Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad we get to see some pictures of her.

She looks to be a decent size. I'll try to see if I can get a picture of mine against a can later today.

Make sure you're free-feeding her food and hay right now. I free feed for about the first year with flemish - although I noticed that around the 10 month mark - Mercury started cutting back on how much he ate. When he was 4 months old though - I thought he was going to eat us out of house and home - every time I turned around it felt like I was putting food into his bowl!

Oh - I could use help on my brochure so I'll go ahead and ask. I want to use 4-6 pictures in it...what are some of your favorites that I've had on the blog in the last few months?

I can remember one of Hermes outside that folks loved - and one of Athena sitting and looking regal.

Others?

TinysMom wrote:
I had really hoped to have Minda's drawing on the cards so last night I was sorta down - knowing I needed to get them made and stop procrastinating....
I'm so sorry, Peg...FCAT time is so stressful to me. :( Artwork gets pushed away sometimes. I promise I'll come back to it. I'm sorry I made you feel down :(

Oh Minda - I didn't mean it to sound that way. Please - honest - that wasn't the way I meant it to sound.

It was more like "I had one idea of what I wanted...tried something else and was pleasantly surprised to find out I liked it"

It also felt good to get SOMETHING done as I've been procrastinating on this forever....I need to do the website and the brochure too - but at least the cards are done.

Ok folks - here is my "idea" for a project I want to do. I was going to wait on it - but I decided I want to work on it during the early part of this week.

I want to work on a one page "handout" to give to the manager of TSC (and enough for her employees) and also to Justin and his employees at the feed store. This is going to be something to help educate them - so they can educate their customers who ask about rabbits.

Unlike many folks - I do agree with selling rabbits in the feed store here - because we are hours from rescues and pet stores and the only option to get a bunny is try to find a breeder or call the feed store to see if they have any - OR - go to the flea market where they might be from a bunny mill if there are some there.

I've decided one of my goals for this year is going to be to educate folks in this area.

Enough rambling - I need help coming up with the information to put on a one sheet handout that is mainly for the employees to have (I am hoping they'll accept some of the ARBA "How to Care for your Rabbit" brochures from me too - knowing Justin - they'll be thrilled).

I want the facts to be short and sweet (hard for me). Here is some of what I have:

Rabbits are not cuddly creatures by nature.

Rabbits need hay regularly.

Rabbits need pellets free from "junk" in it - plus it is cheaper to buy a bag of good rabbit food than little bags of the junky stuff.

If in a wire cage, rabbits need a resting board/mat so they don't get sore hocks.

Rabbits need water available to them ALL the time. If they don't drink - they can't eat.

If rabbits are kept outdoors, they must be kept out of direct sunlight and have either cold ceramic tiles (frozen) or frozen water bottles) given to them daily to keep them cool.

Ok y'all - take over here. I'm sure there is a lot more....I want to make each statement short and sweet - then I'll group them by food, care, etc.

Do not drink while reading this.

I had two water bottles on my desk. One with rabbit meds and pro-bios in it - the other one was my flavored water.

I grabbed one and took a big swig.

ARG.

At least I won't be getting cocci for a bit...

EWWW!! Did you give them Flagyl (metronidazole)? That would be the best thing in this situation, IMHO. I'm sure you got great advice from Cathy and you know a lot about baby bunnies too. I'll be thinking about your guys--some simethicone probably wouldn't hurt either.

Also, Mandy, is that baby ok? Her eyes look really strange!

Nope - not flagyl - not sure I'd want to taste that one.

All I can say is "ewwww...".

Worst lemonade I've ever tasted...

Well, they do give flagyl to people with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) because of its anti-inflammatory effects, so at least it's safe! Most drugs used in bunnies are used in people too.

No that baby is not ok. I have her because the breeder(back yard breeder) thought she had an eye infection and didn't know what to do. So I took her into the rescue and we found out at the vet that her top eyelid folds in so her eyelashs rub up against her eye constantly and her lower eyelid folds out. So when full grown she is going to have to undergo surgery to correct the eye lids and hopefully live a normal life. We will see what happens, for now I have to put eye drops in daily and also saline to keep the eye lubricated.

TinysMom wrote:
Ok folks - here is my "idea" for a project I want to do. I was going to wait on it - but I decided I want to work on it during the early part of this week.

I want to work on a one page "handout" to give to the manager of TSC (and enough for her employees) and also to Justin and his employees at the feed store. This is going to be something to help educate them - so they can educate their customers who ask about rabbits.

Unlike many folks - I do agree with selling rabbits in the feed store here - because we are hours from rescues and pet stores and the only option to get a bunny is try to find a breeder or call the feed store to see if they have any - OR - go to the flea market where they might be from a bunny mill if there are some there.

I've decided one of my goals for this year is going to be to educate folks in this area.

Enough rambling - I need help coming up with the information to put on a one sheet handout that is mainly for the employees to have (I am hoping they'll accept some of the ARBA "How to Care for your Rabbit" brochures from me too - knowing Justin - they'll be thrilled).

I want the facts to be short and sweet (hard for me). Here is some of what I have:

Rabbits are not cuddly creatures by nature.

Rabbits need hay regularly.

Rabbits need pellets free from "junk" in it - plus it is cheaper to buy a bag of good rabbit food than little bags of the junky stuff.

If in a wire cage, rabbits need a resting board/mat so they don't get sore hocks.

Rabbits need water available to them ALL the time. If they don't drink - they can't eat.

If rabbits are kept outdoors, they must be kept out of direct sunlight and have either cold ceramic tiles (frozen) or frozen water bottles) given to them daily to keep them cool.

Ok y'all - take over here. I'm sure there is a lot more....I want to make each statement short and sweet - then I'll group them by food, care, etc.

Rabbits love to chew, wires, cables etc need to be protected.

Rabbits need toys, parrot toys, baby keys, baby stacking cups, tp tubes with hay insideare good toys.

TinysMom wrote:
Karen - I'm sure you'll understand this...

"Oh....break my heart....offer me a mystery shop at one of my favorite clothing stores (Cato) - better yet - offer me a mystery shop at all three of them in the towns I visit weekly....pay me $10 to go in and look around plus $5 towards a purchase of my choice..."

I'm so heartbroken. Totally devastated..to HAVE to go to Cato again...(NOT!)

And if Dave is reading this and is like Art...he's going "oh no...she can't only spend $5 in there....there goes the budget.."

:D
:laugh:If I only had a budget to go!

TinysMom wrote:
Karen - I'm sure you'll understand this...

"Oh....break my heart....offer me a mystery shop at one of my favorite clothing stores (Cato) - better yet - offer me a mystery shop at all three of them in the towns I visit weekly....pay me $10 to go in and look around plus $5 towards a purchase of my choice..."

I'm so heartbroken. Totally devastated..to HAVE to go to Cato again...(NOT!)

And if Dave is reading this and is like Art...he's going "oh no...she can't only spend $5 in there....there goes the budget.."

:D
YEP!! I just did one of those a week ago. I made myself take ONLY CASH, so I had to limit my expenditures...but I did see some things I want to go back and try on...!

For the Brochure:

Rabbits are social creatures and appreciate attention every day.

Rabbits love to play. Simple toys are fine: baby keys, cardboard tubes, plastic bowls, etc. Anything they can toss, push, or chew.

TinysMom wrote:

Great idea.

Keep in mind that nobody is saying that people have to go 200 miles to an official 'rescue'. There isn't an incredibly huge difference between 'selling' and 'adoption'. But 'adoption ' means a rabbit doesn't go to whoever puts the money down, they go to good homes.

The info sheet is a great start. It would be nice if the 'customers' had to fill out an application, a spay and neuter program (discounts, part proceeds going to a Vet fund, etc) was in place, staff checked up on the rabbits after a month or so, and the outlets had a return/rehome policy (and a relationship with a true rescue).

But again, great start.

sas :)

Pipp wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Great idea.

Keep in mind that nobody is saying that people have to go 200 miles to an official 'rescue'. There isn't an incredibly huge difference between 'selling' and 'adoption'. But 'adoption ' means a rabbit doesn't go to whoever puts the money down, they go to good homes.

The info sheet is a great start. It would be nice if the 'customers' had to fill out an application, a spay and neuter program (discounts, part proceeds going to a Vet fund, etc) was in place, staff checked up on the rabbits after a month or so, and the outlets had a return/rehome policy (and a relationship with a true rescue).

But again, great start.

sas :)
Nice dreams to have - thanks for sharing - but nowhere near at all what I was looking at doing - nor would I even ask that they do this. The store only gets in a few bunnies per year - they won't carry them yearround because they feel they can't keep them warm enough in the winter or cool enough in the summer (even though they have a heater / fan blowing on them during those times).

So I'll just focus my energy on two things - educating the clerks - and then having materials to educate the customers. That will be "good enough" for here as I am not in agreement with some of the other stuff.

I just remembered - somewhere on my hard drive I may still have the rabbit handout that I would print out frequently for them to give to customers when they bought a rabbit. Gabby once told me that someone was considering buying a rabbit in the future and they stopped by to ask for one because they'd heard about it from someone else.

I hope to use tomorrow to not only do our taxes....and design our rabbitry website - but to also come up with something like this to take to the two stores we have locally. I have a good relationship with the managers of both stores.

What I do think is funny - is how much fun it is to "educate" the clerks as I'm buying my rabbit food with something as easy as, "I'm so glad you carry this food because it is healthier than those little bag with the junk in it."

As I tried to share on another thread...when I went in a couple of weeks ago - a clerk told me, "I got someone else to buy this food instead of the other ones because I told them a "breeder" said it was healthier and cheaper in the long run."

I can't save help all the rabbits - but at least there is one rabbit out there who is eating healthy.

That makes me feel great.

Pipp wrote:
Rabbits need housing that includes a covered place to hide, solid footing and the ability to hop up and down as well as across.

Awesome - I love the way you stated this. Thanks so much! It stuff like this that I hope to share.

TinysMom wrote:
Nice dreams to have - thanks for sharing - but nowhere near at all what I was looking at doing - nor would I even ask that they do this.

I was in no way suggesting you do this nor was I meaning to take away from your contribution. I was simply explaining IMO the difference between retail and 'rescue' -- or adoption and sales. Sorry if I offended you.

sas :rollseyes

Latest posts

Back