Shya-she does what she wants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just before bed time in our household.
16406_071451_400000001.jpg

16406_071451_390000000.jpg

Check with people in your grocery store...some of them will take discarded leaves of produce and give them for bunnies. Ours in small-town Texas won't, but when I'm in Austin, every single one of the 6 guys who works in the produce section knows me by sight, knows what Q eats, and will fill up bags of food for her every time I'm there.

If your local...Krogers? Brookshires? Not sure what they use in Katy....won't do it, try going to a Natural Grocers. Do you have those? We have one in Dallas, and they're really good about giving me bunny food.

Oh that is a good idea! We have all of the following in the Houston/Katy area. I had totally forgotten about Brookshire brothers until you said it. lol. We're currently in Germany so it's a little iffy. They're VERY big on "green" stuff here. I'll ask around.

I miss whataburger the most. That's the first thing I'm going to eat when that plane lands in Oklahoma.

Whataburger started in Corpus Christi Texas in 1950. It's a chain resturant/burger joint that's spread north and a little east out of Texas. True Texans have the value menu memorized.

Oh Lordy help me. Someone is selling Flemish Giant Babies for 15 bucks. I can tell you now she's a crappy back yard breeder letting her babies go at 4 weeks. Sad part is, I want one.

kmaben wrote:
Oh Lordy help me. Someone is selling Flemish Giant Babies for 15 bucks. I can tell you now she's a crappy back yard breeder letting her babies go at 4 weeks. Sad part is, I want one.

Poor babies. Hoping they do well, but someone is going to have a heartache eventually. Way too soon to leave Mom. If the breeders doing this, what else are they doing that you don't know about.

Just food for thought. Don't know this person. Not saying they are doing anything wrong other than allowing the kits to leave their Mom too soon.

Flemish Giants are truly the neatest BIGGEST rabbit I've seen.

K :)

And I think they develop slower than smaller breeds, so premature weaning is even worse. There are lots of people behaving badly out there.

I could never upset Shya and Teddy this close to flying anyways. I couldn't take a kit just a couple months old and fly them 12 hours. It wouldn't be a healthy trip for them and I don't think the airline would allow it anyways. Teddy and Shya have a good relationship without a third wheel coming into their lives to ruin it.

If I was going to get a purebred rabbit I would hold out for a Belgian Hare. I would love to get a baby rabbit to teach and train. Both Shya and Teddy came to us as grown rabbits with some issues, Shya more than Teddy. I wouldn't trade either one of them for anything though.

We had Shya a couple of months and I felt bad that she was all alone. My husband said he wanted a lop eared next but he wanted to wait until we got back to the states. Well you shouldn't be browsing the pet classifieds and stumble upon a very adorable lop-eared rabbit that's already neutered and comes with a cage. I told Omar we were going to go look at a dresser.

Now people I couldn't keep a secret to save my life and I'm a terrible liar but Omar bought my story. He knew something was up when we walked into that ladies house and the first thing he saw was Teddy. It took him a whole week to decide and 60 dollars later our lump Teddy came home.

I was going through my jewelery box for the garage sale and Teddy sat in my lap the entire time with his poofy feet in my jewelry box helping. He nibbled on this and that and gave his opinion on what to keep and what to sell. Best 60 bucks I ever spent.

kmaben wrote:
16406_111638_010000000.jpg

16406_100630_350000002.jpg

16406_100630_340000001.jpg

Seriously, someone go get a job. You're expensive.
lol. They will tell you they have a job.

Cats are holding down the chair.

Rabbits are holding down the floor.

Dogs are holding down the couch.

K:)

I work for the two most awesome optometrists. Woke up this morning and Teddy is hunched over, tooth grinding, and a tight belly. Hopefully it's just something as simple as gas but the vet will let us know for sure this afternoon. My doc asks me how my weekend went and I explain about Teddy. My doc looks at her schedule and tells me to call people in early and rearrange some things so I can have an extra long lunch and get out of work early to nurse Teddy and take him to the vet. Astounded!! I hearts you so much ma'am.

Giving him simethecoin and tummy rubs. He had a gurgely gut yesterday evening and I honestly didn't give it much thought. He was eating and running around like normal until this morning. We shall see what the vet says.

Fingers crossed it's an easy fix.

Hoping it's just gas for Teddy. Gas and bunnies never get along. Please let us know how it goes.

And isn't it a treat to have such good employers who understand personal issues? Good for them.

Well I'm an official crappy rabbit owner. Teddy has some serious gas. Vet showed us the x-ray and his stomach is supposed to be so big and it was seriously about 5 times the normal size. Vet said it wasn't the worst case she's ever treated but it was pretty serious. 4 medications, some critical care mix, and lots of tummy massages. Neither one of us will be getting much sleep. Already have the alarm set for getting up and checking/rubbing him down. Thankfully Omar has off tomorrow to play nurse.

After Shya's eye injury and now Teddy's bubble gut the vet is probably turning us into the authorities as I type this.

Poor baby. :pray: Get better.

So sorry to hear about the bad bout of gas. A crappy bunny owner, IMHO, would have left poor Teddy suffer. Would have truly missed all the signs and would never take them to a doctor or tried to figure out why their bunny wasn't his self. It happens. Learn from this mistake and get Teddy back to his sweet self. Believe me, I learned with Dobby. Thankfully not too bad of gas, but still felt bad. And learned. Once Teddy is back to his ole self, you should try Brandy's nose to tail technique. You can find it in the "Okay is this normal" thread.

Thanks Karen for the sweet words. Teddy didn't make it and died this morning. No time to even rush him to the E-vet. My sweet lump of a rabbit is just gone.

Your supposed to live with them for a long time. I only had him five short months. I didn't get to have years worth of stories to tell on him. I killed him before he even made it to his second birthday

Wow. That knocked me speechless reading that...I am so so sorry. :( And I know it is so easy to blame yourself; I still blame myself about something for every one of my losses. Please don't say you killed him...you simply did not. *hugs*

Latest posts

Back