that they wouldn't havebabies. He didn't know of any, as expected.

Nancy

I got mine from a breeder.When i decided to getmybunnies i asked one of my my friends where she got herrabbit and she told me about a rex breeder so we visited there and isaw my girls and had to get them! It was them or a gorgeous blue rexbuck but he was on his own and i wanted two bonded buns. No regretsthough! I love my girls to peices.:love:

Raphie came from a breeder, as English lops arevery hard to come by here (and he is an extremely special boy :)), andScooby (a ND cross) came from the local Humane Society, via PetSmart'sadoption program....

I got Stanley from a pet store and I would liketo get my next from breeders, but I like to rescue them from the petstore too so we'll just have to see where my next rabbit comes from. :)

Mocha, my Polish (mix?), came from a petstore. She was my first bunny, and I didn't know thatshelters had rabbits. My dutch, Loki, came from a shelter.

Most of my Flemish, Dutch and Mini Rex arefromour own breeding, (a few are from other breederstodiversifythe gene pool andimprove ourlines).

We also have/had Holland Lops, Netherland Dwarfs, Hotot, JerseyWoolies, Lionheads, Satins, NZ's, Cals, Polish and inumerable assortedmix breeds, all dumped here by people that "heard we hadrabbits".

I got Frodo, my dutch, from a coworker whose catwas scaring him. My mini lop, Merry, was purchased from a pet storecause I just couldnt help myself. She was just too cute.

I bought Snowy and Bambi from a Petstore of my city.

Then, one day I found Sammy on a homepage in the internet. I immediatlyfall in love with him :angel:and mailed his breeder. Few dayslater I bought him and he is cuter then I expected ;)

All my rabbits are bought from other breeders orare home-bred. I have taken in rescues at shows because Ifeel bad for them. Once I saw this adorable little blackotter jersey wooly buck in the raffle at a show. I thought tomyself, "I really don't need a buck but it can't hurt to touchhim". I opened the carrier and put my hand on him andOMG!!! He was so skinny I couldn't even believe it.Soooo, my friend and I put in a whole bunch of tickets to make surethat I would win him. I did and he is the friendliest rabbitEVER!!!! He is about 3 years old now andI still don't regret winning him. He has a home foreverhere!!!

I would have to ask my cat, Ranger, where Bunny came from since he is the one who brought her home :)

Note: He is very kind to her and watches over her.

I got Iszy at a rabbit show and I got Pristine from Lenci's breeder.

Poco came from a breeder who was selling out hisbusiness. I had just lost my first bun and I wanted to getanother. I saw the "bunnies for sale" sign and stopped.

I got Hef and Skittles from shows where I went "just to look"!:p

non-mixed flemishes are hard to find at shelters and rescues, that's why I got Phoenix from a breeder.

FreddysMom wrote:
I have two bunnies so far .. Freddy was a V-day present froma pet store .. and one day my b/f and I went out to buy hay and camehome with Vicky from the same store .. and I am soon to have a 3rabbit, Panzer a Palomino courtesy of the helpoftwootherforum members, whenever Tank decides to have them!!hrmph!
Aww... you're getting one of Tank's babies? Panzer will sure be a cutie!

Latest posts

Back