Sprite has ileus / She passed away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I just got back from the vet. Sprite is a sick little bunny. James pm'd me at work this morning to tell me that she was lethargic, laying down funny, and breathing so hard her head was bobbing. It didn't sound like gas but just in case I had him give her some simethicone and tummy rubs.

When I got home from work, she was still feeling bad so I picked her up to check on her. She had peed on herself.:( I called the vet and brought her in. Thankfully the bunny-savvy vet was in today.

The vet took an xray which showed that her intestines were empty and her stomach was full. So even though she has food in her stomach (her breakfast that she was so excited about this morning), it wasn't going anywhere because her intestines weren't moving. He gave her sub-q fluids and showed me how to do it so I can do it at home. She'll get that once a day till she's better. He gave her one dose of cisapride (gut motility drug) but didn't send any home because he doesn't feel safe giving regular doses of it. She also got Metacam for pain. We talked about other pain meds, because I know Fey gets an upset stomach from Metacam. But apparently the other NSAIDS are worse on the stomach, and opiates like Tramadol are known to cause constipation. Hopefully since she has a full stomach the Metacam won't cause problems.

He also recommended tummy massages and to get her moving if possible. I drove a longer way home in the hopes that car vibrations would help.

So... that's everything. Vibes please, she definitely feels like crud.:(

Poor little girl! All of us here will be thinking of her and hope she gets better soon!

Cara, Button and Sherry, Pej, Buster, Vivienne

Ahh poor Sprite, I hope she feels better. Do you have a portable battery operated tooth brush. I've heard people use them when the bunniesneed a tummy message, the vibration is suppose to really help.

Susan:sickbunny:

Finally got to this thread.

Oh, Sprite! Now I REALLY wish I could make the trip to WI!!!!!!

We're all in your corner, sweet Sprite!
bunnypinkkisses.gif
Get well soon. We'll keep checking in oh how you are.

Angela - Any idea about a cause? Hairball? We've been through the diarrhea issue with Pipkin 2 times since May with no known cause...that's the puzzler...gosh, I hate that feeling.

Know that we're here for you.

-Mary Ellen

All right I'll make a more constructive post...

Washing machines are good to get the gut moving.

getwellsoonsc.gif

She's in the best hands possible,thetreatment has been quick and accurate.

This is always so scary. :(

They don't think it's a blockage? I know my vet uses Cisapride to empty the stomach and Metoclopramide to get the intestines moving, but not if there's any chance of a blockage, although I see Dana Krempel's last version of her 'Silent Killer' article lessens that concern.

And with our Randy being so adamantly opposed to gut motility drugs due to pain issues, I just don't know anymore. :?

But the hydration andmassages are key. (And Simethicone, seeing as gas will still be a byproduct of the resulting cecum imbalance).

I've also always wondered about antibiotics in case the ileius is caused by a bug, and if there is an area of stopped matter that will ferment?

I need to more accurately research and present the differences between, and causes of, ileus,stasis,gas,bloat and other things that tend to get lumped together.

HopeSprite is feeling better soon.:( She should be very glad she's your bunny right now.

sas :pray:

By the time a hairball will be large enough to induce ileus in a rabbit, a gut motility drug won't do much. But if it isn't a hairball....

There is the option of going in through the stomach and removing the hairball in parts, but that's an extensive process and the prognosis is...well, guarded. Going in surgically is very difficult.

Ileus is serious. Sprite needs a lot of good vibes.

Oh duh, it's not a blockage. Forgive me, it's late and I'm sleepy.

Again, sending lots of positive vibes.

Latest posts

Back