The adventures of Tuck...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest thing is.. I need to know if it's okay to let Tucker spazz in his cage while the cat/dog is on the outside of the cage... if Tucker will just eventually calm down and teach him to get used to them?

Yeah, all these websites which I've seemed to have already read.. doesn't say anything about if the bunny is freaking out.. :\

I will hold off for a little while with the meeting of the other animals, I just am so anxious to let them all spend time together, it's so hard on me trying to split my time all the time, you know? :\

Anyways, tonight I am sitting in Tuckers pen and he has done binkies in his cage and has sniffed me and taken treats from me, but hasn't been cuddling like he usually does.. he doesn't like me tonight :( I'm bummed.

Don't be bummed! Babies tend to be a little flaky! Ellie is like that still. Today, she has been totally in love with me, every time I walk into the kitchen she is right on my heels, she's standing up against my legs for me to love her. But tomorrow that could all change, she could be like she was a few days ago; she didn't want anything to do with me. haha. It changes day by day. I think its like that with most bunnies.

But it IS really nice when they're in love with you. hahaha.

I guess it's just really disappointing because aside from the first day he has been wicked cuddley and all about me, he still let me pick him up and cuddle him, he did actually come over and hang with me for a little bit after I posted that little update, so I was pleased with that. I am going to try working on clicker training him, thanks to @Katielovesleo3! haha. I just need to find a good treat that'll work for him.

Also, just went outside int his wonderful snow storm... OMG the wind and the snow is crazy! I have a mountain cur, he is around 45 to 50lbs, he can be hyper and a little crazy, haha.. but he came all the way from florida, we got him this past august... then we have Tinka, who we've had for over a year now. We got her Dec, 2011. & She is a chihuahua mix, she is approximately 12lbs, and she is getting LOST in the snow.. and it's not even over. I am anxious to see what it's like tomorrow! Although, we haven't even shoveled at all.. we may be asking for it. My other half's brother is coming tomorrow with a snow blower since ours is broken. I was hoping this would've come during the week so I could get a couple of days off of work, or atleast a half day off and a full day off.. can't you tell I love long weekends? haha.

Anyways, on a side note, as I was leaving Tucker and I came back to finish getting my stuff out of his pen (Like my laptop - cup of soda, etc) my small kitten Ramona sneaked in the bunny room to see Tucker... and I decided to just give it a go.. He surprisingly wasn't as bad as he had been before. I am so proud of him! So... Ramona went up to the pen and he came up to the pen to see her, and they sniffed eachother then both got scared at the same time! They ran away from one another, then... get this! Ramona was hanging way back not wanting to see Tucker and he was trying his hardest to come see her! It was almost as if he wasn't afraid of her at all, he was sticking his nose and his little paws right through the pen! I was so so proud of him!

We also tried cucumber for the first time, I thought it'd be a good treat to do the clicker training with.. he liked it but not enough :p

Last edited:
A good treat is to use their pellets. Or for us a cut up a petite baby carrot into teeny tiny pieces and just a little nibble is perfect for treats bc they chew them up real fast and you can maintain a high rate of reinforcement. I trained a very rambunctious dalmation puppy and had to block off Busters room for a while. But now he has free range but only likes to stay in his room mainly. I also gave him many hiding places so he can Escapayyyy!

I saw Massachussetts on CNN! Man y'all are getting hammered! Looks like you will be staying home from work this week lol

No way, we have sunday to recover.. ugh haha. It's still snowing pretty **** good here, too.. and we had like 3 feet when I woke up!

I figured maybe I should kind of introduce my other animals, since they are a big part of my life and maybe share their stories with you, as well. (Sorry if you're not kitty or doggy lovers, but I love love love all my babies.. and love talking about them, as well..

I'll start off with my first, and go in order. When I was in highschool, I used to volunteer for a feline shelter by my house, and when I was there... this one cat would follow me from room to room, he would even jump from the floor up into my arms, or from a cat tree into my arms.. and it was only me that he would do it to. His name is Eechy... and he was around 2 and a half when I got him, which was probably about 7 or 8 years ago. He's about 10 or older now. Hard to keep track... but I convinced my Mom and (now ex)stepdad to get him for me for christmas. Boy that cat had us fooled! He was SO sweet at the shelter, would suck on my shirt and need me with his paws, I mean he still does that but BOY is he grumpy. You can't pet him anywhere past his shoulders... or he'll bite! Haha and he only wants to be petted when HE wants to be petted. Eh.. anyways I still love him. He's always been really nice to me, but he has issues with everyone else.. though as he has gotten a little older (and once he met my kittens) he has been... I hate to admit it, acting kind of HAPPY... wow! It's been over 2 and a half years now though that he's kind of changed for the better.. still not exactly sure what or why... but here's a picture of my grumpy mcgrumperson.

IMG_1155_zps9a923760.jpg

Then came our two kitties named Boogeyman and Sophie.. Mike (other half) had a cat named Lily who ended up being crazy about going outside, and so we caved but asked roommates not to let her out at night, and our roommates were VERY polite... *headshake* NOT. And didn't listen to our one rule about keeping her inside the house at night and let her out one night at 2 or 3am... and we never saw her again. Don't know what happened to her. I wasn't living with them at the time, but saw her enough and was dating Mike when she came in the picture, so I was very heartbroken. Mike mentioned that he wanted to get another cat, and I told him that he should get two, because that way they'll keep eachother company and not want to go outside. It ended up working... we searched craigslist and found these two kittens, went and met the lady, she promised us them, we were excited, even bought a kitten book & picked out names. We specifically wanted a orange tabby, and weren't very specific about the other.. She emailed us saying she promised the orange tabby to a more "stable" family, because they had a child... are you kidding me? Thanks a lot. So.. we searched again. My aunt told me at her vets they had orange tabby kittens, so I went and checked it out. Sure enough they had 3 orange tabbies and 2 "flame points" but they were all from the same litter. This is not a shelter, but a rescue who runs only off foster homes and rents a cage at the vet to give their cats a little more exposure. I called the lady a few times, and when she got back to me we knew it was meant to be.. So we adopted our Boogeyman and our Sophie.

BooampDoo1-1_zpse189dba1.jpg

After we got the kittens together there was absolutely NO way I wasn't going to be moving in and spending a ton of time with my babies, of course .. I was already there almost every day as it was. So, we moved in together.. and a year or so later, we were thinking how much we'd want a dog. We go to our camp a lot in New Hampshire, and we decided we have the perfect, and I mean perfect lifestyle to own a dog. We were going to wait until we bought a house because we were saving up for that and our roommates absolutely did NOT want a dog at the house.. but we wanted puppy fixes, or maybe I just did, so we would check out a local shelter often... and one sunday when we went there were like NO dogs there but maybe a few, and one of the ones that were left was a little tiny chihuahua named Louie.. I felt so so bad for him, but he was the only one really left because it was sunday.. haha. Anyways I fell inlove with him and talked Mike into it. It was around christmas time and I told him if my family gave me enough money to come up with the adoption fee it'd be like he was just my christmas gift... we went back the next day to adopt him and found out he is aggressive with other animals, and we really wanted a dog that would be able to go to the dog park, etc.. and really enjoy life with, so we looked around a little.. Meanwhile we told our roomies that we were going to be petsitting, but were already planning on adopting and moving out the next month to my Moms to pay less rent and save more money for our house. We found "Fluffy" aka my sweet little Tinka, and there was no saying no to her. The second she was brought into the room we were in it was love... she ran and jumped right into my lap and curled into a ball. It was a big decision to make and we are so GLAD that we made it. I couldn't picture my life without her!
Mind you, we aren't small dog people at all.. totally only wanted a big dog or two. But we are smitten with her, and a lot of people who hate little dogs are ALSO inlove with her.. just something about her. <3
Tinka02_zpsd1200043.jpg

While we were saving up for our new home, I was always browsing around. We knew we wanted a big dog, and Mike wanted to pick out the next dog, but we LOVE brindle dogs, and I can't even remember how I came across this lady in Florida who had my dog Stubbie, but we did and she promised to hold him for me. Sylvia is such a sweet lady, she went to this kill shelter and asked which dogs were on the euthanasia list for the day, and Stubbie was one of them. She couldn't let that happen, she took him home and adopted him and paid for everything out of her own pocket, she had him for 8months and had him up for adoption but she wasn't pushing him out her door, she really wanted to keep him but she was living in a place with her elderly parents because they needed her help. Anyways, we worked out transportation and got him up to virginia, and we went and met him there. Long road trip but well worth it, we love our boy. He is a perfect fit here. <3
Stubbie01_zps1a64e272.jpg

Then we have sweet little Ramona... we acquired her through our first batch of foster kittens. Haha.. She is TROUBLE. I told myself we weren't going to keep one, but as Mike says, I always have some kind of crazy reasoning. This time it was because it would make an even amount of pets (six) and 3 would be girls, and 3 would be boys, and there were 2 dogs and now 4 cats.. all even, or split in half. haha... but she is so adorable, just kind of wish sometimes that she wasn't so cheeky. I should've known.. she is a kitten after all. My two other cats JUST got out of their kitten stage, but now I welcomed another. Haha.. I love her. But next time we foster... they're ALL leaving, and maybe taking her with them! haha justtt kidding.

Ramona4-1_zps1c244ca6.jpg

And now we have 7 pets... because we took in our Tucker. <3
photo_zps1ac71480.jpg

I'll end this here with a cute video of Tucker checking out the bathroom,

[ame="http://youtu.be/4gkW29l74mY"]http://youtu.be/4gkW29l74mY[/ame]

I love your animal stories! I also have cats and did have a dog, and I have chickens and a rabbit. So I know what its like to have a lot of animals.
Your Ramona cat looks like my old lady torti- Smedley.

You´ve got quite a houseful and they´re all so different. Ramona is so sweet, she looks just like a cat my friend had years ago now, I just love that colouring.

My life pretty much revolves around my animals, and I truly love it this way. They are all loved and taken care of very well, I couldn't imagine my life without any of them.

Ramona is very very cute and CAN be sweet, but mostly she is just trouble trouble trouble. Sometimes I ask myself why I decided to keep a kitten! haha. She is the one I am slowly working on Tucker becoming friends with, haha.. they seem to be doing pretty good, been doing a couple little spurts every day to see how it goes. But man, she can be trouble!!! Haha... my other two, Boogey and Sophie JUST got out of kitten stage and then I decided to keep her, I think I was crazy!! haha. No really though .. I do love her, and wouldn't want her with anyone else.

My mom kept one of the other kittens that I fell inlove with from the batch, I named her Rascal, my mom renamed her Misty, haha, she is also a trouble maker! IT was hard for me to decide between Ramona and Rascal when they were here with me, so Mike got to choose.. and he chose Ramona because of her coloring.

Anyways, hanging in the pen with Tucker, he did some cute little running around and happy squirts, but now he's chilling by his dish in his cage, I think he wants his parsley and basil, so I should go get him that.. that or he is totally not inerested in his Mum anymore :(

What are some ways you guys interact with your bunnies? Fun things to do.. he's making me think strongly of getting him a friend, I feel like he's bored haha

I just sit in the floor with Ellie and fill her toy thing up with treats and watch her figure it out. I let her climb all over me and dig at my pants. She's isn't much of cuddle bun, but she lets my husband pick her up and carry her around. haha. I give her lots of toys and boxes to play with, so I don't think she's bored.
But you have to remember with buns that, they're most active in the morning and at night. So during the day if you go sit in the pen with Tucker, he may only do a little bit of playing and then go back to take a nap. Thats how Ellie is. Some other peoples buns are total carpet lumps during the day and can't even be bothered to get up to say hello. Half the time Ellie is like that. I walk into the kitchen and she perks and ear up and looks at me to make sure its me, stretches and lays back down. hahaha.
I'm sure he's not bored, he's just showing who he really is! Probably a lump like the rest of our buns.

I try and spend some time on the floor with them every day and they usually come round and have a sniff and a climb on me and come for food if I have it. They´ll let me stroke them and they lick me and pull at my clothes and groom but I usually do this at night as they´re more active. They usually just lie about or meatloaf in the afternoon so I don´t even know where they are half the time.

I cleaned out their cage today and thought I´d tidy them up as well so I cut all their nails and groomed them all and they were all quite well behaved. Bandy struggles more but, in the end, even he decided that I was going to do it and sat nice and quiet.

They also come up and see me on the sofa when they´re out and they jump across me, have a look a the laptop and give me a few kisses even.

All of the animals are gorgeous. :nod
Thumper will run around for a short time in the morning. Most of the day he spends laying around being a lump. In the evening he gets very active. I am sure you will over time find the ways that your bun likes to interact.

Thump likes to play chase he will run around in small circles with me chasing. When I get too dizzy then I will start running from one side of the room to the other and he chases me. When one of us gets tired then we stop and I pet him. I would have never thought a bunny would enjoy playing chase but he does. If I clap he stands up on his back legs and shivers and when I laugh he will binky.

I didn't have much trouble introducing my dog to Thump. Thumper doesn't scare to much and usually he's over it very quickly but I do have up baby gates to Thumps room so for a week he got to see the dog and hear him before I ever let the dog into the room. Maybe it would help if you put something that smells like the cats and dogs in your buns pen with him. That way he can get used to the smell before they are around him and moving around. I wouldn't put anything in his cage since that should be his safe place but place it in his pen outside the cage. I would watch closely to see how he reacts. After some time then I would probably let the most calm of animals in the same room for a short period supervised. If your bun doesn't get scared then I would slowly increase the time and introduce the other animals but only one at a time. Eventually when the bun is comfortable have more than one in at a time.

I am a big animal lover, I can't help but rescue all my babies.. I could take in so much more, but theres only so much my other half will take, and also that my bank will take. I need a better paying job, but hey... who doesn't right?? I would love to work with animals, but it's so hard to get into...

@Agnesthelion -- Tinka is actually a chihuahua mix, we aren't sure exactly what she is mixed with, BUT, she could very well be mixed with a papillion, we thought she looked similar to one as well, and a lot of other people think so, too. But, who knows. We love her either way, and aren't too stuck on what breed she is. I know some people are really stuck on their dogs and if they don't know their mix will get the DNA testing done because they just have to know. I'm not sure how much I trust them, to be honest.

The thing with Tucker that gets me bummed, or rather makes me think he doesn't want to hang with me, is that every time I come into the room to check him out he's up an about, mostly by his food dish, etc... and then when I sit in the pen he'll do his own thing in his cage or whatever. (well that's what he's been like the last couple of times) I am in his pen right now and he is hopping around and exploring a bit more right now. Not really interacting much with me besides just letting me pet him. :p Oh well. He doesn't seem to just FLOP all afternoon .. not yet anyways. it's okay I still love him, I just don't want him to be bored. I put some newspaper in his cage and I think he likes it

Since Ramona (the youngest cat) snuck in the room and he wasn't spazzing as much I've been letting them spend a little time together, one on on, getting used to one another, and it has seemed to be going okay for the most part.

So, we do training classes with our dog Stubbie every sunday. (He has 2 more left) after we did our class, we went to the grocery store to get some ingredients so I could make some dog treats, and some bunny treats.

Ugh, it was such a sticky mess..
Treats03_zps4a2eeb21.jpg

Going in the oven...
Treats02_zps3495af5b.jpg

Baking in the oven...
Treats01_zpsacde9048.jpg

All finished..
Tuckertreats_zpsffd6f3c8.jpg

Tucker taste testing it... (video) Sorry it's dark!
[ame]http://youtu.be/GtrnnDWdONw[/ame]

As you can see, he did take some, but he wasn't a huge fan... BUMMER! I put a ton of work into it.

And a picture of him doing some nom nom on his treat..
Tucker19_zps6349ca85.jpg

I'll move on to tell you the dog treats I made were a huge success!! (Of course they were, they're dogs!!)
Here are the before & after shots
Dogtreats01_zps277aadeb.jpg

Dogtreats02_zps9f43845f.jpg

And a cute video of my two doggies enjoying their treats
[ame]http://youtu.be/n6jct4ZFlLs[/ame]

I think this was a little too much cute for one update, haha. I'll leave it at that.. I am hoping Tucker will come out and play with me !!!

Update: Nope.. instead he plopped down by his food dish. what a butthead. aaha.. I thought we were doing so good and now he has been antisocial with me besides when I pick him up to cuddle me.

Latest posts

Back