Spank went into stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieStixxxx

Reaction score
I came home from work last night with veggies. He didn't greet me like he usually does, and he didn't want veggies. I felt his tummy, it was a little gassy. So I gave him simethecone, he pooped very nice droppings, and ran around for a bit. I thought he'd be fine..

I woke up this morning, and he wasn't moving. I felt his stomach, and it was massive. I quickly gave him 2 cc's of simethecone, and rushed him to the vet. He's so lethargic... Dr. Upjohn confirmed it was stasis. I'm beating myself for sleeping last night.

He's spending the night at the vets. I talked to Dr. Upjohn just before his shift ended, and he gave Spank all he could.. but he said he didn't have enough information to give me a guess if he'd be alright or not.

What would I do if I ever lost him? He's seriously changed my life. I got him when I was 16 because he was minutes away from euthanization. At the time, I was skipping school, my parents and I had the worst relationship.. I just wasn't doing very well in life. But then I had a rabbit at my house who had psychological issues, and I was forced to stay home and ensure he was alright. I was then on the principles list, I had goals for once, I started volunteering at the shelter for bunnies. And then I just really got into rabbits, and I graduated highschool with amazing grades. If it weren't for Spank, I'd be a complete loser who probably wouldn't of finished highschool. I can't lose him.. I just can't :cry2

:cry2 How old is Spank? Do you have any idea what caused him to go into stasis? does he just get gassy sometimes?

He's 3 1/2 years old. He's never been gassy before. An x-ray was done, and it revealed a hair ball. I was quite shocked, because he's not one to eat his fur. In fact, his poops from last night had no fur in them. The last time I saw fur in his droppings was back when he was a baby. But I guess these things do happen, and I forgot just how quickly it can happen =[

Does he have a buddy that he grooms? I can never tell which of my bonded pair is having hairy poos because they use the same pan and the fur color in the poos (yes gross) isn't a good indicator because they groom each other so much. I make sure to keep an eye on output and if it gets hairy or small, I lock them up all day or all night--they get bored and eat TONS of hay.

PixieStixxxx wrote:
He's 3 1/2 years old. He's never been gassy before. An x-ray was done, and it revealed a hair ball. I was quite shocked, because he's not one to eat his fur. In fact, his poops from last night had no fur in them. The last time I saw fur in his droppings was back when he was a baby. But I guess these things do happen, and I forgot just how quickly it can happen =[

Usually they(vets) say they see food in the stomach and gas or that the food is not moving out of the stomach and/ or there is a lot of gas

maybe the vet used the term 'hairball' meaning things were not moving through
is there any foreign object thatSpank could have eaten like rug remnants?
Isure hope that he's OK:expressionless

He gets unlimited hay, 1/4 cup of Oxbow pellets. He's bonded to three other rabbits.. Savannah, Rush, and Smudge. He only grooms Savannah. My boyfriend is Savannah's owner, and he combs her everyday. Rush and Simba, her lion lop kids go to a groomers on a regular basis to have their insane hair-dos worked out.

I've never had a rabbit go full into stasis before... This is my first time in 3 1/2 years to deal with it. I've had Labrador get gassy because he has molar spurs, but that was it. I've been so careful not to give gassy veggies. I can't imagine what would've caused Spank's stasis :?

Spank + the other three don't live on carpet. They have an entire bedroom on hardwood floors, covered with chloroplast, mostly newspapers, and one small blanket. I looked at the blanket and it hasn't been chewed on. But Spank did take a chunk out of the walls last week.. that's probably what it could be?

The wall could definitely be it. Water keeps things moving smoothly through the GI tract, and a chunk of drywall would be very dry and absorb water from the intestine around it, thus de-lubricating the stuff passing through. Definitely get some sub-q fluids into that boy (or ask the vet to).

Spank's still at the vet, he's been there for 32 hours now. I've been talking to the vet twice a day. But there's a vet tech who's primarily caring for him, and I've been talking to her quite often. Spank's been giving sub q fluids, vit B, metacam, simethecone.. And I believe that's what I could remember.

Today he's been passing good droppings, but he's still lethagic and hasn't passed the mass that's caused his stasis.

I walked out on my midterm today because one - I couldn't stop thinking about him. And two, I wanted to go see him. But I didn't even make it to the vet office before they closed! :cry1:

Aw, so sorry I didn't get to this earlier, I wanted to call you and I've been looking for your number, not sure where I put it. :)

If Spank is pooping, I'm sure he'll be fine. Dr. Upjohn always keeps bunnies in for days just to make sure they're getting what they need.

Having a hairball (and yeah, it's probably a mass of hair, pooping hair isn't really a sign that he's ingesting more, but it's not leaving) is uncomfortable and causes gas. And he's in a strange place. I'd be lethargic too.

But it's not a blockage, he is pooping, so with the treatment it should make its way through the system.

Easier said than done, but take a deep breath and try and relax.

He will be fine. Really.

sas :rose:

Thanks everyone :) The staff have given me the ok to see him tomorrow, and spend time with him in the back. I know Spank will get better, but the thought of losing my best friend just overwhelmed me yesterday.

It sounds like they're taking good care of him. I hope he passes the mass soon and he can get home to be with you. You'll be fine--just hang in there until he's all better. Keep pooping, Spank!

I've been thinking of you and him. I am confident that he's going to be fine. I know it's so difficult when they are away. I fret over a few hours!

Dr. Upjohn called me yesterday and said "Spank attacked me, so he's definitely not lethargic anymore! But he's still not eating much, or moving around much. His droppings have improved, if you'd like to take him home you can".

My boyfriend went to go pick him up as I was still at work, I wasn't so sure it was the right thing to do.. He came home with Spank, set him up in our spare bedroom. And said Spank just sat there. And now he was worried.

I rushed home, ran up the stairs, and peeped my head by the door with a "HEY SPANKY!". He looked up at me, and did the biggest binky I've ever seen him do. He then zoomed across, and greeted me (like he's been doing every day for the last 3 1/2 years! It's my favorite part of the day). I sat down with him, and he crawled into my lap and started eating the pile of hay layed out in front of him. He made quite a few droppings, although they are small for what he usually passes.

He's doing so much better.. he hasn't touched his pellets much, but he's such a binky machine! Also, when I came home his eye was weepy. Today it wasn't so bad, but it was still noticable. Dr. Upjohn is out for a few days, so I don't know if the other vet would know what the situation is.

But I have my Spank back!

Here is he set up in our spare bedroom:
Spank.jpg

S2.jpg

I'm so glad Spank (love the name btw) is feeling better.

He's adorable, what colour is he? He looks like my Vega.

Susan:)

Makes sure that you get fluids into him..maybe get a crock and put a little juice in the water to flavor it. monitor the fluids....really makes a difference
if you can get fresh pineapple juice that would be great for you to syringe him.

he most likely will do better now that he's with his mommy but you still have to continue treatment even if he's home.
Lots of liquids or give him wet veggies
he looks just like my (RIP) Jacques ; little heartbreaker :)

I'm not sure what color he is.. I've seen similar rabbits in the breeding section who were called "Sallanders" but someone on the board told me that Spank is a "Sable Point".

ETA: That giant red dish in the first picture is full of watered down pineapple juice. And he drinks it like it's pop :biggrin2:

Back