Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember Crosby aka Calamity Jane aka "CJ"?

DSCF8379.jpg

DSCF8380.jpg

DSCF8381.jpg

I really want to keep her - so the jury is still out on that. She would make someone an awesome pet (eve if she hates photo shoots) because she is just a lovebug.

I can't seem to get anything done around the house lately....its so hard.

I was getting ready to clean Nyx's cage and grabbed the camera instead (will clean it in a couple of minutes).

I think this is part of why I can't get anything done...

[align=center]
DSCF8423.jpg

DSCF8424.jpg

DSCF8428.jpg

DSCF8430.jpg

DSCF8433.jpg

DSCF8434.jpg

DSCF8436.jpg

DSCF8437.jpg

DSCF8443.jpg

DSCF8449.jpg

DSCF8450.jpg

DSCF8453.jpg

DSCF8456.jpg

[/align]

The babies are soooo cute, Peg! :) And Truly is just absolutely adorable! Any idea on what breed she is? Hah - doesn't matter, I love her colour!

Oh by the way...if Cindy goes missing - you can just skip Washington. She's not going to be in any of my cages. :p lol. She is soo stinkin' adorable.

And I have a question for you, Peg -- what is the earliest you are able to sex your babies? I figured, you breeding longer than I, might have a record-breaking age at sexing! :p I'll tell you how early I can sex after you answer. :p lol.

That's so cute how you have different names for the litters! lol. I have started doing that now since this is the first time I have two litters at once, and it's hard to talk about one, and not mean the other. I call my pre-juniors the "trio" since there is just three of them, and I have recently started calling the 2 week olds, Tater-Tots. haha. :)

Emily

I wish my situation allowed another bunny right now cause #1 is beautiful :inlove: Can you tell yet if it'smale or female??

SweetSassy wrote:
I wish my situation allowed another bunny right now cause #1 is beautiful :inlove: Can you tell yet if it'smale or female??
Yes - I'll have to look in my notes and check it out. I'm thinking male but watch me be wrong.

I'll update with the answer when I get a minute.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
The babies are soooo cute, Peg! :) And Truly is just absolutely adorable! Any idea on what breed she is? Hah - doesn't matter, I love her colour!

Oh by the way...if Cindy goes missing - you can just skip Washington. She's not going to be in any of my cages. :p lol. She is soo stinkin' adorable.

Knowing Cindy - she won't be in your cages. She'll be in your hands or on your lap or on the floor playing hide and seek with you. (More on that in a bit).

She is not only adorable but she is a REAL character!

And I have a question for you, Peg -- what is the earliest you are able to sex your babies? I figured, you breeding longer than I, might have a record-breaking age at sexing! :p I'll tell you how early I can sex after you answer. :p lol.

Ha ha ha - you're talking to a breeder who can't palpate...

I can tell for sure when the boy bits drop...or the doe has babies! :D

Ok...seriously. Nyx's babies were born March 11th and I'm just getting ready to check them now. I am usually pretty accurate with 80-85% of the litter at about a month. Sometimes a couple will baffle me which I know sounds strange.

I have been known to take them when their eyes aren't open and use a warm, damp cottonball to stimulate them to pee and then decide from that. (I learned that after a boy once peed on me without me trying to get him to do so...even blind - they seem to still aim just fine).

I probably could tell earlier than a month if I was willing to take the time. I know folks who can do it right after they're born...but not me.

The only thing I can really tell right after they're born - is who has bigger bone structure and who I want to watch because they're not too long in body or narrow in body.

With lionheads - it got to the point where I could look at a newborn litter and know that there were X amount I wanted to watch as potential keepers and X amount that would most likely be pet out - based upon type only.

But it does take them time to really fill out and show their type well.

That's so cute how you have different names for the litters! lol. I have started doing that now since this is the first time I have two litters at once, and it's hard to talk about one, and not mean the other. I call my pre-juniors the "trio" since there is just three of them, and I have recently started calling the 2 week olds, Tater-Tots. haha. :)

I think the nicknames are part of what keeps me sane when we are talking about them. The funny thing is - the kids know they are "kids" - the tinies know when we're talking about them...I'm sure it won't be long before the "itty bitties" know their nickname too.

I'm going to be doing some breeding soon though - multiple litters due within a week's time period. That should make life interesting. I'll probably just call them "X's litter" or something.

Emily

Ok 8 hours one way by the time I get back to Houston they will be mine.

Can you catch me?

I want all of them. Ok so maybe no I want all. Please send me the bill.

Ok - I just checked my notes (I still have pictures to take of three others).

Rabbit #1 is in cage #2 (mainly writing this for my reference). At his last weigh in he is 5 pounds 12 1/2 ounces...so a bit on the small side but I think he's been bulking up a bit. Nice type and I have toyed with keeping him as the understudy to Mercury's understudy (aka third in line for the girls). He had an eye infection but it has cleared up.

He is super duper friendly - a real flirt. He likes to binky in his cage in the mornings.

He fights with his water bottle a lot and sometimes I put a bowl of water in with him instead.

Rabbit #2 is also a boy....he's the smallest in the litter but what a little brat. Spoiled rotten - he knows he can wrap me around his finger in a heartbeat. He loves to dig in his food and we have to be careful not to give him too much at one time. He's very calm and sedate but let him out to play - and the binkies come. (for my notes - he's in cage 5).

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
Ok 8 hours one way by the time I get back to Houston they will be mine.

Can you catch me?

I want all of them. Ok so maybe no I want all. Please send me the bill.
ROFLOL - somehow I suspect that I'm going to have put a tracking chip in Cindy...partly due to forum members - partly due to Cindy's love to "hide".

I love Sher - I really do - and I love Dexter. Dexter still hides and won't let me pet him unless I pull him out and force him to let me hold him. Sher will take pets - if she wants them.

But Cindy...she makes me laugh. For those of you who remember my story "A Day In the Life of Puck"....if she were free-roaming I would obviously be writing the same thing about her. Wow..what a creative little troublemaker.

But alas...I speak too soon - I have a post to write - which will help y'all understand.

I made the very big mistake of introducing the itty bitties and the tinies to fruit loops.

I need to switch back to cheerios.

I don't give them often - but talk about rabbits having a sweet tooth.

The itty bittie seach got one - the tinies got a couple each - Harmony and Sophia were begging for the rest of the bag....and Sophia was trying to get out of her cage to get them.

Athena did her happy bunny dance to get more.

Now to find the bag...I hope Nyx didn't carry it off somewhere...

I just realized I didn't share my "Cindy & Sher" vs. "Sophia" story. Perhaps it will help you understand Cindy a bit.

Sophia was out for a couple of hours by herself...and she was really enjoying it. I decided "she's hanging out in the bathroom - I'll let the lop girls out".

They play around for a bit and then they find a hiding spot. A little while later Sophia comes out to see what's going on - if she can get any treats, etc. Cindy jumps and surprises her from the front while Sher gets her from the back. (Mind you - they've never seen each other before at playtimes together). Cindy start sniffing at Sophia who is getting a bit nervous and then Sher starts sniffing and Sophia is now getting upset. She starts to lunge at Cindy - not to bite her - but to make her go away - and Cindy takes off running. I say Sophia's name and she comes and sits beside me and I tell her what a good girl she is.

A couple of minutes later - Cindy comes and dances in front of Sophia to try and get her to play chase. Sophia looks at me and does pretty good till Sher sneaks up behind her and bumps her butt.

Sophia gives in and goes after them...they run to the bathroom - she runs to the bathroom - they come running out at high speed and Sophia comes out and comes over to me when I say her name and lets me pet her. SHe looks at me like, "Really? Did you have to get small rabbits that are pains?"

Sure enough - Cindy and Sher had to keep on teasing Sophia - with Cindy being the leader.

Finally - I locked them where they couldn't get to Sophia and then praised her for what a good girl she was.

It was almost like Cindy was trying to play tag with Sophia and going up to her and going, "Tag..you're it" - but Sophia didn't understand the game. Cindy and Sher like to play it - I guess they assumed Sophia would want to play too.

I think I mentioned - I had to separate Cindy and Sher - they were living together at first cause they were so scared...but hormones have started getting to them. They can still have playtimes - just live side by side.

Sher has started flirting with Art - BIG TIME. Of course he spends time with her too since she's begs him for pets.

Watching the girls play with Sophia made me REALLY miss Puck a lot. I'm so glad to have holland lops in my life again....it should be fun.

Well - I have come up with a name for one of the rabbits we are keeping. I really REALLY like the name as it comes from one of my very favorite John Wayne westerns.

First of all - the buck we're keeping is now 8 pounds at 14 or 15 weeks....I'd have to go look up the exact age. He's putting on weight pretty good - I'm so happy. I also love how he is developing and talk about a sweetie.

Anyway - one of my favorite John Wayne movies was "Big Jake". Jake McCandles has been away from his home for 10 years when he gets word that kidnappers have crossed the Mexican border and attacked his ranch. When he gets there - he learns that he has a grandson (named after him) who was kidnapped. He (and others) are going to deliver the ransom.

I'm going to share two quick scenes from the movie that I love...

[align=center][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evPnYzQCm80]"Daddy"[/ame]

and

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJUbz_Z35JY&feature=related]Big Jake Trailer[/ame]

Anyway - that is one down and two girls to go...
[/align]

Latest posts

Back