Trancing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before everyone goes around trancing thierrabbits, may i suggest that you all research about rabbit trancing. Formany bunnies trancing is extremely stressfull! The relaxed lookingresponse is actually the way rabbits respond when being picked up byprey animals. In fact leading exotic veterinarians suggest that theonly times trancing should be used is to draw blood for health purposesand to clip nails, otherwise tracing can cause extreme stress for therabbit.

hi my names maria, from the west of ireland,mother to two kids and one lop eared bunny called bugsy, i've browsedthis site for quite a while for info on rabbits and its always beenuseful. the topic about trancing amazed me though cos i never knew whybugsy did it (our first rabbit), actually he deserves an oscar for someof the trances he gets into!!!!! he always seems so relaxed, mydaughter (shes 6 and adores him) can get him in a trance and then leavehim and he'll stay there lying on his back, she holds him for me when ineed to brush him or check his nails and he never moves!! i'm so gladthat what he does is normal.........now to cure his obsession with chocchip cookies!!!!!!!!!!

brookebunny wrote:
Before everyone goes around trancing thier rabbits, may isuggest that you all research about rabbit trancing. For many bunniestrancing is extremely stressfull! The relaxed looking response isactually the way rabbits respond when being picked up by prey animals.In fact leading exotic veterinarians suggest that the only timestrancing should be used is to draw blood for health purposes and toclip nails, otherwise tracing can cause extreme stress for the rabbit.

Please state your sources.

I have 4 rabbits of different breeds, and I havehad them since babies. I have NEVER had any ofrabbits showing signs of distress etc.. after being tranced. Ifanything, they have enjoyed it.

As JimD has already said. Please state your findings if you have seen differently

Thank You!

~Zee

I would love to see where you found this information.

I trance all of mine at least once a day for a goodold fashion exam. I check for any lumps bumps any changes, teeth eyes,ears and privates. When I am done I set them down and they binky away.I am not seeing any stress in my rabbits. I have six house bunnies whoI worry and fret over and watch constantly.

I fear that you may be alarming some of our members who areyounger and/or new to rabbits. I think your concern is admirable, I amjust worried about scaring members perhaps needlessly.

Tina

Ditto. Trancing works for me too, and no illeffects. Pandmonium is the only one it doesn't work on--she'safraidof the big bad clippers.:pBub is like holdinga big stuffed bun.

Rose

That is so funny because I remembered that mysister says that he likes to lay on his back so I laid him on his backon a towel and swadled him up like a baby and he was as content ascould be. I pet his head and he started to driftoff. So cute! So when I went to put him back in hiscage I laid him in my lap and uncovered him and he just lay there withall fours up in the air. *play dead* lol! Then I flipped himback over and he hopped back in his cage! He actually likedit a lot. I didn't know it was called trancing.

That is so funny. Apollo and Norman are the same way. They trance and look like stuffed animals lmbo.

It really helps when I'm cutting their nails too. It turns a two person job into one I can do myself.

Tina

Thats odd because when Benji freaked out and gotstressed I put him on his back and give him kisses. After hecame out of it he was fine! I havn't gotten bunny kisses in over a yearfrom my baby boy and i got lots and lots and lots of kisses today!!*thinks* Stress doesn't lead to kisses!!!

brookebunny wrote:
Before everyone goes around trancing thier rabbits, may isuggest that you all research about rabbit trancing. For many bunniestrancing is extremely stressfull!

No...Before YOU write, I suggest YOU read what has been written here.

Again, you offend my members and you have written 13 posts. What is up with that???

-Carolyn

To our Members that are concerned: The verdict is still outas to whether it's actually stressful or not to the rabbits.Buck Jones said it quite succinctly (as quoted earlier in this threadif one were to actually read it), when he said:

"Authorities" disagree about is effect upon rabbits. Someclaim it is as peaceful and restful as it appears. Othersclaim it is related to the "flight" response to a predator.The fearful bun, grasped by a predator,"feigns"unconsciousness or death, all the while it is extremely aware of whatis going on and it heart is beating furiously Assoon as the predator relaxes its grip, the bun will startleto full motion and make good its escape.

Fact of the matter is I can find no one who knows exactly what is goingon during trancing. Carolyn and I have often talked aboutlistening to the heart rate prior to, and after, trancing to idetermineif there is any change, but have yet to actually perform theexperiment. Frankly, they "look" too relaxed to be in somekind of "flight mode" in my estimation, but like the rest of them, Icannot tell exactly what is going on.

Suffice it to say, it has been going on for years, and I've yet to readof any bun actually suffering from it. I would not worry toomuch about the "danger."

Buck;)

lop wrote:
hi mynames maria, from the west of ireland, mother to two kids and one lopeared bunny called bugsy, i've browsed this site for quite a while forinfo on rabbits and its always been useful. the topic about trancingamazed me though cos i never knew why bugsy did it (our first rabbit),actually he deserves an oscar for some of the trances he gets into!!!!!he always seems so relaxed, my daughter (shes 6 and adores him) can gethim in a trance and then leave him and he'll stay there lying on hisback, she holds him for me when i need to brush him or check his nailsand he never moves!! i'm so glad that what he does isnormal.........now to cure his obsession with choc chipcookies!!!!!!!!!!
attachment.php

Oh my gosh, that is too cute!

Laura

sorry if you misunderstood me, bugsy is obsessedwith choc chipcookies but he never gets any, he stands on his back legsand begs for some pleadingly, but we dont give him any...he can smellthem coming out of the packet and he climbs up on whoevers eating it toget some, i usually have a few raisins on hand to blackmail himthough!!!

I was going through Apollo's pictureswhen I came across the one where is sleeping on his back. I can'timagine Apollo sleeping that way if it stressed him out.

Tina

Freddy trances almost every night...he lets mecradle him like a baby and eventually falls asleep on my belly like inthe picture below. I think if it was something that stressed him out orfrightened him, he wouldnt repeat the same behavior every night.

28e9eff8.jpg

Latest posts

Back