The lavish lives of Lopsy and Lulu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a good bonding session yesterday, they shared a water bowl, ate food together and seemed generally relaxed. there was no aggression or humping. I think that Lulu wants to be groomed because she puts her head down in front of him...

mum took photos:
4375329214_ebeb87484c.jpg

how does the body language look?

what is interesting is that this arvo I've got Lulu out, and Lopsy is in a cage in the middle of the lounge room. I'm not quite game to let them out together until we have at least one or two more with dad around (he wears gardening gloves in case of fighting and stays very calm), but he is at work today. Anyway the interesting thing is that Lulu keeps lying down next to Lopsy's cage, and she seems generally very interested in him. Before yesterday she would sometimes lay next to him but sometimes do her own thing and sometimes lay in other places. After she is next to him for a few minutes he thumps and then starts scratching the side of the cage. So I go over and sort of shoo her off because I'm not sure what he is signally... But within minutes, Lulu returns to her position... I have just done this again half way through typing this. This has happened at least 5 or 6 times.

So what do people think is going on here? As far as I know, it's a good sign her lying next to him. Could his thumping and scratching be because he wants to be out with her, or is she teasing him and he is unhappy? I welcome any speculation...

The session we did yesterday was in half of the lounge room, probably about 4 x 4 metres, since this went well do people recommend doing the same thing again, or using a smaller space or what?

I wanted to have them bonded before I start uni again for the year, I now have <2 weeks of what is a 4 month holiday. So I want to at least be a whole lot closer!

Thanks in advance for any advice/help/suggestions!

Good luck with the bonding! It sounds like you are off to a really great start! I'm not sure what the digging means though, sorry.

Lulu is just gorgeous! I just loove blue bunnies :inlove: My Zeus, who unfortuantly passed away, was a little blue netherland dwarf.

Lopsy is very handsome too, of course! You can't tell from his pictures that anything is different about him. It's amazing sometimes how well they can deal with handicaps.

Thank you, I think she is gorgeous too.

I don't think I would quite call this the start, Lulu was desexed in I think June last year and the bonding was supposed to start after that. The first time we put them together they fought so I didn't try again for ages. And I always want my dad to be there because although I am generally a calm person I am very nervous about one of them getting hurt!

The photo was taken of his good side, he is amazing though how well he does! Even though Lulu seems feisty and he is lovely, he seems to be the dominant one... which is of course a good thing because of his disability. She could certainly beat him in a race.

edit: by the way, now Lopsy is out and he is lying right in front of Lulu's cage. It's not so out of the ordinary though.

I don't know where the sudden surge of courage came from, but I did a date with them by myself.

It went pretty well, they ate together for a bit, seemed pretty relaxed. Then they started moving around a bit more. I think they are both showing good signs of liking each other, but they're not quite there yet.

The way I see it... bare with me here. Lopsy is an awkward nerdy middle aged man with little experience with females. He likes the look of Lulu but she is fitter and younger but interested in cuddles before they take it to the next level. Lopsy tries to hump her... but she hops away because she is faster than him.

In other words, she approaches him and puts her head in front of him, wanting to be groomed. but then he moves around and wants to hump her, which I partly discourage, but she doesn't really allow it because she is faster.

I made a topic about it, because I only got one reply here, but I'm just giving an update here too just in case there is anybody who might read it here, and so I can look back over it in hopefully a few weeks when they are happy bunny lovers and see how far they've come!

I got motivated to make another update. I think I will try to be more regular about blogging on here! Not making any promises though haha

So a few nights ago I decided to let Lulu sleep in my room in my big-ish indoor cage which has been sitting empty. I didn't want one of them to get territorial about the cage but I want Lulu to be in this cage next weekend when I am away so I though I'd get her settled in before I go away. My friend has agreed to house/bunny sit so I am pleased with that.

Anyway my boyfriend stays here a lot and especially lately because we have been sick and when he is sick he is sookie and likes to be here a lot. I told him Lulu was going to stay in my bedroom so he could go home if he wants. He sort of forgot about that and it got to bedtime. So we lie in bed and she is chewing. and that is enough... he moves her cage out into the bathroom. he doesn't give it much of a chance at all. but then last night we tried again, and I think she was very good! he wasn't so happy because she woke us up at 7ish this morning. She just wanted to play though! I sleep with ear plugs most nights anyway so I don't think she will bother me too much, I don't think Lulu could make as much noise as his snoring lol.

I have been slack with the bonding sessions lately because of being so sick. They did groom each other last week with the aid of some grape squeezed onto their heads. I will post some pictures when our internet returns to normal speed, we are down to dial up because my brother used skype too much!

Sorry I feel like this is coming out a bit disjointed. I guess I am tired... I hope it's not too boring, I don't know if anyone will actually read it anyway!

I'm reading!! I just found this blog. Lopsy and Lulu are adorable. Thank you for taking in Lopsy knowing about his legs. When we took in Baci, the vet said his hind leg was permanently broken which was why he was considered unadoptable and was to be put down that night. I love Lulu and her parachute ears!:D How is the bonding session going? Need new pics!

Oh thank you for reading, Helen! Lopsy is a lovely boy. In a way I don't notice his legs at all, until he does something amusing like he sometimes looks like he is trying to scratch his face with one of his bad legs, but his leg doesn't reach so it just moves up and down in the air. It's amusing but I feel bad for him that he has an itch he can't scratch. I should try and get a little video of one of these times... It's one of those "haha awww" moments".

Here you go, just to tie you over. it was surprisingly quick to upload with dial up speed (we went over our limit because my brother used skype too much talking to his sort of girlfriend who lives in new zealand, so we are now on dial up speed).

12309_1372682990804_1043646129_1102805_3369301_n.jpg

They're not bonded yet. although they are happy to sit side by side and eat! they like a dinner date but aren't ready to take it to the next level and live together. although Lopsy tries to have his way with her... but she is an old fashioned girl with traditional values (maybe like me).

whose ears, what do you mean?

If you mean Lulu whose ears are back, I think she is actually relaxed. I don't recall exactly when I took the photo but it appears as though I might have pet her and her ears stay back a bit.

Lopsy's ears look like I am being an embarrassing parent taking photos of him and his gf before school formal haha

I couldn't help myself, here's one more pic of each of them.

12309_1372696751148_1043646129_1102831_5335048_n.jpg

Lopsy knows he is handsome.

12309_1372696711147_1043646129_1102830_5365792_n.jpg

Lulu seems to know how to make angelic faces for the camera.

Now it's time I went to bed! We'll see how night two of Lulu in my room goes. The all important question is, will she wake me up at 7am? We shall see!

Nice blog!!! I feel bad for your boy with the leg problem!! They are sure both cuties!!

I went away for the weekend and left my bunnies in the care of my friend Cherie. Apart from Lulu being a bit cheeky there were no dramas. We had a great time down at the great ocean road, we stayed in a town called Lorne.

The weather was sometimes raining and not so nice.

25254_1380165337858_1043646129_1125734_1150560_n.jpg

That is me at the twelve apostles, with my jacket and hood and umbrella. It was still a spectacular site even though it was wet.

We also had some nice sunny periods as well.

25254_1380526546888_1043646129_1126879_3483922_n.jpg

We went on this holiday because it's my brother's girlfriend's first time here meeting us so we wanted to take her somewhere nice. She's from New Zealand, they met when my brother was touring over there in January. She is a lovely girl and we all got along very well.

Here's the happy couple. Happy to be in the same country, and happy to be a couple.

25254_1381054520087_1043646129_1128268_8283463_n.jpg

That's my brother Robbie and his girlfriend Lizzie.

I am intending to have a productive day today. I am going to get some homework out of the way, and have Lopsy and Lulu out spending some time together. While I was away they were let out in half the lounge room each, and Lulu scaled the couch and got onto the other side, and they were apparently alright together for a bit. My bunny sitter also said when Lopsy was out he would mostly spend the time sitting next to Lulu's cage, then come hop over to Cherie (bun sitter) then go back to Lulu haha so maybe I am being very optomistic but I'd like to think after some time apart they have missed each other and want to become bonded now lol. As I said, I am probably being very optomistic! We'll see how they go, I certainly haven't given up on them yet.

I think that's all for now. I might be back later to report on how Lopsy and Lulu are doing together.

Lopsy sprayed on Lulu within less than a minute of being in the same room! What's with that... It was super fast, they sniffed each other, then sniffed a metre away, then he sprayed her. He got her pretty good too on the nose.

This makes me think he could not be neutered after all, now I've had him for a year. I did have doubts because he is so keen to hump her, but I'd talked myself out of it. But now I am back again with doubts. ah dear. anyway I put him back and now Lulu is enjoying some freedom.

I'm wondering though if I did the wrong thing by putting him back straight away. But I (and my parents) obviously don't want him spraying all over the lounge room. I don't know if he'll do it again if I bring him out here again.

Lulu has come so far in the 11 months she has been here. She still only wants to be petted on her terms, which is often only when she is in her cage. But more and more she will enjoy some pets out of her cage, such as this afternoon.

It's such a small thing but she will put her head down and just seems really relaxed and it makes me happy! So of course I take heaps of pics of her, here is a sample. haha just as I typed this she jumped up onto the couch next to me and straight onto the back of the couch. she is sitting at my left shoulder contemplating what to do next. she is such a cutie. she seems to now be licking the top of the couch, this is a new way for her to fill in the time haha

anyway yeah those photos...

25254_1381196883646_1043646129_1128460_625570_n.jpg

25254_1381196923647_1043646129_1128461_4028415_n.jpg

she leaned her head over to where my hand was... nawww

Well I am sick of not knowing whether Lopsy is desexed or not. So I booked an appointment with the vet. this way we will know what we're dealing with. If he hasn't been, and can be, then I will have him neutered next week. If he already is, which I severely doubt now, then I don't know what the future holds for their relationship.

I guess I am hoping he isn't neutered and can be, so then in a few weeks he can calm down and the bonding can go ahead. I think they will love each other if only he would ease on the mounting.

Lulu is lovely. I feel a bit bad like I've been neglecting Lopsy and favouring Lulu. I let Lopsy out in the hallway and he did the funniest flopping over with his legs everywhere. I tried to get the camera to take a pic but he got up. Anyway that's what's going on with me and the buns.

I wish I had checked sooner whether Lopsy was desexed... as I said in the previous post I was sick of not knowing so I took him to the vet. The vet actually wasn't sure at first but the verdict was that he is not desexed. but he will be this friday!

So then after he has healed up I am hoping that the bonding with him and Lulu will become far simpler. and they will soon be married. no harm hoping!

Lopsy update: he seems to be doing really well since his neuter two days ago. I have been leaving the critical care supplement in the cage for him and he eats it in his own time. at first he wasn't interested but he is eating it by himself so I am pleased with that. He even seems excited by it... weirdo haha. He is also eating normal food anyway so I'm not worrying too much about the supplement. He is munching on hay right now, I can hear him :)

I feel bad for him because he sometimes gets stuck on his back and like flicks himself around to try and get up... and I imagine that could be painful while he is recovering. but hopefully he doesn't do any damage to the wound or anything.

I am SOO looking forward to being able to put him and Lulu together again and try to get them bonded after he has healed up and his hormones have settled. I am not exactly sure on what my methods will be, but they seem to like each other so I am very hopeful. I am really looking forward to having a bonding pair.

In other news, I went to a dinner thing for a friend's birthday tonight. She is a pretty new friend and I didn't know many people there but my bf and I spoke to a few random people and they were all really nice. So I had a pretty good night really, not feeling in the best mood now I'm home but I'm trying to distract myself. I think that is about all for her before I start disclosing too many personal details of my life.

Latest posts

Back