The lives of Kiwi & Papaya!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to die from cuteness overload!!! I don't want Kiwi to feel bad cause she is a really cute bun, but oh my gosh, Papaya is soooo adorable as a baby. He's like this big ball of fluff. He really is a little furbaby :)

I don't think the cecotrope thing is anything to worry about. I have some buns that never have left cecotropes behind, and then some of my other buns I'll see them every once in a while. I really think it just depends on the rabbit.

Webcam's a good idea. Just keep your buns together when you're home, for a while, until you feel more comfortable with them staying together when you aren't home. No sense in overly stressing yourself about it.

So good not to hear Kiwi's unwell. Glad she's doing better.

I am too so happy Jenny that Kiwi & Papaya are feeling better!

I was so proud of them last night. I had to run the water softener because we are on a well, and my landlords asked me to run a cycle because we needed soft water as some of the water was leaving yellow stains in the shower, sinks etc. I don't like runnin it cause its right in the bunny room and makes a loud swishing notice for about an hour... So it had to be done. At first the buns were like what's that noise? Then Papaya came out and went and sat with kiwi like she was protecting him from this unknown noise, then they both hopped in kiwis litter box and started eating together! They didn't seem to bothered by it once they saw it wasent going to hurt them!

Good bunnies! I was worried they would hide like last time but they didn't! I really think their bond it getting stronger! :)

Edited to say: can you see why I drove 3 hours to get Papaya? I saw his pic and almost died by how cute he was :D

Jenny, i cant thank you enough for all your care and support you gave the buns and I. I honestly thought i was going to loose kiwi...

Bunnies are well tonight! And here's some more cuteness for all of you bunny lovers out there!!

8EF09DE0-581C-44D3-A961-BE73E0B082EA-2504-000002DD82901D5D.jpg

E3A350B3-2C2E-4932-9F30-779E6BC4A062-2504-000002DD8BFD5C0A.jpg

And here's the airplane ears!!!!

48E5C97A-EC7B-4AD9-9D37-13013A58056F-2504-000002DD91821CE6.jpg

That's so fun to see them all snuggled up together :) I bet there were several times in this long bonding process, that you wondered if they'd ever get along and snuggle. I'm so glad it's worked out for you and them! They're so cute together :) And Papaya!!! If I had seen a picture of that cute little guy, I'd have driven the 3 hours too. He's definitely worth it!!!

I'm really glad what I've learned with my own rabbits problems, has been useful in helping someone else. So, you're very welcome :) I'm just glad that it's all worked out with Kiwi, and that she's doing well and has herself a new buddy now!:):):)

I hope they stay bonded and there's no more bunny tiffs! I still have yet to take the one cube out so they can go back and forth. See my issue is that when I'm home, I let them have full access to the house and I would feel bad keeping them in their x pens as they spend enough time in there! When I work, it's usually 8-630 so I don't feel comfortable leaving them for that long on their own. Maybe I'll try this weekend when I'm off to see the horses for a couple of hours... The bf might be home so hopefully he could keep an eye on them.

Your totally right about me thinking that they would never get along. I was so sad at the thought that my buns may have to live alone forever! Hopefully, this is not the case now :D

Jenny how is Zeus doing with his tummy troubles? I wish I could help you the way you helped me! I never knew that pellets could play a factor in tummy troubles. Citrus used to have tummy troubles too. I wonder if it was the pellets that was causing it? I guess I'll never know now. At least for future bunnies (I'm sure there will be more!!) I can take your advice and use it on them :)

Qtip- thank you! If we lived closer I would tell you to come and visit!! :D

Zeus is doing good. Loves his probiotics :) His poops are mostly normal now. I think maybe another week on probiotics, then I'll think about starting him with a few pellets (if I'm feeling brave enough). I just don't want him to get sick again so I'm going to go really slow and just give him a few pieces. This will probably be the last time I try to give him rabbit food. If he gets sick again, he'll be on a hay/veggie diet the rest of his life.

Jenny, I'm glad Zeus is doing better! I know how nervous I got with kiwi after she finished eating.

I had a good squeal when I saw my buns all snuggled up together! They are doing great today. Hanging out and eating hay together :)

Well, today when I got home from work, I really needed to sleep. So I put papaya in kiwis x pen with her and went to bed. When I woke up, both buns were just hanging out- no fighting :D They were alone for 4 hours and it was a success! I'm pretty sure I can start leaving them alone now... But I'm too chicken to do so yet.

Also, for all you bunny owners with more then one bun. How do you keep track of who's poop is who's? Right now, I can mostly tell their poops apart as kiwis are bigger then papayas, but sometimes it's a guessing game. I just ask because even though right now, my buns are good, kiwi is prone to tummy troubles.

Wait, I though they were alone together again? I guess I missed something. That or I get confused trying to keep up on everyone else's buns on here :)

So, are they separated at night still? And during the day?

As far as poops, maybe brandy can give you some tips. I was amazed to hear her say she can tell her six buns apart!

But anyway, maybe I'm fortunate but Agnes and Archies poops look pretty different. Size wise and color wise. Also, I can tell them apart because of where they poop in the litterbox. Archie is always towards the side and Agnes more in the middle. So maybe look for their habits like that to help you tell the difference too.

Lisa- I've been too much of a chicken to leave them alone together when I'm not home. Just because of the vicious fights they had at the beginning. If I wasent there for those fights, I'm positive one of them would have been mortally injured or worse...

They are only together when I'm home to keep an eye on them. There have been no issues (fighting) for almost a month now. During the day, they have access to their own cages and x pens. When I'm home they have access to both and the whole house. I do put them in their cages overnight so I make sure they don't forget to eat!

only four hours of sleep? eww!

if you start paying really close attention to litter boxes when they're apart, you may be able to find subtle differences. Gaz's poops seem just a tiny bit darker and smaller than Nala's. for the most part, though, it seems like the not eating as much comes before the not pooping as much so as long as you can monitor their food intake at least a couple times a day (like if they normally rush over when you put fresh food/hay out and suddenly someone doesn't), you should be able to catch any pre-stasis issues early.

No no! I was up at 6am for work till 1pm, but I didn't sleep until after 12am and then of course we were short staffed so I was running around like crazy trying to be three people at once! So when I came home I just needed a "bunny nap", so I slept for 4 hours.

I do notice their poop differences. Kiwis are bigger, rounder and lighter colored. She also likes to poop on the side of her litter box.

Papayas are smaller and darker. Normally he has a spot too but sometimes he just poops everywhere in his litter box. So yes, I can tell them apart but sometimes the poop is questionable because sometimes "I think" papaya does some bigger poops too, but they are darker then kiwis.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who "analyses" my bunnies poop! The bf thinks I'm insane... LOL

It'll be fun when your buns are together for good :) I think you're getting pretty close. A few more times of them spending uneventful hours together, and I think you'll feel more comfortable taking that next step. Maybe sometime soon you could try doing an overnighter with them to see how it turns out. That way you'll still be at home just in case.

I think you'll be able to figure the poop thing out. If nothing else, you are very familiar with Kiwi's behavior when she starts not feeling well. So just keep an eye out for that change in behavior to alert you to any problems she might be having. She seems to be doing really well now, which is great!

I know, I don't think I've ever talked so much about poop until I started chatting on this forum. I think we're all obsessed with bunny poop here :)

I know Jenny! We discuss poop all the time on here! I think it's pretty funny but a must when you have bunnies as pets.

Cosmosmama- you are too funny! What an evil face!

I wasent brave enough to leave them alone today while I was with the horses. I really think they would be fine though. Currently Papaya is all snuggled into kiwi. She is protecting him from the bf who is watching tv in the living room... Lol, cause he's so scary! Ha.

At night they are in their cages. I like them in there at night so I know they are eating and pooping. I feel if I give them the day and night out of their cages they might forget to eat! :S

I think i read that once they can be together for 4-5 hours without ONE incident then they can be alone unsupervised. Now, whether that's the magic number or not i dont know...but it might give you something to base things off of.

Ah Lisa that would be wonderful it ifs true! Can anyone else confirm this?

Kiwi is a happy little camper this morning! She's been tearing around the house as fast as her little bunny legs will allow, doing blinkies!! Bella (the dog) is in the living room chewing on one of we toys and kiwi dosent care! She actually jumped over her! LOL Papaya is still weary of the dog so he's sitting a safe distance away watching Kiwi do the bunny 500!

Gosh, I love my buns!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back