What's your litter of choice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm another wood pellets person. I get a bag at home depot for $4.50, a 40lb bag. We get them for our horses stalls at home depot as well so that may be why they are easy to find because they know we are picking up 40 bags every other week lol. Anyway I bought the bag of pellets 2 months ago and its only 1/4 gone and I clean Rue's litter box twice a day and its easy to just take the wet clump out and the poop with a vacuum. And I do it without taking all the pellets out. Its easy enough for me. Every other day I completely dump his little box and wash it out.

I use timothy hay in my litter boxes. The bunnies eat a lot when they're in there, it's compostable, and I'm not sure it works out to be all that much more expensive since I buy my timothy hay in bulk. I also put separate supplies of timothy hay out for food and they seem to know the difference:). They don't poop or pee in the food hay bin. Smart bunnies;)

I used to use the Feline Pine from the Pet Store...however I then got a horse again and discovered the price difference! The Equine Pine bedding is like $6 a bag vs $25 a bag! I LOVE it and I use it in all 3 liter boxes...line my rat cage with it and even throw some in the goat stall! Afterall, it is designed for a 1000 pound animals! I will never use anything else! It is the best!!!!

planetjenessa wrote:
I use the litter called yesterday's news, i think there's 3 different kinds, i use the one for small animals.
looks somewhat like pellets! but works great.

If you have a store called grocery outlet, they carry a big huge bag for 6.99, im sure you can find it in many pet stores and online.
I used to use Yesterday's News also. For those who do, be sure you are getting the kind that says "unscented." The scented isn't good for bunnies.

Mariah wrote:
I use aspen shavings. I get a huge bag and it lasts me about a month with two bunnies. It costs me $30 a month. I do dump their litter boxes everyday, scrub with vinegar and water and then replace with fresh shavings. If I don't clean them completly out everyday, they smell!

I wanted to start using the carefresh or a similar brand but I'm scared my bunnies will eat it. There is a note on the carefresh bag that says to not let bunnies eat it or if they do, to consult a vet. Does anyone else share this fear?

As well, I was told that pine and aspen shavings are not good for bunnies because of the oils. Anyone else heard this?
You may like the wood pellets. The 40 lb bag will last you at least a month, but only costs $5-$7. It took me awhile to figure out that you don't need to layer it thick since it expands when wet.
They are pine-based, but the process used to make them into pellets removes the bad. It's only pine and cedar shavings that are bad.
When I had 2 bunnies, I only needed to change the box twice a week. It didn't smell either. I do put hay on top too.

Well, yeah, I use the wood pellets too. They are wood fuel pellets that I get in 40lb bag from the feed store.
Here the bags cost $7 and few stores carry them. (Not much use for wood stove pellets in hot Phoenix!)

I have used Carefresh and unscented Yesterday's News in the past but am very happy with the performance and price of the pellets.

i used carefres and she didnt care for it. i used some special bunny litter... also didnt work out. ive used some kind of soft wood shavings and nope. i used old clothes that were already holy and that worked for a bit. then no. and i used shredded paper from out paper shredder unlimited supply very cheap what ever you get in the mail. works great for her.

Right now I'm using critter care, but before I was using kiln dried pine bedding. The pine stunk to high heaven if I didn't change it completely and clean the box every other day, and the critter care is working kind of but Cosmo keeps digging it all out of the center.

I tried the carefresh for when my rabbits got spayed. Shiny Things ate it. I could not tell visually if my rabbits had peed and could barely tell if they had pooped. I stoped using it 1 day after starting it. I still have most of a 60l bag left (only used 1-2 liters).

I used to use the pine pellets in the pans of my cages (wire floors). When I got my current rabbits I tried it for a little while but just did not like it much. I switched to Kaytee Soft Granule Blend and my rabbit LOVE it. When I am at my parents house I use the pine pellets. My rabbits REFUSE to use the box when there. I think that they do not like the feel of it. I finally got a bag of the kaytee to keep at my parents house and the rabbits IMEDEATLY started using the litter box great again.

I use wood stove pellets. I go through litter pretty fast, I think I may be doing something wrong, but at least its a cheap mistake. Though I do feel bad for the garbage men.

We use the same bedding Faith had in her cage in her now litter box. It seems to have worked, because she is exclusively using it. I believe it's critter care bedding(I know I have Critter Care something, it could either be the hay or the bedding :p)

Charmmy, that's a great idea, my dad has a paper shredder not in use... I never thought of that!

Latest posts

Back