True or false..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1487

Reaction score
I participate in another forum, and someone hadjust posted that lettuce isn't good for rabbits, period. I'd imaginethat's false. Because, I was told romaine and red leaf lettuce is goodfor a rabbit. She also went on to say that any leafy greens aren'tgood.

I just wanted to check here, since most people would know.

So, is lettuce bad for rabbits?

Iceburg lettuce is not good for rabbits becauseit contains no nutrients. Rabbit must eat such a large amountto satisfy their nutritional needs and hunger that the high watercontent can cause fatal diarrhea.

Dark, leafy greens are high in healthy vitamins and minerals.Rabbits need to eat a large amount of greens to equal the nutritionalcontent of a concentrated diet, so it is often found to be moreeconomical and easier to feed the concentrated pellet diet or acombination greens/pellet diet.

Any diet changes must be made slowly.

Pam

Rachy1412 wrote:
I hope that you correct her as she is seriously wrong.
This person may just be misinformed or just believes inonlyfeeding a quality Pelleted feed... that's not necessarilyseriously wrong, but just the person's own preference and opinion.

I, for example, only feed a quality pelleted feed and do not supplementwith fresh vegetables or fruits... but that is my choice of preferencefor my rabbits. That does not mean, however, that I try tosway people to my way of feeding... In my pamphlet that I created fornew pet bunny owners, I list some great treats (fresh veggies &fruits) as well as treats to completely avoid (Iceberg Lettuce forexample).

~Sunshine

Yup, they were probably thinking about iceburglettuce, which isn't good for them. I've always been told the darkergreen the better. Romaine for instance is a great choice for them! :D

pamnock wrote:
Iceburg lettuce is not good for rabbits because it containsno nutrients. Rabbit must eat such a large amount to satisfytheir nutritional needs and hunger that the high water content cancause fatal diarrhea.

Dark, leafy greens are high in healthy vitamins and minerals.Rabbits need to eat a large amount of greens to equal the nutritionalcontent of a concentrated diet, so it is often found to be moreeconomical and easier to feed the concentrated pellet diet or acombination greens/pellet diet.

Any diet changes must be made slowly.

Pam

Same goes for humans. Iceburg lettuce has NO nutritionalvalue. That is why I always eat the spring mix in mysalads. ;)

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
I, for example, only feed a quality pelleted feed and do not supplementwith fresh vegetables or fruits... but that is my choice of preferencefor my rabbits.
~Sunshine

Why?
Because IMO, my pelleted feed provides all necessary nutrients andvitamins that my rabbits need... so there is no reason to supplementwith additional sources. Also, when you're feeding up-wardsof 70 rabbits - the fruits and veggies could become quite costly... andit wouldn't be fair to the other rabbits if only a few of them getsomething "extra special", especially when I feel all my rabbits arespecial.

So, I go Quality Pelleted feed straight across the board within my Rabbitry. ;)

~Sunshine

It's not just one person either! :/ that's whatshocked me. Two women on this board are saying that I shouldn't befeeding my rabbit any lettuce period.

I had asked for advice about getting a rabbit neutered. They said tobring a bowl of food before the surgery, but said not to be feeding himany lettuce, as it will cause diarrhea. I know iceberg romaine, andregular head lettuce will. But, yeah. Like I said, I was told thedarker stuff is alright, as are some fruits. I guess I was justconfused as to who mentioned this to them.

In any case, how long would you say it takes a rabbit to recover from being neutered?

I feed romaine every day. My rabbits have neverhad any problems with that. They get a carrot, apple, romaine lettuce,round lettuce, curly lettuce, chinese lettuce and sometimes parsley orcorriander. They get about 1 1/4 cup of veggie's a day. I used to givethem 2 cups but they never ate all of it.

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry I can imagine how expensive it would be togive 70 rabbits veggie everyday! The women who I adopted HotchSpotchfrom had 70+ rabbits, each rabbit got an apple, kale, lettuce and acarrot for breakfast! She was running her rescue by herself as well.

EDIT: check out rabbits.org
i feed chester romine everyday. i heard icebreg lettuce is bad. somepeople don't wanna feed lettuce to bunnys becuase it is way too watery.:?

My rabbits sit in the evenings waiting for theirgreens (part of me wishes thatI wouldn't have started this asit is so expensive for six rabbits.) I feed Romaine. parlsey, cilantro,carrot tops, occasional kale, carrot, and sometimes dandelions andmint. My rabbits have adapted to greens so I feel that I can't stopit.. my first rabbit never had greens and did just fine.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
I, for example, only feed a quality pelleted feed and do not supplementwith fresh vegetables or fruits... but that is my choice of preferencefor my rabbits.
~Sunshine

Why?
Because IMO, my pelleted feed provides all necessary nutrients andvitamins that my rabbits need... so there is no reason to supplementwith additional sources. Also, when you're feeding up-wardsof 70 rabbits - the fruits and veggies could become quite costly... andit wouldn't be fair to the other rabbits if only a few of them getsomething "extra special", especially when I feel all my rabbits arespecial.

So, I go Quality Pelleted feed straight across the board within my Rabbitry. ;)

~Sunshine

Ditto!! IMO.... that is ;)

I love the threads on diets. Everybody has their own opinion.Unfortuately, what works for one bun may not work for another. I have 8bunnies and they all seem to have different dietary needs. I canimagine the task of tending to the needs of over 70.

I've found that the buns have less soft cecal/poop problems on apellet/hay/water diet. Geens are a 1 or 2 times a week treat for mine.Same thing with the papaya. They also love timothy blocks for treats.

At one point I was spending over $20 a week on fruits and veggies forthe buns. Now I only buy one large head of romaine and maybe someparsley.

Weight and appearance has also improved with a simpler diet. They'veall gotten trimmer and shed/molt a lot less. Even Brindle (aka "Thesoccerball with fur") has gained the title of "Miss Svelt"

~Jim

PS:
A wise and caring person once said "Keep it simple-stupid!"

the leaves are better than the flowers but Ialways have given mine some of the flowers too. Don't give it all thetime as it acts as a diuretic and makes them pee more. Mine have neverhad problems with it but start out with small amounts just like anyother veggie and make absolutely sure that the lawn that you havepicked them from has not been treated with any type of pesticide..eventhen wash them thoroughly to be sure there are no insects in them.

My rabbits love both the dandelion leaves and flower!

I spend roughly £20/$36 a week on veggies for my rabbits and guineapigs. I can't ever imagine not giving my rabbits vegetables.

Jim..you are most likely right but it is verydifficult to stop giving them veggies when they have hadthemtheir whole lives and are waiting for them every night.

Back