"What ia this monstrosity?" (Not urgent)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catlyn

Reaction score
Caught my lady flopping around with a big poo stuck right outside the hole, didn't seem like she was able to push it out on her own. So i assisted in gently pulling at the poo, only to see a stringy blob come out as she released a pearl of tri-poo. I laughed at the monstrosity for i had never seen pearl poos in person, even more so from a lady who eats hay like a lawnmower and whose super-shed i'm clearing out. Every. Single. Day. All the other normal singletons lay scattered in her loo and some on my bed for i laid hands on another's bun and she's territorial about it. She also drinks water better than me and gets plenty of apple twigs along with usual heaps of hay, so a lot of leafy crude fibre that should, by all means, keep the string poos away. So i'm left wondering, how the heck did she manage to produce that?20231016_212038.jpg

Last edited:
Caught my lady flopping around with a big poo stuck right outside the hole, didn't seem like she was able to push it out on her own. So i assisted in gently pulling at the poo, only to see a stringy blob come out as she released a pearl of tri-poo. I laughed at the monstrosity for i had never seen pearl poos in person, even more so from a lady who eats hay like a lawnmower and whose super-shed i'm clearing out. Every. Single. Day. All the other normal singletons lay scattered in her loo and some on my bed for i laid hands on another's bun and she's territorial about it. She also drinks water better than me and gets plenty of apple twigs along with usual heaps of hay, so a lot of leafy crude fibre that should, by all means, keep the string poos away. So i'm left wondering, how the heck did she manage to produce that?View attachment 65430
I give my bunnies papaya bits, pineapple bits or a capsule of this kind of stuff. It breaks up the hair in their stomach and they are relieved from this very issue!

Yep, it's fur inside, the entire thickness of the stringy bit is. Haven't seen any more of these though her food intake and brushing intensity is all the same.
None of the combs i have do quack to capture her loose hair, so i gently pluck whenever i pet and cuddle with her. I briefly attempted to lint-roll her but i didn't even get to touch her with it because she automatically ran away from it. That was hilarious to look at. She bit off one of my laptop keycaps in retaliation.
Her shed this year is a MONSTER. I've never seen her shed this heavy before. Every day, her rump area and dewlap give me enough floof to densely pack a needle pin cushion pad thingy. Even after i think that i've managed to get all (or a vast majority) of it. I feel that if i brush her any more, she'll seriously go bald and get chilled.
All of her lost fur does seem to be growing in again, and half her back is already covered in newlyfound healthy fur, so i suppose the heavy moult should be coming to an end soon?

Lots of hay. Encourage lots of hay eating by refreshing it several times throughout the day. The hay helps push the ingested fur through the gut. That type of poo is often referred to as a string of pearls since the fecal balls seem strung together by all that fur.

(The idea of feeding pineapple or papaya to dissolve the hair has been proven to be a myth. Bromelain is the enzyme in pineapple (& papaya) that can dissolve hair. However, a low pH (below 3) destroys the enzyme. The pH of a rabbit's stomach is 1.5 - 2.2. That means the enzyme cannot survive in the rabbit's stomach to breakdown the hair.)

Thanks to all for the reminders. She's cool and doing fine as always. Haven't seen a single odd-looking poo since. Iris never has problems with her hay or water intake and i'm plucking her loose tufts literally every chance i can. It's less ''asking for help'' and more of ''hah look at this oddity despite all being well'', this post. My humour is off-rails so i thought it might also amuse others briefly. Iris is happily raging on my bedsheets for all the brushing i've been inflicting on her.
This thread may as well be closed now :)

I give my bunnies papaya bits, pineapple bits or a capsule of this kind of stuff. It breaks up the hair in their stomach and they are relieved from this very issue!
I also, give my buns dried papaya. It makes such a difference. I still do get a few stools that are connected by hair but not nearly as much.
Here is a link to the kind I buy.
https://a.co/d/47tBtJT

Just to reiterate, pineapple and papaya is fine as an occasional treat but does not (cannot) dissolve hair in a rabbit's gut.

Bromelain is the enzyme in pineapple (& papaya) that can dissolve hair. However, a low pH (below 3) destroys the enzyme. The pH of a rabbit's stomach is 1.5 - 2.2. That means the enzyme cannot survive in the rabbit's stomach to breakdown the hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back