Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LassieBunBun

Reaction score
United States of America, New York state; Upstate
I don't really know how to start this thread.... The side of Thumper's face looks off (I'll post a picture below), he was fine this morning and when I came home it looked like he was eating some of Blossom's hay and he went to sleep but when he woke up the side of his face looked wet but he never got a drink of water. Now he's asleep again and so isn't Blossom so I can't tell how he's feeling. He has been drinking more water lately but so hasn't Blossom because it's been really hot so I didn't think it was a big deal, and it probably isn't but I just had the feeling that I should mention that. Anyway here's his picture, this was taken about 30 seconds to a minute after him waking up.

Attachments

• 20220707_175312.jpg
    20220707_175312.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220707_175320.jpg
    20220707_175320.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 18
I would suggest keeping an eye to see if he is having any drooling issues. He might have lain on something wet -- in which case you probably won't see it again. But if it is recurring, then something is up.

On a side note, it looks like he's due for a nail trim.
Ok and I know, things have been so crazy lately that I haven't had the time but I'm planning on doing it tomorrow, Saturday at the very latest.

Ok this is a few hours later but I did see him eat and he let me touch that spot and it felt...crusty? That's the best way I can describe it and when I touched it he didn't flinch or bite or anything. Hopefully it's just a wet spot.
Sometimes if a bunny lies in something wet that’s not water (like a pee spot) for a few seconds, it dries up slightly crusty on their fur. That might be what happened here, unless it’s a drool issue like jbun mentioned.

Maybe he could have gotten some hay stuck in his mouth that caused the unusual drooling. But if it happens again and/or he continues to drink more than normal, or you notice anything else off with your bun, it could mean there's a possible dental issue, or possibly some other health issue going on. Increased drinking can be an indication of a potential dental problem(rabbit drinks more to try and sooth mouth pain), or other possible health problems. If your rabbit isn't completely back to normal or you have any concerns there is a potential health issue, it's best to have your bun checked out by a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away before this worsens to the point your bun stops eating.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html
(LINK CONTAINS MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://lbah.com/rabbit/rabbit-teeth-conditions/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I got a better picture of his face. My mom (I am an adult but I still live at home, it's kinda complicated and I don't want to say anymore on that) says that it could be just be hay stuck to his fur along with watermelon juices from the night before I started this thread/post. He's still acting normal, eating, drinking and pooping his usual amount.

Attachments

• 20220710_145304.jpg
    20220710_145304.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 4
Back