What breed is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZahraJ14

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got my bunny a week ago it’s about 8 weeks old. I don’t know it’s gender yet, going to the vets on Monday but i’m not sure what it’s breed is? Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

• D32AC07E-197E-4C59-B9E2-A4ED3C50EA84.jpeg
    D32AC07E-197E-4C59-B9E2-A4ED3C50EA84.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 5068CB5C-F8B6-4874-95DA-856F9BF979C4.jpeg
    5068CB5C-F8B6-4874-95DA-856F9BF979C4.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 14
It's a mix breed. The vast, vast majority of pet rabbits are mixed breeds and have been for many generations. It's not like dogs where you can guess at breeds pretty easily; rabbits breeds are all pretty closely related and identifying features can disappear within one generation. Cute rabbit. The color is called "tricolor"

Oh okay! I thought it was a mixed breed too! Do you know if there’s anyway to identify which?

There really isn't a surefire way like in dogs unless there is some really obvious trait, which I'm not seeing in your bunny. You have a cute little mystery rabbit! It can be fun to speculate, but you probably will never have a very concrete guess. The little critter is extremely cute, no matter what kind of bunny is in there!

Ahahaha thank you so much! Only wondering since I’ve decided to get it a friend and not sure if their breed affects how much they get a long with other bunnies!

It won't be an issue at all! I've seen giant bunnies with tiny companions and all sorts of breeds being friends! When I was looking for a friend for Willa I wanted another rabbit that was roughly the same size and age. With your bunny, I would wait until they are old enough to be spayed and then begin looking for a rabbit of roughly the same age at a rescue or shelter who is also altered and see if a rescue or shelter will do the bonding for you.

The same age isn't a requirement, although I tend to recommend it so that your rabbits will get to spend as much of their lives together as possible and you won't have to be as likely to be faced with one being bondless if the other is to die of old age long before the other passes.

Finding the right companion for your rabbit can be a tricky thing. It has to be the right fit of personalities or you could end up with two dominant rabbits that fight and you can't keep together. Breed really has nothing to do with it.

Like mentioned, an already fixed rabbit from the shelter/rescue is the best way to go usually. There's a whole process with bonding rabbits. They both have to be fixed, wait the appropriate time for hormones to fade, then go through the bonding process. If you get a rabbit from a shelter/rescue, they will often allow bunny dates so you have a better chance of finding the right companion for your rabbit.

Right now your rabbit is still too young to be fixed. So I would suggest that you start reading up on bonding, find a good rabbit vet to take your rabbit to for spay/neuter surgery, price it out if you have several good options as vets all charge different prices, and get an appointment booked with them for when your bun is old enough to have the surgery done(usually 4-6 months old). Then you can start looking at rescues and planning bunny dates to find the right companion for your bun. A lot of rescues in the UK will even do the bonding process for you, which I would recommend because it can be quite the stressful experience if it's not a love at first sight match.

There's a list of recommended rabbit vets in the last link. I know of other owner recommended rabbit vets in the UK that aren't on that list, but you would need to do some research to find who they are. I know of a couple somewhat near London, a really good one in Maidstone and also one in Twickenham, but those may be too far away for you.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Thank you so much for your advice and links. After reading, I fear i’ve made a massive mistake. My partner went ahead and brought a new rabbit ready to be picked up in 3 weeks very naively thinking it would be as easy as introducing two new puppies together. The bunny we currently have is a female at 8 weeks, the new bunny will be 7 weeks and a male at arrival. I’m not sure what to do. Neither of them can be spayed or neutered at such a young age. Have I made a massive mistake? Is it completely impossible for them to bond?

Thank you so much for your advice and links. After reading, I fear i’ve made a massive mistake. My partner went ahead and brought a new rabbit ready to be picked up in 3 weeks very naively thinking it would be as easy as introducing two new puppies together. The bunny we currently have is a female at 8 weeks, the new bunny will be 7 weeks and a male at arrival. I’m not sure what to do. Neither of them can be spayed or neutered at such a young age. Have I made a massive mistake? Is it completely impossible for them to bond?
at the moment yes, they will hit puberty very soon, and then the babies will come

My rabbits where both not neutered, i just kept them in separate cages, giving equal time out of the cage. Then after neuter and healing time i started the bonding.
So it may work out for you too if you have enough space.

Unlike cats and dogs, rabbits aren't usually just routinely fixed at around 8 weeks old. Usually for males it's when their plums drop at around 3-4 months at the earliest, and for females it's usually 4-6 months. But call around to the rabbit vets around you, and ask when's the earliest they fix each sex of rabbit, so you can start making plans and vet appointments.

It's not impossible for your rabbits to be able to bond, it's just better to do it the other way and let them pick the companion, since there are most definitely some rabbits that seem to hate each other and are unbondable. I had a pair like that, two females. I tried for months, all different methods that were possible, and they just never would get along.

For now, if there's a chance at all to be able to keep your current rabbit and the one you're getting together before they're both fixed, you would have to first confirm the sex of your current rabbit, then the sex of your new rabbit. If your current rabbit is a female and your new rabbit is a male, when you get him if he's less than 10 weeks old, then you may be able to keep them together for a week or two before needing to separate, as long as neither shows signs of aggression or wanting to hump the other rabbit. Males usually start to become hormonal sometime after 10 weeks and females sometime after 12 weeks. So both would need to be under those ages, particularly the male.

Now if you end up having two females(and this is confirmed or you could end up with babies or two males fighting), and you put them together with no signs of aggression or humping, then it's sometimes possible they will continue to get along and can be kept together until they are 4 months old and old enough to get spayed. Though you always have to very closely monitor their relationship for signs they would need to be separated until their spay instead. You don't want to risk it because if you get two pretty dominant females and one starts pestering the other, it can irritate that other rabbit to the point a fight could break out, resulting in potentially very serious injuries.

If you have a male and female, if you can find a vet that will neuter at less then 12 weeks old, you may be able to bond them pretty quick. If you have a male/male combo. You'll need to keep them separate from the start, get both neutered, usually wait at least 4 weeks for hormones to fade, then attempt to bond.

If you don't want to risk anything, just keep both rabbits separate regardless of sex until both are fixed, then attempt bonding at the appropriate time(usually 4-8 weeks post neuter/spay). Bonding can still work, it's just far more complicated than getting an already fixed companion and doing dates to find the right match.

Back