Smitten

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let Smit out last night to run around. She seemed a little stiff in the back end. I dont' know if that was just from the fact that I had let her out in several days or just something else going on. She's okay otherwise.

Hang in there, you guys. What will happen will happen, be ready for anything. Best wishes to you, Smitten, and the gang~~

Oh Paula you two are always in my thoughts because what you are going through is so close to my heart.
I am so happy that scare i had with Charlie is over because i would have been crushed if she did have EC but im happy she doesnt have it though.
Poor Smitten
Thinking of you both

Well if things can't suck any worse now Smitten isn't feeling well again. She seemed fine until this morning. I noticed the bladder sludge is back. I feel bad because it is my fault. I gave her alfalfa pellets over the course of a few days about two weeks ago. I ran out funds to buy greens. The money problem is a whole subject until itself. I was able to get the big kuhuna bunz into see the vet tomorrow night. That was the earliest I can get because I have an all day training at work tomorrow. Meantime I see if get her take some fluid via syringe. Really bad timing.

I gave her some Metacam that I had from her last bout of bladder problems. She didn't even fight me which means she really isn't well. She also peed on me but that can be washed out. I will continue to monitor her throught the night.

I don't think that the alfalfa pellets could have caused this if it were only for a few days. To get excess calcium/sludge, they need to be on it weeks if not months. Not to stir a new pot, but I would wonder why she is getting continuous sludge and is unable to filter out that calcium, especially such a small amount. Can you get some bloodwork done at the vets tomorrow? I'd like to see what a panel reveals this time. I'd continue syringing water and keeping her warm/dry for now... Best of luck at the vets tomorrow. Keep us posted on how things go...

Smitten had blood work and ultrasound done the last time. The consensus was it could be vaginal vault syndrome. She seem to do well just with medications even though surgery was considered.

Smitten took a turn for the worst last night. I thought she had passed around 1 am but she didn't. She was still breathing. Her heart hasn't stopped beating but she is gone. The eyes are vacant and she was very limp when I picked her up. I'm going to call the vet soon and have her put down. I really hate this.

I'm so deeply sorry for all you are going through (and have gone through) with her. It's the mark of an ace bunny owner to know when to let them go. As someone wise once said, it's the final act of love. I'm glad Smitten has had that love. she's a very lucky girl.

Thinking of you.

x

Smitten is hanging in there. She was more responsive than I originally had thought. The vet and I decided to see if she would respond to O2, IV fluids and antibiotics. She was really shocky. We did discuss euthanisia. I'm going to call later. Right now I'm beat and need to nap for a bit. At leastmyjoblet me have the day off.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

The big Kahuna bunz seems to be rallying. I spoke to Dr. Aumiller a few minutes ago and she said that Smit is more responsive. Smit has kicked at people and has sat up for a bit. As much as I want to shout for joy I realize things can change quickly. I'm going to visit the big girl after 3. I'm taking Sawyer with me. She may very well perk up with her bunny boy there at her side.

More later....

Latest posts

Back