The Adventures of Mr. Cookie!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well so much for a nap... I spoke to the vet and he wants to see him asap! Said he should be showing more interest in food... And should be more alert! So back we go... Another long day of driving! I need some STRONG coffee!

Sending REAL GOOD Karma your way. Hoping Mr. Cookie is back to his sweet self in no time. Also PLEASE drive safely!

K:)

Tippy wouldn't eat (or drink at all) after her surgery, and I had to do a two hour drive each way to take her back, too.

They gave her an IV with fluids and a syringe so I could feed her the critical care. She realized pretty **** fast that I was either going to hold her and force feed her critical care or she would eat on her own. Needless to say, she started eating after only two force-feeds of the stuff.

For Tippy's recovery, it took about 3 days before she was finally back to something vaguely resembling normal. Cookie is a rex, right? My bunny-vet told me that she has more trouble with mini-rexes eating after surgery than any other breed.

Chances are, your little guy will be eating again tomorrow. Good luck!

So we are home... Spent a few hours at the vet holding cookie while he got iv fluids... He just laid there in his towel and slept :( the vet tried to syringe feed him some critical care but cookie started squealing! It was terrifying... I've never heard him almost scream like that! As soon as he got back in my lap, he burrowed under the towel and didn't move... They checked him over to make sure he wasn't hurt... He wasn't, he just did not want that syringe near him... :( he sent us home with some pain meds, however he doesn't think he is in any significant pain (so he gave them to us just incase...) I'm going to try to avoid them, for fear they may make his tummy upset, which we certainly don't need! So so far today all he has had is a tiny bit fo hay... The plan is I'm going to try and make him a veggie smoothie in a little while, with a bunch of dark leafy veggies and some banana baby food (per the vets suggestion) to see if maybe he will drink some of it... For now tho, he is sleeping and I'm gonna get some dinner and rest for a bit...

Good news from the vet tho... Is he isn't infected! And overall for what he has been through looks ok! He id his main concern right now was getting things in his tummy nd keeping his gut moving... So that is why we'll be focusing on!

And Q - he isn't a Rex, he's a Silver marten (we think anyway lol)

So glad you are both home. So glad to hear that there is no infection.

Poor baby! My heart goes out to him going through this. Hopefully your smoothie will start him eating. Understand about the pain meds and bunnies tummies. Got lucky THREE times with pain meds (Dobby and Kreacher, and now Neville). Made Neville very tired and disoriented but he did eat his hay.

Hoping Mr. Cookie and you get some rest after your ordeal. And wake up tomorrow both feeling a bit better. Will keep you both in our thoughts. Please keep me informed. Mr. Cookie is definitely special to me. He looks just like my Dobby.

No infection is great. I'm sure he'll try the veggie smoothie, but if he resists it at first, I wonder if it might be a good idea to put a few drops of it on his face near his mouth, so he'd lick it off.

Thanks ladies! It means alot!

candykittten wrote:
Have you tried offering alfalfa? Might entice him to eat and he could do with the extra nutrients atm. Also have you tried adding a heating pad?

And he has alfalfa hay currenly... Isnt really interested... And we have been putting towels in the dryer and giving them to him warm, and when it cools off we have another warm one ready... A heating pad would make me nervous as he could chew it or the cord...

Well I have a little hope... I just saw some of his rotten little personality! :) I made him a smoothie with kale, red leaf lettuce, banana and apple! Yum! Went in and sat down next to him... He came over to me took 3 lick of it and then grabbed the edge and dumped it all over me!!! Bahahahahaha I guess he doesn't like my cooking! And then when I said what r you doing? He walked over and flopped :)

This is him after the incident... Playing dumb...

70ae4c4b.jpg

Needless to say after this happened, I think the little brat is going to be fine! Lol I love him! :inlove:

BunMommaD wrote:
A heating pad would make me nervous as he could chew it or the cord...

The make neat Frisbee like ones that you microwave. Most vet offices use them cause they are cordless and stay warm for long periods. Just a thought :)

candykittten wrote:
BunMommaD wrote:
A heating pad would make me nervous as he could chew it or the cord...

The make neat Frisbee like ones that you microwave. Most vet offices use them cause they are cordless and stay warm for long periods. Just a thought :)

I've never seen anything like that! I wonder where I could get one...??

No problem :) Seems like it would be a handy thing to have around.. Also I went ahead and ordered a Cottontail Cottage. Pricey but I think it will be worth it! It will be here next week

BunMommaD wrote:
:) I made him a smoothie with kale, red leaf lettuce, banana and apple! Yum! Went in and sat down next to him... He came over to me took 3 lick of it and then grabbed the edge and dumped it all over me!!! Bahahahahaha I guess he doesn't like my cooking! And then when I said what r you doing? He walked over and flopped :)
What a food critic. He should get a job reviewing rabbit food. Definitely sounds like he's feeling better.

Sounds like Mr. Cookie is on the mend. So glad to hear. Not that he made a mess of things, but that he's showing some of his personality.

Hoping this morning all is well.

So this morning Mr.C is still not eating much... But he is eating some hay and some greens... Has absolutely no interest in pellets or oats or fruits...
spoke to the vet and he said his main concern was some eating throughout the day, to keep his gut moving... He is pooping again but they are so small... Like crumbs... I tried to give him some gas drops, but he won't take fruit so I can't hide it in anything... He has little energy bursts today... And was playing with his toys a bit...
He is starting to look quite skinny to me... I sure hope his appetite completely returns soon! My poor boy...

It's a start. Hopefully as the day progresses, he'll start eating more. When Neville got sick, I was thrilled he was eating something. It took awhile but he did start eating pellets again.

Poor baby has been through a lot. The energy spurts and the eating of the hay and greens are really good signs.

Keep strong! Mr. Cookie needs that as well to keep the slow progress back to his ole self going.

BunMommaD wrote:
Thanks, K!

He is also leaving alot of cecals behind... Which he has never done... How can I get him to eat them?
I don't know if you can make him eat them if he's only interested in hay right now. I guess you just need to bear with it right now until he's back to his ole self.

Latest posts

Back