UPDATE motherless babies... at my house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I killed her.

She just got handed back to me at the vet, in her carrier. I opened it up to check on her, a dog barked, she freaked and fell to the floor, slipped right through my hands. She's hurt but they're not sure how bad yet.

But the way she looked... I'm naseous.

Bad news. She has head trauma, had one seizure so far from it. The vet thinks there's probably a hematoma (bruise) in the brain that will get worse (swell more) before there's even a chance of getting better. There's a slight chance she could make it but it's so small...

She's recommending not putting Dora through it. I need to talk to James first. I can't believe I did this to her.

Oh no..... I don't know what to say.... I'm so sorry..... :tears2:

Please don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault. It was just a terrible accident.... :hug:

I am so sorry ....

I know I would feel the same way, but please don't blame yourself. It was an accident. She was never really exposed to such noises enough to not be afraid. Others need to keep their pets under control better in public places.

Sending prayer of healing for you and Dora.

:pray:

myheart

naturestee wrote:
I can't believe I did this to her.

You didn't. Don't think that for an instant longer! Sometimes life.. has a way of happening.

((hugs))

We decided to wait and see how the next 20 hours work out. We believe that if she has a chance at a decent life, then we don't want to deny it from her just because of 2 days of the worst headache you can have. As we see it, though the headache will be bad, it will pass and that isn't enough of a reason to put her down. The deciding factor will come from if she will have any permanent damage to mind or body in a way that makes her life miserable. And that can't be decided yet because we won't be able to see lasting damage in the first hour or two. We call the vet tomorrow morning for a more permanent decision. Tonight she gets her normal meds for her previous problem (gut motility and anti biotics) and a VERY heavy pain med.

Since we brought her home she she ate some grass and alfalfa, pooped and peed, nosed around the hay a little more, then went to lay down in her warm spot. She grinds her teeth some, but that is to be expected. After all, she is going to have a huge headache for the next day or two. I'll keep updates with any changes.

Honestly, right now that sounds very positive. As little as she is, if the trauma was extremely severe - she probably wouldn't still be.

And as for her falling, if it's ever any consolation, if there's a right time, I can tell about a situation I was involved in with a very small breed puppy. By far, this isn't an isolated incident.

Sometimes situations happen - despite anything and everything.

Hope it's just a temporary set back and she will recover.
Even with our best intentions to be so careful, accidents happen. Dora won't give up that easy. :pray:

Please do not give up on her....

I haven't shared this story with many people - but we once had a baby that we called "Spidey" for Spiderman because he climbed everywhere....it always looked so strange to see him climbing up the gate to get out of the rabbitry.

One day I accidentally stepped on a rabbit (not with all my weight - but quite a bit of it). I'd stepped on his head.....before I turned around to see who it was I was praying, "please God...not Spidey....anyone but Spidey".

It was him. He had blood coming out of his nose and a bit from his eyes if I remember right....it was about 10:05 pm at night...no vet open...Art was on his way home from work.

Art got home from work to find me bawling - that we had to "put Spidey down" - that I wasn't going to let him suffer.

Art convinced me to give Spidey time and see if he recovered....and he did. He was never quite the same personality wise - he wasn't the daredevil he'd been before...but he lived here for another year or so before he was finally adopted.....

So don't give up on her - they are sometimes stronger than we think....

She may not be as sick as she originally looked...........

if she is eating pooping and peeing that is a good sign

So Sorry for both of you Angela and James

you've been so amazingly wonderful as bunny mom surrogates.
:pray::pray::pray:Come on little Dora!!!!

She is still doing her bunny stuff. Just a bit wobbly and tired seeming at times, but she is pretty doped up on pain meds. We are thinking that there is no reason to give up on her. Unless something wierd pops up, we are figuring on fighting it out with her.

Oh no! So shocking and scary! I'm so sorry that she and you had that bad luck. Accidents happen, and don't blame yourself at all. I'll be thinking of you this weekend, and hoping little Dora pulls through all right!:pray:

OMG, my heart goes out to you. What an awful accident - but that is what it was - an accident.

Things sound pretty positive if she is eating and pooping. Hopefully, once the headache has gone, she will continue on her road to recovery. I am so glad you aren't giving up on her - you all have come this far.

praying for you all

Jan

It sounds good that she's eating and stuff so far... I'm glad you guys decided to give her at least a chance. She is getting absolutely the best care with you!! Please please don't blame yourself Angela.... I'll be thinking of you guys and little Dora all weekend and hoping she improves.... xx

Back