We've got visitors...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also,
I didnt mean for this thread to turn into a 'how to kill animals' or whatever sort of thread,
I just wanted prayers that the whole thing that guy did, worked.
not even sure what to call it lol.

I'm not going to do nothing about these things.. they're eating my stuff, peeing on expensive clothing, no. Plus, Mice bite, and I can't let Sparky get bit by something, he's so little so if they have any disease or something, he'll be affected worse.

I didn't say you had to live with them. I gave various options to get rid of them. Wishing them away is not going to work. Again illness is very rare. You don't need to throw out stuff that gets peed on a little. A run through the wash is more than enough. If they shred some fabric we cut it up and use it as rags to clean saddles or whatever. It's also unlikely any pet is going to get sick. I'd worry more about rodents since the closer related a species is the more likely they will share illnesses but we feed mice to our pets all the time. One year we had a ton of rats invade some oat hay and when we cleared it out one of our dogs killed about 20 of them in one day. Nothing here has ever gotten sick.

I kept a couple field mice as pets for awhile once. As very young mice they got lost during our first snow storm of the year and were huddled in our garage. Since that species of mouse rarely invades homes or causes trouble I had no reason to kill them. I set them up in a cage over winter and they were quite happy. Come spring though they were quite bent on escape and eventually managed it. Their cage was out in the stable at the time so I assume they headed back out to the fields.

Mice and rats are not the dirty creatures people try to make them out to be. I have yet to see a sick mouse or rat (aside from ones dying of poison) and I have yet to see anyone or any pet get sick from them despite them existing around the farm for longer than I've been alive. So long as the population is kept under control illness does not spread. Plus a lot of the illnesses throughout history that were spread by rodents originated from humans and our poor hygiene. Which was then made worse by an over population of rodents.

That brings up another good point. Make sure you aren't leaving out food sources for the critters. Generally when you see several rodents about it's because they have found a food source to multiply with. Locate what they are eating and lock it up somewhere they can't get. Without a food source they will leave on their own. That's just not possible on a farm though where you have all sorts of animal feed.

i have had cats all my life and never had a problem with mice...even dogs will eat them. do not not not use poison...thats why so many big birds like eagles are almost extinct now.

you really dont want them in your house though just for the fact they chew wires and what not. just dont poison. get traps and as horrible as it is kill them. keeps the population down where they dont get diseased.

Actually a way to prevent them, is find the way they are coming in and put steal wool in the hole. (thats only if you can find the hole)

My apartment had mice, and I laid out the kill traps, cause I didn't want my cat to eat the poison. They would just lick off the peanut butter. So my sister researched them, and it said that they don't like to chew on steal wool, so we put it on every hole we found.... and low and behold, no more mice!!!

You can use S.O.S pads, that's what I used.

No clue where they're coming from lol.
I heard pepermint oil (on one of those scented oil burner things) but i'd need like 34354 of them all around the house (basement, upstairs ect) and pepermint oil gets annoying and strong after a while.

Ugh, these mice are driving me crazy! I can hear them running around in my ceiling all day and its especially bad at night.Its like they are fighting with each other or something as they are running and causing quite the commotion up there. I've taken to sleeping upstairs in our guest room as I can't stand hearing them at night, too creepy. We caught 2 more but i'm still hearing them so god know how many more there are.

I wish I knew where they are coming in from this time. Since moving into my room in the basement 10years ago this is the first time I've regretting being down here. I'm so creeped out :(

We have deer mice in the attic crawl space this fall...
I was already to take a butt whooping out on them...then we caught one.

Well crap...it was a younger one...grey on the top white tummy and tail...and her body is no bigger than the tip of my thumb to the first knuckle, tiny little girl! Big black eyes.

So that was the end of that...then I had guilt for even thinking of poison! :(

SO in the end we decided to put aluminum pie plates with rags soaked in fox urine up in the crawl space.
You can buythe urinefor $10 a bottle at hunting stores....and I think someone on another board mentioned LLBean.

Works awesome...no poison! We haven't heardthe pitterpatter of wee feet in a few days now! Before it sounded like waterbuffalo migrating across the ceiling!

Just make sure you put the rags on a pie plate so it doesn't soak into the rafters!
Not something you want up there soaked into the insulation! lol :D

Danielle :)

Runestonez wrote:
Works awesome...no poison! We haven't heardthe pitterpatter of wee feet in a few days now! Before it sounded like waterbuffalo migrating across the ceiling!
I know! I'm amazed that tiny mice and make so much noise.

Thankfully I haven't heard any mice during the last 2 days. I'm going to attempt to sleep in my room again so hopefully all goes well.

I made it through the night ok :p Its been 3 days now since I last heard them :) Now the process begins to find where they are coming in from and plug it up.

I'm going to try and sleep in my room either tonight or tomorrow.. so I have to figure a way to make the mouse traps go off. I was thinking I could go at it with a broom, but I don`t want the trap to go flying and hit me lol.

Why do you have to make the mouse traps go off?

Setting them off isn't to bad. I've done it a few times by accident. They dont' fly up and hit you. At most they flip around but dont' come flying at you. Or you can always just pick them up and unhook the spring. I've done that too. Its easy and if you hold the edges you won't get snapped.

Still no mice noise in my room! been 5 days!

Because they were beside my bed, if I were to get up in the middle of the night, my toes would be kaput.
:)
It hit my foot, I took the handle of the swiffer to it, and I somehow also pushed it closer to myself at the same time.
I'm saaafe :D haha

Ohhh my lord.
I was laying in bed, and I hear my clock move. I yell for my mom, who was in the washroom beside my room .
She tells me i'm just dreaming and to go back to bed. So I lay in bed and I hear it again and run downstairs. So, her trying to prove a point goes upstairs to 'show me there's nothing'. It was sitting there waiting for her on the window ledge.
So I sit on the Chaise and turn on the news, as it was only 6:30 AM.
Then (with the stairs in front of me) I see a little blur of black (it was dark) run down the stairs, and under the couch. Great, I have the biggest fear of these things. Twice, they woke me up, and twice, I screamed for my life.

So my mom goes to move the couch, and the front of the couch is directly to my left, on the other side of the fireplace (like, to my shoulder) and when she moved it, 'blur' ran from under the couch and under my chaise and into the kitchen. I swear on everything I thought it was going to jump on me.
I can't handle this crap. I have a PHOBIA of these things, and every where I thought it was 'safe' it seems not.
We put the baby-gate to trap the mouse in there, then leaned a mirror on it so it doesn't come out through the holes.
Then we put a heavy piece of wood so it doesn't fall over.

So it's in there, but.. we don't know what to do.

:( im like crying and shaking .

Wow, that's crazy.

You guys might have to hire somebody to come out and get rid of them.

I know alot of people don't like poison but you might have to use it, you shouldn't be feeling scared in your own home, these mice are now affecting your life.

or you could get a few cats ;)

We have hired exterminators, and they put traps in the city sewers that are actually pretty far from my house, and they put some traps in our basement but they aren't allowed to do anything more because we have a dog, and if he were to get trapped or get sick from poison we could legally sue them .

There is ways to use traps in the house with a dog around and the exterminator should have them. Its like a plastic box that has holes in the sides so the mice and get in but the dog can't get at the trap. Depending on the dog you can even use shoe boxes.

I have a dog and I use traps. Most of them I put in areas he can't reach(behind things, in closets) and if I need to i've use the shoe box things before. Thankfully my problem seems to be under control now but we still catch the odd mouse in my ceiling. Atleast now I can sleep without hearing mice run around in my ceiling or chewing in the walls. Ewww

It sounds like your problem needs a full on attack. Put any food item(all the stuff in your cupboards/pantry) into a plastic containers so the mice dont' have a food source. Then put traps ALL around, on every wall(mice run mostly against the walls) and check them daily. Your problem isn't going to go away unless you do something.Its probably going to get a bit worse once winter sets in and mice all move in from the cold, atleast that what happens at my house.

Oh my.. haha
We got it caught in the front entrance, between 2 doors. (theres a door between the front entrance/closet and the living room) and put a towel at the base of the door and a trap inside.
This morning we woke up and looked inside. He wasn't in the trap, but under the heater (which is off.. I think). He pulled the thread in something, because theres black/grey thread AROUND the trap.
So then we get a knock on the door this morning, and we're both scared to go into there, to open the door. So we open the door, and guess who it was? Mr. Pest Control :D

He didn't get it, but he told us to put glue traps, and when it catches one to put olive oil on it, and WEAR COOKING MITTS and take 'er off and set it free.. far away from the house.

Back