We've got visitors...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ewww, I wouldn't use glue traps. I've seen a mouse get stuck on one and its not pretty(shrieking, mouse freaking out etc). I wouldn't be able to handle picking up the trap and removing the mouse. Plus that would be VERY messy and the mouse could get hurt or you get bitten(even through a mitt).

You'd be better off using humane traps if you are going to set them free. Or snap traps if you aren't.

Please don't use glue traps. There are more humane ways to deal with mouse problems, even if they may not be as efficient. Cliche as this line might be, they do have feelings just the same as our rabbits, or kids, etc. :)

They don't deserve a death like that; it's not like they deliberately come to upset humans.

Seconding the no to glue traps here.
A glue trap is a long, painful death. I wouldn't wish it on any creature. :(.

I think it is our job to be the "human" in "humane". If anyone feels that they must kill an animal, big or small, the onus on them is to do it as FAST, stress-free and painless as possible. Suffering is inexcusable.

**** Anyhoo, let's be cautious not to get overly graphic in here, guys. Don't need the gory details:p...we're supposed to be sending good vibes to the mouse psychic :)

Boy, I sure hope it works, Brandy! I wonder if you could catch them with peanut butter :p

They ARE disease carrying creatures my grandmother was a nurse for many years and returned to the job a couple years ago. she has seen people die from mice related incidents. also if dust gets mixed with their urine or droppings the dust can be congested in your lungs(not a fun way to die). My math teacher had a sister die that way. sorry I know that is a bit graphic but it is true. Living on a farm I deal with them daily. If they get in the house I put down glue traps then after they are gone i mop the floor with a swifer mop to them then mop the floor with pinesol water. I have been freaked of mice since I was a little girl and they lived in my closet I had nightmares of them. so I would rather have them gone then worrying about them coming back.

We tried peanut butter, bacon fat, cheese, cereal.. everything.. and he PLAYS around the trap. It's like, common there lol.

We didn't put the traps, I don't want them there, I'm extremely upset he put them in our house. But he said if we don't keep them there, and per say they ruin our furniture then we can't 'sue' them because we didn't do what they told us to.

So, my brother got a 'plan' that as Autumn said I wont go into gory detail, but I assure you he/she (they're both sexs right?) will NOT suffer one bit.

We put Babii's to-go cage out with some food inside, hoping to catch it that way. He still wont go in, he doesn't know whats good for him and it's very upsetting lol.

What worries me is we've seen him bunches of times beside Babii's cage (the one she's in) and it makes me so nervous, because they are sewer rats and most likely rabid.

I can't even let her out of her cage for play time, because I have no clue where they are in here. They are officially all over the house, so no matter where I put her, they can be around.
She's very feisty to, so she'd more then likely start a fight.

Its fine we all need to vent sometimes. I'm sorry you have to move due to this. mice freak me out. but I have grown to live with them (not willingly. UGH!) but they come with the territory.

Fun. A big kitchen is always best. It seems that with every move I get a bigger kitchen but it never seems big enough. lol. I love to cook and when a cook a big meal I cook a BIG meal and by the time I'm done I never have enough room. Good luck with your move.

I don't cook, I burn things. (meaning the oven catches fire..a lot) but it's always nice to have a nice kitchen, as I judge peoples house depending on their kitchens.

It's a private owner, so these.. issues wont be put off if anything ever happens (it's a company thats the landlord now.. so they have a lot of tenants)

I actually love mice, but I totally agree you don't want them in your home. Or any wild animal at all!! All wild animals are likely to carry parasites and therefore transmit diseases.

Please please don't use glue traps :( :(- there are so many other ways to solve your mice problems. They just cause a huge amount of totally unnecessary stress, and a long, painful death. The PETA and RSPCA are both totally 100% against glue traps.

A regulatory impact statement released by the Australian government cited a study that concluded that glue traps should be banned "because of the enormous distress that these traps cause, even if the trapped animals are found after just a few hours and then humanely dispatched."(1) One New York City pest-control manager said that he had even seen rats chew off their own feet to escape from the traps.(2)

Even snap traps are better (MUCH better in my opinion) than glue traps. I quickly researched it and every single site I went onto just now has said the glue traps are the most inhumane.
Of course- you can't guarantee that snap traps work ALL the time, but generally a very high proportion of the time (so high that I wouldn't feel as guilty using them), it's an instantaneous death for the mouse. :)

The best thing to do is block off entrances to your house and use mouth deterring air vent blocks (apparently 70% of mice enter your house through air vents alone).

I live opposite a farm so I have caught GOD knows how many mice.

By hand.

Mice don't come in our house really. 6 or 7 years ago we had a bit of a mouse problem, so we set humane traps, blocked entrances, cleared space etc. and made sure NO food was accessible. It solved the problem. I used to leave open packets of crisps etc in my school bag so perhaps this was contributing....hahahaha :big wink:. So stupid. But I was only about 13...

Now my two cats bring in mice (shrews and bats also), totally alive and seemingly unhurt most of time, to play with. When the cats get a mouse, they sit in the same spot in the house and growl, with it still in their mouth. So I get the mouse from them, (in a glove of course) and set it free on the farm again.

When the cats let the mice go, I have to chase the mouse to get it. I put on my gloves, watch where it goes, trap it, and then as it makes a dash for it I grab it and take it over the road, where it scurries off.

One time I was walking in the hall (where the cats bring the mice) and there was a tail sticking out my mum's bag NO JOKE. I was in hysterics and scooped the mouse out. Imagine if my mum (who has a huge fear of mice) saw the tail.

Anyway. My babbling point is- mice deserve the same respect and life qualities we have in the sense of suffering. How would I rather go? Instantaneous death as I am reaching for a piece of cheese, or getting shut in a box with food and water before being released? Or stuck in a trap where I might be in extreme pain, die of lack of water, try to knaw my own feet off to release myself (very common with glue traps) and have unbelievable stress? Obviously number one. So that is how I would always treat a mouse.

Remember, when using humane traps the most effective way of capture is to follow where the trails of droppings are, or where you know the mouse 'escapes' to- could be behind the fridge etc. Place the trap here. Be sure to check it every few hours. Also keep food and water in there. When you release the mouse make sure it's far from your house or it may just come back.

PLEASSEEEEEE don't use glue traps.

Brandy- god your situation sounds awful!!! I am not surprised you are moving. I think I might do the same in your situation. I quite like both mice and rats, and have no problems being near them/seeing them/touching them etc.(gloved obviously- stupid not to), but I don't think I could live where there are soooo many and ones that go near my rabbits!!! You need to be in a home that you know is safe and just yours! Lots of mice around could definately mean germs and parasites around.

Jen

They aren't mice, they're fat ugly sewer rats :(
It's bad because we don't want to stay here, but we can't be gone all day because Sparky and Babii are here and we have to watch them.
I was going to bring Babii to my friends, but my friend has bad luck with rabbits (they just.. er, die randomly) but *thank god in a way* her cage doesn't fit in my moms car.
Sparky has to stay here, he has so many medical conditions we have to watch for, and plus.. he's aggressive (because the medical conditions) so no one would properly be able to care for him.
Nothing caught yet, but the exterminator left our front door open for like 2 hours yesterday (and we froze our butts off) and we didn't hear the rat this morning, so we're hoping he ran out.

My goodness!! I saw you mention rats but I didn't realise it was actually rats you were having a problem with because everyone was talking about mice too!!!

Ouchy! This is such an awful situation for you but it sounds like lots of people near you may be having the same problem?

Do you have a room in your house that is totally safe? Like a room that can be completely blocked off with no gaps in the skirting board etc. so when you want to go out the buns could go in there? I know I have a room like that but some places might not.

Jen

We don't :(
The main floor was the only safe place, so we brought Babii up from the basement. But they started walking around down here too.
The only safe place is a bathroom, but then again it's just a matter of time.

Arhhh my goodness!! Poor you! Hope u get it sorted. I have no problem with rats and mice etc. but I wouldn't wanna live with them! Like I wouldn't wanna live with a wild fox marching round my house.....as much as I adore them.

Jen

Actually the sewer rat/brown rat/norway rat/warf rat (they have tons of names) is the same species as a domestic rat. Domestic rats are the tamed descendants of what you have in your house.

^Thats true. the only dif is mice are smaller. Thats sucks and the worst part is is that sewer rats carry more diseases from living in the sewers. I hope you find a house fast. best of luck and lots of prayers :pray:

Crystal

Back