Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think Angel might be my new favorite rabbit of yours....even though you just got her and haven't shared a whole lot about her yet. If I can't steal her....then I'm just going to have to fall in love from a safe distance :spintongue.

Interesting! I wondered what the breeder crossed in to get the broken pattern. They are very beautiful. It was hard to tell how "type-y" they are from the pictures. I did notice that the ears aren't quite right size-wise on the bun in the cage, so obviously that is something the breeder will be working with. It's just fascinating to see them.

Like you, I am not quite sure how I actually feel about breeders developing this variety and working to get it sanctioned. I'm going to have to educate myself on it a bit more.

As I told you before I love Angel!! The other two are cute too.

wabbitmom12 wrote:
Interesting! I wondered what the breeder crossed in to get the broken pattern. They are very beautiful. It was hard to tell how "type-y" they are from the pictures. I did notice that the ears aren't quite right size-wise on the bun in the cage, so obviously that is something the breeder will be working with. It's just fascinating to see them.

Like you, I am not quite sure how I actually feel about breeders developing this variety and working to get it sanctioned. I'm going to have to educate myself on it a bit more.
My personal opinion is they have good density and fairly nice shoulders and butts - but they lack the rise that they need. The judge might have said something about needing more shoulders too...but to me - the rise was obviously not there.

They also need bigger ears.

I really like them - and I really am unsure about them. Depends upon what mood I'm in when you catch me thinking about them..

Ali - I LOVE Angel. My goodness- she came out and played last night with the holland girls and man can she run when she wants to. She ran into the hallway and the bathroom and then back to the living room. She was having a blast. Then she'd come up to me and get pets for a few minutes and take off running again.

She does a TON of dead bunny flops - and if she does a DBF while I'm beside her cage - she'll flop - then turn her head to look at me - and sometimes wink. If my hand is nearby - she get herself close to me for pets.

I have to say - I adore her. Such a big personality in such a little body....

Pictures to come soon...

When we were at Seguin - there was someone there doing photos of rabbits - it was $5 for a sitting fee for as many rabbits as you wanted (we paid a bit more so we could get more proofs). I think we're missing proofs for two bunnies so I have to contact her.

BUT - I am wanting to order some prints - I can order 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10. The prices are a bit high - but when I look at her photos - they are worth it to me - and I'd like to get them without her logo on them.

Which one(s) do you folks like the most?

[align=center]
4084.jpg

4085.jpg

4095.jpg

4096.jpg

40A7.jpg

40A8.jpg

40B9.jpg

40CA.jpg

5CD.jpg

5DD.jpg

5DE.jpg

5F0.jpg

5F1.jpg

601.jpg

602.jpg

613.jpg

614.jpg

[/align]

No - y'all can NOT steal Cindy after seeing these pictures.

I'm gonna put Angel and the dogs on guard duty...

TinysMom wrote:
No - y'all can NOT steal Cindy after seeing these pictures.

I'm gonna put Angel and the dogs on guard duty...
I want Angel! :whistling

Well - a short update before I go to bed (I'm wiped out).

I'm taking three rabbits with me tomorrow from Meatloaf's litter - so that someone can pick two of them (I'm really hoping they decide to take all 3 when they see them). It's the three girls - two blackish and one light gray.

Angel is mad at me tonight. She hasn't been eating all of her pellets (or even half) - partly because I was giving her oatmeal and a couple of sunflower seeds - like everyone else.

So tonight she got maybe 10 oatmeal flakes and no sunflower seeds.

When I go near her - she will let me pet her - but then she pushes her oatmeal bowl over towards me to ask for more. I keep telling her "no baby" and its killing me...but she has to learn to eat her pellets. She does enjoy hay and I'm going to weigh her again and record her weight and just watch and make sure she doesn't lose too much or gain too much weight.

The new holland lop girl is named Sassy - which is VERY appropriate for her. Not sure yet on the name for the new buck...he's quite the flirt.

Big Jake has put on 3 ounces in the last few days - not as much as I'd like - but still doing good. He's already minimum show weight for a junior and I love the way he is filling out.

On Monday Mercury had a "date" with Athena....which was hilarious because the first half hour he spent trying to mount her head. I was afraid I'd have to draw him a diagram - particularly bad since Athena was SO ANXIOUS to breed.

Then Tuesday - he had a date with Harmony - who was really wanting to breed. Fortunately - he remembered what to do right off...

Hopefully - tomorrow he will remember what to do when he has a date with Calypso.

My goal is to watch all 3 litters grow up and develop and see who does best with him and which lines take longer to develop, etc. etc

I was going to breed Sophia too - because I really REALLY want something from her and Mercury.

But she's too much of a beloved pet - I just can't risk losing her.

Anyway - I guess that is pretty much it for now.

Oh - I'm rehoming Dexter/Finn - which I will explain about later....

But for now - I must go collapse!

I'm about to head to bed - but I'm very excited and have to share.

Two of the rabbits got rehomed today - and I really liked the father who picked them up (I'd talked to the mom and her daughter over the phone and in email). I had a good feeling about them.

Gabby at the feed store - MIGHT - be buying the doe that is left for her brother. He loves rabbits. She will let me know tomorrow.

So out of the original 17 (10 of which made it past weaning) - 4 have been rehomed and I have 6 left. One I know I still want to sell.

Out of Meatloaf's surprise litter of 6 - 2 have definitely been rehomed - possibly a third.

I have two people interested already in Nyx's litter - she has 7. I know I want to keep one buck (at least I think I do) and possibly a doe - depending upon type, etc. In this case - a lot of it will depend upon color along with type - because if they're not the right color of steel - I'm best to just let them move on. So I'm watching them as they lighten up.

Angel is...hilarious. She ate most of her supper last night so she got some oatmeal tonight. She got mad at me later and flipped her oatmeal bowl over (she'd already eaten it).

I just looked at her supper and she'd eaten about half. I told her if she flipped her oatmeal bowl back over - I'd give her a few flakes of oatmeal. I was trying to help her - when she took her oatmeal bowl and THREW it at the back of the cage and thumped me off.

I told her "good night" and I'd see her in the morning.

She then started pressing her nose against the wire for pets - so I gave her some.

I've got to say - she has such a huge personality for a little bun. I call her my "bug-eyed beauty"....and it is so hard to not overspoil her (partly because I'm not used to feeding such a small bun).

She seems to love anything she's given to play with....she chews on her wooden block she's got....and she loves to throw around her oatmeal container.

I think even when we get a bunny barn - she'll probably still live by my desk somehow...she makes me laugh so darn much.

I'm just scared sometimes. I mean - she's already five years old....know what I mean?

I'm looking into having her spayed.

Angel is beautiful. :inlove:

I was catching up on your blog. Mercury is a busy man. Lol. The lops are so cute too.

I also like the waybroken Flemish look. But I also can see how breeders canbe worried about it too.

Some bunny got to go play outside in the grass today for the VERY FIRST TIME....

What do you think - did she have a good time?

[align=center]
IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

[/align]

Glad everyone is doing well. It took me a while to get caught up on your blog. I didn't realize how long its been since I last read it. So many cute bunny's, how do you stand it.

I'm a nervous wreck - crying inside, etc.

I stopped off in Uvalde today (70 miles away) and talked to the vet clinic there. Turns out they have a woman vet I haven't talked to before...she can do rabbit spays.

She doesn't do many spays in Uvalde - BUT - she used to work in Houston (for four years) and she did 3-4 rabbit spays per week there.

Next Wednesday - Angel is going to get spayed.

I'm horribly scared - she's already become so precious to me - I dread the thought of possibly losing her in surgery.

BUT - I have reason to believe she needs to be spayed fairly quickly and she IS 5 years old already. I'm hoping that by spaying her - it will remove any danger of cancer (or cancer itself) and I can have her for many more years.

I also can use prayers/encouraging thoughts for two situations.

First of all - for those who read in the rabbitry - the doe that was pick of the litter for keeping - wasn't eating her food. Turned out it was cocci (I've shared that over there). She's eating now - mostly greens, pumpkin and bananas. She eats a bit of oatmeal also and last night she did eat about 1/4 cup of pellets.

She really needs to put her weight back on and get her condition back (she was GORGEOUS) - and of course we need to make sure this cocci goes away totally. She is being treated for it.

Secondly - I have a doe that I need to rehome even though I don't want to. She is from the liters that Athena/Sophia had and she is the smallest in the litter. She's probably 5 - 5 1/2 pounds where her siblings are 6 1/2 - 8 or 9 pounds. She has smaller bones and I suspect she will stay small for a flemish - perhaps top out at 10 or 11 pounds instead of being 17 or whatever.

I just started calling her "Lil Bit" tonight and I shouldn't have done that because when I name them - I get attached.

I really need the right home to come along for her - someone who wants a flemmie not because of their size - but because of their personality. She is a kisser and a cuddler and she will come and cuddle in my lap for as long as I'll pet her.

If I had my bunny barn built - I would seriously consider keeping her just as a pet. She just has the "ideal" personality - at least at this age. I may wind up keeping her if I can't find her a home that will appreciate her.

So send up good thoughts and prayers that she will either find a home - or that I'll have peace about keeping her?

I can't do this to a lot of my litters though. I am currently keeping three does for breeding (although I may let one go) - but as I see how other litters develop - I may rehome some of the three this fall if I get better quality offspring from the newest breedings.

Oh - and I need to tell y'all about a dream later. I'm too tired to tell it right - and I have to edit the language a bit because one of my rabbits has a potty mouth (and I blame that on Alicia).

But alas - I'll share the story tomorrow.

TinysMom wrote:
Next Wednesday - Angel is going to get spayed.

I'm horribly scared - she's already become so precious to me - I dread the thought of possibly losing her in surgery. :hug1

BUT - I have reason to believe she needs to be spayed fairly quickly and she IS 5 years old already. I'm hoping that by spaying her - it will remove any danger of cancer (or cancer itself) and I can have her for many more years.

I also can use prayers/encouraging thoughts for two situations.

First of all - for those who read in the rabbitry - the doe that was pick of the litter for keeping - wasn't eating her food. Turned out it was cocci (I've shared that over there). She's eating now - mostly greens, pumpkin and bananas. She eats a bit of oatmeal also and last night she did eat about 1/4 cup of pellets.

She really needs to put her weight back on and get her condition back (she was GORGEOUS) - and of course we need to make sure this cocci goes away totally. She is being treated for it. :pray:

Secondly - I have a doe that I need to rehome even though I don't want to. She is from the liters that Athena/Sophia had and she is the smallest in the litter. She's probably 5 - 5 1/2 pounds where her siblings are 6 1/2 - 8 or 9 pounds. She has smaller bones and I suspect she will stay small for a flemish - perhaps top out at 10 or 11 pounds instead of being 17 or whatever.

I just started calling her "Lil Bit" tonight and I shouldn't have done that because when I name them - I get attached.

I really need the right home to come along for her - someone who wants a flemmie not because of their size - but because of their personality. She is a kisser and a cuddler and she will come and cuddle in my lap for as long as I'll pet her.

If I had my bunny barn built - I would seriously consider keeping her just as a pet. She just has the "ideal" personality - at least at this age. I may wind up keeping her if I can't find her a home that will appreciate her.

So send up good thoughts and prayers that she will either find a home - or that I'll have peace about keeping her? Wish we had the cage space...

I can't do this to a lot of my litters though. I am currently keeping three does for breeding (although I may let one go) - but as I see how other litters develop - I may rehome some of the three this fall if I get better quality offspring from the newest breedings.

Oh - and I need to tell y'all about a dream later. I'm too tired to tell it right - and I have to edit the language a bit because one of my rabbits has a potty mouth (and I blame that on Alicia). Lol! :censored2: Shame, shame, Ali. ;)

But alas - I'll share the story tomorrow.

Peg, can you share pictures of "Lil Bit"? :biggrin:

undergunfire wrote:
Peg, can you share pictures of "Lil Bit"? :biggrin:
Since I had today off....and you asked...well...(and I needed to get pictures of her anyway in case people ask about her...).

[align=center]
IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Notice how her front feet/legs are sorta small and dainty (like mama Athena). I can't seem to get Athena over 13 pounds...and that is with her being pregnant. This is why I think this girl is gonna be smaller. (Watch her surprise me).
IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

[/align]

Latest posts

Back