True or false..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maherwoman wrote:
So, to those that don't feed their buns greens, Maisie wouldbe fine (perhaps even better) without them? I've beenconcerned because we don't necessarily have the means to give her theveggies I was told she would need, and now I find out she mightactually be healthier if she DOESN'T have them. She's neverhad a problem with cecals (other than when I was feeding her pelletfood with too much protein), or any kind of runny poo, but if it'sbetter to not give her the veggies, I will most certainly abstain.

It wouldn't be too terrible if I didn't have to worry about thatanymore, considering the only veggies I see her literally runningacross the cage for are romaine lettuce and carrots with theirtops. (I've tried quite a few other choices, but to not muchresult.)

Any ideas?
I don't know that she would be healthier without vegetables.I can only tell you my own experience.I have ownedhouse rabbits for 19 years. All have eaten the samediet. Not a single rabbit of mine has ever had GI stasis orbouts of gas. My rabbits usually live between 12 years and 15years. I had one who died as a result of prior abuse and onewho developed a brain tumor. Coney was euthanized at age15. He developed arthritis at age 14 which no longerresponded to the meds he was getting.

The diet I chose and have used for 19 years is: primary food -unlimited timothy hay. I buy 100 pounds at a time because the4 bunnies I have eat about a pound of hay a day each. Secondfood in their diet - bunny salads, 4 to5 dark leafy greens,vegy's per day about 2 and 1/2 to 3 cups per rabbit. We shoptwice a week for greens and grow our own in the summer. Laston the list - a minimal amount of timothy based pellets. Wechose Oxbow because the fiber content is 28% which was the highest ofall brands available to us. The 2 smaller rabbits get 1/8 cupof pellets a day and the 2 larger get 1/8 cup plus atablespoon. They get limited sweet treats such as carrot orapple or banana - usually only 1-2 inches of fruit a week.Given the longevity and health of my rabbits, I will continue this diet.

It is important that you research the diet issues yourself.It's better to get primary information. If asking peopleabout the diet they feed, also ask about other health issues that maybe related to diet (ie. GI stasis) and longevity or theirrabbits. This may give you some more direction in chosingwhat to feed.

How and where your bunny lives may also be a consideration in diet -inside, outside and climate, show rabbit, house pet, etc.Expense and availability of foods may also be aconsideration. How your rabbit reacts to certain food willdefinitely be a consideration. Some pellets have ingredientsthat some rabbits cannot tolerate such as molasses or a highcarbohydrate content. Some rabbits cannot tolerate certainvegetables. Welimit the cruciferous, 'gassy' vegy's.

If I were to make 'rules' on dietthey would be very simple -high fiber, fresh as possible (no stale stuff from dusty shelves), nosugary junk, consistent diet, no sudden changes.

I don't know if this helps in your decision making, however,Iwould suggest reading and seeing what works best for yourbunny.

Before I joined RO I thought that you had tofeed them greens..I had been very influenced by House Rabbit Society.Since I have been on this site I am beginning to change my mind. Ithink that it is very inportant that they have good hay and maybe somesalad stuff several times a week . Yesterday I got a shipment fromOxbow. In addition to timothyI ordered oat hay and brome haywhich they have never had before. I put that in tonight instead ofgreens and they attacked it. I guess if you don't feed greensyou can feel guilty and if you do feed greens you can feel guilty. Igot a rescue from the shelter last Sept. He was overweight which Iattributed to the alfalfa pellets we use at the shelter. I told the vetI was going to start him on good hay , alot of greens and a smallamount of pellets. He has gained a lot of weight since I got him so nowI think it must be either a lower stress life or the greens??

angieluv wrote:
Before I joined RO I thought that you had to feed themgreens..I had been very influenced by House Rabbit Society. Since Ihave been on this site I am beginning to change my mind. I think thatit is very inportant that they have good hay and maybe some salad stuffseveral times a week . Yesterday I got a shipment from Oxbow. Inaddition to timothyI ordered oat hay and brome hay which theyhave never had before. I put that in tonight instead of greens and theyattacked it. I guess if you don't feed greens you can feelguilty and if you do feed greens you can feel guilty. I got a rescuefrom the shelter last Sept. He was overweight which I attributed to thealfalfa pellets we use at the shelter. I told the vet I was going tostart him on good hay , alot of greens and a small amount of pellets.He has gained a lot of weight since I got him so now I think it must beeither a lower stress life or the greens??
It would seem odd if it were the greens because I can't think of any other than avocado that are that high in calories or fat.

Do you have any way of knowing if his exercise level is thesame? Has he had any blood work or testing especially to lookat adrenal issues? I read some articles recently aboutadrenal tumors showing up in rabbits. It might be worth acall to the vet to talk about the possibility.

He gets more exercise by far here thanat the shelter but he is a quieter guy about 4 yrs old. He did haveelevated blood sugar before he was neutered but last time she testedit, ithad gone down but was still higher than normal.Otherwise he behaves like a healthy rabbit. I think that he would loveto have a female companion and possibly be more active but right now Idon't have the room or money to get another one....plus my husband hassaid 'NO More" None of the veggies are high sugar and I give no treatsor fruit at all

angieluv wrote:
I got a rescue from the shelter last Sept. He was overweightwhich I attributed to the alfalfa pellets we use at the shelter. I toldthe vet I was going to start him on good hay , alot of greens and asmall amount of pellets. He has gained a lot of weight since I got himso now I think it must be either a lower stress life or thegreens??
We consider S'more our "Mentor-bunnie", because we have learned so muchfrom our experiences with her. She was a resuce, too. While at theshelter she was stressed to the max. She had just had a litter and herowner passed away. She and her kits were all at the shelter togetherand obviously scared. We brought S'more, as well as one of her kits,home. After a few weeks they settled. S'more started looking better andbetter, but then gained weight rather quickly. Her diet included dailygreens & fruits, as well as hay and limited alfalfa-basedpellets. After a bout with GI statis, we swiched her over to a verylimited diet with the main difference being a switch to timothy-basedpellets. We still give her greens and fruit, but a very limited amout,more like treats. She looks GREAT. Lost weight, shiny coat, lessshedding/molting, no GI probs, etc.

My guess in S'more's case would be the alfalfa-based pellets and thelower stress level attributed mostly to her change in weight.

Buns are a lot like people when it comes to their emotional and physical needs. They canall be different.

~Jim

Sorry! I didn't realize this topic would startan argument. I had no idea there were so many ways you couldfeed your rabbit. I was always told fresh veggies every afternoon,and once in the morning. Unlimited pellets, and unlimited hay. He getsraisins every now and then (because he can't live without them) and ayogurt chip every blue moon.

It's more of a friendly debate than an arguement(I hope so anyway!). I think we should just all agree that everyone'ssituation, money, amount of rabbits and rabbit dislikes and gutsensitivities are all different and accept that 'to each bunny his own'when it comes to veggies.

Just remember, hay hay hay, and some more hay! On an interesting sidenote, you can make small amounts of your own hay if you have clean longgrass on your lawn. I cut a huge pile and put it in the hot cylindercupboard for a week (or out in the sun if noce weather). My buns seemto really like it.

I honestly don't know if I can cut out theveggies completely. We bought some red leaf lettuce andcilantro for Maisie today. I think it's just fun tryingdifferent veggies to see what she likes. She was fed veggiesfrom a very young age (before we got her) so she can literally eat twolarge leaves of romaine lettuce in a night (as well as a carrot) withabsolutely no problem. We don't feed her carrots every night,mind you...but we have given her the lettuce and some other types ofgreens (in accordance to the many lists out there of safe veggies), butI guess now I don't have to worry about her health if I'm not able togive them to her for a day every now and then. :)

I think I'm having too much fun with how excited and happy Maisie getswith the veggies to stop. When she gets older, it might be adifferent story, but while she's growing I'll continue.(She's still growing like crazy at four months, guys!! Couldthat be from all the veggies??)

Edit: I THOUGHT I was purchasing cilantro...I just discoveredit was actually Italian parsley...EVEN BETTER!! :D

angieluv wrote:
He gets more exercise by far here than at theshelter but he is a quieter guy about 4 yrs old. He did have elevatedblood sugar before he was neutered but last time she tested it,ithad gone down but was still higher than normal. Otherwisehe behaves like a healthy rabbit. I think that he would love to have afemale companion and possibly be more active but right now I don't havethe room or money to get another one....plus my husband has said 'NOMore" None of the veggies are high sugar and I give no treats or fruitat all
Congratulations on getting your bunny's blood sugar level down - it'sso hard to do in humans and animals. In humans, stressaffects cortisol (adrenal glands) levels which in turn can raise bloodsugar levels. More and more studies are being done on humansandhow high cortisol levels, stress, the lack of slepp allhave an influence on weight. I would imagine it's similar inanimals. Again, congraulations on providing a good home andstress free environment.

My daughter reminded me of something last night....

When we use to feed Chippy basil on a regular basis....it would make her fur smell like cinnamon...mmmmmmm;)

Oh, now that's BEYOND cute...

Hey, just thought of something...you had a Cinnamon Bun...hehe!!

JimD wrote:
My daughter reminded me of something last night....

When we use to feed Chippy basil on a regular basis....it would make her fur smell like cinnamon...mmmmmmm;)

Latest posts

Back