Sprite has ileus / She passed away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ivory wrote:
Oh duh, it's not a blockage. Forgive me, it's late and I'm sleepy.

Again, sending lots of positive vibes.

I think the only difference between a 'blockage' and a 'hairball' is that one is unnatural (like carpet fibers, plastic, etc) and the other is natural?

If the gut slowed down enough (quite suddenly) to form a large enough mass that the stomach is full and the intestinal tract is empty, isn't itthe same consequences? Although there's a better chance of a naturally occuring mass moving on it's way without causing further damage with treatment like hydration and massage.

(This is just a guess on my part).

sas :?

Oh boy....ileus is a tough one. The cisapride is nothing short of scary (and all gut motility drugs are a no-no here...none of our vets will even consider them). Everyone has their opinion on those type drugs....never will they be used here and we deal with some of the most serious of gut issues. Just makes a very painful situation even more painful. As far as some of the pain meds slowing the gut....that is still up to debate. It's sorta like what came first...the chicken or the egg. There is a possibility of the drugs causingGI transitissues....but it is a definite that pain causes gut issues. The decision is what is the lesser of the evils. I tend to use pain meds....and it has been successful. I have used both buprenorphine and tramadol (but not at the same time). The thing with tramadol is that it has to be compounded at a very precise concentration. And if oral metacam upsets her GI....what about injectable? And simethicone can also slow GI transit time too....one of those not so widely known facts of a "safe" drug.

The key in overcoming ileus is a good game plan, patience and lots of fluids. I normally do not force much food in these situations due to adding pressure...and pain..in the GI. I do push lots of fluids and as things evolve, I do use small and increasing amounts of Critical Care and a debatable treatment of pineapple juice. We have had guts down for a week or so. We have done so many of these things that we have a good plan of action....with lots of Lactated Ringers hanging around the house.

Couple of comments on some other posts...I think Ivory mentioned a washing machine for some vibrations....the dryer works too (and this is a good bonding technique too). Pipp mentioned using antibiotics. That is one of the very controversial topics with thevets. I do use a drug called metronidazole (flagyl). In many GI stasis/ileus cases, as the beneficial bacteria in the GI dies, it is replaced by e coli and clostridium....related to botulism and tetanus. It can be fatal quite easily. The flagyl is excellent at targeting the nasties. If I remember, I think a member of the forum has an experience with clostridium. That drug requires compounding into a suspension and should be flavored since it is extremely bitter. And one thing that has not been mentioned...another wildlife trick....use a heating pad and keep her gut warm....of course being careful not to burn her. Heat is a wonderful thing and it is comforting to an angry gut. And a little mint is always in the offering around here.

Wishing Sprite a speedy recovery.

Randy

Thanks for the advice!

About the gut motility drugs, my vet is not very comfortable with them but does use them guardedly in cases like this where it seems the intestines have stopped completely. He doesn't use them for GI slowdowns. This is also why he only gave one dose, he wants complete control over if and when she gets these meds due to potential problems.

I have been giving her heat- a sock full of dry rice and heated up to be exact. But Fey is interested in nibbling it so I can only give it to Sprite when I can be there to watch. I'll check the pet stores out tomorrow for a no-wires animal safe one, or at least one that doesn't smell like bread when it's warm LOL!

Right now James and I have been passing Sprite back and forth doing gut massages, which she seems to like. She lays on our laps on a pillow and let's us do them. It's pretty sad because normally she gets mad if we touch her. I'll try the dryer or washing machine tomorrow, I knew about it but she had already been so stressed out today.

Randy, do you recommend syringing any food/meds right now? Because if it's not going beyond the stomach, I'd worry about putting too much pressure on the stomach. I do have 100% mint herbal tea that I can brew and syringe feed to her, as well as pumpkin and I can make a pellet slurry. I'll give her a bit of Nutrical tonight.

naturestee wrote:
I have been giving her heat- a sock full of dry rice and heated up to be exact. But Fey is interested in nibbling it so I can only give it to Sprite when I can be there to watch. I'll check the pet stores out tomorrow for a no-wires animal safe one, or at least one that doesn't smell like bread when it's warm LOL!
Angela, you should call your vet in the morning and see if they have a heating pad you can borrow. Mine has loaned me one before- its a large plastic disk that you put in the microwave and it heats up and stays warm. Its flat so they can lay on it. Something like that would be good.

We all know Sprite is in good hands. Sending lots of prayers for you and your girl :pray:

ra7751 wrote:
... And simethicone can also slow GI transit time too....one of those not so widely known facts of a "safe" drug.

This brings up another question... Gas will cause pain and pain will promote the slowdown and the mental wherewithall for recovery... but as I understand it, the gas is normally formed in the cecum once the lack of food puts the bacterial imbalance in motion, complicating the original problem. So will the gas make it through the mass/blockage to sit in the stomach? Or stay in the cecum/intestines? And if it doesn't end up in the stomach, will the Simethicone even reach the problem?

sas :?

Haley, forgot to add that the vet told me to call him tomorrow and Saturday while he's in. I'll ask. But I'll look around in the pet stores too because it could be handy for future use.

Is there anything that can be given to break it down? Like I dunno, something with a tad more acidity? Or does that make things worse?

What about hairball remedy?

I'm asking for me because I don't know anything on this subject...

Mr. Stee here. Naturestee isn't really up to posting right now so I will fill in some.

Last night we did a lot of work. She got fluids from the doctor, pain meds, and gut mobility drugs. At home we had her in our lap for hours. We used a heating pad until her sister tried to eat the cord, then we put that away. We massaged her off and on for what seemed like hours. The whole time she just sat there, not struggling or anything. This was highly unusual. She hates the human hands touching her without consent, but she wouldn't even flinch when we touched her. When we put her back for the night, I was worried. She looked, if nothing else, worse than before. In the morning I found her deceased. She must have gone early in the night since rigamortis was already fully set. There were two poops by her, but both had a bit of blood on them. Her anus had a small smear on it too. She must have ruptured something in her stomach/intestines when the block came unstuck and probably bled out internally even though her intestines started working again.
Here is her last picture from last night.
5y8tphg.jpg

Another of RO's beautiful rabbits gone to the Bridge this month. :rainbow:

I am so sorry. :bunnybutt:

Oh my god... not Sprite. This hit me so hard - Sprite always reminded me of Misty with her little attitute - big enough for a 100lb rabbit far less a 2lb one. I love her, Sprite was an awesome rabbit. You guys are in my thoughts Angela. Nose rubs to Fey and hugs to you both.

Nadia

I'm so deeply sorry for you both, and for her sister.

Thinking of you all.

x

Latest posts

Back