WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night we had satay tofu with vegies and rice. Tonight I'll probably have 2 min noodles :p

Because I'll be working late for the next several nights, I made another casserole tonight. Paul loves casserole and they provide dinner for 4 nights, so why not? The one I made tonight was similar to the one Jen made last week with the tomato sauce and pasta and cheese, except I used vegetarian meatballs (they're good and Paul wants to eat less meat) and added burgundy olives. Yummy! I had today off so I made wonderful, delicious waffles with a touch of cinnamon in the batter for breakfast and we had them with boysenberry syrup.

Last night we had fajitas, made using just sliced onion, sliced bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and a leftover pork chop from the night before. Night before that, I grilled pork chops with chipotle citrus marinade, plus we had green beans and biscuits. Night before that was penne pasta with sauteed onion, green pepper, tomato, mushrooms (obviously the fajita veggies were leftovers!), capers, olive oil and lemon juice. Everything was quite tasty this week :)

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Night before that was penne pasta with sauteed onion, green pepper, tomato, mushrooms (obviously the fajita veggies were leftovers!), capers, olive oil and lemon juice. Everything was quite tasty this week :)
That pasta sounds yummy! And now capers, I could eat those all day. I LOVE capers!

I'm trying to decide what to have tonight, even though it's only 11.30am. I am thinking about making a curry, although that means I eat on my own because Steve doesn't like spicy food... Prawn curry maybe, with green beans, and rice..... Yum.... :)

We've just got back from the vets with Snowy so I've just had a late breakfast/lunch of a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, whilst I watch the bunnies in the garden :)

am doing one of hubby's all time favourites -pot roast ham, mashed potatoes and parsley sauce. tomorrow it's lasagne with salad. then i shall go shopping..

I had my prawn curry for dinner tonight.

It's a sort of 'curry' anyway. I put a whole red chilli, a stick of lemongrass, a lump of fresh ginger, a shallot, 3 cloves of garlic, some ground turmeric and groundnut oil and put them in a blender. Blend to make a paste, then gently fry for a few minutes. Add green beans for another couple of minutes before adding about half a can of coconut milk. Then add the prawns, some salt, pinch of sugar and soy sauce, and the juice of a lime. I had it with white rice. It was a little spicy, I guess I put too much chilli in, but sooo yummy!

Here's what it looked like:

IMG_0073.jpg

:)

We are having potato casserole and black bean and lentil dal tonight, I'm just putting it on the plates and heading out to the woods again - we are eating outside again tonight. It's about 40 F out so not bad! The fire helps keep us warm :)

edited to add - everyones dinners sound yummy and look great! The curry looks Jen, will have to try it some night.

I made a sort of hash from last night's brisket leftovers. (The food last night was a lot of food....Jason and I both ate, he had seconds. I also packed up 4 lunches for this week, and had just a bit left of brisket and mashed 'taters left.)

I sliced up a wedge of cabbage, and tossed it in a skillet with some butter. Added a cut-up red potato that I had microwaved for a couple minutes. After those started to brown, I threw in half of the leftover meat, chopped into small pieces. Fried until hot and crispy. Tomorrow I will probably have the same, but I'll use the bit of leftover garlic mashed with it.

100_2171.jpg

(This is on a lunch-sized plate, so it's not really as much food as it looks like here.)

Jen: Your curry looks delicious! I never would have thought to have green beans and shrimp, but it sounds great and I'll have to try it. I love spicy food, too.

BethM wrote:
Jen: Your curry looks delicious! I never would have thought to have green beans and shrimp, but it sounds great and I'll have to try it. I love spicy food, too.
Thank you! It was delicious! :D

I have also made it with prawns/shrimp and sliced mushrooms before, but served the green beans on the side, but I prefer the beans in it. They stay kind of crunchy depending on how long you cook them for, and the whole thing is soooo nice. I ended up adding a dollop of plain yoghurt on the side of mine to cool it down a bit which was really yummy!

I haven't made enough curries recently.... I must make beef in black pepper and plain yoghurt soon and post the recipe!

moz-screenshot.jpg
Well, here is a picture of what we ate, but the picture isn't of what we ate... If that makes sense. Here is what I wish my dinners looked like. :D

Here are the differences:
- My pork chops did not have those lovely grill marks. We don't own a grill...
- We had mashed potatoes out of a box... :D
- Our veggie was canned corn.

I wish my dinners looked that nice... *pouts*

mouse_chalk wrote:
BethM wrote:
Thank you! It was delicious! :D

I have also made it with prawns/shrimp and sliced mushrooms before, but served the green beans on the side, but I prefer the beans in it. They stay kind of crunchy depending on how long you cook them for, and the whole thing is soooo nice. I ended up adding a dollop of plain yoghurt on the side of mine to cool it down a bit which was really yummy!

I haven't made enough curries recently.... I must make beef in black pepper and plain yoghurt soon and post the recipe!
Yes, you must make that, AND post the recipe! :D

For curries, I usually cheat and use the red curry paste that comes in a big tub from the Asian supermarket. I think it's a Thai brand that I use. I like to make it with chicken, potatoes, bamboo shoots, and then I'll add whatever veggie I have around. Or I'll use green curry paste with tilapia, especially if I have some yellow squash and zucchinis around. I get in sort of a curry rut sometimes, though, and don't try adding different things.

Jen, that curry looks and sounds so good! Everyone's dinners look good. Tonight I'm making an unhealthy dinner. While I was working today I just thought it would be nice to have. Chicken fried steak, woohoo! I make it about once every 2 years. What ya do is dredge cube steaks in a blend of flour, salt and pepper, dredge in beaten egg, then back in the flour. Then fry them on the stove in about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. Remove, drain off some of the oil if necessary, and whisk in more flour, salt and pepper. Cook for a minute or so and whisk in milk. Serve gravy over the steaks and biscuits, and serve some green beans on the side so there's at least some hint of something nutritious in the meal! I don't know if most people put the gravy on biscuits too, but we love biscuits and gravy so why not?

It's 9 pm here and we haven't had dinner yet because Paul isn't hungry yet. I am though so he'd better hurry up!

I've been a big slacker cooking the last few nights, but this morning I put a pork shoulder in the slow cooker. By the time I get home it will be a nice tender pulled pork.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
I don't know if most people put the gravy on biscuits too, but we love biscuits and gravy so why not?

I looooove biscuits and gravy. But, I think pork sausage is gross. So when I make biscuits and gravy, I use ground beef for the gravy. No restaurants make biscuits and gravy with beef, so I don't have it very often.

Can I ask..... what are biscuits?!! :?

Over here, our biscuits are what you guys call cookies.... So I'm imagining a chocolat cookie and gravy?! LOL!

Tonight I think I might make shepherd's pie. Well, it's actually cottage pie because I use minded beef and not lamb, but my mum always called it shepherd's pie, so I do too. If Steve should decide he doesn't want it, I could always make spaghetti bolognase or chilli for myself and he can make his own lol :p I'm a terrible housewife! ;)

i am getting some great recipe ideas from this thread:biggrin2: snowyshiloh - that fried steak sound lovely. just the sort of thing that would get me arrested by our food police:pssd: am going to get googling as im not sure that the biscuits would be what i call a biscuit. lol. and i was going to make a cottage pie this week!

In the US, a "biscuit" is a small, round bread sort of thing. Usually the size or a dinner roll, but they're different, made with baking soda or baking powder instead of yeast, and are traditionally made with buttermilk. The dough for a biscuit is rolled out, then cut into rounds.

I think they are sort of similar in taste/texture to a savory scone. But not flavored. They can be served with gravy for breakfast (or dinner!), or served as the bread component of a meal, and are delicious when spread with butter and/or honey or jam. They're sort of traditional to go with fried chicken.

Latest posts

Back