Wabbitdads Wabbit Herd 2008

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lily sounds adorable! It sounds like a faithful dog with a little too much faithful LOL!

Bo used to try to walk with me/between my feet. I accidentally sort of kicked him one day cause he came flying up and I didn't see him. Now, he stays clear unless I am standing still LOL!

Today we went to aFlemish Specialty and All Breedshow in Columbia City, Indiana and there was some really great Flemish there!

Velvet the blue doe won Best of Variety.

Lilly the light gray doe won BestOpposite of Show and Best of Variety.

Barney the steel buck came in 4th because of a molt he started this past week.

Sweetie the black doe came in 3rd, compared to the other black does there she looked small! The other exhibitors must be putting miracle grow in there Flemmies water bottles!;)

The open all breed show for the Flemish was very disappointing. The judge for the Flemish open show was taking several business calls and while he was on the phone rushed through the youth portion of the Flemish, disqualifying 4 out 5 in less then a minute. The writers could not even ask him for comments because he was on the phone telling one of his employees about deliveries etc. The ones he disqualified were rabbits that placed well in the Flemish speciality show earlier.

Sweetie, Barney and Velvet were disqualified in the open show. Lilly who had won Best of Show and Best of Variety in the specialty show took 3rd in the open. This judge normally judges the smaller breeds and the organizers had to do some reshuffling because he was two hours late and so they had to move him to judge the Flemish.

This was the first time I was upset about a judge. I spoke of my concerns to the secretary of the show only because he was spending so much time on the phone when he was suppose to be judging and because of the vast discrepancies between what the other exhibitorsand I had received in theFlemish speciality earlier and the Flemish open show. If there had not been such a huge difference and had the judge not been on the phone I wouldn't havebeen upset.

Still the family had a great time and we were able to get together with some old neighbors/close friendsin Fort Wayne before we came home. It was one long day though, we left our house at 5:45 am and didn't get home until 9:00 pm.Friday night was family fun night at my daughters school, so when that was done we came home and got things ready for the rabbit show, Igot to bed around midnight and was up at 4:45 am Saturday.

We were done with the show around 1pm Saturday, but we then drove to our old neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana and took a look at how things had changed since we moved and later went out to eat with our friends and one of their daughters (who use to baby sit our kids, talk about feeling old) and her 3 little boys.

What a day, I would be in bed now, but I drank a lot of caffeine earlier and I feel tired but not sleepy. Time for a hot bath and bed.

I forgot some very important news! A new bunny has joined the herd.

At the rabbit show this weekend, we came home with a blue Flemish buck. The family that we got him had wanted a doe and went to show her last month and the judge disqualified her. She turned out to be a he!. The breeder they bought him from thought he was a girl also.

So they had him up for sale and he is the cutest bunny. Thumper (my daughter got to name him) is about 6-7 months old and is very curious and hungry.

I will post some pictures of him tomorrow.

You have a wonderful herd of bunnies:inlove: I can't wait till you have babies around. Is that happening any time soon? I might be tempted to come and steal one:whistling

I think Thumper is going to like joining the herd. He is happy I think to be inside, he's getting pellets, oats and greens and banana chips at night.

He's been doing "dead bunny" flops quite often since Saturday.

I also think he likes having so many does around him too!;)

We have been trying to get our blue doe pregnant, but no luck so far. Now tha we have a blue buck, we may try him in April.

I had to pass up a rabbit show this past weekend because of a bad cold/flu going around. Still feel like death warmed over. I was reallylooking forward to this one because it was so close. Oh well there is one in April so I will just have to hope I am not still sick then.

Poor buns, I feel so bad, when its all I can do is to feed them and fill their water bottles.

Maybe that is a good thing other wise you would have come home with another bun.

On Sunday the 23rd, I discovered an abscess on our new flemmie's, Thumper,left hind foot. I saw a little red bump on his foot when I had him on his back to trance him and when it was squeezed just a little it popped and puss oozed out. My wife cleaned it out and he's getting antibiotics too.

The wound has healed up nicely and I haven't noticed any other ouchies on his feet. He has been a real good boy about taking his medicine too, although he bit the end off of the plastic syringe the other day and we had to get another from the vet. I can't remember the name of the med off the top of my head, but its grape flavored. We had to get it from CVS drug store. The pharmacy tech asked me "Is this really for a rabbit?" Yes, he's a big rabbit, no lady I really named my kid Thumper!:disgust:

"No lady, I named my kid Thumper." :humour:
You never know, with the names Celebrities choose these days...
Well I'm glad Thumper's doing better.
What antibiotic was it?

Last night while watching a show about dumb criminals on TruTV, Thumper was out exploring the living room. He was having a great time too, did straight up binkies, sideways binkies and super speed binkies.

Checked his foot that had the abscess on it and it is completely healed!:)

Barney who had the snuffles, hasn't sneezed for a whole day and seems to be back to his happy self. Last night he hopped up on the couch and when it was time for him to go to bed, made no moves towards the bunny room. I couldn't even bribe him with a banana chip!

This morning Lilly and I made the rounds to all the bunnies for food and water. She likes to be right at my feet the whole time. Gives me bunny kisses and I give her some lovin, sort of our thing in the mornings.

A new first for me last night. Performed bunny dentistry and clippled the teeth of Sweetie the black Flemish Giant. Discovered her teeth were curled, so I bought some brand new wire cutters/diagnal pliers yesterday afternoon and took care of the problem.

She was a really good girl about it. I was dreading it a lot:(, but when she wasn't upset about it, made me feel much better. Another experience to chalk up in being a bunny slave.

My sister used to clip her chinchilla that way. Do you think her back teeth are bad too tho? That's what always made me wonder if it worked.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
A new first for me last night. Performed bunny dentistry and clippled the teeth of Sweetie the black Flemish Giant. Discovered her teeth were curled, so I bought some brand new wire cutters/diagnal pliers yesterday afternoon and took care of the problem.

She was a really good girl about it. I was dreading it a lot:(, but when she wasn't upset about it, made me feel much better. Another experience to chalk up in being a bunny slave.

No babies yet, if Velvet (blue flemish doe) doesn't become preggie this time, I am going to try her with Mr. Thumper (blue buck). If she is pregnant she will be due in about 2 weeks. I really would like to see her have babies with Barney (steel buck) because the color combinations would be really interesting.

Last night, Mr. Smores, a brown and white dutch buck, didn't look right when I went in to clean cages. He was moving really clumsily in he's cage so I brought him out to the living room to let him hop around.

He couldn't keep his balance, it looked like his right hip wasn't moving well. I thought he had hurt himself in his cage jumping from level to level, but when I put him back in, he was stumbling when he went into his cardboard box hideout.

My wife and I both checked his ears and his body for any signs of injury or illness but could not find any thing. We have some antibiotics from Barney's recent bout with the snuffles and gave him a dose last night and this morning. I am thinking it might be an inner ear infection, I hope he shows improvement soon.

The poor guy has hadquite a life so far. When we brought him home he was chased by another of our buns and nipped on his left hind leg. Later that summer he had fly strike, wasbeing called sheuntil suddenly his boys came downand during the winter had the snuffles. He has quite a personality and is so much fun to watch him explore.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
My sister used to clip her chinchilla that way. Do you think her back teeth are bad too tho? That's what always made me wonder if it worked.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:

I will take a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Well Mr. Smores is showing signs of improvement, he is eating a little better and has shown more interest in banana chips. Still wobbly though but I hope this continues to diminish.

I have also received information that Lilly has won a leg!after only one show.:) This is pretty exciting news!

Latest posts

Back