What veggies do you feed YOUR bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
I am wondering what veggies that you PERSONALLY feed your rabbits. I have seen all the lists of safe veggies many times before, but wondered what everyone on here feeds THEIR rabbits. What are your bunnies favorates. What does a normal feeding of veggies contain and how much?

Mine love and receive kale, collard greens, spinach, carrots and turnip - so they get those the most often. I usually give them a good handful daily when I have them in the fridge.

:) A normal feeding is usually a few ounces, but it depends on the overall health of your bun.

I'm still going through the list of approved veggies and testing them out - I go to the store about once a week and get 2-3 new veggies. I guess I usually get 1-2 new leafy greens, 1-2 old leafy greens, a single new non-leafy green (since they can't have very much of those) and two new pieces of fruit (since once I cut into a piece, it doesn't last more than 3-4 days even in green bags before I have to eat it myself to stop it from getting icky).

I give them about a cup each of leafy greens at lunch and dinner time plus a small amount of a non-leafy green at one of the feedings and about 1/2 tsp of fruit at the other.

Nala has been picky as can be about veggies... she'll nibble here and there but run off after a few bites and if I leave stuff in the cage, Gaz will sit there for thirty minutes or more just chowing down on veggies so it's been very difficult to try to get Nala to eat enough without Gaz eating too much. I basically settled for Gaz getting to eat extra leafy greens 'cause it took Nala so long to eat a decent amount (and she got more interested when I wasn't around) - I only strictly portion controlled non-leafy greens, fruits and leafy greens with a high OA content.

fortunately, one of the new veggies this week was kale and it turns out Nala can't get enough of that so I'll be buying it consistently from now on! her second favorite is mustard greens, but that's on the "high OA content" list so I have to limit how much I give her. Gaz also seems to like kale and mustard greens best.

so far they've tried bok choy, turnip greens, cabbage, carrots/tops, banana (they LOVE banana), golden delicious apple, parsley, cilantro, romaine, kale, mustard greens and another leafy green that I can't remember. they'll be getting to try a peach and a red bell pepper as their special treats this week :D

kale, broccoli, romaine, collard...unfortunetely I found out some of this veggies are not that great for the rabbits (high in Ca, so I will have to cut)
lately they ignore carrots for some reasons.

Agnes gets romaine, bok choy and sometimes kale and collard greens.

She doesn't like parsley, basil, cilantro, mint, banana (she's picky)

Her treats are blueberries which she loooooves!

I give Gracie Red Leaf Lettuce. Being that she is still new to me, I am introducing new things slowly to her. But Olivia used to get Red Leaf lettuce, cilantro, carrot tops, and she loved dill...i give 1 cup a day

Twigs gets either green leaf lettice or romane (about 2 large leafs)every day plus cilantro. He also likes bok choy, but HATES collard greens. He'll eat parsly but preferrs his cilantro. He also loves most any fruit but those are treats only.

Peppys main fresh foods consist of Romaine, Parsley(Which is his favourite), Kale and Carrots with greens. Apart from that he likes blue berries, loves apples, banana and cilantro. He only gets a small handful of veggies as he's tiny and never finished more than that unless it's parlsey

Last week mine had Turnip Greens, Kale, and Napa Cabbage. They did not like the Napa Cabbage much. It was a pain to deal with and most of it was white stalk. I think that the week before I fed Parsley, Mustard Greens and Cilantro. That was the first time that they have had veggies at all. This week I bought Cilantro, Collard Greens, Red and Green Leaf Lettuce. I know that the method that I give them is wrong but it has worked out VERY well so far. My method is that when I buy the veggies I wash and seporate them out on paper towels. I then put some of each veggie on each paper towel and wrap it up. Then it goes back in the fridge. This method works out so that all I have to do to give the rabbits their veggies is take the bundle out of the fridge and give it to my rabbits. I saw this method use on youtube. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpINm6pVh5s&feature=plcp[/ame]

Last week mine had Turnip Greens, Kale, and Napa Cabbage. They did not like the Napa Cabbage much. It was a pain to deal with and most of it was white stalk. I think that the week before I fed Parsley, Mustard Greens and Cilantro. That was the first time that they have had veggies at all. This week I bought Cilantro, Collard Greens, Red and Green Leaf Lettuce. I know that the method that I give them is wrong but it has worked out VERY well so far. My method is that when I buy the veggies I wash and seporate them out on paper towels. I then put some of each veggie on each paper towel and wrap it up. Then it goes back in the fridge. This method works out so that all I have to do to give the rabbits their veggies is take the bundle out of the fridge and give it to my rabbits. I saw this method use on youtube. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpINm6pVh5s&feature=plcp[/ame]

Last week mine had Turnip Greens, Kale, and Napa Cabbage. They did not like the Napa Cabbage much. It was a pain to deal with and most of it was white stalk. I think that the week before I fed Parsley, Mustard Greens and Cilantro. That was the first time that they have had veggies at all. This week I bought Cilantro, Collard Greens, Red and Green Leaf Lettuce. I know that the method that I give them is wrong but it has worked out VERY well so far. I do not "test out" veggies 1 at a time. Instead I test out 3 at once each week. My method for prepping the veggies is that when I buy the veggies I wash and seporate them out on paper towels. I then put some of each veggie on each paper towel and wrap it up. Then it goes back in the fridge. This method works out so that all I have to do to give the rabbits their veggies is take the bundle out of the fridge and give it to my rabbits. I saw this method use on youtube. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpINm6pVh5s&feature=plcp[/ame]

I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow to get Ollie some veggies and this thread has been very useful for giving me some ideas on what to buy!

From the store: romaine lettuce, wrinkle-leaf lettuce (grn or red), occasionally kale, collard greens, cilantro or parsley.

From the garden: basil, mint, oregano (some)

They each get about 2 cups worth per day.

I'm hoping to expand the herb garden though.

this week's non-leafy green was supposed to be red bell pepper... I thought Nala would love it for sure 'cause her favorite "vegetable" is fruit and it's got a sweet taste to it, but both bunnies turned their noses up at it :(

My bun loves: kale, mustard greens, romaine, green/red leaf lettuce, cilantro, mint, flat parsley, carrots with tops, a small amount of broccoli every now and then, grapes, she will only eat golden delicious apples, banana, and she will eat a little tiny bit of yellow squash and move on.
Pretty much, if its safe for a rabbit; she'll eat it. Shes not very picky, except with apples.
She really likes cheerios, but only gets like 5 of those twice a week. She only gets fruit a few times a week and its usually really small amounts. I give her greens all the time, I don't usually measure, and I don't buy all of what I listed every week. I get 2 or 3 green veggies and she eats those throughout the week. Its normally like a leaf of this and a leaf of that, or a small bunch of herbs.

Oh and she won't eat the stems from the kale. I have to tear the really thick parts of the stems off, because she'll leave them behind and move on to the next food. But she'll pretty much do a back flip for kale, because its her favorite!

My two usually get oak leaf lettuce in both red and green and occasionally bok choy or celery leaves, they've also enjoyed a bit of carrot from time to time. Not a heap but around decent veges can be hard to find but I know I can get good lettuce and bok choy. The lettuce is hydroponic and still has the roots attached so I can keep it for weeks as long as I keep the roots wet

we tried a peach today for the first time... the little slices of peach disappeared faster than I could say "aww, that's so cute!" :D

My bunnies get: Kale, collard greens, parsley, basil, romaine lettuce, rocket lettuce, dill, sometimes carrots, carrot tops, coriander (cilantro), spring greens, watercress, and banana as a treat :)

Back