What type of hay bale?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
I know a lot of you say you use hay bales instead of bags of hay. I get less money this year as my stipend, so I'm really looking for ways to save. I'm living off of about 50 dollars a month after paying my bills and rent...and bunny can go through that no problem in pet store hay.

I figured I'd take advantage of the fact that I live out in the sticks and buy a hay bale. But, I wasn't finding any that were timothy hay. They're all coastal or bermuda (or alfalfa...but she's fat enough!). What type of hay do you use for your bunnies when you buy bales?

I'm curious to see the answer to this question, I live in a big farm town and I'll be buying bales too after I'm through with this pet-store bag.

Orchard Grass is grown locally here in NC. They charge $8 a bale. When I get low on my current hay, I will give them a try. I usually keep Timothy & Orchard Grass. Currently getting bales from Oxbow.

I had to look around at a few feed stores before finding one that sells timothy hay. It cost about $24 for a full bale. I've been using it for the past 6 months to feed 2 rabbits. I haven't even used a third of it yet and I'm very generous with it, using it in the litterbox. At this rate it should last an additional full year at least. :D (It may average, then, $1 per month!)

You will certainly save lots of $$ buying it by the bale.

There is a local farm that sells bermuda by the bale. I was wondering about getting some of that for variety but wanted to see what others thought. They also have rye grass and 'teff.'

I've found bales of timothy hay to be fairly expensive in this area of Texas, mainly because I don't think it's grown much here. Alfalfa is pretty expensive too. Most of the feed stores are going to sell Coastal hay pretty cheap since that's normally what's harvested around here. If you get that, make sure it's horse quality. I also look to see how green it is. My rabbits have no problem eating it. I haven't tried Bermuda.

they don't have to have timothy hay - any type of grass hay will do for adults (as opposed to alfalfa, which is actually a legume hay). I know bermuda is a grass hay and I believe coastal is as well, so either of those would be a perfectly good substitute for timothy. you might see if you can get a small sample of each for your bunny to taste-test just to make sure you're buying something she'll eat :)

I got lucky, and my friend's mom kind of shares a horse barn. I got my bale for $3 from her. :)
I don't know exactly what type I use, but they say it's "mixed grass hay", and assured me there was no alfalfa. Buster seems to like it. :)

Sometimes you just have to look around for a while before you find what you are looking for. I currently have a bale of Costal and a bale of Timothy for my 2 rabbits. Also Petsmart sells 28oz bags of timothy hay for $3-$4. I think that it is called Vitakraft. Shiny Things LOVES it. Beauty is weird and will not eat ANY hay. (Hence why I have 2 full bales, and 2 mini bales).

Thanks, all. I've found Timothy hay to be virtually impossible to find in Texas. I've called every feed store I could find within 40 miles of Austin, and stopped in every one I pass on my way home to east Texas (about 50 of them). None have had timothy. I would assume the Tipster is not picky; she'll eat anything in her path. I'll get a bale of coastal or bermuda this weekend and see what she thinks.

Heiden's is good. We use to go there for goat and lamb feed/supplies. Some Ace Hardware stores also sell feed and hay. I can't store a round bale so we get the square bales.

Your best bet, connect with some horse people! Horse quality hay (just make sure it doesn't contain alfalfa) is great for bunnies! Mine love it! I'm guessing there are some horse people around in Texas! LOL Good Luck!!!

I did some research on this a while ago. I live in Michigan around a lot of farms. Most of them are horse farms and they usually are alfalfa mixes. Looking online for Orchard Grass or Timothy Hay, the prices are reasonable BEFORE shipping costs. After, the prices are ridiculous

I'm over in Crosby and I'm looking for some good hay too, my feed store doesn't know anyone with hay! That's hard to believe so I'm still on my search. :/ I just forget what all kinds of hay they can have, other than alfalfa, I know it's bad.

pity you don't live closer to San Antonio - I'm trying to give away a free bale of coastal because my girls are picky little brats who won't eat it :(

I'm sure if you poke around google or the yellow pages, there are feed stores that sell hay in the Houston area - there's numerous ones in/around San Antonio. failing that, Idoerr lives on the outskirts of Houston as well (back and forth between brenham and spring), buys hay from a feed store and could tell you where to find one (though it probably wouldn't be the closest one to you).

they can have ANY kind of horse-quality grass hay... if you get a "cereal" type hay like oat or wheat, you have to pick out the oats or w/e though, as the excess carbs are bad for them. I couldn't find oat in any feed stores anyway, though. coastal seems to be the most common thing in texas feed stores.

I'm over in Crosby and I'm looking for some good hay too, my feed store doesn't know anyone with hay! That's hard to believe so I'm still on my search. :/ I just forget what all kinds of hay they can have, other than alfalfa, I know it's bad.

You aren't very far from Channelview. You might try calling Channelview Feed on Market Street.

If you are willing to drive a little there is a great feed store in Spring called Heidens. They are great people and have great stuff. Also I could sell you part of a bale if you are willing to drive. The feed store where I bought my current bale is called D&D. They are located in Tomball on 2920. Failing all that there is a BIG rabbit show in Crosby in Febuary (I am almost sure, I went to that show 4 years in a row, just have not checked this time yet). I am sure that someone there would be able to tell you were to get hay at.

Ok I will give them a call when I get back. Yeah I know we have the fairgrounds right here and a ton of horses and my closest feed store dares not to have hay? Shame on Walton's. lol.

Latest posts

Back