The adventures of Tuck...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess what is kind of bumming me out is, I completely understand that bunnies aren't like cats and dogs that are all begging for attention, etc, but I almost feel like with Tucker we have gone backwards in just a week... :(

He used to come right up to me hop in my lap and ask for cuddles, I don't know if I scared him with trying the clicker training too soon? Or.. I really have no idea.

But when I used to sit in his pen he'd come right over me, now he hides under his ramp of his cage (which is like a little cave).. In the beginning he used to "run" from me and hide, but as time went on he started being really good and not doing that and I could come in and feed him and he'd take his veggies from my hands, and then now this morning he ran and hid in his little cave instead of taking his veggies from me.. Idk. I'll just have to take it slow and see... I can't tell what he likes to do and stuff yet :(

You've only had him for a little while, I think his behavior is probably pretty normal. Ellie was like that for a bit too, she would run when I came over to say hello. It took her a few weeks to become used to me coming over to bother her, then she had to get used to the washing machine and the dryer, then all the animals coming to say hello to me coming to say hello to her. haha.

Just be patient and he'll start to come to you again. He's only a baby and he might be a little scared because to him you're just this big cumbersome human and hes tiny ball of fluff. And a prey animal. It just takes a few weeks for them to really get used to you and really love you. Now, Ellie stalks me in the kitchen. haha.

Yes I agree with Morgan you've only had him for a short while. He will come around :)
And you actually might want to go a bit slower with things. Some suggest, upon bringing a new bunny home, to not even get them out of their cage or interact with them at ALL for a few days! This is to let bunny first feel secure in their new cage and get used to sounds/sights/smells of their new home. Tucker has already spazzed (as you said) in his cage upon being introduced to your other furry friends and been clicker trained and handled alot. So he may be regressing just because of overstimulation and lots going on for him so soon.
When you do hang out with him now, keep things quiet, just sit with him and ignore him, let hum come up to you on his own time. Don't reach out and try to pick him up or pet alot just yet. Let him build some trust again.
And again, don't worry, Tucker is not being out of the norm at all! It can take months for a rabbit to truly trust and bond with you. He is still young and new in his home so this is all very normal :)

Now that Lisa mentions it, I left Ellie in her cage for the first few days. I cheated though, I picked her up and held for about 30 minutes a day, and put her on the couch with me so she could still roam on the couch and come to me when she wanted. We did that for a week or so. Then after my other rabbit passed away, I would let her out for a few minutes while I was sitting there. She was so tiny she could fit into the smallest places that I never had to worry about with my other rabbit. I think it as like 2 weeks or so of having her before she could be out of her cage by herself. Then I would leave her out for a few hours, we worked up to about 12 hours of free time, then we worked up to 24 hours out by herself. Now she hasn't been in her cage for like 2 weeks and she does just fine because she has plenty of places to hide and get away from cats and me.
But it was all a slow process. Just a little more everyday, very gradually.

Like I said before, hes acting completely normally. Don't worry.

With everything you guys just said then I would say he's actually doing very well! He does still come up to me and let me pet him and everything.. he comes to me more than I go to him, so I think he's actually doing real well and you just made me feel a lot better! :)

I will stop with the clicker training, and will start that up a little later... prob in a month or so, give him some time. He is doing really well spending a little bit of time a day with Ramona, I think I am going to still work on that. She is more afraid of him at this point. Kind of silly.

Anyways, thanks guys!! I hope you enjoyed my pics and the videos :)

Your rabbit treats and dog treats looked good...you know, if you're an animal! haha. I've made cookies for a rabbit before and weekly I make 'cakes' for my chickens.
What did you use in your rabbit treats? When I made them, I put squash baby food, raisins, apple sauce, pellets and water? I think. They were really sticky too. Ew.

This recipe said to use pumpkin but I bought the wrong pumpkin, so I used unsweetened apple sauce, banana, honey, flax seed, rolled oats and his pellets. He did nom it up once I left it in his cage over night.. he did chew a couple of good bites off of it while I gave it to him, too, but then he ended up not being so interested.

I was worried because that was a lot of new things but he seems to be doing good.

I am amazed at how much this bunny boy poops!! holy moly!! haha.. I am also excited to do the whole baking of dog cookies, it's cheaper! and healthier (i think) I made their cookies with apple sauce, and peanut butter.. so many other recipes I want to check out, though!! They absolutely LOVED their cookies!! As you could see in the video above :)

I love the pics and the video. I just love Stubbies face looking at you and you´re talking and he´s saying " hey, just shut up and give the darn treat", he just looked so funny. And Tucker, well, rabbits are a lot more cautious and seeing him taking it in the end is a good result. They looked really good so wondered what was in the rabbit ones, I don´t have a dog any more.

Agree with Morgan and Lisa, just take it slow. I also spend time on the floor and lie down or just sit there and they do come over and climb on me and sniff, like and pull. Sometimes, I´ll pet them but sometimes, I´ll just let them be so they don´t get scared and run off. I´m just happy that they approach me and spend time with me. Same when I´m on the sofa, all of them will jump up and climb all over me and annoy me most of the time but I love that they do it. Give Tucker time, he´s only young and he´s learning new things all the time. He is such a cutie though.

:) Hi, everyone.. it's been a couple of days since I've posted a little update -- SORRY! Been a little busy, of course that happens with me and my zoo. My papa (great grandfather) is turning 102 TOMORROW. So crazy! He's in real good health besides a fractured hip he acquired bowling a couple of years ago. He still drives and still bowls (candle-pin) I'd say that's a pretty great success!

:hello

So, driving to work today was crazy! Literally all the crazy people were out and trying to kill me.. I hate when I run into all of the idiots, it stresses me out and makes me not want to drive again ever! But, alas, here I am... and I'll be leaving in a couple of hours to drive on home, too. I used to walk my dogs every single day before work, but where it's been cold and everything (the huge mounds of snow make it hard to walk on the sidewalks, too) I have been slacking big time. Now I'll walk them randomly, which is kind of sucky because they deserve so much more. Tinka (my little chi mix) could care less, but she does enjoy the walks.. Stubbie goes CRAZY for walks, haha.. and so he makes me feel horrible that I don't take him, esp whenever I get my shoes on or my jacket he goes INSANE. So I am trying to atleast take them when I get home from work... the other day I walked them around my neighborhood, not a long walk, but it's so hard because it's so ICEY and slippery out, and not everyone shoveled their sidewalks so I'm in the road and on the sidewalk then back to the road, like back and forth and I don't feel safe, you know?? Anyways, it's WICKED nice out today and I'm hoping some of the snow is melting.... even tho I love it! I'll be taking the babies for a walk tonight no matter what! <3

I don't know if I told you guys yet, but we foster animals, too. Yes, in my zoo, we help the babies that need a temporary place to stay before they find their forever homes <3 We fostered a batch of kittens, and that's how we came with Ramona. Then, we fostered a dog named Hazen.. he was a pit chocolate lab mix, sweet and very lovable, but he needed some good training.. he counter surfs, which was so so annoying, he'd basically eat our food right off the counter, even if it was left there for JUST a second. But my Stubbie and him were the best of friends, and Tinka liked him, too... but she liked him more towards the end.. she never had any issues with him but started actually playing with him before he went to his forever home. Now we are back to fostering some kitties... we should be getting them tomorrow night..
-Side Note: The rescue I fostered the dog for, I wasn't very impressed with. I actually was the one to find the dog it's home, they didn't do ANYTHING in regards to getting the dog more exposure, and they even thought that the foster home should be taking care of buying the flea and tick stuff, and the heartworm preventative... which is expensive, and to me ... NOT acceptable. I can only imagine how many other dogs go without their monthly preventatives. But the kitty rescue I foster for is a wonderful organization that I am very happy to help, AND they're local, so that helps, too. I deal with the person face to face.. and they take care of everything, even food, which is wonderful. I am very very happy with this rescue and will prob. continue forever to foster for them. Cats are also a little easier to foster than dogs, but we wanted to switch on and off do cats and then do dogs, then back to cats.. in the summer time it's going to be a little harder, we will figure it out, obviously.
The kitties that are coming to us tomorrow night are coming from a kill shelter in North Carolina, getting transported up here. They look a little nervous, which I would be too in a shelter like that, I'm hoping I can warm them up and get them to be friendly and loving. It just may take some time. I'm gunna be one busy girl.

Anyways, Tucker is doing very well. My dad (who I don't see very often & am not that close with) came over the other night and met him. He bought me a pen off craigslist that I can use when I have him out and about if I need to, or up at our camp this summer when he comes with us. So he came over to my house and met Tucker for the first time -- and Tucker amazed me. He is always a little weary of new people but he did VERY very well!! He let my Dad hold him and he wasn't frozen in one spot. He also has been making a ton of improvement with me, too. I noticed he's pooping a little more outside of his cage, but NO peeing, only peeing inside his cage from what I can see/tell. :)

Another side note --- I keep thinking how I want to get him a friend, and esp more so when I see little baby bunnies, but I have decided that he is enough for now, whether it be for a couple of years or for his whole life time. Even though I really really wanted a lopped ear bun bun.. I'll get over it. I want him to bond with my cats and have fun with my dogs and everything, and I think eventually we can get there.. hopefully.

On another note; I am applying for a certificate to get him neutered for cheaper, because all the places I have here in my area are 300+ to get him neutered, if I get this certificate it'll be $80. :p
We'll see.. crossing my fingers.

Anyways, I'll post some pics later on. Long weekend, no wonder today at work is NUTS!!! Hope everyone is doing well, <3.

So some good news and some bad news.. the 3 kitties we are going to be fostering were on their transport yesterday, and two of them did just fine, but one escaped and is now loose in Richmond, Virginia... ugh. Breaks my heart.. We got the other two cuties today, but Luigi is still out there. Last night he went in a trap they set up for him but he got out and it never shut on him completely.. bummed about that. Hoping tonight he'll be trapped. Worried sick about him. The other two are nervous nellies, one more than the other, but with some proper time spent with them I think they'll do just fine, too. If Luigi is caught he'll be joining us at a later date...

Anyways, Tucker has been doing real well meeting my kitties, by the way :) Here are some pictures.
Tucker24_zps28c6e506.jpg

Tucker25_zps0ae8cc3d.jpg

and then some cuteness of him.
Tucker23_zps627fba56.jpg

Tucker21_zpsbef535ed.jpg

Tucker22_zpsee1ab272.jpg

Tucker20_zpsfba158fa.jpg

enjoy!

Tucker is such a sweetie and I love the cat in his cage having a look around. Sorry to hear about Luigi and so do hope they can find him and bring him back to you, I´d hate anything to happen to him. I just love the third picture of him looking out of his cage, he´s got such a lovely coat.

I forgot to tell you guys the best most cutest thing!! -- Tucker has started giving me kisses!! I think he loves me, I think he really does <3

Of course he loves you! You're his mama!

I'm really sorry you lost that one kitty. I would be devastated. Totally beside myself. That really sucks.

The pictures of him and the cat are adorable! I would watch out though, sometimes my cats like to poop in Ellie's litter box. So watch them, for some reason my cats love the hay on the litter and they like to poop in the hay. Silly cats.
He looks pretty happy around them though and doesn't look like he's too scared. Ellie likes to chase the cats around now.

Aww he is so sweet! That is great he is kissing you. Definetly a sign of love :)

Ugh, so of course I have been missing for quite a while & I am SO so sorry!! I am back now, with some good news, and of course some bad news.. and some new questions & advice to ask you guys of!! ... First off, bad news is... in the last post I posted I mentioned how on transport they lost one of my kitties that were being transported to me, oh.. he's STILL missing in Virginia. I am infuriated, I think what kind of got me going crazy and not being around so much was because I was dedicating all of my time to finding him and pouring everything I had into the search... but he is still missing, and I have almost lost all of my hope in finding him at this point. Ugh.

I am only going to do just a quick update, as I am at work, but I will be doing a bit more tonight, (I think)..

So, the GOOD news is... we got another bunnyyyy!! (I know I know.. crazy crazy person I am.) The biggest thing is.. before I got Tucker and I had my other bunny, I had always wanted a floppy eared bunny... but then my other bun died, and I wasn't planning on getting another bunny.. but then I wanted one and we found Tucker and I was inlove. Now, I ALWAYS browse on craigslist, hence how I got Tucker to begin with.. and I saw someone offering a free bunny and kind of how I got Tucker, I was a sucker and couldn't say no, I wanted to save it... I had seen this bunny posted a few times before, so I felt soo soo bad for it. I contacted the lady and decided to give it a go! We just got him last night.. Yes, I said him. :| am I asking for trouble here??

This one IS a flopped ear bunny.. I don't know the difference between floppy eared bunnies.. breed wise, but I do know he's cute. He was very neglected, I mean not to the point where he's terrified of me, or skinny, but he was left alone at a house (with a person who was his caregiver and didn't like him) since December!! I am so devastated, the poor boy! And he never even had hay before! Meaning obviously he wasn't even taken care of right in the first place!!! >.< Makes me so so mad! (And I'm sure it'll make you guys mad too!!) He is scared, and has become shy because of the lack of attention, but he isn't that bad at all. He was in Foxboro, MA, which was pretty far for me... I am in Peabody, MA, about 30 to 40 mins away from Boston (Yes, close to where everything happened... :( but we're all okay over here) When I GPS'd where he was I got 1hr and 10mins away, but of course we left right after work yesterday & I was stuck in traffic.. it took us just about 2 hours to get him, then of course our ride home. I wasn't home til about 9pm.. then I had to get him all situated and also take care of my lovely zoo, too. :\ It was busy and I didn't get to get much time with him. I don't have a name for him yet, he was named Thumper. *(I also just realized I should probably check to make sure he is actually a HE)*

So, yes, I know to keep my bun's seperate right now. They are both unneutered.. the good news is I set up appointments to get them neutered already, it is going to be going on... FRIDAY! I am a nervous wreck. This is my first time having such small animals go under anesthesia besides my kitten who was young when she got spayed. And then they'll be seperate for 3 to 4 weeks and then I can slowly start introducing them and try bonding them.. but I have a ton of questions;

First off I actually feel bad because when reading Katie's blog with Buster & Phoebe you all mentioned how it's bad to let one roam and leave the other in a cage, and OF COURSE I didn't know that, so little Tucker is roaming around right now & my new guy is in his cage (on a desk away from the floor so Tucker can't even get at him) probably sulking while Tucker is like "I WIN I'M the BEST!!!" That little butthead!! I feel horrid now, my poor new bun bun. (I am liking the name Gus Gus for him right now, we'll see)

My biggest issue is, Tucker has his own room now. Because I tried the whole pen thing, and even though he is very small, he kept escaping!! And then he couldn't get back in, so he'd have accidents (never anywhere bad, he was always so good about it) but he'd also be away from his food and his water (along with his litterbox) and I felt bad, so I just took the pen away since nothing else is in that room anyways! But now of course I run into an issue while I am doing this bonding process.. I am debating on what to do, what do you guys think? Should I put my new guy's cage on the ground next to one another, and start locking Tucker up all the time now and let him out for some time afterwards? I just don't know what to do afterwards because Idk how I can seperate their roam times in that room, etc.. help!!

Also I am worried sick now about getting them fixed because of course I am a huge worry wart.... the biggest thing is.. I can't actually like TALK to the vet.. because the rescue I foster for uses this one vet, and they only take in cats (the rescue) but the vet that they use does do male rabbit neutering (not females), and so my rescue I foster for is able to get me a good discounted price. The issue is, around here to get a bunny neutered (I posted this earlier) it's close to 300 and even one estimate I had was close to 400.. I think that's NUTS. I know it's more about the safety of my bunnies than it is about money, but this place says they can do a male neuter rabbit, because they've DONE it before, obviously, and it IS something they offer. My rescue wouldn't use this vet if they weren't good vets, and there is a lady who I know and am close to, I completely trust her judgement, she works there part time and has complete faith in them, she also brings her ferrets and her cats there. Her ferret has had a surgery there before, too. But basically people on this group on facebook that are "bunny experts" are basically making me crazy!! AHH!!!

Anyways, I know that it's important to have a rabbit savvy vet, but I also do not think that a licensed vet is going to say they'll do it if they haven't ever done it before, the last thing they want to do is hurt animals!!!

So, it's not the vet that said anything; I am on facebook and a part of a group called "Bunny Talk" on there, they are all very nice people, BUT they all are "bunny experts" and basically they had me very very concerned.

The issue at hand is, I know this might sound bad and this is probably why I felt people were attacking me... is that I basically have to pretend I am a foster for these two rabbits that my rescue just took in and found in order to get the discount price, and as I had said before, if I had to I would pay a ton of money, but of course everyone is hard of money and we are all trying to save a few dollars, so if I can save literally hundreds of dollars to get these guys neutered - of course I am going to do it.

I have had to take a couple of my foster cats to this vet and they are very abrupt and almost kind of don't listen or talk to you all that much, (none of the things I brought the cats there for were serious) but apparently they are very quick with rescue people. I don't know why, but one of my friends works there and she said that for some reason the owner told everyone to be that way to "rescue" people... like as if she has something against rescue people. My friend said if I went there as a regular client then I'd see a whole different situation and whatever. I mean I know they know what they are doing and that is what is important. But the hardest thing is I am technically not allowed to ask many questions when I go there, it's basically just "yep" and listen to them, and thats about it.. answer any questions they may have, I think the biggest thing is my rescue guy doesn't want an emotional foster mom (with the cats) being too much for the vet to handle and to deal with, yanno? So.. with the bunnies I am basically going to have to do that, too... BUT obviously when I pick them up I will be asking what to do care wise etc for them.

The biggest thing is the girl I know that works there, I trust, and I do trust her recommendation of them, and I do know she wouldn't work there if she didn't believe them to be good, and I also know that my rescue wouldn't use them if they weren't good vets. The biggest thing is... she doesn't have a rabbit, and they aren't a rabbit rescue. So no, I do not think that they are amazing rabbit vets, but I DO think they can get the job done and it'll go smoothly, I do trust them in that.. or I would in no way be doing it. But of course you're always worried and concerned.

I am so VERY glad that you mentioned that your vet said that there is no bigger risk than a cat or a dog, so that is pretty exciting. :) Thank you for that, it does give me a ton of reassurance, because I have just kind of felt that way due to the people I have talked to on FB about the surgeries, etc.

My other thing is, I DO not feel like this vet would tell me they'd do the surgery if they hadn't done it before or didn't have experience in it. All my rescue did was ask if they spayed/neutered rabbits, and they told him they do neuter rabbits, only males, not females. (Now again- this sounds like they obv. aren't experienced, I understand that..) But I only have males, and they DO know how to do them, so that's fine with me. Maybe I'm crazy? I don't know but I do feel like I need to stop worrying and just let them do their job. I honestly know they do surgeries on even FERRETS !! which I feel like if they can do that, they can definitely handle a bunny!

Am I worrying over nothing? I think so..

ANYONE have any ideas on a higher pen option so that Tucker my basketball player can't get out? I'd just seperate the room for the boys if I could until they're bonded... but like I said, he is a basketball player and can somehow manage getting out.. it's insane.

I have a question for all of you too...
Let me explain my situation ; My Tucker, like I said previously, has his own room. New guy (possibly GusGus or maybe Toby) is in the room on a desk in his cage right now. I read that Tucker being out and roaming around and Gus being in his cage is going to make Tucker feel like he's the best and he wins and that Gus is going to be sad or whatever.. so if I lock Tucker up daily along side Gus, put Gus's cage on the floor next to him and then when I get home let Tucker out to do his thing, can I leave Gus in his cage on the floor where Tucker will check him out and Gus may feel sad because Tucker is out and hes not? And then switch off, vice versa? But again I feel like because one is locked up and one isn't they're going to have that horrible feeling...

Until I can figure out the pen wise and everything should I just put one in the bathroom to run around and one in the room? and switch off daily which one goes where? I just feel bad and want to do this as best as I can for them.

Poor Gus has really only known his cage. :\

I also am such a pest, sorry guys! I'm just so new at this stuff!!

Last edited:
I don't think it's a problem letting them out to play individually, in the same area, you just want to make sure they have equal time.

You don't think my boy Tucker is going to be extra upset because it's his room and I am spending time with another bun in there?

Could you put them in cages, in a different room for now? Then Tucker may not get upset if he's not in his room, but in a new area. Or you could try putting them both in cages in that room, and give it a few days for them to get comfortable with this new situation. Then start letting them out. It's just going to depend a lot on his personality. You'll be able to tell by his behavior, if he is getting upset by having a new rabbit around. But it also may be that he will be really glad to have another rabbit around.

There are several people on here bonding right now, that already had a rabbit, and brought a new bun into the home, and let them both have turns out running around the same area. It's when you are doing the actual bonding that you have to take them both to a neutral area. You may just have to experiment a little to see what is going to be the best setup, and what is going to work out the best for both rabbits.

Latest posts

Back