what would be the biggest breed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronzxcvb

Reaction score
We have a duch about a year old and we want toget a bigger breed. preferably one the neighbors can hear each time ithops .(lol) Please tell me the best ones in your opinion ^_^ Thanks

Palominos!!!!!!:D

They are really AWESOME. Especially the boys.

See the avatar for a baby Pal pic. They will get about 8-11 lbs.--boys smaller than girls usually (but not always!)

Here's a 5-month boy:

Untitled-9.jpg

Usually very docile:

Untitled-3r.jpg

They have really neat faces and a beautiful bright russet orange coat:

P1010020.jpg

8 mo. front foot (for size)

8a9e3923.jpg

Well, that's my little plug for Pals. I absolutely love them.

Rose

Rose

There are a number of good choices!Below is a French Lop, but there are many other large/giant breeds thatmake wonderful pets.

Going to have to brag up the Flemish Giant akathe Gentle Giant. These guys are great! They have the most laid backpersonalities and watching these giants do giant binkies is priceless!I love my Giant!

Fergi's mom

Big Ben

47b4cf25b3127cce99a9bf64ee2900000016108QZMXDho5bG

47b4cf26b3127cce9adc6a78161000000026108QZMXDho5bG

I forgot to add, when these guys are coming, you can certainly hearthem! When they thump you won't mistake it, it is super loud! By theway, Ben is only five months in these pictures, still has an awful lotof growing to do.

Checkered Giants are also a BIG type ofrabbit.They are VERY similar to FlemishGiants.I gotsome info on Checkered Giant rabbits below.

Varieties:Black, Blue. The body is white with a coloured nose marking in theshape of a butterfly, a circle of colour around each eye, a spot oneach cheek, coloured ears, a straight line down the spine and top ofthe tail, and two large spots of colour on each side of thebody.
Weight: Males: 11 pounds and over, Females: 12 pounds and over
Physical Attributes
The body is long and arched. It is fairly heavy as comparedto other Full Arch Group breeds, though the legs are still long. Theears are long and upright, and the markings are unique to thebreed.

Personality
Checkered Giants can be temperamental. Many dislike their ears being touched, and they tend startle easily.

Coat Type & Grooming
Checkered Giants have ashort, easy to care for coat. Weekly groomings with a slicker brush arefine, except during shedding season when bi-weekly grooming may berequired.

There is a picture of a Checkered Giant below.

Pictured below is my blue Checkered Giant buck. He's a big spoiled baby :)

Breeds that are shown up off the table are more likely to be bitersandCheckered Giants are known as one of the most viciousbreeds of rabbits. They can inflict some serious damage so I normallyadvise beginners to steer clear of them or any of the other full archbody type breeds (Tans, Checkereds, Britannia Petites, English Spots& Rhinelanders). We also have Tans and English Spots-- very intelligent, but are prone to bite and scratch the heck out ofyou.

Pam

What a beautiful Checkered Giant Pamnock!:D

A British Giant is also a VERY LARGE rabbit breed, ronzxcvb.They can sometimes be even larger than a Flemish Giant. Here is somevery simple info on a British Giant:

British Giant- · A very large rabbit weighing 12.5lbs an over

· The colours are dark steel grey, black, white, blue, brown, grey and opal

· They make wonderful pets but they need a lot of room

There is a picture of one below.

Oh my Gosh, Angoralover! That is one beautiful rabbit! I wasn't surethat a domestic breed was bigger than a Flemish Giant, but seeing thatpicture certainly makes me wonder. Thank you.

Pam,

Buck had told me something once that he'd heard the the CheckeredGiants can be vicious. That rabbit you post is most certainly a Beauty.It's good to know that you really have to either take a gamble or getit while it's young.

Welcome Aboard, Ronzxcb, :)

I, like Fergi, have a Flemish Giant. From what I've learned about them,they can grow anywhere from 14-22 lbs. I think one of the biggest onrecord was 28 lbs, but don't quote me on that.

A Flemish Giant isn't going to effect neighbors, I wouldn't think.Although, my girl has been known to wake up at 3:00 a.m. and stomp forabout 15-20 times. She has everything she needs, but she's up so shehas to wake everyone else in the house up. Wouldn't be surprised if myneighbor downstairs heard that! :shock:

They are bigger in every way and so are their requirements: poops,cages, space -- "Binkies" - when they get happy and they contort theirbodies in all different directions like an olympian in the middle of arun.

If you want an animal to annoy your neighbors, I wouldn't go with a giant rabbit.

How's the Dutch doing?

-Carolyn

Thinking out loud, I wonder what the availability of British Giants are in the United States.

Pam,

Have you ever seen one or judged them?

-Carolyn

The British Giants are the same breed as the USFlemish. Like many of the UK breeds as compared to ours, theyare often heavier, shorter boned, and in some cases the Giants or largebreed ears (such as Beveren) are too short for our standard.

Pam

The Continental is very similar, but shown up on the table (the one in the photo you posted).

Is the original poster from the UK? It would help to knowtheir country in order for us to suggest breeds they might be able tolocate.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
The British Giants are the same breed as the US Flemish.? Likemany of the UK breeds as compared to ours, they are often heavier,shorter boned, and in some cases the Giants or large breed ears (suchas Beveren) are too short for our standard.

Pam

YAY!!

Thanks for the information, Pam.

I think I see what you mean when I compare the picture of the British Giant to Cali.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever experienced a nasty Flemish?

-Carolyn

The Flemish and Giant Chins are rather laidback. French Lops can sometimes be tempermentalaswell asthe full arch type breeds (in general). MiniLops can also be a bit cranky on the show table.

My show coat has certainly saved me from some nasty bites -- the bunns ended up with a mouthful of coat rather than my skin!

Pam

ILL PUT MY BID IN. I BET YOU ALL KNOW WHICH BREED TOO> LOL.

THE FLEMISH GIANT WHAT ELSE> LOL

I raise the gentle giants and I picked them because of theirtemperments. Now I must say I have meet one cranky flemish giant doeout of the must be about 480000 flemish I have met. Actualy the 480000could be a understatement.This flemish just so happened tobeone of mine unfortantly, but I think shewill comeout of it with age.The english lops are soppose to be nicetoo but after having the flemish giants for so long I have gottenspoiled to the nice temperments myself and think that the other breedsare kind of moody. LOL. I would go with a flemish giant buck, they seemto be the friendliest guys you could ever meet. I have trouble partingwith the boys that I have because they are so sweet and cuddly, but formy show heard I need more does than bucks unfortantly. The does do getbigger than the boys though, but they dont always look as massive, theykind of look girly because they dont always have the massive bone andhead that the boys usauly develop. I think that you would love to haveflemish. They do great with kids too. I help run the counties four hrabbit department and alot of the kids will get some of my flemishgiants to show. Everyone laughs because I can tell if the kids havebeen working with their rabbits because I always say now let me checkon how my rabbit is doing let me see your muscles. When they come tofair people are just amazed to see them carring them around all by themselfs when the rabbit is bigger than they are.

Oh my... Checkered Giants haha!

I've got some people at my county fair that know I hate CheckeredGiants. I have a huge fear of them! I had one guy who was going to usea Californian for showmanship one year. However, he found out that Iwas in his class and decided to instantly 'tease' me by using acheckered instead. Needless to say we had to switch rabbits forshowmanship! The judge told me to examine the Checkered Giant. Iinstantaly thought "Crap, I am NOT flipping that rabbit over, not if mylife counted on it." I was ready to step back from the table and'forefit' LOL! I looked at the judge and said "You want me to flip thisrabbit over?" He said "Wait a minute, I missworded, I ment examine itsmarkings." I looked at him and went "Thank goodness you repharsedyourself cause I was shakin' in my shoes!" He just laughed and we wenton.So what does the judge do, everyone knew I was scared ofCheckereds, oviously including the judge. So he told me he was going totest my abilities and have me 'watch' and keep this rabbit undercontrol while he spoke with the other participants. Wow, I've neverbeen so white in my life and having all eyes on me! The Checkered ranup and down the table like normal. Then all of a sudden it stoppedright in front of me...looked me straight in the eyes and nudged undermy chin. I just about screamed LOL! So the checkered layed down allspread out right in front of me staring at me for the rest of the 5mins which seemed like 2 hrs! LOL!

I've also had a little kid through my flip-flop into a CheckeredGiant's cage and told me to go get it out! I was like... you knowwhat..that checkered giant can have my $4.00 flip flop however you'reputting it in harm to its health with 'rubber' in its cage. He quicklygot it outta the cage. The turd had stuck my flip-flop in his meanestrabbits cage! LOL! I still have and wear those flip-flops to this day.:DIt even has teeth on the plastic part were the Checkereddecided to try eating my flip-flop. So that flip-flop had a near deathexperience.

I second Pam on no full arch breeds. I dispise those breeds and would never have one in my barn.

I'll stick to my little 2 1/2 pound rabbits. :p

~*~Amanda~*~

hey thanks for the help,^_^By the way dutchess (my dutch doe) is doing fine thank-youfor asking. ..... Just one thing, Some of you are reckamendingbucks.... I have been told that Does are the more timid.... and youdon't have to worry about them spraying in the house.....Nowi'm kinda confused....(lol) Anyways, Do you know of anygoodbreeders (flemish gaint breeders of course)in themilwaukee area?? I don't really trust the pet stores, so if you knowany one just post.

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
I second Pam on no full arch breeds. I dispise those breeds and would never have one in my barn.

I'll stick to my little 2 1/2 pound rabbits. :p

~*~Amanda~*~

But don't forget that the little 2 1/2 pound Britannia Petite is thesecond most feared breed:shock: The Checkered may comeafter you like a rabid dog, but the little Petite strikes like arattlesnake!

Pam

I find this thread extremely interesting becauserarely does one get the "straight skinny" regarding breedtemperament. Most people are prone to defend "their" breed asbeing the "best" breed there is and write off nasty individuals as somekind of anomaly and uncommon. I think people should be mademore aware of a predisposition in some breeds to be aggressive orunruly. Might save some heartbreak and injury at a later date.

Thank you, ladies, for being so forthwith in your honesty and experience.

Buck

Latest posts

Back