Someone dumped 2 domestic rabbits off on my 5 acres

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, no luck! :(
I didn't see the brown all day, Sat. UGH! The black one stayed pretty close to the house, for most of the day & evening. I even left the trap set overnite in the area where the black one frequents. I just checked...it's empty.

I was able to get within 5' of it, as long as I didn't say a word. The minute I spoke to it...it hopped off. Would that be a signal to me that it was quite unhappy with it's "humans" that dumped it?

I asked for some advice when I went to the grainery...you don't EVEN wanna know what was suggested, because: They're "just rabbits". Needless to say, the "macho jerks" had no idea who they were making smart remarks to...even though I get corn there quite frequently. I soon ended the conversation. At least now they know to keep their cruel sick remarks to themselves & not share them with me. In short...I told them I'd be MORE than willing to do what they suggested, but only to the jerks that dumped 'em!

I'll contact that rescue group. THANKS!

You sound like a great bunny advocate :D I'm hoping you'll catch the bunnies, fall in love with them, keep them, and stick around on the forum!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
You sound like a great bunny advocate :D I'm hoping you'll catch the bunnies, fall in love with them, keep them, and stick around on the forum!
Me 2!:)

When my 6 week old baby bunnies at the time dispear and couldnt find him for 5 days.. The only way we got him was that my husband kept dropping rabbit pellets by the bunny. That is how we caught it!

(You sound like a great bunny advocate :D I'm hoping you'll catch the bunnies, fall in love with them, keep them, and stick around on the forum!)
me 3 !!

25ktwls.jpg

Well...here's Mahpsie. LOL! If I ever get close enough to Flahpsie, I'll post it's pic. I finally saw Flahpsie, again,after 36 hours of NOT seeing her/him.

Mahpsie was 10' from the house when I got this pic & 5' from the cage loaded with treats.:rollseyesThe treats laying in the open, go untouched.

I'm beginning to think they were never housed...just turned loose in somebody's yard till they probably got in their garden.

They want NOTHING to do with rabbit treats, pellets, apples, bananas, oats, cookies, etc. etc. etc. All they want is grass, clover, Queen Anne's Lace, etc.

Both of their dewlaps are gettin' pretty big. (See? I've learned SUMPIN' about domestics.)

No, if I catch them...I won't keep them, but...I'll keep them long enough to find a GOOD home for them. They've obviously decided they don't wanna hang together, anymore. I haven't seen them even in the same area, for days.

Mahpsie was running down the road, early this morning. Then, I saw him/her playing in the drive with a young wild bunny. Between that & not eating the rabbit pellets & treats...that's what's kinda clinched my thoughts of them never being raised as domestics.

Thanks for the invite to hang around with ya's. You's all seem to really love yer bunnies...but...I don't have TIME to care for ONE rabbit, much less two & do it properly.

And, Patti...I've contacted that rescue, today. Thanks. I'll let you know if/when I hear anything.

I'll keep ya's posted.

Thanks, again!

Yay! I'm glad you found Flahpsie again! Also I'm afraid maybe they're girls if they have big dewlaps. Hopefully their dewlaps aren't looking big because they're pregnant... I have no idea if their dewlaps appear bigger when they're pregnant, but I know they pluck fur to line their nests from their dewlaps so it kinda sorta makes sense.

Sorry to hear there's no chance of you keeping them! But thanks for being so good to them anyway :) Silly bunnies need to let themselves be caught. They sound like they're having too good of a time in your yard!

Yes you can pick them up from the scraff of there neck (if you have too!) dont pick them up by there ears.

Boy, this is starting to get frustrating. I've still not been able to catch either of them.

Mahpsie stays pretty close to the house, but...Flahpsie stays in the woods, for the most part.

If either of them are pregnant...how soon can I expect to see the young ones?

Thanks for the clarification on picking them up by the scruff. No worry...I'd NEVER pick them up by the ears. :(

I was on the rider mower, yesterday, and got within 2' of Mahpsie before it hopped off. I didn't have my glasses on, but...isn't a domestic rabbits nose supposed to protrude a little from the face? From what I could tell...Mahpsie's face was flat. The nose area is pink skin color & I saw no movement of it's nose.

Well, gestation time for rabbits is about 28 days. It's hard to figure out when they might have been bred, though, because you don't know for sure about the genders. It is often said that cottontails cannot breed with domestics, which I am inclined to believe, but some say it is possible.

My Muffin is a Holland lop and she has a flat face. Most of the lop-eared bunnies do (except for English Lops, who have HUGE flappy ears). We also have two Netherland Dwarves (Frida and Ben) who "look like they've been chasing parked cars" just like Muffin. Just like with dogs, some domestic rabbits are bred to have short faces like that. ;)

STILL no luck. This evening, a young wild bunny walked into the cage I have set with a stick propping the door open, in hopes that one of the domestics goes in & is big enough to trip the stick & shut the door. I figured seein' as how the little wild one went in, MAYBE one of the domestics will. The little wild one wasn't near big enough to trip the door shut, but...I'm pretty sure the domestics are. I've got it set feather light.

I haven't seen Flahpsie for 24 hours, again. UGH!

Claire...Thanks for the explanation of their faces. I literally LOL at the: "look like they've been chasing parked cars". HAHAHAHAHA!

I've still not heard back from either rescue place. :(

I'll keep ya's posted.

Thanks again!

For the one that comes close I would spend as much time as I could just laying in the grass talking to him or her. Eventually the rabbit will come up out of curiosity. If you are patient it will let you touch its face soon and then you can grab a fist full of fur and scoop up the rabbit. Sounds harsh but this is an emergency. I hope your local HRS gets back to you!

yea treasuresandstuff is right,.,,,buns dont really like u looming over them..if you get down to their level and just hang out with em..with a squished raisin all over ur fingers so they can get a wiff.....they will DEF be curious and come check u out..
.if they arent together then their obviously not bonded....not sure bout this but maybe somebody else can chime in..if they are opposite gender wouldnt they be chasing each other all the time...trying to get some tail??..do u ever see them together now?..im hoping if u dont that they are the same gender and just dislike each other...which is pretty common....and the dewlap thing points to females ..but ive seen a few males with a nice size gobbler on em too..
i seriously dont think cottontails and domestics can have babies...the wild bun has more chromosomes(or genes or somethin) then a domestic..so IF they even did the "deed" and got pregnant...they wouldnt survive..
honestly i dont know poop about this ..
pleeease somebody throw me a life preserver...
thbiggrin_2.gif

PeaceLoveFuzzyBunnies-c-2.gif

Well...if I had the time to lay around waitin' for a rabbit to come up to me...I most certainly would, but...I don't have that kind of time. I'm doin' all I can possibly do.

We've got field tile work goin' on & I was "afraid" Mahpsie would smell that freshness...I was correct. This evening, he/she was 250' from the house, right at the open end of the tiling work. (Tomorrow, the tiling work will be heading this way, right by the house.)

To make a long, funny story short...The ducks have inner clocks that tell them when to get in or near the pond for the night, for safety's sake. I was watching Mahpsie at 250' away, when the ducks decided it was time to fly to the pond. (They were all eatin' bugs in the same area with Mahpsie...) When the adults took off flyin' for the pond & the Momma ducks started walking briskly with their babies to get to the pond before dark...they musta told Mahpsie to head for home! :) Mahpsie literally ran all the way till he/she got to within 50' of the house. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! For a second, I thought there was sumpin' after him/her. What a sight! Needless to say, he/she started eatin' grass, the minute he/she stopped.

Another day, & I've not seen Flahpsie. :(

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just want to catch/trap them before it's too late. Not only are the predators a concern, but WINTER is a great concern. (I know, it's only June, but...time has a way of flying.)

I'll keep ya's posted.

Hi. I have free rang bunnies on my section, when there free range they become more friendly and come up to you.

Still haven't been able to catch Mahpsie.

Still haven't seen Flahpsie, but..tonite I trapped a cat. That's the 3rd one in 2 weeks. UGH! It's headed for the "humane society", tomorrow.

Still haven't heard from either rescue place.

Latest posts

Back