The adventures of Tuck...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, right now.. I moved Gus Gus's cage to the ground, and Tucker was out roaming so they got some good sniffles in and everything, nothing mean, they were just sniffing and everything, and it looked good because Gus Gus doesn't seem very confrontational... BUT, then Tucker decided to poop all around Gus Gus's cage.. so I know he was marking and not completely happy. He also rubbed his chin on Gus's cage which I have never seen him do before, either.

(MIND you, I am not sure if Gus will actually be his name, still looking into it.. we will see but this is what I'll call him.. for now)

I put Tucker in his cage, and he is not happy.. he wants OUT, he is bitting his cage. I should mention this little guy has never been locked up since he's lived with me, he either had his pen, or he has had the whole room. Ugh makes me feel bad.

Of course he's biting his cage and Gus does his very first BINKY!!! I'll never get sick of binkies, by the way.. but it's almost like he's like.. IN YO FACE!!

That's actually not a bad reaction for a first meeting. I have scratching at the gate and lunging, with two of my girls. So from your two, that's good that there wasn't any outright aggression towards each other.

Those NIC panels could work for that. I think xpen panels might be easier for dividing the room though. You just need to make sure it's high enough that either bun can't jump over to the other side. You may have to use cardboard/posterboard ziptied towards the top to discourage climbing, if you have a climber. If you opt for the NIC panels, if you have a sears near you, they seem to have the cheapest price for them online, then you just select store pick up so you don't have shipping charges.

Could you link me to what you are talking about perhaps??

I am excited that they had a good first initial reaction, though Tucker is going CRAZY in his cage still and I feel bad.. It's also almost time for bed for me.. and I don't know if I should let Tucker back out for the night like he usually is..

Are you talking about the wire cubes or the xpen. Here's the sears link. You can also order them online from kmart and have store pick up for free shipping. Whatever you do, just don't get the kind with the extra large square spacing on some of the panels. A few stores carry that kind, and they are a pain to deal with. If you are wanting to use an xpen, then you'll just need to shop around to find the best deal. You can often find a pretty good deal on amazon, and usually with free shipping. You can also sometimes find them used on local classifieds listings.

http://www.sears.com/stor-floor-sta...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
http://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-sta...W435219990001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I am in a bidding war on ebay for an exercise pen and they have some other ones that are TALLLLL!!!!! and are very reasonable priced 46" for less than $50 and I thought of you so if you cant find an exercise pen in the classifieds check out ebay!

So... Friday, as I was at work and worried all about my Buns, who I had dropped off earlier around 7:30ish... I got a call on my phone from an unknown number and got a voicemail... it was a lady in Virginia, who was on ground searching for Luigi! She passed out flyers with her number on them, telling people if they see him to give us a call.... she got a call! That some park rangers a mile and a half up the road, they TRAPPED him. And they were 99% sure it was him. Are you kidding me? It's been since Feb. 16th, literally over 2 months that he has been missing.. I have just lost hope, seriously.

Anyways, the lady Donna ended up having to go see and verify that it was actually him... and she sent me a picture of him and it was 100% HIM. I was so anxious awaiting that call back to tell me it was him. Like seriously.

The last time I did an official post here it was about him... now I start blogging again, and he comes out of hiding? Oh wow.

Anyways.... he's doing well. He went STRAIGHT to the vets, he got neutered and microchipped.. he got a spa treatment, he got the whole rounds, he is so friendly and so so sweet from what I hear, and I am so thankful he is safe! I am already inlove.. I was intears and so worried about him constantly that I just couldn't help but get emotionally involved. And so now, I have ANOTHER announcement.

He is coming here after all.. he originally was going to be here to be fostered... But now, he's going to be officially my boy. I can't let him go after this... after all we've been through. My birthday is April 30th, and he has given me the best birthday ever.

I know everyone in my family and friends will be judging me badly, but seriously I don't care. Okay so I'll have 2 bunnies, 5 cats and 2 dogs. Get over it. It's my life, not yours. I am just hoping he gets along with them all! haha

The biggest thing is; The only way I know he won't go through anymore hell .. is having him here with me. He has been through the ringer.. who knows what kind of life he had before, but then he ended up in a kill shelter, was pulled from that the day he was to be euthanized, I mean REALLY? And... then... lost during a transport because of someones idiot mistake... and missing for months. Honestly, I was definitely thinking we would never find him alive, I am so thankful! I will post some pictures, soon.

Now anyone who thinks I'm crazy, let me have it. :D

Edit; I was in a little of a rush when I was writing this yesterday; I wanted to let you guys know, too, that there is a lady who claims to be "emotionally involved" which I could believe, but I am unsure really at this point. She said she was interested in adopting him. She is a very nice lady, she ended up actually camping out at the site he was lost a couple of weeks into it and searched the surrounding areas looking for him.. which was VERY nice of her, but she told me she wanted to adopt him Friday, so I called her after work, and she never answered. She texted me and told me she'd call me back, and she never did. She ended up texting me a lot later and said she'd call me Saturday.. which she never did. Seriously, I just think if she was serious about wanting him she'd be very anxious and excited and would've gotten back to me. So, to me, she isn't good enough.. and that was decided BEFORE I decided I was keeping him.

null_zps28cb539b.jpg

Above is a picture of him at his foster home after he was pulled from the kill shelter, before he headed off for transport.

Next picture is the picture I got Friday saying it was HIM!

null_zps0308c8a7.jpg

And then, when he got to the vet.
null_zps5a2d1e00.jpg

null_zps02cb9118.jpg

Now, we just got to get transport to me.. and we have to make sure it's people we can really truly 100% trust, we don't need any of this ever happening again.

Last edited:
Alright, I am kind of mad.. I actually have a headache because it's how mad I am. It's my birthday, and all I wanted to right now was post some cute pictures of my bun buns for everyone to enjoy, and to of course write a blog entry.. Tucker even wanted to chat, but photobucket has been wicked stupid these past couple of days and if I add a picture in on here it ends up being HUGE and I can't even type after it, it's wicked strange, I have done it many times before so I don't know WHY it's being like this I am just getting so angry at this!!

Anyways, today is my birthday. (Yay. I am now 25 years old! Ugh!! haha) And I took the day off work, all I really wanted to do was like.. do nothing. I get into those modes, where I kind of just want to hang out and do basically nothing..actually I get like that a lot. I did wake up still pretty early, though. I didn't want to sleep in because I knew I had to work tomorrow so I couldn't stay up late tonight. So I checked on my buns, I took care of all the animals, and just hung out. Tonight we're going to dinner at the Melting Pot.. it's like a fondue thing. I am pretty excited about this actually.

While I showered I let the new guy Gus out in the room, and I took Tucker into the bathroom with me so he could roam around. He basically just hid behind the toilet the whole time. Once I was done showering and I was dressed and everything I brought him into my bedroom. I thought he'd be freaked out and everything because he hadn't ever been on my bed before, and I had my 4 kitties laying on the bed, but he did SO well. Infact I think he liked them, haha.. here is a picture of him with my oldest cat, who is wicked grumpy.

null_zpsaaec92c6.jpg

And a picture of me & him.. I obviously was forcing him. He didn't want to stay still at all. (I apologize for the huge picture here, this is what was annoying me)

60361089-a312-4d7e-80d3-22b4eae2b5db_zpsefd36b35.jpg

I meant to tell you guys, too, that Tucker is basically a basketball player. HA. When we first got Tucker I bought him a giant cage, and I had a pen for him, I set up the pen so that he could hop in and out of his cage as he pleases, but then he somehow kept escaping, and I couldn't figure it out. So, I took down his pen, and let him have the whole room. He is a spoiled bun.. but I wasn't using the room for anything else and there isn't anything else in there anyways, so it worked out. The only issue was he wasn't doing anymore binkies because there was all hardwood floor and no rug or anything. The two towels that were in his pen kept bunching up with the pen not being there to hold them down, so... I decided to get him a rug. & Oh my, he was one happy bunny. He actually did some crazy binkies that I wish I caught on camera, I called them "Matrix binkies." Gosh, he's so adorable. I just can't get enough of him.

null_zpsec7ea54f.jpg

null_zps23c8d7f7.jpg
[/URL]

& of course finally, let me officially introduce GusGus to you all.

null_zps8376eb17.jpg

GusGus came to me in a tiny little dog kennel, and I kept him in there for a couple of days, but this past weekend I set up the big dog kennel I have (x-large) and he's really enjoying it. I'm so glad I got him and now he can be spoiled, and I can already see him becoming more and more happy... he was in a little bit of a depression when I first got him, I mean could anyone blame him?

Sunday it was SO nice out, so I took them outside, (separately) I had one of Tuck's old pens out there and figured I could use it, I took Tucker out first and sat in his pen with him.. He was SO nervous! It was his first time going outside, so I'll have to slowly try and get him used to it. First he hopped around a little, then he decided that I was the best, and kind of hung all over me. Here are some pictures of that.

null_zps8fe6d3ba.jpg

null_zps5bc14d6c.jpg

null_zps86dad975.jpg

And then Gus... he LOVED it. He hopped around like he owned the place, and when I sat with him he actually cuddled up against my leg a little bit, but I think he just did that because he wanted a little shade.

null_zps4b1bef96.jpg

null_zps60bf4a79.jpg

This is like our first offical summer at our new home, we bought it back in July of last year, and I am ecstatic that my whole yard is filled with Dandelions... and they both LOVE them so far. lol.

I am slowly introducing Gus to my pellets and also slowly introducing greens.. so far I have tried Parsley, and that is one of his absolute favorites. I have also given him a few leaves of Kale, and he likes that, too.. he pretty much hasn't said no to anything. He also loves craisins.

Tucker on the other hand, is being a picky butthead. He never was, but for some reason he has gotten more and more picky. He decided he doesn't like Parsley anymore, he'll just let it rot there. He LOVES Kale and it's like all he wants, and I know it's high in calcium (Thanks to Katie for this) I know I need to watch out giving it too regularly, so I am trying to switch it up. I tried escarole, and he didn't eat it first, but he did eat it up last night.. I also tried arugala and he did pretty good with that, we'll see.. it's a work in progress. He also used to LOVE basil, but now he seems to be forcing it down. And he's okay with craisins.

How do you guys decide what you're going to feed veggie wise? I give carrots randomly, but always cut one carrot up and split it between them and my dogs, so there isn't a big portion at all for them when it's left over.

My biggest thing is.. FRIDAY was the best day ever. Once I got the call that Luigi was captured, (as I just wrote on April 24th I had lost hope and then he gets caught two days later -- i mean really??) I knew that nothing bad could happen to my bun buns. And it didn't. They got neutered, and they did REALLY well. The thing that aggravated me is the vet only put hay in Tucker's cage and none in Gus's cage.. I noticed Tuck eating hay a little all night, but didn't see Gus eating anything, he was just sleepy... they didn't get out of surgery until later, and I'm positive they didn't give them food before hand, so I was afraid he went too long without food. I figured he was still real sleepy if he literally had just gotten out of surgery when I got there to pick him up, so I was trying not to freak... but I was very concerned. It all turned out well.. he ate overnight and he is doing amazing now. Tucker didn't have me worried at all..

Though, Tucker is being a big butt lately. He's still so cute & loving to me, but he's definitely throwing a temper tantrum. He's not happy he has to be locked up.. which is why I gotta figure out a good x-pen for him. I'd love it if they could both roam atleast half the room.. but ugh, I have to figure it out. I'll probably order the cubes that I was talking about before. Tucker is actually pooping out of his litter box now. Before Gus when Tuck had his whole room he'd have little kick outs, I guess I can't figure out if these are kick outs or if he's just pooping because he's mad, but theres a lot more poops out of his litter box.. and no pee. Though he basically splashes his bowl and gets water everywhere, too.. so his towel is always wet. But I always find pee in his litter box.

On the whole "bonding" note... the boys actually do pretty well sniffing through cages and everything.. I don't see anything aggressive at all. I think when the time comes they'll do really well with one another.

Wow, I can't believe he was found! That's fantastic!!! And what a great birthday present! That's great that you are keeping him, he looks like such a sweetheart and I love his coloring.

The pictures of Tucker are adorable! what you were saying about Tucker not being able to binky because it was hard floor gives me an idea, when I let my Ash out he only binkies on the rugs and not on the hard floor. And also once I took Ash outside in a pen and put towels on the ground and he started binkying when normally he doesn't binky in his pen. So maybe he just doesn't like binkying on hard floor.

Gus is adorable, and he looks like such a sweetheart! I hope he settles in to his new home well. He sounds like he is settling in nicely so far. Hopefully him and Tucker will bond nicely. :)

Yes, there are a lot of dandelions here too, Ash likes them. But a word of caution, I fed Ash some dandelions and he had mushy poo afterwards, maybe its because I gave him a few at once instead of slowly introducing them. I'm not sure, just sayin :p.

About the veggies, I don't really think about what I give Ash. Well for instance if I have some Parsley in the fridge and some carrots I give him maybe a little bit of carrots and a little bit of Parsley. sometimes I just give him only some carrot or only some Parsley. It doesn't really matter to me as long as its safe :p.

That, I felled over. picture is so sweet such an adorable bunny!

Oh and happy 25th birthday!!! :):woohoo:party::birthday:airborne:

Last edited:
Yay happy birthday and I haaaate photobucket. I just load everything straight from my phone. But then of course sometimes my pics go sideways upside down or just retarded. That's awesome you have a bunch of dandelions, lucky. Or unlucky? Bc they're weeds lol. I want to get my two a rug too bc they don't binky. Well Phoebe does but only when she has room, and she does bust her butt it's kinda funny.

@Katie, haha.. I guess "unlucky" to some people, but I don't care, I think they're pretty & they're obviously useful for my Bunny-boos!! I usually love photobucket, it seems to always work for me, but it's been acting up as of lately.. oh well. Definitely buy a rug, we have a store right down the road from us that does like discount store prices kind of... so it was like $60 for a 6 by 9, and it's perfect for our room. Tucker hasn't been chewing on it, aside from the little 'just checking it out' kind of nom. Gus I did see him take a big bite out of it, but I think he was kind of mad at me, but I'll keep watching, haha.

@Ilovemyrabbit - Thanks for the happy birthday! I got the day off work, so that was awesome.. I love days where I can just hang with my favorites. <3 (aka my animals) This so far has been the best birthday ever... just hearing that Luigi was caught was the best gift ever, then I decided to officially adopt him, and now THAT'S the best gift ever. I can't wait to have him here with me. You should also definitely try a rug, it has made a huge difference with my bun Tucker. And Gus also binkies too on it :D My bun's have been doing pretty good eating the dandelions, so far.. I only gave one to each of them the first day, and there was no mushy poops so I gave them one again, and then yesterday I gave them two each... and they're doing fine. :D

Question : Will Tucker and Gus stop making such crazy messes in their cage once their hormones calm down? Or am I gunna have to deal with this forever, haha. I need to get a better water bowl for Gus.. but Tucker is actually pooping all over his cage; and as mentioned above I believe it's more because he's mad about being locked up in his cage. I'm working on an x-pen idea for them so they have a little more time out of their cage while I bond them together.. Ugh he actually PEED on the floor next to Gus's cage, and he's NEVER peed on the floor before, he's always been pooping near Gus's cage, not peeing... this bunny. *shakes head*

Yeah, my dad owns a lawn service so we always get calls like help us get rid of these dandelions! I'm like ok I'm on it! And I went to the house and picked her dandelions! :)
Phoebe has been begging like crazy every morning when I give Buster his veggies so I usually give her one or two but I've been giving her more and she's adjusting so well and no bad poops! They all look great!

So I just had to catch up on your blog! I have so much I want to comment on so I'm going to go in points! haha.

1. Happy Belated Birthday! :)

2. I am so glad that Luigi was found safe and alive! That is SO amazing! Its so hard to find them sometimes. Once they go missing its usually impossible to find them, so I am so glad he was found. Thats pretty spectacular.

3. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the vets treating rescue people different. I've experienced it first hand! There is this group that does low cost spay/neuters and they cater to mostly rescues for dogs and cats but even if you're not a rescue you can still pay for them to do the surgery. Anyway, you have to email this one lady and you can't call the vets office that actually does it because the vet does it on the side. So you have to park in the front of the building and walk around back and you have to pay them in exact cash. Its weird. Its like some shady operation! Anyway, when you go get them in the afternoon, the lady who runs it is already gone so you have to talk to the receptionists and they're RUDE as hell. OMG super rude. I just took my last cat in there in like September and she was SO RUDE to me because he was a "rescue" cat and I didn't want to pay $200 for a neuter in their over priced office. She was rough with the kennel and everything. I mean, he is my barn cat so he's big and rough and tumble, but he just went through surgery! I don't have anymore cats to get spayed or neutered, but I think its the last time I'll take them to that place even if I do get another one. I just can't beat the $56 for a male and $65 for a female and they do shots and everything there. But they're all rude and no questions are answered and just ridiculous.

4. Tucker and Gus are adorable! How much does Gus weigh? That would tell you what kind of lop he is, either a holland if he's 3-4 lbs or a mini if he's 5-6 lbs. But he's really cute, but I do have a serious soft spot for lops. haha. That little Tucker is adorable! I love all the fur!

5. I don't know anything about bonding, Lisa and Jenny will be able to help you! hahah.

6. For pictures, I use tinypic. It makes the pictures the right size, so they aren't huge and they aren't thumbnail sized either. Tinypic is really easy to use.

I think thats it for now! I'll be looking for updates!

It's crazy how some vets treat rescues... I'll explain a little bit more right now. Since we foster kitties for this rescue, and we use this vet, they give us a great discount.. so I feel like they're not very compassionate... I think the way they are looking at things is like, "we won't spend a lot of time with you because we aren't making as much money while we're with you" kind of thing. I mean, that is all just me saying that, but it's the feeling I get. Personally, I wouldn't want or choose this vet as MY vet.. for my bunnies neutering I chose it because it was an option that didn't break my bank, but as far as a regular vet for my buns... this will NOT be the place.

The girl I know that works there, she said that the main vet, the vet that runs the place, and the only vet I've ever had the "pleasure" of meeting when I brought one of my foster cats in, kind of tells her staff to be crappy to rescue people.. you'd think if you were a vet because you loved animals you'd be ecstatic that there are people out there trying to save and help these babies... but apparently they're just .. excuse my language, douches.

The way it works with my rescue bringing anything to get surgeries, (cats, bunnies, whatever) is.. you have to either a) bring them in a have a heart trap, or b) bring them in a metal transfer cage that is similar to one.. without the trap part. Because most of the cats are feral strays and it's safer for all involved. So, that included my bunnies.. They had to be in these metal transfer cages... and my rescue guy basically told me before hand to make sure I had a towel covering all ends of it because if there were other cats they'd get fleas, etc. But basically you don't even TALK to anyone, you enter the vet, go up the stairs and place the cats/bunnies on this landing thats outside of the surgery room, and you place their paper work explaining what they are there to get done, what animal they are, what age, female or male, and then you leave. and then when you pick up you just go back there and take them, but they don't get out of surgery until like 4pm.. and we aren't allowed to pick up until after 5, which was fine with me because I had to work anyways. I left a huge bag of hay ontop of the cage along with the paper work... and wrote Tucker & GusGus on it, and even wrote "Rabbit 1 and Rabbit 2" and when I got to see my Tucker and GusGus.. TUCKER was the only one with the hay. I was mad.

Also, so what ended up happening because I was so anxious and I was at work, my mom lives closer to the clinic than I did, so she offered to pick them up. and then meeting me on the highway after work to exchange. They didn't even have their blankets that were in their cages when I dropped them off. I placed blankets because I didn't want them to slip and slide everywhere on the slippery cold metal. But then I heard that it was because they could suffocate. :| But they also didn't even give me the correct towels that were covering the bunnies to begin with! I was pissed because now we "changed" up their sheets and blankets with random cats, and I was concerned about the flea situation. ugh... anyways, it all ended up working out okay, but I don't think I'd wanna do it again.

Of course AFTER all of this, I am so relieved to have it all done and over with. Last night I got an email from one of the rabbit rescues I emailed through petfinder asking for help/assistance, and she had a great deal to offer me for an $80 neuter and this is with a vet that even does females, for like $100.. I was like You have GOT to be KIDDING me!! I would've felt a lot better with this vet, but it's okay.. it all worked out & we'll leave it at that.

Also, I had NOO idea that the mini lops are actually BIGGER than the lops itself? That's confusing!!! Gus weighed in at 4lbs at the vet last friday. Not sure if he's done growing or not yet either, he's about 10months.

If he weighs that at 10 months then he's probably a holland lop. They're a really popular pet breed of lop. Gus is really handsome though!

See it sounds like your experiences with the spaying and neutering were a bit shady too. I always felt weird coming out of there like I was doing something wrong dropping my cat off for a back ally neuter. haha. I can't believe that they gave the wrong blankets, I would be grossed out.

So Mini lops are bigger than lops? lol.. I'm confused, shouldn't it be the other way around? LOL. Do you think he's done growing? I think he's pretty handsome, but of course I'm a little biased here. d:

Definitely was shady.. like seriously shady. I also was worried that anyone could go upstairs and take my bunnies since even when picking up you don't talk to anyone.. :\ but obviously; that didn't happen.

I'm just having a hard time with all of this, probably because Tucker has never been locked up, I feel like he's extremely mad at me. I have two pens, but he is able to jump out of them SOMEHOW. And they are connected & don't come apart, so I can't even split the room into two with them, anyways... I think if I could atleast set up an x-pen for him side by side with Gus, they BOTH would be happier..

I have been thinking about ordering some interlocking shelves to use for them, and finally ordered some today. I hope I made a good choice, but we'll see.. if it doesn't work I'll just bring them back.. now I am anxious to get them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-6pk-Modular-Mesh-Storage-Cubes/17108697

I ordered two of those ^ .. Not sure if I'll need two, or if it'll even work, esp if Tuckers a CLIMBER and not a jumper like I thought haha.. we'll see.

I really hope that 1) I chose the right one 2) that they're gunna work well with my two. :|

I absolutely HATE doing seperate play time for them, Tucker throws a tantrum every single time he's locked up.. and even like 100x worse when Gus is running around... Last night though GusGus laid down next to Tuck's cage.. and Tuck was up on his shelf and he actually flopped down, too!! Usually it's GUS that's laying and Tucker trying to get at him.. They sniff through their cages just fine, and Tucker hasn't tried biting him... but he does bite his cage a LOT when he's locked up. So it's hard to tell...

d:

I don't really mind what breed GusGus is either way.. It's just nice to KNOW, haha if he weighs more than 5 then he's a mini, if less than he's a holland.. either way he's a cutie with a booooty. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, the whole mini lop thing is confusing. You would expect them to be the smallest lop breed cause of their name.

I don't know if this was already suggested, but you can zip tie or tape cardboard or posterboard, near the top of the xpen panels, then if he is climbing the top part, the smooth board will stop him from being able to climb out. Also, if you post a pic of your pens and how they are connected, we might be able to give you some ideas on how to disconnect them and use them to separate the room with.

If you end up keeping the storage cubes, just make sure that you got the ones with the small 1 inch squares. Some of the new sets from a few of the stores, have some panels with really large squares, that little buns can get out through, or get their heads stuck in.

Jenny! You are so right, I didn't even think of that!!! SO now...... I can't even cancel my order of those ones I just ordered but they definitely have like a 2 inch square.. sooo... I ordered the other ones, AND I am going to return the one I ordered that has 2inch squares. Thank you! You could've just saved my Tucker's life!

I will post pictures of the pen I own now.. I'm just thinking he is actually JUMPING out somehow... super bunny. :p

Latest posts

Back