UPDATE motherless babies... at my house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is too loveable for my own good! I am such a nervous wreck as soon as I am away from her, wondering if she is starting to get sick again while I'm not there. I cross my fingers and get filled with anxiety as I get home and enter her room. Then I find her ok and scoop her up to carry her around, as much to ease my anxiety as too comfort her. She just sits contentedly in my hand and tooth purrs the hours away. I am getting good at doing things one handed, in fact I just typed this with only one hand in the matter of minutes.

Yes, she is a spoiled snuggle bun. When I went home to feed her on my lunch break she even presented herself for petting like an adult bun!

She will be the world's most spoiled rabbit if she pulls through. Her owners had better spoil her too or they'll hear from me!

Speaking of which, James did you call the guy and give him an update today?

Update. Doing good. Is eating and loves the mixture of milk and critical care that is her main food right now. We decided to mix the two and slowly decrease the amount of milk in it over time as our way of weening her from the milk. Also loves her wide bladed grass too. Very active during play time and begs in the cage for attention when left alone too long. Owners may be coming over to see her this weekend depending on work schedules.

She's good at the moment. We had another scare this morning as she had a bout of icky sticky poops, but she's back to normal now.

We're working on weaning her per Dr. Travis' advice as he said handfeeding them milk for too long can make them have diarrhea so it's best to wean young. She's getting Critical Care mixed with a little milk several times a day, plus lots of grass and alfalfa hay and fresh grass. We're starting to offer fresh clover too. I wish she would eat more pellets but maybe they're hard to eat because she's so little.

We have a ton of pictures and video but haven't had time to upload them yet.

Update:
Dora has another bout of direaha. We took her to the vet and they checked her stool and are having us give antibiotics for three days and anti-coccedia for ten. She is eating really well still, drinking some, and moving around, but you can tell she is uncomfortable sometimes. We'll have to see what happens.

Antibiotic is Metronidazole 250 mg tab in suspension

anti-coccedia isSulfadimethoxine 125mg tab in suspension.

She loves the taste of the meds.

Edit: She had normal poop. just now

Ok, the antibiotic's trade name is Flagyl which is pretty commonly used. It mainly treats anaerobic bacteria incuding Clostridium,a dangerous one common to upset rabbit intestines. Which are rod-shaped, which is what Dr. Bixler said she saw in the fecal smear.

Hopefully the toxins from Clostridium haven't had time to build up much, especially with the diarrhea moving stuff out quickly.

The other drug is the standard Coccidea treatment.

Came home quick to see her between clients. She has a lot of close to normal poop fresh in the cage. All semi-firm and not sticky. She ate a lot more grass since you left and is chowing down on critical care/milk mix right now (she won't eat just critical care right now, but as soon as I mixed a trace of milk into it, yum!) Was also begging to get out like normal, but I have to go soon so she will have to be disappionted for now.

Edit: by the way, I just had critical care arc in the microwave. Does anyone know why it did that?

Aw, no love for Dora?:(

She was back in at the vet's today. She had a very gassy tummy and needed more antibiotics and some sub-q fluids. The diarrhea is slowly getting better. It's only for a few hours every morning and she usually feels pretty cruddy then. The vet said it was because that's when her cecum is pushing everything out and that's probably where the worst of the coccidea and bacterial problems are.

For good news, she's completely off milk and is eating a fair bit of pellets on her own as well as a ton of fresh grass and hay.

We love Dora! Just no news in a while, and I had no response to MrStee's question. Although I have heard that Nutella can arc in the microwave. Glad she's doing well and you're taking such good care of her. Any news on whether she'll go back to the original owners or not?

Good to hear she is eating hay and pellets and off milk - maybe that will help the diarrhea problem. You both have done such an awesome job with her.

Dora really is a fighter. Is she also a 'keeper' ? ;)
Oh, and any new pics?

Jan

Hopefully I'll get some pics up this weekend. We have a bunch of pics and video but just haven't had the time to get them uploaded. Of course, I've promised to post pics before...:?

I'm trying to think up excuses to keep her, but I'm not counting on her surviving yet. The bacteria that is infecting her gut produces nasty toxins, plus the coccidia, and it's possible for the coccidia to also affect her liver (andthe antibiotics could too). I do worry that she'll be a fragile bun all her life because of all the tummy problems early in life, and obviously the owners don't pay much attention because the babies had to have been born before they left for vacation.

I'll probably push to keep her more if she's actually a girl, as then she'd be easier to bond with Fey and Oberon.

LOL, James are you reading this?:p

Even though you are kept very busy, little Dora or Jazzy or anyone else in your home will be diligently, lovingly cared for. Like that OberonBeast. That's what counts a lot.
Along with all you are doing for her already, I hope she'll stay cuddled next to James and you.
Still hoping she'll grow stronger with two wonderful bunny parents and caregivers.

I'm happy to say that Dora is doing really well! She didn't seem to be sick at all this morning so it looks like her intestinal problems are finally under control.

Here's some of those pictures I promised you. Only one video. There's a bunch more but this is the best one.

James and his baby:bunnyheart
100_6174a.jpg

100_6180a.jpg

You! Attention! NOW!!! She begs like this all the time.:p
100_6187a.jpg

World's tiniest lap bunny, chillin' like she owns the place.
100_6194a.jpg

Play time!

She really is a little explorer!!! Wow, try to make her stay in one area....!

Absolutely love this pic

100_6194a.jpg

This one reminds me of the first time we saw Dolla flop because of being tired/frustrated with her grooming. Such a little bunny doing a big bunny thing...:pDora just looks so "at large and in charge" of the situation.

How many weeks old will she be? You have done such a great job at getting her to this point. Hopefully, all she has to do now is get bigger. Dora is too sweet!!! :bunnyheart

myheart

Back