Someone dumped 2 domestic rabbits off on my 5 acres

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pityssake

Reaction score
I know NOTHING about domestic rabbits & have been trying to catch/trap/net them for 5 days.

How do I entice them to get into a 3x10 chicken wire cage I've put up for them? I've got carrots, celery, sage & corn in there. They get right to the entrance and back off.

I live in an area that has coyotes, stray cats & neighbors loose dogs. Along with MANY wild rabbits, raccoons, etc.

The rabbits look healthy. Big & chubby. One is black & the other is brown. I KNOW they've got to be full of ticks, because one of the wild rabbits died from a tick infestation, 2 weeks ago.

I will apprecieate ANY advice. I don't want the rabbits & the Ohio Rabbit Rescue never returned an email & the local "Humane Society" isn't the best in the world, to say the least.

rabbits are most active in the early morning and evening and are out foraging. Best to use food that they like, so corn is out as I've heard mixed reports on it with rabbits. Mine like all kinds of leafy greens and especially love apples. The real problem is that they are very smart and have great noses and sense of smell. Good luck.

If you can get access to rabbit poop from a neighbour or friend, and spread it around where you want to catch the buns, you may have some luck.
Lots of poop can ID a good lunch spot to a bun.

Kudos to you for being caring enough to want to catch these little guys!

Thanks for the quick reply.

These 2 seem to not have a clock. LOL! I see 'em out chasing eachother all hours of the day.

The reason I said corn? The wild rabbits it eat it with a passion, along side my ducks. The black rabbit has gotten brave enough, today, that it's been on the deck, right outside the patio doors...and, I saw it eating corn with a wild rabbit no less than 4 feet from it. I feed corn to the ducks, (wild Mallards that never migrate.)10' from the house & the wild rabbits join them. So, "Blacky" must've decided to join the crowd.

I even tossed a banana peel in the cage I put up, thinking the scent would draw them in. I'll get some apples.

It's really frustrating, because I KNOW they're NOT going to survive much longer with the stray cats & loose dogs. :(

I'm praying they aren't pregnant or won't GET pregnant. I don't have a clue as to their genders.

Thank you! I read that 2 days ago, after realizing the rescue wasn't gonna email me with any answers...and, the local "Humane Society" knew nothing.

I'm trying! Mission Impossible? Well, I don't give up too easily, if ever, when it comes to critters.

I never thought of looking on a forum, till this evening. (I musta thought I'da caught 'em by now, eh?)

Oh, gosh! I've got so many wild rabbits, there's bunny poo all OVER. That must be how the black one found the corn, today.

I've got wild bunnies of all ages out here. Some still in the nest.

Sadly, as I was in my garden today...a baby ran from it's nest & ran right into the pond! :( I got a fish net, hoping it would surface...no luck.

Tomorrow, I'll go gather a slew o' poo and put it in the cage trap I put up. I've left an 18" opening so I can go close it in time...hopefully.

I'm one that cares more for critters than I do most humans. LOL!

You may have more luck with humane catch traps. I'm surprised the Humane Society hasn't called back. They would have those traps and would take the bunnies after they catch them.

Rebecca...I'm hoping they're males. I highly doubt they'd be neutered & turned loose.

I'm thinking they're someone's Easter bunnies that got to be too much work. OR, they're both females & pregnant.

Regardless.........What a shame!

I wouldn't doubt it at all... an angry rabbit (domestic or wild) can rub out another bun, no problem!

But I don't think the wild buns would specifically target the domestics, unless there was a territory issue or something major.

The humane society should have the have-a-heart traps. If they are uncooperative, there may be a cat rescue org in your area that you could borrow the traps from.

Claire...I have a Hav-a-Heart trap. My concern on using it? If, by chance I'd catch one...I'm afraid it would tear it's face up trying to escape.

I had it set a couple weeks ago for a stray cat. Well, a young wild rabbit got in it, instead. He had his poor little face so torn up trying to get out, it was almost to the bone. I no longer leave it set overnite.

I saw him a few days later, and it was healing. WHEW!

btw...I fought the local "Humane Society" for 25 years until they finally started neutering BEFORE adoption!

When asked about what to use to entice these rabbits, their answer was: "I don't know, but...we'll take 'em if ya get 'em!"
I don't THINK so! They won't get these rabbits. My vet is trying to find someone to take 'em, if I get 'em.

Oh goodness :(... maybe there's another alt we haven't thought of yet.
Some people work with a partner to draw an enclosure around rabbits while they are feeding. Do you have another pair of helping hands?

Autumn...We've tried using a 16' long steel mesh hog panel. Even though those rabbits are fat...they can RUN! LOL! (Not funny, tho!) We're 60 years old out tryin' to outrun rabbits! HA!

The domestics won't react badly to the have-a-heart, that's a cottontail thing. The domestics are probably used to the idea of cages. They just prefer the ton of grass and treats beyond the bars.

I'm not sure how you plan on closing the door once their in the regular pen. They can race out of there pretty quick and probably won't trust it for quite awhile after that.

I really think you need to use the trap. Same bait.

The other best option is a net with a friend or three to help 'herd' them. One flushes them out of hiding, the other throws the net.

If you can get more specific about your location, maybe people here can help.

sas :goodluck:

I'm so glad that you care about these bunnies and are trying to look out for them by catching them and finding them a home! Thanks! And I agree with Pipp about trying the have-a-heart trap :) You said you threw a banana peel in the enclosure earlier- I think that's actually a great idea. Maybe you could put out a whole bunch of bananas. Most rabbits love bananas, mine would all pick bananas over any other food. And like you said, they smell very strongly!

Good luck in catching the bunnies! I'll be checking up on this thread often :) Oh and the thing about the baby running into the pond is so sad :(

hi there..im pretty good at catching domestic buns in the wild ..even the ones that have been there awhile...first u have to stop free feeding them for a day..(i know sounds bad) but you want them super hungry...then u use vanilla creme wafer cookies...its bad for buns but they LOVE THEM..and they get very distracted when they are munching on them....also rolled oats they go crazy over too,,,it will take a few days of them trusting u enough to get kinda close then u gotta net them ...just give them tiny pieces to lure them in..(dont feed them alot cuz they will fill up and be gone quick...)
ive caught numerous domestics that have been dumped with the vanilla wafer and net em method,, sounds basic and silly but after months of trying all kinds of methods ,..that was the only one that worked.....
u gotta remember that once they are netted you have to pounce on the net and hold them to ur body so they dont struggle and get hurt in it,..,dont try and remove them from the net until ur in somekind of enclosed area ..cuz they WILL escape... now the only prob with this method is ..the other bun that u dont have yet will be VERY scared of you now...and they dont do as well in the wild when they are alone...2 of them seem to care for each other ..
one more method seems to work for other rescuers before but i havent tried myself..is bird netting,or strawberry netting ,,it keeps the birds outta ur garden or trees and its plyable and comes in big sheets ..with two people u can coral them into it and wrap them up...its like soft fencing and alot of bunny rescuers swear by this method...
if all else fails...maybe set up an enclosure for them that a dog or coyote cant get into...put food and bedding and water in there for them and maybe that will give them some kind of escape to run to in case they are in danger...im worried about them...im so glad that ur trying to catch these guys .they really need u right now..,good luck...

Back