UPDATE motherless babies... at my house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh HOn don't blame yourself. Honestly there are many things I have blamed myself for in teh past with the rabbits and they have been fine. Sun is a good example when she fell and broke her back leg. Or Bruce's first bun Ami when a dog got into the garden and took him out of his run. I heard the squealing went outand the dog ran off. The dog didn't peirce Ami's head but had a hold of him round it. He lived a good life but you couldn't take pics with a flash because it would make him fit. Other than that (and the fact he hated dogs) he lived a happy life.

Crossing my fingers for her x

As soon as I woke up I went and prodded her out of her sleep spot, she went to eat hay and the critical care I gave her, then took a drink. She then went back to her sleep spot, pushed around the new papertowels I put in her absense until they made a bowl again, cleaned herself, and laid down again. She obviously is uncomfortable because of her slow, diliberate movements and she squints hers eyes alot when she is resting, but since she still being a bunny (she is working through the pain of her headache and bad gut very well) I am calling the vet this am and telling them the reaper can't have her yet. I'll have to get some more pain meds for her to last us the weekend. Hopefully they will give us more than one dose. The pain med I guess is a highly controled substance so most vets bawk at letting owners take even one dose home.

:clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover:

I got up from the computer to check on her and found her begging at the bars for out. So I brought her to her play area and let her run for a few minutes ( I didn't want to let her run too long with all that has happened and right now is diarehea time. Its the same time every morning and I would rather she did it on the newspaper in her cage than the rug.) She was her normal self, running, flicking her head, and exploring. Now she is in her cage, ignoring the grass next to her and eating the papertowel that is her bed.

Oh I'm so happy to hear this. The 2 of you are doing such a great job, this world needs more people like you.

Go Dora Go.:bunnydance::bunny18:weee::bunny19:rabbithop:bunnybutt::happyrabbit:

Susan

Pipp wrote:
:clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover: :pray: :clover:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mr. Stee wrote:
I got up from the computer to check on her and found her begging at the bars for out. So I brought her to her play area and let her run for a few minutes ( I didn't want to let her run too long with all that has happened and right now is diarehea time. Its the same time every morning and I would rather she did it on the newspaper in her cage than the rug.) She was her normal self, running, flicking her head, and exploring. Now she is in her cage, ignoring the grass next to her and eating the papertowel that is her bed.
YAY!! That's brilliant news! I just hope she keeps improving.... :clover:

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this - sounds like she is beginning to get some of her attitude back. This little girl is such a fighter - I am sure she'll come through.

Did she still have diarhea this morning? Any more siezures?

Still keeping the prayers/good wishes coming

Jan

No seizures that we've seen. She's still very gassy and it's hard to tell how much of her discomfort is from her gas or her injury. The vet gave us pain meds for the rest of the weekend, twice a day. She's on Butorphanol aka "torbugesic" which is apparently often used for small animals for post-op or accident-related pain. Wikipedia article in case anybody is interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butorphanol

She does still get diarrhea in the mornings and also had a very bad bout last night. But she's still eating pretty well, especially if we harass her a little. I think she just gets too drowsy to notice that she's a little hungry. Magic carpet ride, ya know?

Her owner came over to visit for the first time today. James made a comment about looking for another friend for Fey (which we are). We had also explained yesterday that we're prepared to care for her for the rest of her life if she has special needs. She could have issues with the head trauma, we're also concerned about all the heavy meds she's been on as several can have strong effects on the liver and kidneys. When she's off meds and big enough I'm going to have her liver and kidney values checked just in case. I'm not going to try any cheap shots to keep her, but since he does have serious money issues it could come down to whether he can afford her or not.

I guess all you can really do is put the facts out there and let the people know the all of the options as well as medical/care costs ....

myheart

James and Angela, with all that you've done for Dora (and her sib Girr, RIP) already, I would hope the owner knows you are 2 of the most wonderful caring bunny parents. Not hesitating to get help when soulmates and innocent creatures need vet care! My thoughts are with you and Dora for continued improvement.

Awesome Bunny Foster Parents you are !!!!:brownbunny:hug:

:hearts

Very little diarrhea this morning. We're wondering if it's because she hadn't had fresh grass for a while as she apparently ate her whole pile right away last night. So for now we're withholding fresh grass to see if that makes a difference. Also, she didn't seem to be in as much pain when the meds wore off than she had been. So for now we're just letting her go without them and keeping a close eye on her. She's more alert and active when she's not pumped full of opiates so it would be nice if we could skip them. So far it's been almost 14 hours since her last dose (usually given every 12) and she's doing pretty good. She used to start showing pain effects around 10-11 hours after a dose.

Oh, and she was doing binkies all over the couch last night.:p

Back