URGENT RESCUE: Columbus, OH

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from Jessica:

Well, I have a new addition.... Rilo, one of the REW males (the one in the second picture of the REWS...and the one on the right in the following pic). Those poor bunnies....they seem to be in good condition - the girl said they were 5lbs when she got them (I don't know how old they are....she's had them for 4mo....they're about 9lbs now...does that math add up?). But I didn't see any hay in the little shed they're in and those cages are TINY. Seriously....when the rabbits are laying in the width of it, they can't stretch out all the way. I'm guessing they probably measure 12"x15".

Unfortunately, she didn't seem too keen on the idea of waiving her fee in order to get some of them into a rescue..... BUT, she did say that she hopes she's able to find homes for them all soon because with winter approaching, she's worried about their waters freezing....and they're really expensive to feed. So she'd keep my e-mail address and get in touch with me if she gets in a pinch. :-/

So...not exactly ideal, but....I don't really know what else to do. :(

On one of Rilo's back feet, you can see where something had nibbled his toes. I haven't gotten a very close look at it because he's a little stressed right now and I want to give him some time to calm down, but tomorrow I'll be able to say a little more about him.

He is a BIG bunny though, that's for sure. Makes Lucy look pretty puny. ;)

Hello all! I'm Jessica (aka "Jazzaroosky" from LL)....thanks so much, Patti and Jennifer, for relaying updates on the situation over here.....lol, I guess I had registered on this site a couple years ago and forgot!

But anyway, as has already been said, the lady did not seem too crazy about the idea to waive the fee for these bunnies to get them into a rescue or foster situation (or just a better situation in general....). Patti, though, had a good idea that she posted on LL. If she absolutely cannot be persuaded to drop the fee she's asking altogether, maybe she can be persuaded to sell the rest of these bunnies for a lump sum of, say $100 or $150. I know I would be happy to pitch in $25 or so (I'm a college student....and have 2 bunnies and 2 dogs of my own to care for, or else I'd throw in more) to help out.....as well as help in transporting some of the rabbits. I could go within 4-5hrs in any direction of Columbus, OH.

Would anyone be interested in doing something like this to get the remaining 7 bunnies out? I'm racking my brain trying to come up with other options.... I just hate that they're in those tiny cages with TERRIBLE flooring, no toys, no hay....and I don't even want to think about them becoming dinner for someone. :(

I brought home one of the REW males yesterday....he's settling in quite nicely. At first I was worried about how he'll get along with my dogs...he seemed pretty afraid, but I think he's realizing that they're not going to bother him any because he's calmed down considerably. :)

There are still 7 (2 males, I believe...5 females) in need of new homes...

Leaf wrote:
Have any of them made their way home yet? I hope it happens soon. Poor babies!

I just got a pm back from Julie, she's in Washington visiting family this week. When she gets back she'll be able to work out details, but it sounds like there is a family or two available to foster for her. If the black male isn't claimed yet, she'd be interested in him in particular (not sure if one of her previous adopters has been looking for one but she mentioned bonding it to one of the silver street girls).

Again, she can't work out anything definite until she gets back.

I sent her this e-mail:

"Hi Kaylene,

First of all, let me say that my new bunny (who I've named Rilo) is doing great! He seems to be settling in nicely.

I was curious to know if you would be interested in negotiating a price for the remaining rabbits so that they may be placed in foster and permanent homes? I completely understand why you would not want to simply give them away for free, since you have spent quite a bit of money on them as it is. But would you maybe consider selling the rest for $125?

I would just hate to see these bunnies become someone's dinner...and would also love for them to have bigger cages. Plus, they would be out of your hair. :)

Let me know what you think!"

I'll be sure to update you all on the response.

ALSO - what are the odds that there is someone who would be able to meet me in Indianapolis or Terre Haute, IN to transport a couple of these babies to MO?

The black male is not claimed as of yet. :) I wouldn't want to pass up a home if one came along before she is able to get back...but if no one is able to take him before then, I will try to remember there is someone interested in him.

naturestee wrote:
I just got a pm back from Julie, she's in Washington visiting family this week. When she gets back she'll be able to work out details, but it sounds like there is a family or two available to foster for her. If the black male isn't claimed yet, she'd be interested in him in particular (not sure if one of her previous adopters has been looking for one but she mentioned bonding it to one of the silver street girls).

Again, she can't work out anything definite until she gets back.

I can get them to Indianapolis, no problem. I can also provide short term housing (althoughI do like the looks of the black girls), and if need or interest, I can get them a quick look over with my vet. Let me know.

Awesome! We could work on getting three of the females to MO (I currently only have one carrier (that can carry two), but I think my parents have another at their house that I can borrow to bring another two or maybe even three along) and I could bring possibly two or three more to be fostered until a permanent home can be found.

How many would you be able to take?

They appear to be in good condition, other than some of their toes - but those have healed up completely, as far as I am aware. So a vet visit would be entirely at your discretion.

stargazerLily wrote:
I can get them to Indianapolis, no problem. I can also provide short term housing (althoughI do like the looks of the black girls), and if need or interest, I can get them a quick look over with my vet. Let me know.

Oh yes, if someone wants to adopt him that would be first choice. The black male was just a preference but if Julie can arrange a foster home she said she would take any that need help.

Jazzaroosky wrote:
The black male is not claimed as of yet. :) I wouldn't want to pass up a home if one came along before she is able to get back...but if no one is able to take him before then, I will try to remember there is someone interested in him.

Leaf, are you still interested in taking in one or two? It looks like we can get them out to you if its still an option...

Haley wrote:
Leaf, are you still interested in taking in one or two? It looks like we can get them out to you if its still an option...

Absolutely! I'm the one Jazzarooskyis referring to in this thread, actually!
:group2:

Cross-posted from LL:

Here is what a tentative transport list would look like. I dont know how far the adopter could go, so this could be modified. I'm familiar with IL so Effingham is an actual "bigger" city in that part of the state. Greenville is not, however there really isnt anything bigger anywhere near there. I'm not familiar with MO at all, so I dont know if these are totally off the wall cities or not. Maybe the adopter could look at them and help tweak it? I can help cross post this all over the place if the Missouri person does want the rabbits and does want us to help arrange transport. This weekend would be a bit lofty of a goal though, so I would aim for next weekend.

Columbus, OH to Indianapolis – Terre Haute, IN area
FILLED by Jessica

Indianapolis – Terre Haute, IN area to Effingham, IL area
(68 miles from Terre Haute, IN to Effingham, IL)
Time change from EST to CST
NEEDED

Effingham, IL to Greenville IL area [anywhere along I-70]
(53 miles)
NEEDED

Greenville, IL to St. Louis, MO
(52 miles)
NEEDED

St Louis, MO to Sullivan, MO
(68 miles)
NEEDED

Sullivan, MO to Waynesville, MO
(69 miles)
NEEDED

Waynesville, MO to Springfield, MO
(83 miles)

slavetoabunny wrote:
Cross-posted from LL:

Here is what a tentative transport list would look like. I dont know how far the adopter could go, so this could be modified. I'm familiar with IL so Effingham is an actual "bigger" city in that part of the state. Greenville is not, however there really isnt anything bigger anywhere near there. I'm not familiar with MO at all, so I dont know if these are totally off the wall cities or not. Maybe the adopter could look at them and help tweak it? I can help cross post this all over the place if the Missouri person does want the rabbits and does want us to help arrange transport. This weekend would be a bit lofty of a goal though, so I would aim for next weekend.

FILLED by Jessica

NEEDED

(53 miles)
NEEDED

(52 miles)
NEEDED

St Louis, MO to Sullivan, MO
(68 miles)
NEEDED

Sullivan, MO to Waynesville, MO
(69 miles)
NEEDED

Waynesville, MO to Springfield, MO
(83 miles)

I'll be coming from Rolla, where I'll be for the weekend, and into next weekend, but I can pick up in Union, Mo. That would shorten it to:

FILLED by Jessica

NEEDED

(53 miles)
NEEDED

(52 miles)
NEEDED

St Louis, MO to Union, MO
(51 miles)
NEEDED

What I'm doing now settling into a house in Union, while turning the house in Rolla into a rental. I just sold some property in Springfield, so I'm out of that area and between the two in Rolla and Union.

I can travel almost any time at this point, so I can be very accessable for the transport. Union will cut down a lot of travel time for anyone so hopefully that will help out.

This weekend I can be in Union and next Friday and most of Saturday as well. If I have to I can go back on Sunday as well. I'm off work until this coming Tuesday night, which opens up a lot of time for me - but not necessarily for people willing to transport.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

The lady is willing to agree on $140 for the remaining 7 rabbits. I have a Paypal account and if someone could help me figure it out, we could arrange for donations to get these bunnies out to be sent to that, then I will write a personal check to give to the lady. I haven't used my Paypal account much, so I'm not sure how it works exactly....

As far as the rescue train goes, "stargazerlily" has said that she can pick up in Dayton, OH - which would be great for me, as my car is not the most reliable thing...and while I'm willing to chance it clear to IN, if there's someone who's able to pick up closer to me, that would be GREAT....lol.

And "Bo B Bunny" has said they can help transport west of Indianapolis.

Please let me know if plans have changed at all since your posts. I'm hoping we can get this put together by tomorrow or Sunday. :)

Latest posts

Back