UPDATE motherless babies... at my house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been following this thread all week, and I'm so glad they're doing so well! You guys must be pros at this by now ;)...

Explorer-Dora sounds like she is starting to be quite the cheeky bunny! :shock:

Looking forward to more pictures! :)

Any good news from the vet visit? How are Jazzy's babies doing (both litters, if you have info)? How about Dora and Girr? Was Dr. Bixler impressed with your work on the new babies?

myheart

Actually, Dr. Bixler is gone until early next week so she didn't get to see the orphan babies. But the techs were cooing over them.

Jazzy's second litter are doing well, one more shot left. The largest two are nearly 2 lbs already while Tango is exactly one pound. I think the big ones are as big or bigger than the first litter when I brought them back to the shelter.

Someone put in an adoption application and wants two babies but hasn't decided who yet. It sounds like the shelter will be keeping them until the shots are done.

Does everybody who was infected need to get re-tested to make sure the syphilis is gone, or are they just expected to be clean with the full treatment? Dads at the shelter are getting treated also?

myheart

Just thought I'd give a quick update. Pictures will come sometime... eventually... I've been bad about pics lately.

Anyway, today James and I realized that Dora and Gir have actually grown in length since we got them. We had to compare pictures with James' hands in them to tell, but they're maybe two inches longer when sitting normally. Woot!

They're still not taking as much milk as they should but they are starting to nibble solids. Dora tried the oats this morning and they both tried a little mushy Critical Care this evening. I tried that as I think the pellets might be too large for them to eat easily.

If you have or can get them some dried grass like readi grass Angela I always find they will go for that before they go for pellets anyway also hay. Its usually the first thing they nibble!! sounds like they are doing well though :)

Girr died last night. We think he may have gotten a bladder infection, but are not sure. Late last night naurestee noticed that Girrs butt was wet from urine and that he was more lathargic than normal. This morning when I got up and checked on them, he was gone. This will be a bad blow to her once she wakes up to hear this. We are going to have to be careful to keep Doa warm now. She was cooler to the touch this am than I would have liked.

Mr. Stee wrote:
Girr died last night. We think he may have gotten a bladder infection, but are not sure. Late last night naurestee noticed that Girrs butt was wet from urine and that he was more lathargic than normal. This morning when I got up and checked on them, he was gone. This will be a bad blow to her once she wakes up to here this. We are going to have to be careful to keep Doa warm now. She was cooler to the touch this am than I would have liked.

I am so sorry.

Prayers4.jpg

I am so sorry to hearabout the loss of Girr. Every thing sounded to be going well as of yesterday afternoon.... What a shock to know that things changed so quickly for little Girr.

Rest in Peace little one, your sister will surely miss you. :bunnyangel::pray:

myheart

I'm so sorry. He sounded like he had a very fun personality, even at such a young age and after going through so much. Sometimes you do everything you can and it's still not enough. Sending good wishes to you both, and Dora.
:rainbow:

Thanks for the support, guys. Even knowing the odds were against them, it still hurts so much to loose Gir. I hope Dora pulls through but I have no idea if she will. She's very depressed right now.

James didn't mention it, but Gir also had some pretty bad urine scald on his belly last night. I hadn't flipped him over earlier but I'm wondering if he may have licked the fur out. At the previous feeding he was happy, hungry and dry, whereas at the last feeding yesterday (maybe 3 hours later?) he was mostly unresponsive, unwilling to move even to reposition himself after being set down, and unwilling to eat. And he was always willing to eat.

Anyway, here are some vids from last night. I wanted to show how they're moving and such.

So much for moving... Dora snuggles in with Gir (still healthy at this point).

Dora poking around and being cute. Ignore me talking, my nephew was asking me stuff.

And an older pic of Dora we hadn't posted yet:
000_0041a.jpg

Awe look at that little Dora...what a cutie!!!

Is it possible that one of the other buns would want to sit with her, or maybe even one of the cats? I was almost thinking Oberon, with supervision,because some malesalso have maternal instincts.

Just a thought to help keep her warm and comforted...

myheart

Latest posts

Back