Trixie's Travels - **She's HERE!!!**

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I thought I would chronicle how Trixie came into our lives (which we'rein the middle of the process of), that way if anybody ever has theopportunity/need to fly a bunny somewhere, they know what to do, whereto go, what to expect, etc. Since we're in the middle of it,I'll give a little background, and a bit of information as to how wegot to this point.

So, since the beginning of Denise (TrixieRabbit) deciding she had torehome Trixie (see the thread here:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16674&forum_id=7 ),we both expressed how much we wanted Trixie to come and live here withme and my girls, and how frustrating that she had to be so far away,etc. But the more we got to talking about it, the more werealized that it is, indeed, do-able.

At first, we thought that we would have to figure out how to transporther via different people using their cars, but we figured that it wouldtake at least a week, and would more than likely cause much unduestress upon Trixie (which is something we wanted to avoid as much aspossible).

So, my next thought was to PM a couple people that I thought might knowwhat to do, if anything could be done in this situation (or if it wasjust not a good idea). What we quickly found out, was thatCarolyn has done this before (I think either I didn't see her post, orit was before my time on the forum) via airplane.Wow! We had no idea that it could be done! :woohoo

So, the next thing to do was call around to find out not only whichairlines could do this, but which ones would be most suitable to abunny, any restrictions, the prices (though, ultimately, we would havegone with the most expensive one if it meant she would get the besttreatment), and what we would need to do.

To be perfectly honest, I have only called one airline, and it was theone that both Denise and I, as people, have had the best experiencewith and really liked. The next thread portion will outlinewhat we found out.

RESEARCHING THE AIRLINES

The first thing I thought of in thinking about calling airlines,was checking out what they had to say online. Each airlinehas their own site, and sections about each part of air travel.

Each site lists various restrictions, such as weather temperatures,food restrictions, weight restrictions, etc., as well as listing what'srequired. The one thing common to each airline is that theanimal must have some sort of Health Certificate (obviously, somethingsaying the animal is in good health...each airline has a different timeperiod they require this to be within), and their carrier/kennel mustbe airline-certified.

From the sites I've been to in researching this out, each animal cargospace is pressurized, and normally temperature-controlled to be withinthe range of 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

I went to their site, checked out all the things I mentioned in theabove post, and copied down their phone number. Then, Deniseand I worked out what we would like to ask the airlines (in accordanceto both of our various concerns), and I called them up.

Here were the questions I asked:

1. What are your total fees for shipping animal cargo (whichis what this is), after all is said and done? (Their websitesall say a base price for shipping animal cargo, but I've found thatmany places usually have another couple of fees that aren't mentionedthat go on top of that...and since Denise and I were going half andhalf on all fees for this, we needed an actual, total price.)

2. What is the timing for reservations? (Eachwebsite had it's own requirements for an acceptable time period duringwhich you can make reservations for animal cargo, due to weatherrestrictions during certain times of year, which I'll get to below.)

3. Do the animals get food and water service? Willthey each be checked up on during their flight?

4. What about layovers? How long can theybe? Where do the animals go? Will they be checkedup on in this situation?

5. What is allowed to be with the animal in it's carrier?

6. What sort of ID, etc. is required upon pickup of the animal once it's arrived?

7. What sort of documentation/paperwork will be required inorder to be able to ship the animal via cargo (like the HealthCertificate)?

8. Is the animal cargo space temperature-controlled (sincesome of the sites didn't specify completely, and more for ourpeace-of-mind)?

9. What are the weather restrictions (each airline isdifferent on this)? How can we tell for a cross-country trip?

10. Do you have any additional guidelines for me?

The answers...in my next post.

CALLING THE AIRLINES

So, in talking to the airline we decided to go with, I found out the following answers:

1. What are your total fees for shipping animal cargo(which is what this is), after all is said and done? (Theirwebsites all say a base price for shipping animal cargo, but I've foundthat many places usually have another couple of fees that aren'tmentioned that go on top of that...and since Denise and I were goinghalf and half on all fees for this, we needed an actual, totalprice.) There is an additional $20 required for theAirway bill. I also asked her if we would be able to shipTrixie's cage (broken down and in a sealed box) along with her in thecargo area, but she said that, for that particular airline, we wouldhave to open a cargo account with them (which would be a lot ofadditional money, and is something businesses do when they have a lotof cargo to send on a regular basis...more on this later).

2. What is the timing for reservations? (Eachwebsite had it's own requirements for an acceptable time period duringwhich you can make reservations for animal cargo, due to weatherrestrictions during certain times of year, which I'll get tobelow.) Reservations could be made for this particularairline anywhere from same-day to one week in advance. Shealso mentioned that Denise would have to get there 2hrs before theflight in checking her in.

3. Do the animals get food and water service?Will they each be checked up on during their flight? Yes,they would get food and water service (and required that you signpaperwork attesting to the fact that the animal has eaten within 4hrsof the flight). You also provide the animal's food and water(along with the containers for such that would be in with theanimal). Yes, they are checked up on quite often.

4. What about layovers? How long can theybe? Where do the animals go? Will they be checkedup on in this situation? She answered that layovers arepossible, but that the animal would be travelling for no more than aday, total. They try to minimize layovers wherever possible,but sometimes it's unavoidable. She also mentioned that theyare supervised the entire time they are in a layover.

5. What is allowed to be with the animal in it'scarrier? I asked specifically if we could have hay inwith Trixie, and a water bottle afixed to the front of the carrier, andshe said that would be just fine. She also said that theyallow something comfy to be in with the animal to lay on.

6. What sort of ID, etc. is required upon pickup of theanimal once it's arrived? The very sweet lady I spoke tomentioned that upon checking Trixie in, Denise would be given an AirwayBill Number, which she would then pass on to me, and I would need that,combined with a picture ID, to pick Trixie up.

7. What sort of documentation/paperwork will be requiredin order to be able to ship the animal via cargo (like the HealthCertificate)? A Health Certificate will be required, andmust be within 10 days of the flight. Also, theabove-mentioned signed paperwork attesting to the fact that the animalhas eaten within 4hrs of the flight.

8. Is the animal cargo space temperature-controlled(since some of the sites didn't specify completely, and more for ourpeace-of-mind)? Yes, it is temperature controlled, andpressurized.

9. What are the weather restrictions (each airline isdifferent on this)? How can we tell for a cross-countrytrip? I didn't specify exactly the first portion of thisquestion, but she told me that the moment we called in to make thereservation, they should know if there are any weatherrestrictions. Thus, the reason for reservations not allowingto be made more than one week in advance.

10. Do you have any additional guidelines forme? I actually didn't ask this question, either, as shehad so completely answered everything else for me.

So, after all that, Denise and I decided to go ahead and use United Airlines (from whom all the above answers came).

As far as Trixie's cage, we decided that Denise would just break itdown, put it all in a box, and mail it to me, and we would split thecost of postage half-way.

Now that all that has been outlined, on to how the plan works, and what we've done so far! :D

THE PLAN

Okay, so the chronicle continues...

In trying to figure out a timeline of how things should proceed (timingis crucial for things), we figured out the timeline to be the following:

1. Mail the cage, and figure out its approximate deliverydate, so I can have her cage all set up with her things by the time shegets here.

2. Going by that date, arrange a flight for her.

3. Then, going by the flight date (and allowing a few extradays, if needed), schedule the vet visit for her Health Certificate.

4. Just be sure everything is all set up, and put together...and send her on over! :)

Thursday, Denise went ahead and mailed Trixie's cage. Here'sthe total of things thus far as far as how much all this is going tocost.

Airline ticket for Trixie: $159 total (I don't know where the extra cost came from, from the $120 they quoted me)

Vet visit for Trixie's Health Certificate: $45

Mailing the cage: approx $38

So, there you have the totals, guys. Yes, it costs some goodamount of money to transport her and her things, but in the beginningshe and I agreed that the cost was worth it, as the whole thing will beMUCH less stressful than a car drive that stretches across probablyover a week of time...so the cost is worth it to both of us.

As far as Trixie's flight, we're planning on next Saturday (the 20th)being her flight date. The only thing that would hold us backis the weather (which has gotten quite colder lately, so it could be anobstacle), but I have a feeling things will work out just fine.

The post office said Trixie's cage would take 5-7 business days to gethere, so it might arrive JUST before she does, or just after, dependingon the timing of things. The package containing her cage hasa tracking number (I'm not sure what the technical term for it wouldbe, but we did it so we could be able to tell just what was going onwith it), and I've been checking up on it.

So...here's hoping the weather warms up a bit, or is okay for her to fly in!! :D

Hugs to all!! :)

Rosie*

P.S. If you guys wanted to check out United Airlines' siteinformation about Travelling with Animals, here are a few helpful links:

Travelling with Animals:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51255,00.html

Restrictions and guidelines:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1048,00.html

Kennel requirements:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1049,00.html

Also, if you want their number, it's 800-UA-CARGO.

Also, guys...feel absolutely free to ask me any and all questions you might have about this subject. :)

I'll continue to update things as the story continues...

I'M SO EXCITED!!!! :D

maherwoman wrote:
Airline ticket for Trixie: $159
Getting Trixie safely to her new home: PRICELESS

This is getting so exciting!!!

Hehe...that's so funny!! The thoughtactually entered my mind as I was typing it all up...but I somehowforgot to add it, hehe!

Good one...I applaud you! :D

P.S. I can't believe everything's coming together sonicely...I just hope the weather is good enough when Saturday getshere!! :D I think I'll just plain melt when I getto see her for the first time!! *sigh*

Snuggys Mom wrote:
maherwoman wrote:
Airlineticket for Trixie: $159
Getting Trixie safely to her new home: PRICELESS

This is getting so exciting!!!

Aww...that's so sweet, JadeIcing!

It's neat that so many people are so excited...though I don't think nearly as many people are as excited as me! :D

I think all my nails will be history by the time we pick her up that day! Mine AND Denise's!! :D

Well, bad news....

Looks like the weather dropped sufficiently that our girl won't be able to catch her flight on Saturday...:grumpy

I'm totally bummed...but keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed thatnext weekend (or even possibly during the week) it'll warm up enoughthat she can just come on over.

Argh...and just yesterday, I got all excited at the prospect at only having to wait four more days. :(

But...I guess it's not all bad. This way we'lldefinitely have her cage by the time she arrives, and it buys us a bitmore time to put that part of the house together for her. Westill have to buy the mounting thingy to put the TV up on the wall(it's not a flat-screen...we're going to buy one of those mountingthingies to put it up), and set it all up, so it's okay, in all....

Still...
moz-screenshot.jpg
:grumpy...combinedwith the head cold I woke up with, this day is just NOT starting outright.

Argh...darn Winter!! Normally I LOVE winter...but for somereason, it's just dampening my spirits this year. :(

Great Thread Rosie! If you dont mind, Id like to link to it from our Resource Center.

You know, when you think about it, (compared to the time and cost oftransporting cross-country via car) its really a bargain to fly herthere for that price. Not to mention its less stressful for little Trix.

One thing I would ask around about (maybe some of the breeders wouldknow) is about the water bottle. Im afraid it might leak on the insideof her carrier and get her all wet. I know mine does if I try to leaveit there for car rides. Something to think about. Maybe they couldattach it when they stop? OrDenise could give her lots ofwatery greens for the ride?

Now, if this danged weather will just cooperate so princess Trixie can book her safe flight to sunny CA!

Oh, cool! That'd be great...that way people could reference it in the future. :)

About the water bottle...I'll pass that advice on to Denise, so she can figure out the best way to handle it from her end.

Question...if it doesn't leak on a normal basis, will it be fine?

Thanks! :D

Rosie*

I know what you mean. California isn'tso sunny today, well, I take that back. It's sunny, but cold,really cold. Okay, well, by really cold I mean it fluctuatesbetween say 40 and 65, but that's cold for us.

Like today, I was taking finals, and the heaters don't work, so I wastaking a test in a giant, freezing, auditorium. It's hard towrite when your hands are numb. Luckily we ran outside to thesunshine to warm up.

Anyway, hopefully Trixie can get out here soon because I have a feelingthat even with our record breaking coldsnap we're having, it's probablyalot warmer here than most other parts of the country.

maherwoman wrote:
Question...if it doesn't leak on a normal basis, will it be fine?
I dunno..maybe those new Water Buddies dont leak, but the usual bottleswill leak little by little into the carrier. I put one on Basil'scarrier one time for our hour trek from Lansing to Flint to see myparents. When we got there, he was pretty soaked!

Maybe ask Peg or Carolyn or someone like that with experience shipping bunnies?

Okay, good idea...I'll do that. I'll PM them both, and post their answers here.

Thanks, Haley! :)

And, yes, Missyscove...it's so dang cold here!! :(

I know, I know...but we Californians just aren't used to actually FEELING cold, hehe!!

If ya need the heater here...it's FREEZING...:roflmao:

Latest posts

Back