Shya-she does what she wants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anaira wrote:
Wow. That knocked me speechless reading that...I am so so sorry. :( And I know it is so easy to blame yourself; I still blame myself about something for every one of my losses. Please don't say you killed him...you simply did not. *hugs*
Ditto! Don't say that. As a matter of fact Ditto 10 times. Learn, learn, learn. But it's not your fault. Don't do this to yourself.

I'm sorry for your loss. Teddy knew you loved him. It's tough when they leave us at any age.

K:)

Here, as anyone said above. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I can relate to you...
Couple of months ago, my two rabbits died. Yes, not passed away, they died.
It was too short a life for them, they were 5 months and 3 months. Yes, 3 months old. I felt their pain and I cried and grieved, but then I realized. I gave them the best possible time on this Earth, just as you did. You id everything in your power and now take care that you have Teddy as a n angel watching over you, that's the best type of guardian angel, an animal.
Talk to him still, he'll still be there.
Jj:expressionless

Thank you everyone for the kind words. They have helped and meant an immense amount to our family.

I introduced nappa cabbage to teddy on sunday. Most websites say it is safe and Shya eats it with no problems at all. I noticed Teddy didn't feel well Monday morning. We had an appointment at 3 that afternoon. By the time we got there the vet said he was in pretty bad shape. We were given medications and instructions for belly massages. Omar stayed up with him all night and tuesday 0430 he seized and died while we held him. It's been really hard on my husband as this is the first furbaby that has ever died on him. It's not like Teddy was old and we had to put him down. He died while my husband held him. He has a hard time even dealing with Shya right now. The big dog was howling and moping around as well. Today is the first day Omar and Sam have shown any signs of perking up. We will be die hard German lop fans for the rest of our lives for sure. They are pretty much non-existent stateside. I will specialize in rabbits when all is said and done with my Vet degree. I feel like we shouldn't have waited so long to take him in. Gas is a very serious issue and some things should be a must in your medicine cabinet like simethicone and critical care.

wow since Teddy has been gone Shya is OUT OF CONTROL. She keeps zooming around the house and she's into this and into that and nibbling on this and nibbling on that. She's not allowed in our bedroom and I caught her up on the bed last night. she BINKIED! I mean full on ninja flip karate chop binky!

I'm slightly terrified of her.....

Bunnies mourn and then they go on. She is showing dominance. And you need not to be afraid of her. Don't let her take advantage of you in this sad time.

Everyone is adjusting. And it will take a couple weeks. Just show her who's ALFA.

She's just performing for you because she believes it's her job now and she has to set examples that she can be the lead.

This is animal normal.

Don't give up and don't be afraid.

I think it's possible that Shya thinks she's chased Teddy away, so she's making sure you know she's the boss of the universe. Don't let her get away with it.

Have you all MET Shya?! She was sitting in my lap getting groomed and eating banana chips. The cat just walked by, like he was a good four feet away, and she flew at him growling. Growling for Shya isn't I'm nervous I want to scare you away. Growling for Shya is "You're about to get jacked all. to. pieces." She hasn't growled at us or given googely ears but her bold little personality is getting a lot bolder.

Maybe she does feel pretty supreme now that Teddy is gone. She was a lot more subdued when he was here.

Should I try pinning her down or picking her up? She really hates to be picked up and pouts in a corner if you do it.

Honey's personality is at the opposite end of the behavior spectrum, but do whatever asap after she does something dominant. If she's on your lap that probably means picking her up. And if she pouts too long, pick her up again, etc. It's not all that different from dealing with a human preschooler.

Gently press her head to the floor. :) Reuben used to be very aggressive, but he'd settle down every time I did that.

I don't know if this applies to rabbits; but sometimes with a group of rats, if one dies, others will start squabbling. The pecking order has been thrown into disarray, so they have to reestablish it. Maybe that's what she's doing? Making sure everyone remembers she's still top bun.

Interesting bit of data. Teddy was actually a Kleinwidder. Kleinwidders are what "german lops" and the "american mini lop" are bred from. His coloration was Thuringian? If that's a translated word I have no idea. Google translate only gets you so far. Although Thuringia is a state in central Germany
16406_171932_130000000.jpg

(this isn't my boy)
This is a great shot of his coloring. See the darker grayish slashes?
The larger version of these guys are deutsche widder at about 8 pounds.
Widders and Kleinwidders are only recognized in Germany.
German Lops are not recognized stateside but are shown in the UK, Germany and Holland.
German Lops have a higher weight limit than the American mini lop and a more pronounced "Roman nose"
Just ordered the ARBA rules for showing and a couple of other books. Excited to learn what all that mumbo jumbo rabbit lingo means.

Let the German Lop campaign begin!!
(thank you Teddy :hearts)

Shya needs something that's for sure. What that something is at the moment I have no clue. Teddy was absolutely the sweetest lump. His breed is known for being laid back and adaptive.

Shya seems to have settled a bit today. Or maybe she's just tired from being a holy terror. Last night I stuck my face under hers like alpha rabbits will do. She usually grooms me and I groom her back then we go night night. She wouldn't groom me so I gently pushed her head to the floor. She wiggled a little bit then kind of chilled. It was good until my old dog accidentally bulldozed into the situation. (she's blind) I am so lucky I still have a face.

Omar loves to see her binky on our bed. He'll shoo her out of our bedroom (and shya is getting just the teensiest bit more respectful of that) but if she's already up there he almost encourages her. Seriously we need a united front :pssd:. It's all fun and games until someones pillow gets peed on.

I'm gonna put her on the bed while he's sleeping. Let her tap dance all over his head. See whose laughing then!:nasty:

Lord have mercy Shya was in a mood last night. She even growled at me. She was kind of loafing and grinding her teeth but the whole thing just looked off. Being paranoid after Teddy I give her a once over getting growled at after feeling her belly. Turns out she just had the hiccups. :biggrin:

I was on Etsy looking for rabbit signs and slightly peeved that everything was all about bunnies. I said something to Omar and he replies back but we do have a bunny whats the issue?
Well Shya is not a bunny she's a blood thirsty rabbit. Try saying bunny to her face.
So Omar gets down nose to nose and sings "bunny bunny bunny you're a bunny"
Shya promptly nose bonks him in the eye.

Not gonna lie I peed myself :laugh:

I just went from crying to laughing so hard I was crying in the span of a minute and a half.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Teddy-lump. We had a foster who was like that too. She was older when we go her (about 4), and we only had her for about 8 months.

I'm glad Teddy was able to teach you something about German lops (or whatever the fluff he was) that will make you introduce them to Texas so you can give one to meeeee!

Also, as a vegetarian, I hate whataburger. And as a healthfood nut, I hate that my partner is a true Texan and loves it.

Also, about the foodstores, the brookshires near me won't give bunnyfood. Natural grocers is phenomenal. As is HEB.

And Shya....I think she's secretly giving the Tipster some binky lessons. I've never seen Tippy binky like she has been tonight. I adore Shya's shenanigans.

Good to see Shya has an attitude. lol! She's feeling her oats and now being top bun is letting everyone know where she stands.

Believe me, I know about being paranoid. After the incident with Neville, I'm constantly checking all my boys and now my new girl. It gets easier, but losing one really hurts. I still think of Teddy and you and Omar.

Keep strong.

Weren't you born and bred somewhere up north tippy mom? If that's the case we can still be friends. Hate is such a strong, strong word.

Karen-when you first mentioned Neville's little head tilt my heart just sank. I had to e-mail the chappy and put him on the prayer list. Glad he's getting better. It is so scary to see their fragile little bodies in disarray.

Speaking of delicate flowers (yeah right) Shya had her Easter pictures today!! I've found her true calling in life!! It's to be a Diva! She was so good. I dont know what came over her and I'm not really sure I left with the right rabbit but she was so cute!! She let me pick her up no problems and manhandle her and put her little handmade bows on her. People she was posing. She even kerplopped down for a rest on the backdrop. She was washing herself and her little ears. She pulled an ear down and was cleaning the tip of it. Lord have mercy we all almost died from cuteness overload. She was so chill in front of the camera. The photographer was absolutely in love with her and in about an hour she took 200 pictures. This is just a little sneak peak of whats to come.
javascript:void(0)
16406_221655_480000000.jpg

Omar wants to make post cards and send them to everyone. lol What a marshmallow.
And dont tell people I say cute and melt over rabbits.

Latest posts

Back