The Stee's Stable

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lily's still really sick. Her wheezingis a little better but her eyes are worse- gunky, squinty, andpuffy. And a small corneal ulcer. She's back on thefirst antibiotic, with probiotics because that's what I had to give herlast time due to upset stomach. She has eye ointment that shetruly hates. I asked about l-lysine, an immune systemsupplement, but the vet said they usually wait for a viral problem tolast 2 weeks before they add that. Don't know why.

The vet thinks she might have kitty herpes, which I had been wonderingabout. Poor Lily. That means she could get this onand off her whole life.:(

And I'm still trying to figure out how she gained two ounces on astrict diet! I'd swear she's on starvation rations, and sheand Eve sure act that way!

I don't think the bunnies can get it.I've never heard of viral respiratory infections for buns, especiallywith these symptoms. I know humans can't get it.Eve hasn't shown any symptoms although she's obviously beenexposed. Her URI a while back was less severe and wasobviously bacterial. Apparently it depends on the color ofthe mucous, and hers was yellow-green where Lily's is brown.That, and Eve responded to antibiotics within the first day or so.

I wonder if this is related to Lily's digestive problems, or wastriggered by them. Stress can trigger an episode, just likein herpes infections with humans (different virus, same type).

Thanks guys! Lily just wants you allto know how much she's being tortured. Lots of meds, next tono food. Being encouraged to run and play at everyopportunity. Maybe if she'd spend more time playing thanbegging for belly rubs...

Must be tough. :rollseyes

Hi,

If she does have kitty herpes and needs to take Lysine, it's not sobad. My little guy Charlie gets it twice a day and he lovesit! I put a little dry food in a bowl and then swish itaround with a little water and a squirt of Lysine. It becomeslike Lysine gravy and he slurps itright up! I orderit online and its about $9 a tube and all they need is a small squirt.I found Charlie living under a bush when he was about 5 months old andhe had every cat ailment possible. Hope all is well inSheboygan!

naturestee wrote:
So I have a fat kitten and a skinny kitten. :sigh

Can I have healthy kitties please?
Hey, same problem here! The mom (Putty) is this tiny littleskinny thing -- but very healthy, or would beif she'd get afair shot at her food dish --and her daughter(Houli) is a tank of a kitty,is a walking (waddling?)vetbill -- or she would be if I hadn'tgiven up onvets! Her problems (urinary crystals, skin rashes, sores,nail disease, etc) almost all turned out to berelated to foodallergies.

Ialmost had it licked after years of experimenting withdifferent food. I had a brand that she was doing really wellon (no fish products), then overnight they all came floodingback. I couldn't figure it out. Turns out the^#($^(# pet food manufacturer changed their ingredients -- they addedfish! -- and didn't think it was important to mention that to therelailers or their customers.

The good news is that they're17 and 16 respectively and don't look (or act) a day over six. ;)

Let us know what the vet says.

And btw, that pic of Mocha and the pumpkin is my favourite!Too bad somebody never got their:censored2: togetherto put out a halloween issue. That would have been my coverchoice!

sas :) and the gang:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
CatWhite_928.gif
CatWhite_928.gif
CatWhite_928.gif

Pipp wrote:
And btw, that pic of Mocha and the pumpkin is myfavourite! Too bad somebody never gottheir:censored2: together to put out a halloweenissue. That would have been my cover choice!

Now, now, SAS!:D

I personally think Lily's gas problems are a food sensitivity becauseit decreased when I switched dry food brands. But the vetthinks it was because I was rotating her wet food. So I'mplaying it her way for a few weeks and if she still has gas I'll try adifferent food. But Eve looks so fabulous since I've switchedto the new dry I'd hate to switch her to something else.

Can you believe my skinny kitty Eve is like 8 lbs? She's only 5 months old! She'll be one huge siamese mix!

Thanks Eve! Lily is doing prettygood. Her respiratory/viral problem has subsided and her gasproblems have decreased, mainly the amoxycillan and probiotics werewiping out all the bacteria in her intestines and replacing themdaily... But she's still doing decent even without theantibiotics now. I'll be switching her food soon to see if Ican find something that doesn't cause her so many issues.

Best of all, yesterday I noticed that I can find her ribs again! That means the diet is working. Hooray!

I just took some pics this morning. I'll try to post them soon.

I'm really glad to hear Lily is doing better. That is great news that her diet is working too! Thank you for the update :)

I can't wait to see more pics of your gorgeous kittys! (And your bunnies too).

Okay, so I'm a week late with thepics. :embarrassed: But I took more, so there'smore to see! Oh, and know what happens when I don't downloadmy camera for a month? 100+ pics in one file.:rollseyes

Lets start with the "Christmas toy" pics. I got all thefurkids a toy to share for Christmas ($12 at Big Lots,everybody!). I had it for all of one day before I decided tojust give it to them. The kitties and Fey and Sprite took toit like fish to water. Mocha and Loki were spooked by thecrinkly-sounding fabric but like it now.

100_2392a.jpg

This is Fey, BTW.
100_2396a.jpg

And Sprite, who likes to dash through at top speed and make a huge noise.
100_2399a.jpg

More bunny pics!

Shameless beggars!
100_2339a.jpg

Look at those sweet, begging faces. I will get the oat container. I must obey!
100_2342a.jpg

We rearranged the living room and put some different furniturein. Everybunny likes to play under the new-to-them chair!
100_2355a.jpg

What's this thing? And why does Mommy play with it (it's an exercise ball, LOL)?
100_2361a.jpg

Mocha in the hay rack. Yup, she hates hay. I have to just force her to eat it.:)
100_2379a.jpg

More kitty pics! BTW, Lily's stillpretty good but we're wondering if she has asthma/underdevelopedlungs. She gets short of breath easy and sometimes wheezes ifshe's breathing deeply, but the vet said they sound perfect even whenshe's sick. At least I can find her ribs now, chunky kitty!

Lily's about 8 months now, Eve is about 6.

Why cats and board games don't mix. Hey! That's my die!
100_2294a.jpg

100_2310a.jpg

Lily goes in for the kill.
100_2351a.jpg

Sitting pretty on the fish tank.
100_2407a.jpg

Who, me? Am I in trouble again?
100_2409a.jpg

Great pics! You always manage to capture their personalities so well.

Im glad to hear they like the crinkly tunnel..I almost bought one the other day but thought they might be afraid of it.

And I just love this one:

100_2342a.jpg

How could anyone resist those faces? Look at Mocha, she actually looks mad :D

Hee hee, Haley you're right! Mocha isactually mad and begging at the same time. That's the"window" open between the two pens so I'm in Fey and Sprite'spen. Mocha gets mad and pouty when I'm in there.You'd think she'd be used to it by now, silly girl.

Latest posts

Back