The difference between

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
peapoo_bunny wrote:
yep..we call them pocket books..lol...i dont know why though...theyre not little or anything

you hardly hear anybody around here call them handbags...lol...you would probably get stared at really funny if you asked where the handbagswere in the store...he he
Actually - where my mom lives (Aroostook County in Northern Maine) they are known as "handbags"....even by people my age (I'm in my mid forties and mom is 78). To this day, even though I don't live up there - I call them handbags too as that was what they were called when I was growing up!

Peg
really?...well, i guess thats just wherei live then... you occasionally hear someone say handbag..but most people just say pocketbook or purse

linz this is a good subject and i am glad that you brought it up

over here in aussie land we also call a bag,a handbag or bag

a womans purse..purse

a mens purse..wallet

we also call a napkin a serviette,to wipe your hands

q tips..we call cotton buds

diaper..we call nappies

pacifier..we call dummy

wet towels that you use for babies..we call wet ones

cookies..we call biscuits

we call a lift a lift and elevator,the automatic stairs that take you up we call esculater

french fries..we call hot chips,french fries to us is very thin hot chips.

i know there are so many differences but i just cannot think of any at the moment

cheryl..

Linz...I had an english friend who constantly called kleenex 'tissues'! No one here (that I know) calls kleenex tissues! Based on all the british mystery novels I read, you seem to say "lie-in" for a sleep in, and a "sit-down" for a rest(?). My british friend also said canadians use the word 'hilarious' quite a bit.

This is so funny - I think some of it could also be generational...

I call Kleenex "tissues" all the time. Toilet paper is called that or "bathroom tissue"...

Wow!!! It's amazing to see the differences just with the people that respond who are in the US.

The 'young' crowd refers to 'handbag' as a purse which is something we keep our checkbooks, wallet/change purses in. While the older generations call it a handbag.

A 'wallet' is a man's item to carry his money/credit cards etc in.

Change Purse/Wallet are the terms for the women's item that holds the money/credit cards etc.

Kleenex is the brand of tissue but people refer to every tissue as a 'kleenex' even if its 'another' brand.

'Your' sanitary towelis refered to as a pad, tampon or sanitary napkin.

'Our' sanitary napkins are wet ones thats also 'anti-bacterial'.

Garage sales are home sells where the saleis done 'in the garage'. While in otherstates it means it's a sale of tools, equiptment etc. Yard sales are home sells where the actual sale takes place in your yard. However, in other states it's a sale for the 'women' with clothes, household items etc.

I refer to Pepsi, Coke, Root Beer etc as both Pop and Soda just depending on what I feel like saying LOL! That's just part of me that's never left 'Virginia'. LOL!

Under-pants are underwear, panties, bloomers, undergarment..... it just depends what generation you are speaking to.
:D

What is always funny to me - is to hear my mom (and my Grandma used to do it too) say they are going "uptown".

Mind you....they were uphill of the town....so why was it "Up" town?

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
What is always funny to me - is to hear my mom (and my Grandma used to do it too) say they are going "uptown".

Mind you....they were uphill of the town....so why was it "Up" town?

Peg
I live in a village of about 100 people that has 2 four way stop signs and a stop sign at the end of every alley (7 paved allies WITH speedbumps AND names!). The town is like an "H" two roads and one road that connects the 'two roads'.

Now, I've heard people saying they are going 'downtown'...in this village!:dunno It's like.. ummmm where's that!?!?! :ponder:

You can walk the whole town in 10 mintues and thats including walking up and down every alley and up and down the road. :disgust:

Yeah - with mom's town - if you blink twice you'd miss most of it. So it always struck me as funny.

Peg

I hear "pop" versus "soda" versus "soda pop" a lot. When I used to work at a restaurant, I hated it when people (mainly from the South) asked for a Coke to drink. Because by the brand name Coke they actually mean any soda under the sun, and I was supposed to know to ask them "What type of Coke?" and they would say something like Mountain Dew. Talk about confusing!

this is so funny,

here in australia if you ask for a coke that is exactly what you get,a bottle or can of coke.

we dont say soda or soda pop,if you did you might get a strange look lol

we have sooo many garage sales over here,people just selling their unwanted things could be anything.

kleenex is a brand of tissue,we just call tissues

underwear,knickers,boys underwear we call jocks or the good old boxer shorts,a lot of guys here are going from wearing jocks to boxer shorts lol.

bloomers are like old peoples knickers lol

cheryl..

naturestee wrote:
I hear "pop" versus "soda" versus "soda pop" a lot. When I used to work at a restaurant, I hated it when people (mainly from the South) asked for a Coke to drink. Because by the brand name Coke they actually mean any soda under the sun, and I was supposed to know to ask them "What type of Coke?" and they would say something like Mountain Dew. Talk about confusing!

wow...i live in the south and ive never heard anybody do that.....?:ponder:

our small town is very easy to miss

i always say soda...or just say the name ( moutain dew , coke, etc.) of the soda...for some reason ive always thought just saying ''pop'' sounds funny...

i usually say pocketbook and not purse... some things just sound weird to me:dunno:

garage sale here is when you want to clean out your garage, so you sell the stuff in it

yard sale is just like the name...selling stuff in ( or on..??) your yard...lol

We dont normally have yard or garage sales here. We have 'car boot sales' which is basically filling up your boot (or trunk;)) of your car with the stuff you want to get rid of, and drive off to a random field, where everybody is going. To buy or to sell from the boot of your car the things you dont want.

Literally, im not joking, it is just a 'random' field!

Ok this might sound a bit weird... or Im not sure if my mum is joking about, but she said she has heard alot of people say "Pussy footing around'.... It sounds a bit rude to me but I am not sure lol.

So what does it really mean? And do you guys use it alot or not? Or is it just in the silly cowboy films my mum watches ;)

Linz_1987 wrote:
Hmmm, wait a minute.... Is there any difference between Canadian and American language?

Canadian is generally a mix between American and British. Example:

Tire Centre - Canadian
Tyre Centre - British
Tire Center - American

Of course, if you're in Newfounland, all bets are off. They speak something weird, I tell ya. The differences between specific words like "Kleenex" vs "Tissue" vary depending on where in Canada you are. If you're in Quebec, don't expect to understand half of what they say, whether you're American, British, or French.

Linz_1987 wrote:
Ok this might sound a bit weird... or Im not sure if my mum is joking about, but she said she has heard alot of people say "Pussy footing around'.... It sounds a bit rude to me but I am not sure lol.

So what does it really mean? And do you guys use it alot or not? Or is it just in the silly cowboy films my mum watches ;)

It's like tip-toeing around. It can mean that someone is being sneaky, or it can be used to say that someone is avoiding something.

For example, "I asked Harry why he broke up with his girlfriend, but he kept pussy footing around the subject."

FYI, "pussy" can also mean "cat!":D

Linz_1987 wrote:

we dont usuallysay pussy footing around, but i guess some people do....

some people (and i know its weird) say "your beating a dead horse" which means - wasting time ..its not gonna happen any time soon..etc

oh...does anybody ever use this one ..." gotta talk to a man about a dog''?

Latest posts

Back