The difference between

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz_1987

Reaction score
OK, so tous Brit's, a purse is where you put money in (a ladies, men call it a wallet). Americans its a bag (what we call a handbag)...

So what do Americans call a purse (what we put money in)?

My mum mainly wants to know :cool:

Sorry if it soundsconfussing!

Also my mum went on holiday to Toronto - she was at a hotel, eating her dinner. She asked the waitress for a napkin, and they laughed at her, and bought her back asanitry towel. Its just so funny!

Im not offending your language though, I would love to live in America! :D

There really isnt that much difference between our language though, but when the difference occurs some funny things can happen!

Linz_1987 wrote:
OK, so tous Brit's, a purse is where you put money in (a ladies, men call it a wallet). Americans its a bag (what we call a handbag)...

So what do Americans call a purse (what we put money in)?

im guessing what you call a handbag is what we call a

pocketbook-

here a purse wouldnt be a wallet, it would be a handbag or pocketbook..purse,handbag, and pocket book are all the same thing here

what you call a purse...wewould call a wallet or a coin purse

Linz_1987 wrote:
Also my mum went on holiday to Toronto - she was at a hotel, eating her dinner. She asked the waitress for a napkin, and they laughed at her, and bought her back asanitry towel. Its just so funny!
here (US) we call them napkins.. i dont know why they gave her a towel.. but i dont know about toronto though, i guess its different there..

whats a sanitary towel? is it like a wet wipe?

yep..we call them pocket books..lol...i dont know why though...theyre not little or anything

you hardly hear anybody around here call them handbags...lol...you would probably get stared at really funny if you asked where the handbagswere in the store...he he

A napkin here is a tissue, what you wipe your hands on etc.

And a sanitary towel is what women use when they are on their periods.

So in the US what is a napkin to you? and what do you call sanitary towels?

Hehe this isnt getting rude... honestly

Linz_1987 wrote:
A napkin here is a tissue, what you wipe your hands on etc.

And a sanitary towel is what women use when they are on their periods.

So in the US what is a napkin to you? and what do you call sanitary towels?

Hehe this isnt getting rude... honestly

a napkin is a napkin...wipe your hands etc.

i think what your calling a sanitary towel is what we call a wet wipe..like a napkin but it comes wet..i guess is how you would describe it...?..also use it when changing a baby diaper

oh, no.. i know your not being rude...i think its interesting

no, a sanitary towel is like a pad what women wear in their knickers when they are on their periods.

I was just wondering what you call one or Canadians call them, as my mum asked for a napkin and they bought out a sanitary towel when she was on holiday in Toronto.

I know whatyou mean by wet wipes, We have them in England but they are COMPLETELY different.

oh... lol...:laugh:...i know what your talking about now...those are just pads or tampons...

what do you call Q-tips? my mom had a friend who called themear buds

also she hated chocolate and said she didnt have it where she lived

Q-tips? We do call ear buds ear buds LOL. Them long things with the cotton wool on the ends you clean your ears out with.

Where does your mums friend live??? She doesnt have chocolate where she lives :shock:Wah! Thats mad! N how can you not LOVE chocolate!

Linz_1987 wrote:
Q-tips? We do call ear buds ear buds LOL. Them long things with the cotton wool on the ends you clean your ears out with.

Where does your mums friend live??? She doesnt have chocolate where she lives :shock:Wah! Thats mad! N how can you not LOVE chocolate!
yeah thats them..we call ear buds Q-tips ...but ear buds seems to make more sense to me..i have no clue why theyre called q-tips

she lived somewhere in england...i think she just hated nestles chocolate...but im not sure..she said it smelled aweful:shock:

:shock:I do hope this is not most embarassing, but in Canada, at a restaurant, I do believe a "napkin" would be considered (excuse the crudeness) a thin papering to wipe ones' hands/ and/or mouth after or during a meal. Excuse me again, but a 'sanitary napkin' might be purchased at the local drug store. I do not mean to imply any disrespect, but this is only from my own experience.

peapoo_bunny wrote:
yep..we call them pocket books..lol...i dont know why though...theyre not little or anything

you hardly hear anybody around here call them handbags...lol...you would probably get stared at really funny if you asked where the handbagswere in the store...he he
Actually - where my mom lives (Aroostook County in Northern Maine) they are known as "handbags"....even by people my age (I'm in my mid forties and mom is 78). To this day, even though I don't live up there - I call them handbags too as that was what they were called when I was growing up!

Peg

I know you call Dummys Paccifires (sp), Biscuits Cookies. Really there isnt that much difference, but I honestly have never heard of a pocketbook before! Or even q-tips. I really cant think of any more.

Oh wait ! Heres one.

You call trousers pants? So what do you call what we call pants? i.e knickers, boxers etc? Or do you just call them knickers etc?

....or even Under- Pants?

Linz_1987 wrote:
Oh wait ! Heres one.

You call trousers pants? So what do you call what we call pants? i.e knickers, boxers etc? Or do you just call them knickers etc?

....or even Under- Pants?
under-pants... would be under-wear.. but some older people i know call them bloomers..lol

Back