URGENT RESCUE: Columbus, OH

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
Cross-posted from LL. If anyone can help, I'll put you in touch with the girl that is trying to help these bunnies:

I always casually look at the pet forum on Craigslist....well, there was a posting from someone who rescued 8 New Zealand buns from their neighbor. This was the ad:

hello, i have 8 new zealand purebreed rabbits up for adoption, they were in cages up from the ground at my neighbor's house and a animal got their toes, they were going to shoot them so i said i would doctor them up, 4 months later and you wouldn't even know that happend to them, they were show rabbits and meat rabbits, they could still be used as meat rabbits but i don't really know anyone that butchers them, and would rather they be someone's pets, they have been handles, since they were show rabbits but not as much since i have had them, their are 1 black male, 2 white males, 2 black females and 3 white females, they are about 9 lbs, i can take pictures if needed, i am asking a 25 dollar fee for each just to cover food and bandages, they will come with a baggie of food if wanted.

I e-mailed to learn more....and to see some pics....which, here is what she sent:

yjsd5.jpg

2lcmohh.jpg

eak3na.jpg

2u581eu.jpg

w8bade.jpg

I'm going to e-mail the Columbus HRS and the Buckeye HRS as well as the rescue group I've been working with recently to see if there is anyone who could foster some of these babies. I am going out to see them on Wednesday....and more than likely will be bringing one of the males home.

I would just really hate to see them become someone's dinner.....and the cages they are in are ENTIRELY too small.

So if anyone out there is looking to adopt another bunny.....please let me know and I will do whatever I can, including traveling to meet you or someone else if a train can be organized.

Thanks guys. :)

The girl that is trying to help these buns says that she would be willing to help transport. She is also working with the women trying to waive the adoption fee. Maybe she could at least get it reduced.

naturestee wrote:
So these guys are in Ohio? Leaf, if you really want one (or more!) we might be able to organize a bunny train to get them to you.

I can definantly take one in, and if really needed, two. I'd be more than happy to help out. This weekend I'll be working in Rolla, Mo but I'll be able to travel some if necessary - I can make sure of that.

wow Im just seeing this and my heart is breaking for them. Look how small those cages are and with nothing to rest on. But at least theyre alive- for now.

I'll have time tomorrow to look at the map on transports. Leaf, you would really take one or two if we could get them to you? Its only 6 hours between Columbus and St Louis and I bet we could find helping coming through Indianapolis.

I might be able to help with the adoption fee if she wont waive it.

This just breaks my heart.

These guys are actually in East Liberty, Ohio, which is about an hour northwest of Columbus.

I *may* be able to help with transport if anyone from East Liberty to Ann Arbor would like one of these guys. I'm planning on going down to Ohio this Thursday and coming back up to Michigan either Friday or Saturday.

I wonder if maybe Midwest would take one or two? Are you for sure going down there Jennifer? Let me know and I'll check into it.

Haley -- Yes, I'm definitely going down to Ohio tomorrow (Thursday). I only have one pet carrier, which is why I offered to transport one bunny, but I could potentially transport more, given more resources. Let me know what you and Dominique think. Do you still have my cell phone number? I'm going to bebusy tonight -- my husband is flying in from New Orleans and I have to pick him up at the airport. We have tickets to the Michigan homecoming game this Saturday and we have yet to make it to a game this season, so I'd like to come back up to Michigan Friday. I'll be checking this thread often.

I have class tonight and I forgot to ask Dominique about this when I spoke to her earlier. I did PM Patti and gave her midwest's contact info so that whoever is in touch with this lady could email her to see what she thinks..

I know theyre pretty full right now but Im taking 3 to Chicago with me so I thought maybe theyd have room for at least one more.

Edit: I just emailed Dominique right now so I'll let you know what she thinks..

Yeah Im taking Zorra and Simba (a lionhead/rex pair) and Nicollete to their new home. It worked out great since Im going to a wedding anyway.

I just heard from Dominique though and theyre just too full to help with this one. Hopefully someone closer can help out :-(

Haley wrote:
Yeah Im taking Zorra and Simba (a lionhead/rex pair) and Nicollete to their new home. It worked out great since Im going to a wedding anyway.

I just heard from Dominique though and theyre just too full to help with this one. Hopefully someone closer can help out :-(
Aww, I saw those guys on Petfinder last night! They're adorable! Lucky owners! ;)

Yeah, I was afraid of that. :( I completely understand though. I'm still willing to transport one of these New Zealands, if someone is interested in adopting one of these guys.

I'll pm Treasured Friend (Julie from Soulmate Rabbit Rescue). I don't know if there's any room available but I heard from her that the dutch boy from Chicago has an adoption hold on him, maybe his foster home can take one of these guys on?

FYI for anyone in my area, I have tons of extra NIC panels if you want to make room for a foster/rescue bun any time!

Edit: Has anyone heard anything from rescues in the Ohio area?

Me again, haha.
4rdc36.gif

Jessica is the person who brought this bunch to our attention over on LL. Patti got her permission to post her email address as contact info, but I don't see it on here. You can contact Jessica at [email protected]. I just sent her an email asking if she's heard from other Ohio rescues.

She just updated this on LL:
"I'm on my way out tonight to see the bunnies and bring one of the males home....it looks like Jennifer may be getting one [NOT the case unless someone commits to adopting one and contacts me]....and I have someone in Missouri who saw the post on RO who is offering to take two, maybe three. And if this lady is willing to waive the fee she's asking, I'm going to try to place two with the Capital Area Humane Society.....which means there would only be two left to find forever/foster homes for...."

OK, now I really need to stop messing around and clean the kiddos' litterpans before I have to go pick up DH! :p

I live about 90 minutes west of Columbus, but I can help transport to the Indianapolis area if needed. I might be able to temporarily house one as well, I have the extra NIC panels, and the room. Not sure about being able to adopt right at this moment though. Let me know if I can help.

I'm directly North of Indianapolis - I could catch them here and take them a little further West maybe - my van is not likely to make a long trip but I can try to do whatever.....

Back